Tiaras And Hair

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
and at last...jaja...i hope you like them...kisses ;)

Attachments

• 31.jpg
    31.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 404
  • 32.jpg
    32.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 295
  • 33.jpg
    33.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 662
  • 34.jpg
    34.jpg
    22.3 KB · Views: 415
  • 35.jpg
    35.jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 3,756
  • 36.jpg
    36.jpg
    27.5 KB · Views: 363
  • 37.jpg
    37.jpg
    20.3 KB · Views: 258
  • 38.jpg
    38.jpg
    24.6 KB · Views: 389
  • 39.jpg
    39.jpg
    26.3 KB · Views: 525
  • 40.jpg
    40.jpg
    32.7 KB · Views: 377
i know this is a thread bout the hair & the tiaras..but just gotta comment on these two tiaras alone

i always thought this was THE ugliest tiara of all the tiaras the swedish roayls wear... (knappdiademet..whatever that is in english..)
http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=210268&d=1131309125

that was until i saw this awful thing..i got nooo idea what its called in english but its "ståldiademet" in swedish...
http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=210295&d=1131310040

oh..n well..neither of the hairdos are...good...in my opinion...esp not the one with knappdiademet:rolleyes:

Tiara's are like hats, they need to suit the shape of one's head and face. Very important in wearing a tiara is having a really experienced hairdresser! Princesses Mathilde and Claire of Belgium always have a hairdo that suits the size of their tiaras. Also, tiara's are very often inherited or passed from one royal to another. Most of them (the tiara's) are re-sized to fit the wearer and the fashion of the moment. Proof of this is the (in)famous Dehli Durbar tiara worn by the Duchess of Cornwall. On Queen Mary (the original owner) it looked great for its time and was shaped like a (closed?) crown -- on top of Queen Mary's sheep-like curls it looked right in proportion for its era. It has been remodelled to a more "tiara" like shape -- for which shape it is far too high. On Camilla's hair it looked like a beauty queen's Swarowsky extravaganza. It is probably worth a queen's ransom, but that doesn't make it beautiful.
Queen Elisabeth II is another one guilty of the "wrong hair/wrong tiara" sin. Wearing eye-spectacles doesn't help the look either.

http://lafayette.150m.com/mar9033a.html
(The V&A Lafayette Negative archive)

i think one of the princesses that need more help with her hair when using a tiara is princess maxima

I noticed many of these ladies have thick hair, which is perfect to style for a tiara to help weigh it down properly.

Laurentien, Victoria of Sweden and a few others have thinner hair so it must take some work to get the tiara to look right on them.

I wish someone would tell Sophie to take her wedding tiara and have it re-mounted so the metal part it sits on is not so prominent.

I know......but it looks tacky when you can see the base of the tiara so blatantly displayed.

i agree that it is tacky. but when diamonds perch above it i wouldn't mind it being there

Swedishme, I must agree with you on the first tiara. It looks as though some existing brooches or dress ornaments, or parts of a stomacher type of thing were soldered onto a metal hairband and voila! They called it good. Not much design effort went into that one and it is not very flattering.

At the time of her death, some magazines published a very nice picture of Queen Elisabeth the Queen Mother, wearing a fabulous tiara (the "oriental tiara""?). She looked superb and regal but it was also very apparent that age (90+) had taken a toll on her hair. She had almost no hair left in front. The tiara still looked good on her because the proportions tiara+face were right (and she smiled so sweetly!)

http://www.royal-magazin.de/qmum.htm This is not the photo I saw first, but it shows what I mean.
Photo: www.royal-magazin.de

Last edited:
Just a thought... I saw this picture of Amanda Peet at a premeir and she was wearing a thin head band made out of diamonds it looked really good on her brown hair. I can't find the picture online but I saw it in a magazine. I think that would be a cool take on a tiara, just a thing diamond head band. Rania would wear it well so would Mette-Marit. If anybody could find the pic it would be appreciated, I've looked everywhere for it. :) What do you think?

Last edited:
is there any of the older royal aldies that have long hair and wear tiaras in different hair settings i was thinking of the ladies over 75

A further take on the topic of tiaras and hair

-Tiaras should be set in the middle of the head and should be slanted at a fourty-five degree angle (little specific here hey?)

-Tiaras should be backed by an updo so the hair acts as a backdrop to the tiara and allows the headpiece to become part of the hairstyle rather than a seperate piece

Courtesy of
http://www.halfpricetiaras.com/dosanddonts.html

As a side note if anybody knows how to make the links look neat rather than showing the whole URL feel free to clue me in :)

mary had a very oldfashined hairdo with her tiara this sunday i have read that some people think it was to much and to high and to much extentions

Last edited:
I think if your going to wear your hair down tiaras look best at the back of the head on an angle. I love that style. The way Rania wears it sometimes and the way Camilla wore it at the diplomatic dinner.

personally....i love the way Princess Alexandra of Denmark, CP Letizia, CP Mathilde, CP Mette-Marit, and Diana, the Princess of Wales wear a tiara....

abt the tiara Mary wore earlier at the new year's reception....i think that it's the color of her dress that doesn't match the color of her tiara.....her dress is tooo dark...her tiara didn't STAND OUT as much......i dun like Mary wearing that ruby tiara (seems to be tooo big for her head or sth), but i like the one she wore at her wedding!

she is so elegant. i think that is what a royal should look like. she defines royal in those pictures. thank you for sharing them

Infanta Cristina's tiaras through the years:

Sources: 1. Hola; 2. Seeger-Press; 3. Corbis

I think her style has improved a lot through the years, but I still would like to see her wearing a different tiara than the floral one which is obviously her favourite since her wedding day; I think that she wears tiaras nicely because she has long beautiful hair and she knows how to style it to get great results with that:D

Last edited by a moderator:
well, Victoria looks very nice, but I believe that tiara would look much better in an older woman; she's too young to wear something that big (unless she became Queen, then the tiara would be ok) but it's cool anyway

crisiñaki said:
well, Victoria looks very nice, but I believe that tiara would look much better in an older woman; she's too young to wear something that big (unless she became Queen, then the tiara would be ok) but it's cool anyway

Personally I dont like that tiara..she has others more beautiful, but you are right, its cool :eek:

Adry said:
Personally I dont like that tiara..she has others more beautiful, but you are right, its cool :eek:

yeah, it's one of those tiaras you picture in Lilian's head and not in Victoria:D

I think Madeleine still has a shot with the Six Button Tiara. She's only worn it twice (with the base showing too much) and she might experiment with different hairstyles that might make the tiara flattering. IMO, Victoria has exhausted her use of the Four Button Tiara for awhile and shouldn't be allowed to wear it for six months. Also, the Four Button Tiara doesn't really match Victoria's head shape and the Amethyst Tiara doesn't also. I think the Button Tiaras are beautiful, so much history behind them...but the Swedish ladies (esp. Victoria) need to know when to stop wearing them/learn how to wear them (pick the right hairstyle and dress) and start picking up the beautiful ones (like the Baden Fringe Tiara - I think Victoria looks absolutely beautiful in this one).

do they have a maid do their hair styles or do they have an inhouse hairdresser?

semisquare said:
do they have a maid do their hair styles or do they have an inhouse hairdresser?

I've always wondered - when we see pictures of royal gala events - do the royal women travel with their hairdresser, esp when they visit another country for a gala event, eg, the wedding of Fred and Mary?

I believe that the Swedish Royal Ladies certainly travel with their hairdresser on important visits. Their distinct style & elaborate hairdos when wearing tiaras are very much present on visits abroad. They couldn't possibly do it themselves, and to find a 'local' hairdresser would really be more trouble, I figure. Usually, a hairdresser wouldn't be too familiar with placing a tiara right anyway! ;)
I should think that the same goes for other female Royals. I have a hard time imagining that anyone could do Queen Bea's much-criticized 'helmet hairdo' the way her personal stylist does, whoever he or she might be. :rolleyes:

Boris said:
I believe that the Swedish Royal Ladies certainly travel with their hairdresser on important visits. Their distinct style & elaborate hairdos when wearing tiaras are very much present on visits abroad. They couldn't possibly do it themselves, and to find a 'local' hairdresser would really be more trouble, I figure. Usually, a hairdresser wouldn't be too familiar with placing a tiara right anyway! ;)
Indeed they do. The two main Court hairdressers (a honorary title they get for the work they do for the royal ladies), who are both professional hair stylists, plan and do the big hairdoes for all of the big events. In an article I read once, they said that it can take weeks or months to plan a special hairdo for an important event like Nobel, were the hairdo has to match the jewellry, dress style, dress colour etc etc. And then doing the actual hair takes hours as well. Imagine all that, plus the time the royal ladies have to spend on getting their make up done etc. It certainly takes good patience!

Back
Top Bottom