The Duchess of Cambridge as Patron of Place2Be & Other Child Mental Health Charities

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
St. Andrew's fashion show 2018 will be donating its proceeds to the Anna Freud National Centre. As most of you know the AFNC's patron is a St. Andrew's alumna and participated in the fashion show while a student.

https://standrewsfashion.co.uk/

The Duchess of Cambridge speaks to pupils, parents and teachers about the importance of working together to support young people as they learn to be the best version of themselves during Place2Be Children’s Mental Health Week

Is Kate mumbling?

I have sometimes difficulties in understanding, what Kate says. Is she mumbling? Some consonants seem to have disappeared in her prononciation.

But it might be me - my english is not very good.

I have sometimes difficulties in understanding, what Kate says. Is she mumbling? Some consonants seem to have disappeared in her prononciation.

But it might be me - my english is not very good.

I agree. :sad: I experience the same garbling. It came across in that conversation that she, William and Harry had around a picnic table: significantly difficult to follow what she was saying. She is not articulating her words. She's slurring her words.

She sounds just like any other posh British person to me. But then RP English is what we’re taught in school and I watch mostly British news and TV.
Do you have the same problem with those people talking to her in this video?

She sounds just like any other posh British person to me. But then RP English is what we’re taught in school and I watch mostly British news and TV.

Do you have the same problem with those people talking to her in this video?

Not me. :flowers: Most everyone else is articulating. I work with language articulation (as it happens) and I can tell you Kate is not articulating (well) the posh British accent (in this instance). Very sloppy speaking. Okay for casual intimate conversation but for an interview as a public person, no. JMO.

BTW in her engagement interview she was articulating well. There's been a fall-off for some reason.

It’s the accent Kate would have been exposed to her whole life. RP English is also known as ‘public school English’. Kate has attended public school since a small child.

A few years back Max Foster of CNN did an interview with Prince Charles and they used subtitles for the American audience.

It’s the accent Kate would have been exposed to her whole life. RP English is also known as ‘public school English’. Kate has attended public school since a small child.

A few years back Max Foster of CNN did an interview with Prince Charles and they used subtitles for the American audience.

It's not the RP accent, it's that she is not articulating that RP accent. For some reason she has started to slur, rush through her words which means she drops a lot of consonants. I am agreeing with vicitor1234. :flowers:

It's not the RP accent, it's that she is not articulating that RP accent. For some reason she has started to slur, rush through her words which means she drops a lot of consonants. I am agreeing with vicitor1234. :flowers:

Everyone has a different ear. I can understand her as clear as a bell with no ‘slurring’

Last edited by a moderator:
Everyone has a different ear. I can understand her as clear as a bell with no ‘slurring’

That's good. :flowers: Please accept that others may have a different experience (and judgment).

It’s obvious that Kate has been practicing public speaking, probably with a coach, and I think this might have messed up her natural accent. So, now she speaks with a mix of them that might sound unusual to some people.
I understand her perfectly, but then I teach EFL and work with many non-native speakers, so am used to different accents.

I hear her fine but this could simply be a technical issue. The other voices we hear seem much clearer and they were taped while filming. They could have been indivually wired for sound, or the classroom was filled with people making the acoustics better. Kate seemed to be taped for her voice over narration in an empty room. They could have used different equipment with her.

If you wish to continue the discussion about Kate's accent, please take it to the Royal Accents thread.

I thought her message was fine. I’m glad she’s gotten in the habit of doing these video messages.

The Duchess of Cambridge, Patron of @Place2Be, will officially open the charity's new headquarters in London on Wednesday 7th March.

The headquarters will provide state-of-the-art facilities to enable @Place2Be to train more counsellors, teachers and school leaders to provide emotional and therapeutic support to children in schools.

Via Kensington Palace Twitter

On Wednesday 21st March, The Duchess of Cambridge will convene a symposium on the importance of early intervention to provide solid social and emotional platforms for children in their early years, helping them to become healthier and more resilient later in life.

Via Kensington Palace Twitter

Last edited:
Here's a video of HRH The Duchess of Cambridge from her visit to King's College London today.

In full - Duchess of Cambridge discusses mental health among children - 5 News

In full: Pregnant Kate passionately calls for help for parents & their babies

The Duchess of Cambridge has had a busy couple of days with public engagements,will miss her during her maternity leave.

The Duchess of Cambridge will undertake two school visits on Tuesday 5th February to find out more about the support offered to students, teachers and parents to help with mental wellbeing.

Her Royal Highness will first visit Lavender Primary School in support of @Place2Be’s #ChildrensMentalHealthWeek 2019.

The theme of this year’s Children’s Mental Health Week is ‘Healthy: Inside and Out’, focusing on the connection between physical and mental health.

The Duchess will then visit Alperton Community School to meet the UK’s first winner of the Varkey Foundation Global @TeacherPrize, Andria Zafirakou, and find out more about the programmes the school runs to support both students and teachers with their mental wellbeing.

Both schools are in the London area, Enfield and Wembley.

”She has a really deep interest in the early years and parenting and families,” David Holmes, CEO of Family Action and a member of her steering group, says in this week’s issue of PEOPLE.

“Being a parent changes your life so much,” he adds. “It’s great that she’s using her own experience and is interested in an area which is such a shared experience for so many.”

“She feels she can try and do something really significant over multiple decades,” says a Royal Foundation source. “This is something potentially for her working lifetime.”
Read more: The Duchess of Cambridge Is Turning Her Own ‘Struggle’ as a Mom into a Defining Mission

Last edited:
I’m looking forward to seeing her work going forward. She’s grown beautifully in her role as a senior member of the royal family and there’s so much more to come from her, especially as her seniority increases.

The Duchess of Cambridge has spent her day visiting schools in London to marking the fifth annual Children's Mental Health Week

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom