The Duchess of Sussex's Eveningwear Part 1: May 2018 - August 2019

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Looking good and sexy, Meghan.

The dress is okay...it's a bit plain. I'm fine with the length, but think the fit is off a little - it looks too tight around the chest area.

Love the shoes and the clutch and think her hair looks really nice.

I don't understand what the commotion about this dress is as I like it and think Meghan looks good. It is a bit plain but then again Meghan seems to like more "plain" colours and shades. There are definitely worse outfits out there.

I’m quite meh on this look. It’s a déjà vu of Meghan’s usual red carpet looks, an LBD and/or a mini dress. Which makes sense since this look was styled by Jessica Mulroney. I also don’t think this dress shape or skirt length is flattering to Meghan’s figure.

I was hoping for a cocktail dress not in black, so I guess I’m disappointed with the same old.

It's a nice dress but not right for her body type.

This designer says Meghan is "breaking tradition with daring, very sexy style choices..."
https://people.com/royals/meghan-markle-jeweler-breaking-tradition-jewelry-style/

I think Meghan is just being herself and rocking her own edgy, minimalist style. The designer is harking back to April 2018 at the evening gala celebrating the Queen's b'day, where Meghan wore the navy cape dress and jewelry accessories by this designer.

Not a fan of this look. It's way too short....proportionally off for her body type as well. A miss for me ..hope we don't see it again.

LaRae

Sadly I have to agree though I really wanted to like this dress on her. Great clutch and shoes though! :flowers:

My jaw dropped when I first saw the tuxedo dress but think of the venue and the musical. The theater. The Sussexes were not watching a Rodgers and Hammerstein classic; the musical is infused with hip hop, rap , soul, pop, show tunes with color blind casting. Very modern theater dressing for a very modern play. She is not wearing Daisy Dukes here and she would not wear this in the queen's presence. I think this may be a hint of revenge dressing - for all the negativity.

I think its an okay dress would have been nice with a brooch or something as its just there. You usually can never go wrong with black. Love the clutch too bad she didn't a gold accessory or two. I have no issue with the length at all as we have all seen this length on other royal ladies.

The Duchess of Sussex must have felt the deluxe expensive gold and black clutch was all the gold she needed on the evening along with her Welsh gold wedding band and diamond and gold wedding ring. :D

The evening was golden enough as it is, with Hamilton cast and creator in the house! I hope oodles of moolah was raised for Harry's and Seeiso's Sentebale! :crown6:

Last edited:
I like it, though I would have preferred a colour. I don't think it's too short, just plain and edgy. Love the clutch and her hair.

Perfect outfit needing a perfect figure like her's !

Prince Harry & Duchess Meghan (in @JudithNCharles, styled by @jessicamulroney) looking the height of sophistication at tonight’s special performance of @HamiltonWestEnd for @Sentebale.
They enjoyed a long chat with @Lin_Manuel and his wife (the musical is Meghan’s favorite!).

Via Omid Scobie Twitter

This is a first in the BRF, a celebrity stylist employed by a member of the royal family being tagged in tweets about Meghan’s fashion.

I think its going to raise some eyebrows in the Palace

Last edited:
Meghan looks amazing! She was photographed in a tuxedo dress a few years ago, she looked great then & now. Nice that she wears what she is comfortable & looks great in. Meghan supports so many countries in her fashion choices. Both Sussexes look great!

Here's a clearer close-up look, different photo view of Meghan's tuxedo LBD:
Meghan and Harry Attend Hamilton the Musical

It looks to me like she's wearing gold double hoop earrings.

And here's Omid Scobie's takes, with some posted video clips of Meghan & Harry arriving, and Harry onstage afterward with the cast trying on his singing voice. :D Nice to see video of Meghan walking in the LBD...

https://twitter.com/scobie?lang=en

I like the idea of this dress, earlier I based my opinion on what I saw in the pictures presented here.....well some sleuthing I saw the dress Meghan was wearing in a whole different light and wish I could get them transferred here, a very ill fitting dress...from the arm pit down to the waist the fabric bunches up and pulls tight across her chest making the top look like it is about to pop open in the front, not good IMHO. Also the back showed there were the outline of pockets be they real or fake it cheapen the dress for me. Also now I will agree the dress is way to short for her, her legs are so thin and it shows and I don't mind a short dress if it fits the lady wearing it. If the sizing had been a size larger with a better fit, perhaps a dress to wear again, not this one. Why have clothes ill fitting and smaller then what you are is beyond me. Why women have to think that being 1/100th the size of a man is great, really don't understand that .......

The Duchess of Sussex must have felt the deluxe expensive gold celestial clutch was all the gold she needed on the evening along with her Welsh gold wedding band and diamond and gold wedding ring. :D

This is not the gold celestial clutch, it’s a different one.
https://1.bp.blogspot.com/-UjaHiSOX...Jv15HJ4P7KQTQcKIrHTGYACLcBGAs/s1600/ct221.jpg

It looks to me like she's wearing gold double hoop earrings.

These are the earrings, a repeat.
https://4.bp.blogspot.com/-v5rT7Z7a...lZpATCLWJ6fHts8f7OPxAgCLcBGAs/s1600/talon.jpg

^^ Thanks, when I saw the face of the clutch, I thought it looked different, a black textured surface on the face and gold on the sides. I couldn't see the earrings very well in any of the pictures.

The earrings then are the same ones Meghan wore for the Queen's gala celebration in April, as discussed in the article I posted earlier. The designer said the gold talon earrings, a tusk bangle (Meghan wore again on her birthday), and a gold bracelet were all gifts given to Meghan by her friend Markus Anderson (purchased two days prior to the gala event in April).
https://people.com/royals/meghan-markle-jeweler-breaking-tradition-jewelry-style/

Last edited:
She looks stunning. She is young and slim and lovely. Her legs are just fine. She doesn't look dumpy and frou frou, which is great. She looks elegant.

Her legs are not her best feature. In fact, this dress does nothing for her body type,as many have remarked. It just seems like a little nothing dress, nothing special

She looks fantastic. Yes she us a royal but she is a young thirty something year old royal and it's great to see her find the balance. Matronly styles are not mandatory, or missed here.

Great fresh take on a lbd. :flowers:

Length is fine. If she was going to church or such, then I would have an issue.

Her style reminds me of Letizia which I love and hope continues.

(..)

Side shot:
https://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/newpix/...00000578-6110273-image-a-11_1535564770051.jpg
Definitely too short and I have seen better tailoring.
I always love a good blazer dress. I'm here for this look. It's sexy, but without overdoing it. Nice job.
I have to admit I liked the idea of this dress and as always with me, if you are going to have a statement top to a dress, an updo is de rigueur. There is nothing worse than a neckline, collar, etc. duking it out with long hair and looking just plain messy.

On the plus side, it seems that Meghan's time with the BRF has seen her natural posture change significantly and she is positively blooming after the summer break.

On the minus side, this shows in the way she stands and moves. Clothing that looked perfect before may sit in a totally different way and this dress is a perfect example. Standing relaxed, shoulders back and chin raised and tucked meant the dress pulled around the bust and bunched in the back at the waist.

Having a more shapely body with a smaller waist to bust and hips ratio is actually a drawback to off the rack dressing as most are aimed at a more standard shape and therefore will need alteration before wearing.

While her skirt was short I am not unaware of the fact that she has really long legs. My two nieces are the same height and on a chance meeting they both sported the exact same skirt. My mother thought Andrea looked good but that Karen's skirt was too short which was, of course, incorrect. They were both the same length but Andrea has long legs and Karen, a long body. The result is a totally different perception, nothing more.
My jaw dropped when I first saw the tuxedo dress but think of the venue and the musical. The theater. The Sussexes were not watching a Rodgers and Hammerstein classic; the musical is infused with hip hop, rap , soul, pop, show tunes with color blind casting. Very modern theater dressing for a very modern play. She is not wearing Daisy Dukes here and she would not wear this in the queen's presence. I think this may be a hint of revenge dressing - for all the negativity.
I have to be honest and say my initial reaction was very much in concert with Madame V. Yikes and then Okaay.

Her ensemble was right on point for the actual event and she looked enviably chic. I loved that she raised her bun as it was very flattering, allowing a graceful neck to show above the collar.

I am torn on her accessories though. I like the stark simplicity of her earrings and because her clutch is a gloriously beautiful peice of art, I'll give it a pass. But oh those bare legs and day shoes were boring . . .

Last edited:
That is wonderful information from People magazine. Thanks Mia for the link. Wish we could get good information like that for all jewels.
Sigh. Sa la vie.

:previous: I am going to post something for you Tarlita in a general thread regarding high-end jewelry design references...

Madame Verseau said:
My jaw dropped when I first saw the tuxedo dress but think of the venue … the musical is infused with hip hop, rap, soul, pop, show tunes with color-blind casting. Very modern theater dressing for a very modern play... she would not wear this in the queen's presence. I think this may be a hint of revenge dressing - for all the negativity.

I have to admit I liked the idea of this dress and as always with me, if you are going to have a statement top to a dress, an updo is de rigueur... On the plus side, it seems that Meghan's time with the BRF has seen her natural posture change significantly and she is positively blooming after the summer break. On the minus side... Clothing that looked perfect before may sit in a totally different way and this dress is a perfect example..

I have to be honest and say my initial reaction was very much in concert with Madame V. Yikes and then Okaay.

Her ensemble was right on point for the actual event and she looked enviably chic. I loved that she raised her bun as it was very flattering, allowing a graceful neck to show above the collar. I am torn on her accessories though. I like the stark simplicity of her earrings and because her clutch is a gloriously beautiful peice of art, I'll give it a pass. But oh those bare legs and day shoes were boring . . .

Yes, I too reiterate my immediate reaction upon seeing this look: Meghan has come back from a much needed break with steely resolve. She seems to be saying with this mini tuxedo LBD, "Here I am. This is who I am. I shall not be moved."

The Duchess of Sussex looks edgy and adorable to me, with high-end class and sass. Yep, I can see in some of the closer-up views and the below video that the dress pulls very slightly at the sides of bust area, and apparently there's a bit of wrinkling at the back as she stands tall with erect posture, but I really think that's nitpicking. I wouldn't have noticed without looking for it after you pointed it out MARG.

I also have a different view than you regarding Meghan's toned and glam gams with the stiletto heels. Her bare legs look right on her, and very elegant. She's understated yet making a statement with this entire LBD look. It really works for the occasion and timing of their first public event after summer break. The look is a throwback to her pre-Harry style, with Duchess of Sussex relaxed sophistication and enviable VIP mystique, yet laid-back approachable ease.

IMO, Meghan's style is truly deep, like a bottomless well of simple, natural surprises. My style tag for the Duchess of Sussex/Success: Ineffable Chic :flowers:

We can see how Meghan moves in the LBD in this video

Last edited:
Anyone else having trouble seeing Page 7 of this thread? Every time I click on '7' I get either page 6 or page 8, never 7. Anyone? :huh:

I'm sorry if this is offensive to anyone but it's the best way I can describe it. For me, the outfit makes it look like she's about to show up at someones front door with tiny lingerie on or nothing at all. The trench coat reveal kind of look. I just don't find it suitable at all. I could easily see Rachel Zane in this outfit, with some leather look leggings.

I had to laugh, Lumutqueen, where have you been frequenting? ;) ? Furthest image from my mind when I saw what she is wearing. But maybe I've lived a sheltered life? :cool: It's a variation of the 'little black dress' imo and looks normal to me.

It's far to short, frankly for anyone let alone Meghan. I also hate the fact it's black. It utterly boring, please Meghan wear a colour for an evening out!

It's the requisite 2 to 3 inches above the knee, I think. Nothing untoward will be revealed. :flowers: As for the color, the 'little black dress' still holds for evening chic. Coco Chanel rules!

Here are more pictures inside the theater with Lin-Manuel, et al, laughing and talking before they sat down to watch the show apparently:
https://people.com/royals/meghan-markle-prince-harry-hamilton-lin-manuel-miranda/

Meghan is looking rested, comfortable and happy. I like the look the more views I see. And carrying the exquisite gold celestial clutch again works beautifully. That's enuf amazing bling all by itself. Meghan's style is truly deep, like a bottomless well of simple, natural surprises.

Hmm, my style tag for the Duchess of Sussex/Success: Ineffable Chic :flowers:

I agree. :flowers: She is setting the standard, not the other way around. She fits in but she is doing it with her style twist which is tending to be very minimalist and subdued. Very nice. :flowers:

I keep meaning to say and keep forgetting! ;) Meghan's hair at this evening event is gorgeous. Beautifully styled. She achieved a unique way with the bun. IMO this is the best look of her hair so far (though I have liked all of her hair styles). This particular style is sleek and unencumbered, yet still with flair. She could style it this way and weave jeweled flowers through it if she wanted (will she ever be so flashy?) It has innumerable possibilities, especially for a tiara! :flowers:

Last edited by a moderator:
Her legs are not her best feature. In fact, this dress does nothing for her body type,as many have remarked. It just seems like a little nothing dress, nothing special

The Duchess of Sussex is the most beautiful young woman in the BRF(imo) but ICAM...her legs are definitely not her best feature.

The tuxedo dress is elegant but would work better on a woman who is a bit taller with shapely calves.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom