The Queen: Would She Consider Abdication or Retirement?

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
HM The Queen

I Believe that Her Majesty takes Her Oath, taken at Her coronation, very seriously and She has absolutely no intention of retiring.

GOD SAVE THE QUEEN!!!

Is an Abdication coming up?????

I have read in three magazines in the past weeks about a rumour that Queen Elizabeth would be preparing the people of the United Kingdom and the Commonwealth to an abdication. This is due to the fact that The Queen is giving her son, Prince of Wales more and more Official Engagments on her behalf and some Official State Visits to the Prince of Wales. Do you think that an upcoming abdication is to be expected?

I honestly don't think an abdication will ever happen since she has basically promised to serve her country till the day she dies. I think Prince Charles is getting more official engagments simply because the Queen is not getting any younger and so can't make all the engagements and trips she would like to and this would also be good preparation for him when/if he becomes king.

The Queen will never abdicate. She takes her oath to serve as the Sovereign for life very seriously. Her health and stamina remain excellent and she will continue to carry out as many of her duties as her health allows.

The Prince of Wales and other members of the royal family will certainly increase their workloads on behalf of The Queen as she gets older.

i also don't think the queen will abdicate. she is very professional and her commitment to the country is great. moreover, the wedding of the prince of wales with camilla is quite recent and i think the queen may think it's good to give the duchess some more time to adjust (it's not even a year since she married and since she started her role as princess, not enough time to form her as a queen consort).

The day the sky falls, shall be the day Elizabeth II relieves her duties as Monarch!

"MII"

Last edited:
Margrethe II said:
The day the sky flalls, shall be the day Elizabeth II relieves her duties as Monarch!

"MII"

Just my thoughts. The Queen is not going to abdicate. When Queen Juliana of the Netherlands abdicated she said something like 'Typical Dutch' (I don't recall the exact words, but it was something like that), so a lady who speaks such firm language is not likely to abdicate soon, if at all... :)

sirmax said:
I have read in three magazines in the past weeks about a rumour that Queen Elizabeth would be preparing the people of the United Kingdom and the Commonwealth to an abdication. This is due to the fact that The Queen is giving her son, Prince of Wales more and more Official Engagments on her behalf and some Official State Visits to the Prince of Wales. Do you think that an upcoming abdication is to be expected?

What magazines were these articles in?

I have to agree with everyone else here--Queen Elizabeth won't abdicate.

Ken S. said:
What magazines were these articles in?

I have to agree with everyone else here--Queen Elizabeth won't abdicate.
I agree as well! The Queen won't leave her post until shes, well, dead!

The Queen has indicated several times over the past few years that she will never abdicate. She will slowly let Charles take up more duties, but she won't step down. Abdication is not going to become a British tradition as long as she is alive.

I think he is more ready than she was when she became a queen. I dont think she has any intention of abdicating, but we can see that Charles is taking more and more royal duties.

I really don't think Queen Elizabeth would ever retire or abdicate. It caused so much heartache for the royal family when Edward abdicated so i dont think there will be a repeat of that anytime soon.

Australian said:
I really don't think Queen Elizabeth would ever retire or abdicate. It caused so much heartache for the royal family when Edward abdicated so i dont think there will be a repeat of that anytime soon.

I agree. HM has to big sense of responsibility for her duties as a ruler to go retire or abdicate. I would be very surprise if HM ever do that. It would must happen smth really serious (I've hope that don't) for her to do that.

foiegrass said:
noo! she can't!
charles isnt ready!

He's quite ready; it's something that he's been preparing for all of his life.

The former Queen Elizabeth II, is that what we would call her i can't see her being known as HRH Duchess of Edingburgh again. NOOOOO your majesty don't do it. I adore Elizabeth and Phillip as they are like my grandparents and i want them to stay alive and ruling for a few more years please.

I do hope that Charles will reign, and soon. I love QEII, but i think she's old enough to retire now. She should enjoy her life now, and take a break.

banda_windsor said:
I do hope that Charles will reign, and soon. I love QEII, but i think she's old enough to retire now. She should enjoy her life now, and take a break.

That she will never do - she made a promise on her 21st Birthday to serve the people of the Commonwealth all the days of her life - whether it be long or short.

She also made an oath before God at her coronation to serve for life.

She takes both these promises - one to her people and one to both God and her people - very seriously. She would regard it as a betrayal, to both us and to God, to leave her position before He calls her home.

She simply won't 'retire'.

branchg said:
The Queen will never abdicate....period.

I agree with you - it is not an option in her book. Although, she may start to cut down on engagements that require her to be at Buckingham Palace and spend more of her week at Windsor Castle, she will continue to reign until her death.

The King (Queen) is dead - Long live the King (Queen) is how it has always been, with the exception of the Abdication which the Queen lived through and experienced the terrible effect it had on her own father and the nation.

Let's just say the Queen does abdicate and Charles does indeed become king. What would be her title? Would she be reverted back to Princess Elizabeth?

kerry said:
Let's just say the Queen does abdicate and Charles does indeed become king. What would be her title? Would she be reverted back to Princess Elizabeth?

I'm not sure. I would think so, if the same standard is to apply for all abdications. I know that Queen Beatrix of the Netherland's mother abdicated in 1980 and was known as Princess Juliana until her death.

If you don't hold the position anymore, I don't think it would make sense for you to still be referred to that way. Actually, now that I think about it, she would probably be known as HRH The Princess Elizabeth, Duchess of Edinburgh, which was her title before she became Queen.

Sister Morphine said:
I'm not sure. I would think so, if the same standard is to apply for all abdications. I know that Queen Beatrix of the Netherland's mother abdicated in 1980 and was known as Princess Juliana until her death...

Thanks, Sister Morphine. Queen Juliana's abdication is exactly the reason I asked.

Interesting.

Though I'm not unquestionably certain, I've always thought that if it were the case (which it won't be), then HM the Queen would be styled just as her mother was...

Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth, The Queen Mother.

Afterall, she would be the King's mother so to me it makes perfect sense. Miantaining the precedent reflective of 'ones' postion.

Or would she revert back to Her Royal Highness The Princess Elizabeth, Duchess of Edinburgh? I wouldn't have thought so myself. Infact, I've always thought that to have been a Dutch 'tradition' of sorts.

Last edited:
I just can't imagine calling her Princess Elizabeth, she's been the Queen all my life and in my mind she'll be the Queen till she dies:cool:

It would require an act of Parliament to grant her the style of HM Queen Elizabeth the Queen Mother. It would be easy though, since it requires an Act of Parliament to abdicate. Barring a special grant of style/title in the unforseeable abdication, she would become HRH The Princess Elizabeth, Duchess of Edinburgh, LG, CI, CD, PC. (She was a Lady [actually Knight at the time, as there was no seperate grade until the 1980s] of the Order of the Garter, Member of the Order of the Crown of India, recipient of the Canadian Forces Decoration, and a Privy Counsellor. All of these would be resumed upon relinquishing the crown, as happened with Edward VIII)

All of this would require HM to do what for her would be an impossibility.

Leopold III, King of the Belgians did it. He was later known as 'His Royal Highness Prince Leopold of Belgium, Duke of Brabant' until his death.

I don't think if she abdicate, than she become Princess. I think she'll be known as the Queen Mother or still Queen Elizabeth. Recently King Norodom Sihanouk of Cambodia, abdicated from his throne, and know he's known as The King Father.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom