The Duchess of Cambridge as Patron of Place2Be & Other Child Mental Health Charities

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
HRH The Duchess of Cambridge, will attend the 2017 Gala Dinner for The Anna Freud National Centre for Children and Families (AFNCCF), held in The Orangery at Kensington Palace.

During the Gala, our Patron and invited guests will hear more about the work of the AFNCCF and in particular receive an update on the new Centre of Excellence which is currently under construction on Rodney Street near King's Cross Station.

Read more: Duchess to host AFNCCF at Kensington Palace Gala

New engagement

Kensington Palace @KensingtonRoyal
The Duchess of Cambridge, Patron, will attend the @Place2Be School Leaders Forum on children's mental health in London on 8th November

Last edited:
New engagement

Kensington Palace @KensingtonRoyal
The Duchess of Cambridge will visit the Hornsey Road Children's Centre to see valuable family and parental support services on 14 Nov.

It was nice to see Catherine active again this week - she really shines at the mental health events and other events where children and young people are involved. You can tell this is a topic that she cares about very deeply and I'm really glad that she is using her royal position to make a difference. Mental health and the stigma behind it is a very important issue, especially here in the UK as we as a nation are generally quite reserved when it comes to sharing our feelings and experiences; so it's great to have someone like Catherine encourage people to speak out (who, as a former victim of bullying herself, can probably relate to the effects bullying - as one example - can have on mental health). As someone who is still recovering from mental health issues of their own, I'm quite tired of the stigma behind mental health and how some like to write it off as a "private matter". I firmly believe that if more people were encouraged to speak about their experiences with mental health and their current positions with mental health, there would be less people suffering from it.

You’re so right, Catherine does shine at these mental health events but let me say HereditaryPrincess you too shine. You shine right here on this thread reaching people and illuminating something so important that others can’t express. You are powerful!

:previous: That made me smile - thank you!
Unfortunately therapy is also quite hard to get hold of here in the UK, and people can be on the waiting lists to see therapists for years, particularly in institutions like schools and offices. I have a friend who also suffers from depression and he was on the waiting list for his therapist for about 3 years until he could finally get appointments. Therapy should be available for everyone everywhere, but especially those who need it the most. There have been many stories in the UK media of people not being able to be seen by therapists in time at hospitals, sadly leading them to end their own lives because they did not get the support they deserved.

Not to throw the thread off on a tangent but I do have a question. How available are the 12 step programs in the UK. Here in the States there is a 12 step program for just about anything under the sun from alcoholism and drug dependency to overeating and emotions.

Until you stated that seeing a therapist in the UK isn't an easy thing to do, I was under the impression that therapists and self help programs like AA, NA, OA and EA were as widespread as they are in the States.

There are a number of AA and similar groups in the UK certainly. But they don't hold the same level as the do say in the US.

The many groups that have copied Alcoholics Anonymous - BBC News

Treatment facilities don't seem to recommend out patients become involved in these programs as often in the US.

The issue is these are self-help groups. there is no actual therapy. For some people they may help, but as a stand alone solution not so much. The whole 'anonymity' leads to the furthering of the 'stigma of alcoholism'. Many people would rather hide away in a meeting then admit they need help. Its getting people past that stigma, and realize seeking help is not weakness, and getting them into counselling which is the goal of groups like this.

Thanks for the feedback, Countessmeout.

All the more reason for me now to think that the work the Cambridges and Harry are doing to promote mental health is a necessity. In all walks of life and it all different kinds of situations, mental therapy and guidance is a big necessity that should be more readily available to all. Wherever one can find it. The important thing is to actually find it and have the courage to look for it.

The biggest thing to overcome, I think, is in that one little word that you've mentioned. Stigma. A mental health issue happens to all of us from one time to another and like a cut needing stitches, so do these issues need to be taken care of. The important thing to remember is that no one is alone dealing with things and the last thing any issues would be is a "black mark" or a "disgrace" or a "stigma".

THE DUCHESS OF CAMBRIDGE WILL VISIT REACH ACADEMY FELTHAM WITH PLACE2BE

Wednesday 10th January 2018

The Duchess of Cambridge will visit the Reach Academy Feltham, a school working in partnership with Place2Be and other organisations to support children, families and the whole school community throughout their school career. The Duchess of Cambridge has been patron of Place2Be since 2013, reflecting her interest in children's mental health and the importance of supporting children and families to give children the best possible start in life.

It’s a joy watching Catherine interact with children.

Some lovely videos from today’s visit

Last edited by a moderator:
Today: Unannounced Engagement-
HRH The Duchess of Cambridge, Patron, is attending the Head Start Learning Conference at the Anna Freud National Centre for Children and Families-

Catherine will be at this conference for rest of the day.

Last edited:
I like these unannounced events. They probably do too.

LaRae

I'm glad to see that she was present today at the conference and that the focus could be kept upon the topics being discussed instead of Kate's presence.?

I'm glad to see that she was present today at the conference and that the focus could be kept upon the topics being discussed instead of Kate's presence.?
I agree! Nice that she was present during many of the talks and meetings! I expect she has many exciting, worrying and inspiring thoughts tonight!

Kate seems to have found a couple of issues - children's mental health being one - that truly interest her and that I expect will form the backbone of her work going forward. I like seeing her do things like spending a full day at a conference, as opposed to going for an hour, getting the picture taken, then heading out. Spending a significant amount of time interacting with experienced people on their own turf will give her a depth of knowledge over time that will enable her to be a very effective and credible advocate.

The Duchess of Cambridge is to launch a new mental health project for young children, in the latest initiative from Heads Together during a visit to Roe Green Junior School in Brent on January 23.

Supporting young people was always at the heart of Heads Together for The Duchess. 1 in 5 children experience a mental health difficulty before the age of 11. The project is the result of the partnership between the Royal Foundation, Anna Freud Centre, Young Minds Matter and Place2Be

Via Kensington Palace Twitter

Last edited:
Last edited:
:previous: I know it's not a competition, but I'm laughing more and more every time I hear someone say that Kate is more introverted than Meghan.

Videos from ITN:

I know it's not a competition, but I'm laughing more and more every time I hear someone say that Kate is more introverted than Meghan

I agree to some extent as I do find that Kate is a bit more reserved, but over the years she seems more confident when she's interacting with people at her engagements.?

Agree also TLLK, however, I think she’s very mindful of her further role and that to me is a good thing. She’s doing great!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom