Summer Holidays at Balmoral: 2023 -

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Marengo

Administrator
Site Team
City
São Paulo
Country
Brazil
UK_zps6c589394.png

Arms of The British Monarch

Summer Holidays at Balmoral

From 2023

You can find the old thread here.

Last edited:
I wonder when does the king arrive at Balmoral?

I read that the castle will only be getting opened for the weekend the Prime Minister visits, the Ghillies ball and one or two other official things Charles might have on when he's up there. Apparently he will stay at Birkhall and any family who want to spend some time there will be using lodges on the estate. It seems the days of big family house parties at the castle are now over.

Birkhall has been Charles' retreat for so long, I can understand him wanting to stay there. But it does make me sad to think of the castle staying closed up and not being used by the family. Ah well, the Old Order changeth....

I hadn't read that the castle was staying closed, I'd seen that Charles will base himself out of Birkhall apart from 'semi official' things like the PM's visit, Ghillies ball etc when he will use Balmoral but nothing saying the rest of the family won't make use of it at some point. They could do a bit of both, who knows. But sad if no one really uses the Castle, especially for the first summer hols to Balmoral since the late Queen passed.

I love the idea of W&C hosting a cousins and children few days in the Castle.

I read that the castle will only be getting opened for the weekend the Prime Minister visits, the Ghillies ball and one or two other official things Charles might have on when he's up there. Apparently he will stay at Birkhall and any family who want to spend some time there will be using lodges on the estate. It seems the days of big family house parties at the castle are now over.

That’s a bit sad, but expected.

Where does the Princess Royal and family stay when at Balmoral, if not in the Castle? Certainly, I would open it up for her alone!

I do think the royals have had access to properties on the estate. It was publicly stated that they used other properties on the estate when the family summered together during the pandemic. Anne has often done quite a few stints of Scottish engagements all in one go which makes me think she uses Balmoral as a base for that time, I've always wondered if she has done so staying somewhere else on than he main castle. We also know William & Catherine were given a cottage to use and did so during even their uni days including when the castle wasn't being used by HM. I think the issue is whether the other properties can accomodate enough people.

If Anne used Balmoral as a base when undertaking a number of royal duties in Scotland at a time when the castle wasn’t being used by the Queen and was otherwise empty of staff, surely that would have not only been rather odd but would have involved quite a lot of unnecessary travel.

Unless all these engagements were Highlands-specific one would guess that the majority of them would have been (would be) in and around Edinburgh, Glasgow or other large prominent cities and towns. I think it’s often forgotten just how isolated from even the rest of Scotland the Balmoral estates are. With the exception of Inverness there are no large urban centres conveniently near at all.

Last edited:
King Charles and Queen Camilla attended the Crathie Kirk service, Balmoral, yesterday, August 13:

** rex gallery **

I was wondering if they were in Scotland!

I think they usually visit the Castle of Mey the first week of August (and its website says its closed 24th July-9th August) so they may well have been in Scotland longer than we think and are now at Birkhall or Balmoral. Hopefully we'll see (or hear) of the wider family visiting soon.

I think they usually visit the Castle of Mey the first week of August (and its website says its closed 24th July-9th August) so they may well have been in Scotland longer than we think and are now at Birkhall or Balmoral. Hopefully we'll see (or hear) of the wider family visiting soon.

It will be interesting to see what the Balmoral situation looks like going forward. It is a lovely estate but the family primarily visited to spend some of the Summer with the Queen. I know Charles loves Birkhall but I thought when he became King he would have based himself in the castle itself in order to host wider family and friends.He could still have used Birkhall at other times of the year as he already does and even spent some time there once the family had gone. I expect William and Kate will go for a weekend so the children can spend some time with their grandfather but I'm not sure about neices and nephews turning up.

Last edited:
Charles attended the Mey Games last week while staying at the Castle of Mey. There were reports in the media that that was happening. His attendance was noted in the CC. He also visited some place in John O'Groats last week as well.

We normally don't know who is there and when unless they are seen going to church.

Normally the Yorks will have been and gone by now - would be up before Beatrice's birthday and before Philip would join the late Queen. Even last year the only reports of any of the Yorks being there was very early August and not again until after she died. Remember the picture of Elizabeth with the great-grands taken last year and released in the week after she died, was missing not only the two in the US but Sienna and August who weren't there at the same time as the others.

It will be interesting to see how the "new summer" works out. Personally I can't see Charles not inviting certain members of the family, it will either be an open invite or none IMO. TBH it may be that Beatrice and Eugenie do visit at the same time as the other cousins now, with a long summer to fill it is not surprising some family visited at other times to the rest, especially with Beatrice's birthday being in August.
We'll just have to wait and see what plays out.

Balmoral has lots of cottages and lodges and I think if any family members want to spend a few days on the estate they would be welcome to do that. They could come and go without even seeing Charles and Camilla if they so wished. There's talk that Charles plans to rent out a lot of these little properties to holiday makers in the future just as he does at Dumfries House so members of the public may get to enjoy Balmoral for the first time ever.

Balmoral has lots of cottages and lodges and I think if any family members want to spend a few days on the estate they would be welcome to do that. They could come and go without even seeing Charles and Camilla if they so wished. There's talk that Charles plans to rent out a lot of these little properties to holiday makers in the future just as he does at Dumfries House so members of the public may get to enjoy Balmoral for the first time ever.

A lot fo the cottages on the Balmoral estate have been let out for years. It is possible that more cottages may be made available to the paying public, and perhaps, for longer.

A lot fo the cottages on the Balmoral estate have been let out for years. It is possible that more cottages may be made available to the paying public, and perhaps, for longer.

Yes I think Charles wants to make the estate really accessible and it could pay for itself to a large extent.

Yes I think Charles wants to make the estate really accessible and it could pay for itself to a large extent.

I do not disagree with the view of making the estate cover as much of its costs as it reasonably can be, so that it is not a financial strain on him. I understand that is why this year, the castle will be open to the paying public till 16 August, which is later than it used to be.

I do not disagree with the view of making the estate cover as much of its costs as it reasonably can be, so that it is not a financial strain on him. I understand that is why this year, the castle will be open to the paying public till 16 August, which is later than it used to be.

Thst seems very in keeping with when the family used to go particularly Anne and the Phillips, Tindalls and Wales and Edward and Sophie. The Yorks always went earlier and perhaps this year not or indeed did but there are less of them and could stay in other accommodation.

King Charles and Queen Camilla attended Sunday church service at Crathie Kirk, near Balmoral, yesterday, August 20:

** dm article **

And today, August 21, King Charles inspected the Balaklava Company, 5th Battalion, The Royal Regiment of Scotland, at the gates of Balmoral:

** rex gallery ** dailymail article **

Last edited:
Have any other members of the RF joined the king and queen in Balmoral?

Have any other members of the RF joined the king and queen in Balmoral?

It has been suggested on Twitter that Andrew and Sarah are staying at Craigowan Lodge. I suspect the rest of the family will follow soon.

Chris Ship reports that Princesses Beatrice and Eugenie arrived with thier husbands and children today. The Wales are expected later on this week.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...-waiting-Lady-Susan-Hussey-attend-church.html

Royals pictured going to church (DM is good for one thing - pictures!)

Their Majesties in State Bentley
William, Catherine and Andrew
Edinburghs, Princess Anne and Sir Tim
Lady Susan Hussey (wondering if that could be Jack Brooksbank driving the car she in in?)

'Just wondering the accuracy of the attendees. If you notice in the first photograph, it appears that William is driving with Catherine in the passenger seat. In another photograph, Andrew is in the passenger seat with Catherine in the back. Perhaps coming and going?

Photos in and photos out. There doesn’t seem any videos or other pics out there atm so can only go on those. In time more pics might appear

I wonder if there will be a Church Service on September 8th to mark the 1st anniversary?

Back
Top Bottom