Queen Margrethe II, Current Events Part 2: June 2020 - August 2023

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
And in her equally traditional Teletubby outfit... :D

Should Mary sometime in the future have to step in for Frederik and present such a watch, I think it will have become mandatory by then for also to dress like a Teletubby. - Now, there's a sight to remember! ?

So, Teletubbies... Did they inspire her or did she inspire them?

So, Teletubbies... Did they inspire her or did she inspire them?

Who can say?

There are persistent rumors that the Teletubbies were the result of an inebriated experiment in Santa's workshop in Greenland.
The real Santa lives in Greenland as everybody knows. The others are imposters or decoys.

But why do you think QMII travels to England each year? Not just to buy Christmas presents and visit her Regiment and have tea with QEII. - She is visiting her Teletubbies as well.

Good news, JR76.
She is after all 80.

Today is different from all other years, to put it mildly!
If people (including you perhaps?) wish to send QMII a New Year greeting you can do it here: https://kongehuset.dk/
And if you give your permission it may be published.
Photos and scans of handwritten greetings (no doubt also including drawings from children) can also be attached.

You cannot find the "gratulationsliste" under the English section.

Last edited:
How well that she has been vaccinated and that it has been announced.

Queen Margrethe is currently spending her winter vacation at the hunting estate in Trend and has sent a greeting:

The first signs of spring have begun to appear in the forest floor, on shrubs and trees and in small and large gardens around the country. The Danish nature is something very special, and we should all be happy about that. In the past year, nature has been a free space for many of us, and we have experienced Denmark in a new way. In the time to come, we must continue to live with restrictions, but in more than one sense, we are facing brighter times.⁣

Here from Trend, I send the warmest spring greetings to everyone.⁣

** kongehuset gallery ** instagram post **

The Queen looks lovely.
Quite a difference from when the Crown Prince family was there a few weeks ago in snow and ice.

And as usual wearing her Teletubby outfit, which must now be considered a dress uniform for her. ?

No, her hat doesn't have the regulatory wee point on the top and the colour is a bit off. Perhaps she is trying to wean herself off her favorite 'Teletubby' look.

"It is Easter Day, and on that occasion, Her Majesty the Queen was today at a high mass in Aarhus Cathedral, where the royal confessor and bishop of Aarhus Diocese, Henrik Wigh-Poulsen, was in charge of the Easter service."

https://www.instagram.com/p/CNPT8lEgozv/

Really nice to see the queen at the Easter day Service at Aarhus Cathedral.

QMII has been interviewed by one of the radio channels under DR1:
https://www.dr.dk/presse/foedselsda...dtryk?cid=newsletter_nb_presse_20210414153226

Here she explains that she is very attentive to how she use the Danish language and that she makes a deliberate effort in renewing her phrases, avoid using the same phrases in the same interview, or speech and that she hates quoting herself.

In the interview the hosts go through a number of interviews with QMII over her reign, where she has used novel expressions and expressions that has now become an established part of the Danish language. (To me the word: dumsmart = dumb-smart/clever springs to mind. I.e. a remark that is supposed to be smart (and funny) but really expose the one who utter the remark. From a New Year speech where she chastised the Danes for speaking less than friendly to and about immigrants. - Aaand perhaps PH as well...)

Danish humor can be hard. It's positively soaked in irony and self-deprecation and often very subtle. Often delivered as dead-pan humor, it can be difficult to handle for some foreigners who often take what is said literally.
Like saying to a colleague who has been employed for 20+ years, with an expression of despair: "We sure haven't been lucky with you! You mark my words: You ain't going to grow old in this here firm."
It is really a friendly, almost loving remark.

The eggs were frequent gifts from the Romanovs to their relatives around Europe who eventually started wearing them as necklaces, bracelets or used them as ornaments in their homes. Queen Sofia of Spain also wears an egg necklace to the Easter Sunday service and Princess Elisabeth of Denmark and her brother Count Ingolf are both also said to have (had) chains of eggs in their possession.

In a new interview for the radio program "Wise in language" on P1, Queen Margrethe II talks about her relationship to words and language, and about how Queen works to make the language alive in speeches and interviews.⁣

“I have always been interested in languages. I have never been able to stop talking, so I did it from an early age, and I remember my mother telling me that I thought words were funny - and I still think so, ”says the Queen, among other things. in the conversation with the program's host Adrian Hughes.⁣
The conversation will be brought on the Queen's 81st birthday tomorrow at 11.00 on P1 and can subsequently be heard on DR Lyd.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CNspHwygT9y/?igshid=ydzcwjkxkv9z

QMII has been interviewed by one of the radio channels under DR1:
https://www.dr.dk/presse/foedselsda...dtryk?cid=newsletter_nb_presse_20210414153226

Here she explains that she is very attentive to how she use the Danish language and that she makes a deliberate effort in renewing her phrases, avoid using the same phrases in the same interview, or speech and that she hates quoting herself.

Very nice. It is no wonder she is esteemed for her intelligence and articulateness.

Danish humor can be hard. It's positively soaked in irony and self-deprecation and often very subtle. Often delivered as dead-pan humor, it can be difficult to handle for some foreigners who often take what is said literally.
Like saying to a colleague who has been employed for 20+ years, with an expression of despair: "We sure haven't been lucky with you! You mark my words: You ain't going to grow old in this here firm."
It is really a friendly, almost loving remark.

As a foreigner who would surely take it literally ;), what does it mean when delivered by a Danish colleague of 20+ years?

Last edited:
I was a little surprised when I saw it's a row-boat!
The majority of Jews were ferried across to Sweden in small fishing boats, like this: https://images.lauritz.com/images/14D1A4F4C0D3470B157E6CAFDC9D98B4

There were thousands of family-boats like this all over DK back in 1943, so it was possible to blend in with the general traffic and slip across to Sweden under the cover of darkness.
But this harbor is located about 10 Km from the Swedish coast, so I guess some Jews were simply rowed across. Or at least rowed out to see, before the outboard engine was turned on.

I get sentimental when I see and hear a small fishing boat, usually light blue, and the distinct tuk-tuk sound of the two-tact engine. Reminds me of the boats in the harbor of the small town I grew up in.
Fortunately the vast majority of Jews in DK lived in or around Copenhagen, making it easier to hide them and also smuggle them across to Sweden.
It was considerably more tricky for Jews living in other parts of DK.
It was very difficult to hide them. If someone learned that Jensen was probably hiding Jews in the attic. The whole fishing village would know within 24 hours!
And the geographical distance also made it more difficult to smuggle Jews to Sweden. All fishing boats had and still has an ID number that clearly says what fishing town the boat is registered in. And back in 1943 a small fishing boat from Jutland might attract attention if it was seen heading east towards Sweden.
Yet, only a few hundred out of some 8.000 Jews were taken.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom