The Queen: Would She Consider Abdication or Retirement?

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Being elderly doesn't mean incompetence, though. My mother and my father-in-law are both in their late 70s, and they can run rings around me!:flowers:

This has got to be a classic! The anti-ageist campaigners should be using your line, Mermaid.

She said as much in her 21st-birthday broadcast, when she pledged her whole life to the service of her country and people.

I think that is right. In Britain, the role of a monarch is one you are born into, for life. Its not something you do till you get bored, or want to retire to the seaside. I do not believe abdication is something the Queen is likely to consider with any seriousness. Provisions may need to be put in place to have the Prince Regent act if the Queen is unable to perform her duties, but I cannot see her abdicate her responsibilities at all.

I believe that the Queen is the last Royal (excepting only her husband) of her family to have the intestinal fortitude to take a vow and to live by it, heart and soul, unto death. Her vow to the nation on her 21st birthday resonates now as much as it did then.

The next generation is chock-a-block full of "the vow works until I don't feel like living up to it any more: then I'll blame someone else and meander off to please myself."

HM will be at her post until she's taken out feet-first, and I personally wish her a lifespan in excess of her mother's.

I believe that the Queen is the last Royal (excepting only her husband) of her family to have the intestinal fortitude to take a vow and to live by it, heart and soul, unto death. Her vow to the nation on her 21st birthday resonates now as much as it did then.

The next generation is chock-a-block full of "the vow works until I don't feel like living up to it any more: then I'll blame someone else and meander off to please myself."

HM will be at her post until she's taken out feet-first, and I personally wish her a lifespan in excess of her mother's.
Nicely said NAP!
HM talks the talk and walks the walk! Long live THE QUEEN! :flowers:

Excellent post!:flowers: I have the feeling that she is the last of her kind for the UK and the Commonwealth. The monarchy will remain, but it won't have the wide-spread respect that it has now. Even people who aren't keen on the concept of monarchy have great admiration for the Queen as a person.

I cannot see the Queen abdicating. I can see her turning over most of her duties to Prince Charles and really slowing down in the future. I think she's starting along that road now. I would think that the thought of abdication for the Queen is abhorrent and she would not seriously consider it.
She's got this thing about her perceived Duty and she will not be deterred. Nor should she. I like that she true to herself.

Quite Right ! :) ... especially after the whole King Edward VIII abdication crisis. The Queen's parents (King George VI & Queen Elizabeth) made sure to teach her about the importance of duty, sacrifice, and service.

As shown so aptly in this documentary- YouTube - Elizabeth II - Duty & Sacrifice - from DVD published in 2002 - part 1 of 11

Good question. She is too old to keep her work, I think, but the monarchy is her life. If she abdicated, I don't think peolpe would suport anymore. Particulary, I think prince William should be king just after her death/abdication, passing his father.

Good point that when she dies people wouldn't support the monarchy anymore. I think we will see a lot of changes when Elizabeth II dies. But the throne is inherited. Charles will be King and Camilla will be Queen.

How is it that this is still a continuing topic/question? :ohmy:
The Queen answered this over 60 years ago in a radio broadcast...
“I declare before you all that my whole life, whether it be long or short, shall be devoted to your service and the service of our great imperial family to which we all belong.”

God save the Queen! Long may she reign.
(because after Her Majesty is gone things will never be the same for the monarchy!:nonono:)

Personally, I am know that you might think I am very wrong.

I think that if the palace wants the Queen to abdicate she would just have to. I no longer think that Elizabeth II runs the show down there. And if the powers that be want Charles or William on the throne before her death, an abdication will be coming.
It is no longer the same world that she was crowned in. No conspiracy theory implied. There are just so many PR men and secretaries running things these days that she will probably be convinced that it is the right thing to do.

The Queen lives by her word and duty. Some biographers have mentioned that she served the country so well at the expense of her role as a wife and mother. But no one can argue that she hasn't worked tirelessly for her country and will until she dies.

I think that if the palace wants the Queen to abdicate she would just have to. I no longer think that Elizabeth II runs the show down there. And if the powers that be want Charles or William on the throne before her death, an abdication will be coming.
It is no longer the same world that she was crowned in. No conspiracy theory implied. There are just so many PR men and secretaries running things these days that she will probably be convinced that it is the right thing to do.

The head of state is a monarch, and not a committee of "PR men and secretaries running things these days." My own feeling is that you are greatly underestimating the experience of HM is dealing with "PR men and secretaries" and her resolve to carry out her duties, as she deems fit.

The head of state is a monarch, and not a committee of "PR men and secretaries running things these days." My own feeling is that you are greatly underestimating the experience of HM is dealing with "PR men and secretaries" and her resolve to carry out her duties, as she deems fit.

The only possible way the Queen would abdicate is if was deemed to be the complete end of a British Monarchy - and no-one would take her place on the throne. Instead we would have a President instead of King or Queen as Head of State and the debate of "Charles or William" would also be invalidated....

I agree with some of the things you are saying, but I think she has a say in things. I don't think anyone, the Men in Grey included, would want to see Elizabeth go and are probably dreading it because her death would mean they will have to face if Camilla will become Queen.

The Queen lives by her word and duty. Some biographers have mentioned that she served the country so well at the expense of her role as a wife and mother. But no one can argue that she hasn't worked tirelessly for her country and will until she dies.
:previous:! Here, here to that!

I think that it will be an error beacuse the monarchi is for all life

I highly doubt HM will ever abdicate. In the case of failing health, there is always regency. That's been done before. Unlike the Netherlands, there is no tradition of abdication, and I think many people would be opposed to it. And if HM lives as long as her mother, she could be on the throne for several more decades. As for the apocalyptic "End-of-Monarchy" situations, I could see her abdicating if she ever thought that it was the only way to preserve the monarchy. I would personally rather see the Windsors flee to Canada and rule from Ottowa than abdicate completely. Hehehe.

All these people who talk about Charles' acession as the end of the monarchy are really starting to irritate me. Where is the respect for the system anymore? Charles won't be a terrible monarch, and Camilla is hardly deplorable. You've got to work harder to hate them than anything else.

Last edited by a moderator:
All these people who talk about Charles' acession as the end of the monarchy are really starting to irritate me. Where is the respect for the system anymore? Charles won't be a terrible monarch, and Camilla is hardly deplorable. You've got to work harder to hate them than anything else.
Well there's no way he can run the country into the ground, Parliment runs things and despite what people SAY, when they get in front of Royalty (at least in the US--except for Mr. Russo who thinks I'm whacked) they all drool over them anyway.

Prince of Chota, you know I love you, but *cough* Camilla is hardly deplorable? Whitewash.....

I agree with you Prince Chota.
I see nothing wrong with either Charles or Camilla they are perfectly good human beings. They make each other extremly happy.

I believe that the Queen should abdicate/retire when she feels that Charles is ready not when somebody suggests. But i do believe that Charles is ready to succeed to the throne.
x

I agree with you Prince Chota.
I see nothing wrong with either Charles or Camilla they are perfectly good human beings. They make each other extremly happy.

I'd put it this way: both of them are perfectly unperfect human beings. However, I don't think that The Queen should abdicate and I don't think she will abdicate, because abdication is not traditional.

This is my view as well. HM shouldn't abdicate, and I don't think that she well. As for Charles and Camilla, I'm still getting used to them as a couple.

I'd put it this way: both of them are perfectly unperfect human beings. However, I don't think that The Queen should abdicate and I don't think she will abdicate, because abdication is not traditional.

She should do none of this: abdicate or retirement. She is a very good ruler and by the genes see Queen Mother she has a long reign in front of her

If anyone here has spent any time studying Queen Victoria they will notice some similarities about the passing of the throne to her heir.

The were a lot of people who feared for the future of the monarchy when Victoria died and felt that Edward VII was not trained or suitable to be King.

He had less training for the job than Charles but he rose to the occasion magnificently and become an excellent king and a much loved one at that.

Who is to say that the same thing won't happen to Charles?

He has made one major mistake in his life - he married the wrong woman first time round and for that he is to be condemned forever in some people's minds. I certainly hope that those people have never made a mistake in their lives.

:eek:
He has made one major mistake in his life - he married the wrong woman first time round and for that he is to be condemned forever in some people's minds. I certainly hope that those people have never made a mistake in their lives.
Agreed and that stigma that Diana helped nurture on him as being "weak" has festered. I don't find him weak at all and I think once he is crowned he will do very well (not that I hope HM passes any time soon! :eek: )

:eek:
Agreed and that stigma that Diana helped nurture on him as being "weak" has festered. I don't find him weak at all and I think once he is crowned he will do very well (not that I hope HM passes any time soon! :eek: )

I agree with you. I see Charles as a king that will very much reflect the upbringing and training he's received from his parents. He will also I believe be a very compassionate and involved king.

I do not see Charles as being weak at all. Quiet and introverted with perhaps a strong dislike of confrontations yes. Over the past years we've also seen the passionate and gentle side of Charles too. If weakness is a love of being out in and caring about nature and the environment instead of the nightlife, yachts and a full party social calendar, please... give me that kind of a weak man anyday.

I hope that Queen Elizabeth has many more years on the throne and I think one thing that does ease her mind is knowing that Charles is perfectly groomed to do more and more in her stead should it be necessary.

The Queen has been a sterling example to her people; of morality, service, duty before personal happiness, dedication and faultlessly upright behavior, as a Monarch should be. The longer she reigns the better, in my opinion. Long live Queen Elizabeth!

The Queen has been a sterling example to her people; of morality, service, duty before personal happiness, dedication and faultlessly upright behavior, as a Monarch should be. The longer she reigns the better, in my opinion. Long live Queen Elizabeth!
Agreed. She is like her astrological sign Taurus: Hard working, stable, secure, stubborn, warm.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom