State Visit from the President of the United States: June 3-5, 2019

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
So disappointed that this thread was marred by the kind of political pontificating and hand wringing over nonsense that Twitter is famous for.

So relieved that this forum has an IGNORE feature so I could zero in on the ceremonies, speeches, visits, fashions and most importantly the celebration of the enduring alliance between the US and the UK.

Looks like the BRF survived day one of the state visit. What struck me was the level of protests this time around. Pro and anti Trump factions clashed in the street. Protests day is tomorrow June 4 and Trump Baby is coming back with Dump Trump. I'm concerned about how far this will go. I don't want to see Meghan, Kate or the queen used as rallying cries and bloodied shirts to be waved.

There were no clashes on the streets or elsewhere. There were people with differing points of view outside Buckingham Palace but there is nothing to suggest they were anything other than well behaved.

I don't understand the rest of your post. If there are protests, they are simply anti-Trump protests. They are nothing at all to do with the Royal Family and nobody is using them as a rallying cry.

From a friend who is in a position to know, I understand that the Trump children were invited! They didn’t just “drop by”.

So happy to see the Duchess of Cambridge wearing her very first sash! I'm hoping the high resolution photos will also let me get a look at the brooch she used to anchor the sash.

From a friend who is in a position to know, I understand that the Trump children were invited! They didn’t just “drop by”.

I assume that it was the American delegation who 'suggested' who to invite for the state banquet for 'their part'. So yes, if the president wanted his children to be invited, they were invited. I am quite sure that the idea did not originate with the British - otherwise they would be inviting children of heads of states for all state banquets and they are not.

So disappointed that this thread was marred by the kind of political pontificating and hand wringing over nonsense that Twitter is famous for.

So relieved that this forum has an IGNORE feature so I could zero in on the ceremonies, speeches, visits, fashions and most importantly the celebration of the enduring alliance between the US and the UK.

how do you activate the IGNORE feature?

Of course they were invited and didn’t simply drop in, but someone from the American side who was involved in organizing the state visit may have hinted that Trump would like his children to be invited.

I assume that it was the American delegation who 'suggested' who to invite for the state banquet for 'their part'. So yes, if the president wanted his children to be invited, they were invited. I am quite sure that the idea did not originate with the British - otherwise they would be inviting children of heads of states for all state banquets and they are not.

Honestly- of all the things that are Trump related that annoy me, this just doesn’t seem overly important. Yes- nepotism is alive and well. Some of his family work in the administration, whether you/I think they are qualified or not.

But really- it seems like a minor thing to me comparatively speaking. Of all the things Trump has said/done that IA really merit comment, it’s hard for me to care that his kids are at a State dinner.

At the least- I can hardly blame the Trumps for wanting to attend. I’d like to. Lol

For the banquet just want to say: Sophie finally got the tiara upgrade she deserve! :D:D

So happy to see the Duchess of Cambridge wearing her very first sash! I'm hoping the high resolution photos will also let me get a look at the brooch she used to anchor the sash.

She looks amazing!

Honestly- of all the things that are Trump related that annoy me, this just doesn’t seem overly important. Yes- nepotism is alive and well. Some of his family work in the administration, whether you/I think they are qualified or not.

But really- it seems like a minor thing to me comparatively speaking. Of all the things Trump has said/done that IA really merit comment, it’s hard for me to care that his kids are at a State dinner.

At the least- I can hardly blame the Trumps for wanting to attend. I’d like to. Lol

You are correct. He has far worse flaws than getting his family into the dinner, so to speak. I think the complaints is that the taxpayers pay for all his nonsense.

Last edited by a moderator:
Members of the First Family, even when they do not serve in the administration as the Kushners do, often go with POTUS on overseas visits. So the Trump clan all being there (barring the youngest I think?) doesn't strike me as unusual and is the least problematic part of this visit tbh.

Likewise, I always find it odd when I see British Royal guards playing The Star Spangled Banner , whose lyrics are inspired by an episode from the War of 1812 between the United States and the British Empire ( including Canada) .

What makes me giggle the most is when there's a state visit from the US to the UK, when the national anthem of "God Save The Queen" is played, Americans know the tune as "My Country Tis of Thee". Same music, different lyrics. :D

Personally, I prefer "God Save The Queen". Its been the national anthem since 1745 and the "colonies" were still under British rule.

What is the poor man supposed to do?

He is about three or four rungs down the royal ladder as is. So why shouldn't he leave before lunch?
He is supposed to mingle I imagine and he did give Ivanka Trump his attention.
So IMO Harry did nothing wrong or inappropriate. He just did his job as a royal who from a protocol point of view is some way from the top.
That he happens to be married to an American is irrelevant in regards to the formalities of a state visit.

I'm not surprised that Harry had a good conversation with Ivanka. Earlier, digging for information on just what Ivanka's role is, I found out that "Ivanka Trump is Advisor to the President. In her role, she focuses on the education and economic empowerment of women and their families as well as job creation and economic growth through workforce development, skills training and entrepreneurship." To me, it sounds like Ivanka and Meghan and Harry just may have a lot in common. ?

Last edited:
Not sure if this is the right place for this, so mods please move if necessary.

Does anyone know why the bottom of Trump’s vest is so far from the bottom of his coat? With the way it’s tugging from the sides, it looks like he has untucked his shirt from afar.

Thanks for photos and links!
Mrs Melania Trump looked all right. I expected her to have more refined ensembles. Her tan was plebeian. Mrs Kushner's outfits were awkward. The Duchess of Cambridge was the best dressed attendee of the state banquet.

Does anyone know why the bottom of Trump’s vest is so far from the bottom of his coat? With the way it’s tugging from the sides, it looks like he has untucked his shirt from afar.

It was probably too short for him.

Rose Hanbury, Marchioness of Cholmondeley was the best dressed IMO. I just love the simplicity of her gown.

Rose Hanbury, Marchioness of Cholmondeley was the best dressed IMO. I just love the simplicity of her gown.

Do you have a link?
I haven't seen a photo.

But she is a former model, so it's expected that she would look amazing.

The Obama children met HM on a PRIVATE visit to London with their mother. The carriage ride on the palace grounds was a treat for the youngest on her 8th birthday from the queen.

I laugh(without mirth) at posters trying to find a parallel with the Trump posse heading to London en masse during a State visit obviously for the sole purpose of rubbernecking and rubbing shoulders with royalty. There IS no parallel in presidential history.

As an American citizen and tax payer I am ashamed, embarrassed and disgusted
Thanks for your post

She wore a tiara at the Spanish state banquet. Why didn’t she wear one tonight ?
Maybe she distinguishes between royal state visits and non-royal state visits?

As I side note; I dislike her look (on this picture and the one other that I've seen - maybe it looks better in motion).

It was probably too short for him.

He's had a lot of issues with the tailoring of his clothing. If you look at his everyday suits, they're very ill-fitting at times.

She wore a tiara at the Spanish state banquet. Why didn’t she wear one tonight ?

I assume because at the Spanish state visit, she would be surrounded by ladies with tiaras at the head table. Where tonight, since it is a republic state visit, she wouldn't be the only one without a tiara.

Not a huge fan of her gown.

Does anyone know who the African American woman in the black dress and orange shawl is? She appeared to be wearing 2 orders and was accompanied by the Duke of York.

He's had a lot of issues with the tailoring of his clothing. If you look at his everyday suits, they're very ill-fitting at times.
This isn’t a tailoring issue. It’s not even close to how it’s supposed to be. :eek:

Does anyone know who the African American woman in the black dress and orange shawl is? She appeared to be wearing 2 orders and was accompanied by the Duke of York.

Vivian Hunt

Back
Top Bottom