Kate Middleton Current Events 9: June 14-26, 2006

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
thanks for the info, being across the pond i thought churchill used the v sign for victory and then it caught on as a peace sign. i use the peace sign all the time, hope i haven't insulted anybody by mistake. i can't believe that's what she meant to do, she hasn't really put a foot wrong yet, i'd be surprised if she started now. imo she's a pretty young lady in her 20's doing what most do, party with friends, have fun and shop. (yes i know they also work, but we don't know she doesn't) they only gets photos of her shopping and going out, a very limited exposure to her day to day life. i'm just thankfu she seems well brought up and down to earth, it could be worse she could be a charlene with cigs hanging out of her mouth and inappropriate clothes and behaviour.

i can't imagine if princess diana or camilla have flashed something like that to the press all thru their lives. but no, i don't think they've ever than done that, although considering what they've gone thru with the press. just recall the pictures of both of them when they're skirts were hiked up <of course, the most recent was camilla's> and the photogs took advantage. and the nest day, you'll read it in the morning papers with extra ridiculed editorial. things lilke that happened a lot of time. but camilla didnt budge up and put some V hand signal.

Im sorry for this sour opinion of mine, i dont intend to argue but this is my personal opninion. maybe you can marry your way into royalty.. but you earn your way into good reputation.

Last edited:
Dear, dear. I think I must be careful too because I didn't know the rudness under that gesture. I thought it's just a Victory or Peace gesture, that's it - I do it all the time.
While if it was rude hand gesture (I mean, if Kate intended it to be one), it really, well, rude and impolite. Many Royals go through hell because of the press but none of them (as long as I know) did a thing like that.
But couldn't it be that she didn't intbend it to be the rude gesture? What if she, due to some reasons, was showing Victory or Peace?

IMO under the circumstances she's in, i don't think she's showing a Victory sign to the photographers. :D

Yes, I think Kate probably learned from the V sign experience. Here in the US, it it not a big deal. I have done it plenty of times. Funny how different parts of the world have different signs and whatnot. Some of us may think it is rude, while others think nothing of it. I personally wouldn't have, if someone wouldn't have said what it meant in England.

I can't believe people make sudge a big deal out of this because I don't think that kate meant anything rude by this because that would mean she has no brains. I think the V may have stood for the virgins company? or maybe she was just being weird with her fingers. Don't really know what she meant by this but I don't think she would be stupid enough to make rude handgestures or at least not with the paparazzi around.:eek:

little_princess said:
I think the V may have stood for the virgins company? or maybe she was just being weird with her fingers. Don't really know what she meant by this but I don't think she would be stupid enough to make rude handgestures or at least not with the paparazzi around.:eek:

probably true. but in any rate, i've seen so many pictured hand signals from celebrities who were so pissed off with photogs. so its natural for somebody to think it was meant as rude the first time you'd see this picture.

Since I live in the U.S., the "V" sign meaning the same thing as the middle finger is something new to me. To me, it doesn't really mean anything since people do it all the time here who mean no offense. If Kate is truly "flicking" off the media I hope this is just a one-time thing.

^ But Kate is British and so using the British meaning of this hand gesture. Also if this gesture was meant for her to show the V-sign of the Virgin company or peace, then I think that is even more stupid knowing full well the British meaning of that gesture!:(

I've always understood the palm-inward "V" sign to have the Agincourt-related defiance meaning which Skydragon noted. Built into that is a certain amount of "go to hell", too, of course, but I find it amusing rather than offensive.

I first saw it used by Danny Thomas on his US TV show decades ago. I was very young and it was a family show, and I suppose that's why I have always taken it to be a mild and just naughty way of expressing frustration and defiance. I liken it to saying "bloody" or "blasted" when the "f" word could be used instead. It's a gesture I've often used, and I think it has a completely different meaning from "the finger".

And as for it not being appropriate for someone connected with the Royal Family, I vividly recall the Princess Royal telling photographers to "naff off".

It's not a big deal on my scale.

Roslyn said:
I've always understood the palm-inward "V" sign to have the Agincourt-related defiance meaning which Skydragon noted...
Yes, that's what I'd always thought about the "V" as well - not quite as strong as the finger.

Last edited by a moderator:
princesslily said:
^ But Kate is British and so using the British meaning of this hand gesture. Also if this gesture was meant for her to show the V-sign of the Virgin company or peace, then I think that is even more stupid knowing full well the British meaning of that gesture!:(

Perhaps she may have felt like being naughty. She knew what the sign meant but also knew it was for Virgin. That way she was able to escape being called on it and if so, she could just plea it didn't mean the obscene gesture.

I Dont think she meant anything offenseive (But I Wouldnt do something like that again lol )

This lady is becoming overexposed & famous for no apparent reason other than for dating a prince. I would suggest that she goes back to her discreet life and stop attending every celebrity party scene, it makes her look like a fluffy, useless socialite. From the latest news and pictures of her looking drunk and flipping the papparazzi, it seems to be someone in desperate need for a serious media training, if not basic etique.

The photo with Kate and the infamous V sign appears to be photoshopped. Look at her hand closely and the fingers making the V is not properly aligned with the rest of her hand. Is it perhaps another Sun-made story?

Hmmm I dont, know, but I dont think, that Kate is so stupid! I think, its really photoshopped... the Sun is simply stupid tabloid, which affects people.
Because: Have you seen this pohoto in other serious newspapers or in TV or in photo agencies?

Lamyah said:
This lady is becoming overexposed & famous for no apparent reason other than for dating a prince.
Dating a Prince is generally enough to make one (over-) exposed and famous. Dating the heir to the British throne more so.

We are all doing our bit to reinforce the exposure and fame by reading and commenting about her. It's called public interest, and, as an example, is the reason the Kate Middleton current events thread is now up to Part 9.

We shouldnt critize her for the press she gets, any other woman in the world in her case, would have the same or even more press than her. So far she has being able to deal with it nicely.

Public interest? I don't know, but she is stil human. she had a normal childhood and she never lived in big palace. She had her privacy. Then she fall in love with prince and now, she is throw to tabloids... and they are writing lies. so really thanks for public interest, but it have to have degree. And this is more interest than enough.

Lamyah said:
This lady is becoming overexposed & famous for no apparent reason other than for dating a prince. I would suggest that she goes back to her discreet life and stop attending every celebrity party scene, it makes her look like a fluffy, useless socialite. From the latest news and pictures of her looking drunk and flipping the papparazzi, it seems to be someone in desperate need for a serious media training, if not basic etique.

Basic etiquette! :) It's exactly the thing she is in dire need! As well as everybody else who thinks it is not a big deal. A sophisticated woman shouldn't do such a thing, no matter what the circumstances are. Oh, wait! Did I say sophisticated? Sorry, that's not Kate!

Supposing the sign was meant to stand for Virgin.... if it is so, how can you say she is not courting the press? What is it then? :confused:

Ok, she made a mistake. Everybody does time to time...but praising her for it! Oh come on! What would you say if the queen did this when she decided she had enough of the photographers? Ok, Kate is not queen yet...but maybe she'll be one day...(although I don't think she is suitable for the role)

well said :)

whether she was endorsing Richard Branson's logo or giving them the finger, its inappropriate. Its tacky to endorse some product like an advertising campaign, and its unlady like to show your frustration in such a way.

melike2 said:
Basic etiquette! :) It's exactly the thing she is in dire need! As well as everybody else who thinks it is not a big deal. A sophisticated woman shouldn't do such a thing, no matter what the circumstances are. Oh, wait! Did I say sophisticated? Sorry, that's not Kate!

Supposing the sign was meant to stand for Virgin.... if it is so, how can you say she is not courting the press? What is it then? :confused:

Ok, she made a mistake. Everybody does time to time...but praising her for it! Oh come on! What would you say if the queen did this when she decided she had enough of the photographers? Ok, Kate is not queen yet...but maybe she'll be one day...(although I don't think she is suitable for the role)

Finally someone who agrees with me! I was beginning of think that everyone was telling me off for saying that.

princesslily said:

The facts are that you don't know and it seems to be in an individuals mind what it may or may not have meant. In the UK it is not really seen as abnormal and many people use it, (lower, middle, upper and aristocratic classes). It is all to do with what was meant by the people involved. As this headline shows, the press will go with an attention grabbing headline knowing that some people will not read the actual story.

Prince William's girlfriend shocks photographers!
London: Kate Middleton, British royal Prince William's girlfriend, shocked photographers by making apparently rude gestures when she left a London nightclub.
http://www.newkerala.com/news3.php?action=fullnews&id=13676

coolgirl said:
i can't imagine if princess diana or camilla have flashed something like that to the press all thru their lives. Im sorry for this sour opinion of mine, i dont intend to argue but this is my personal opninion. maybe you can marry your way into royalty.. but you earn your way into good reputation.

Neither Diana nor Camilla were or have been snapped doing the 'V' but, I'm sure they have used it on more than one occasion. Didn't Diana attack a photographer, take his camera, rip the film out and then throw it at him?

I don't think she attacked a photographer...but she did come up to them when she was skiing with the kids and asked them not to take pictures of the children (William and Harry) as it was scaring them.

"But when he refused, she turned to Kevin Duggan, a 28-year-old Irishman passing by. Mr Beirne said he was forced into a painful armlock and thrust against a wall while the Princess screamed: "Get the film".

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/htmlContent.jhtml?html=/archive/1997/04/02/ndi02.html

None of the Royal Families are saints, is the point I was making, Kate who is not even a member yet, is being torn apart by some it would seem!:)

Last edited:
I don't think Kate is being "torn apart". Her gesture seems over the top, given the photos taken of her weren't that close up, and she was at a celebrity event that would have attracted a lot of press without her. Now nothing has been written about any photographs shouting abuse at her. If that was the case, her finger salute would be understandable. Everything has a context. Though as another poster pointed out, Kate does seem to be enjoying more of her celebrity status. I'm sure most 24-yr olds would be thrilled to be invited to parties like the one Mr Branson gave. But the lady is damned if she decides to make the most of it and have a good time, or gets labeled as a bad sport for not smiling.

Avalon said:
Dear, dear. I think I must be careful too because I didn't know the rudness under that gesture. I thought it's just a Victory or Peace gesture, that's it - I do it all the time.

A peace sign is with the palm facing out. A V sign is like flicking someone off -- palm in.

I was away for the weekend and was kinda shocked to see Kate dancing like a drunk lunatic in one paper and her giving V in another.

This girl has not put a foot wrong for years and all of a sudden she is getting bad press for doing very stupid things.

Don;t care what anyone says, going to social events that are media based is not doing her or William any favours.

It makes you wonder what is the real Kate, is the sweet, butter wouldn;t melt Kate all an act to look good for William.

i have to say the gesture certainly looks like she's flipping them off. if it was the victory sign, the thumb and last 2 fingers would be closed. it still doesn't change my opinion of her though. she's been wonderful through it all and if she's done something as mild as this then we can hardly fault her. would you rather see her break down in tears in public? then everyone would accuse her of being over dramatic...the poor girl can't win. as for taking advantage of her relationship by going accepting invitations such as this one...ANYONE in this situation would do the same thing. now that she socializes with these people there's nothing wrong with her attending these events it makes perfect sense. should she say no to all these people? that would be ridiculous.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom