State Visit from the President of the United States: June 3-5, 2019

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Court Circular 3rd June:
Buckingham Palace

The Viscount Brookeborough KG (Lord in Waiting) was present at Stansted Airport, London, this morning upon the Arrival of The President of the United States of America and Mrs Trump and welcomed Their Excellencies on behalf of The Queen.

The President of the United States of America and Mrs Trump today commenced a State Visit in London to The Queen.

The Prince of Wales and The Duchess of Cornwall welcomed The President and Mrs Trump on behalf of Her Majesty in the Garden of Buckingham Palace.

The President of the United States of America and Mrs Trump, accompanied by The Prince of Wales and The Duchess of Cornwall, walked to the West Terrace of Buckingham Palace and were met by The Queen.

Gun Salutes were fired in Green Park by The King’s Troop Royal Horse Artillery and at the Tower of London by the Honourable Artillery Company.
A Guard of Honour was provided at Buckingham Palace by Nijmegen Company Grenadier Guards.
Her Majesty’s Body Guard of the Honourable Corps of Gentlemen at Arms, The Queen’s Body Guard of the Yeomen of the Guard and a Detachment of Household Cavalry were on duty.

The President of the United States of America and Mrs Trump this afternoon drove to Westminster Abbey where, having been received by The Duke of York, The President laid a wreath at the Grave of the Unknown Warrior.

The President of the United States of America and Mrs Trump afterwards had Tea with The Prince of Wales and The Duchess of Cornwall at Clarence House.

The Queen gave a State Banquet this evening in honour of The President of the United States of America and Mr Trump at which The Prince of Wales and The Duchess of Cornwall, The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge, The Duke of York, The Earl and Countess of Wessex, The Princess Royal and Vice Admiral Sir Tim Laurence, The Duke and Duchess of Gloucester, The Duke of Kent, Prince and Princess Michael of Kent and Princess Alexandra, the Hon Lady Ogilvy were present.

The following had the honour of being invited:

Suite of The President of the United States of America and Mrs Trump:
His Excellency Mr Robert Wood Johnson (Ambassador from the United States of America to the Court of St James’s) and Mrs Johnson, the Hon Steven Mnuchin (Secretary of the Treasury) and Mrs Louise Linton, the Hon John Mulvaney (Assistant to The President and Acting Chief of Staff), the Hon John Bolton (Assistant to The President for National Security Affairs), the Hon Ivanka Trump (Assistant to The President and Advisor to The President), the Hon Jared Kushner (Assistant to The President and Senior Advisor to The President), the Hon Stephen Miller (Assistant to The President and Senior Advisor for Policy), the Hon Daniel Scavino (Assistant to The President and Senior Advisor for Digital Strategy), the Hon Lindsay Reynolds (Assistant to The President and Chief of Staff to the First Lady), the Hon Kellyanne Conway (Assistant to The President and Senior Counselor), the Hon Sarah Huckabee Sanders (Assistant to The President and Press Secretary), the Hon Stephanie Grisham (Assistant to The President and Deputy Chief of Staff for Communications for the First Lady), Mr Donald Trump, Mr and Mrs Eric Trump, and Ms Tiffany Trump.

Specially attached to The President of the United States of America and Mrs Trump:
The Hon Dame Annabel Whitehead (Lady in Waiting), the Viscount Brookeborough KG (Lord in Waiting) and the Viscountess Brookeborough, Sir Kim Darroch (Her Majesty’s Ambassador to the United States of America) and Lady Darroch, and Major Nana Twumasi-Ankrah (Equerry in Waiting).

Diplomatic Corps:
His Excellency the Ambassador of the State of Kuwait and Mrs Al-Duwaisan.

The Cabinet and Government:
The Prime Minister and Mr Philip May, the Chancellor of the Duchy of Lancaster and Minister for the Cabinet Office and Mrs David Lidington, the Chancellor of the Exchequer and Mrs Philip Hammond, the Secretary of State for Foreign and Commonwealth Affairs and Mrs Jeremy Hunt, the Secretary of State for Defence (the Rt Hon Penelope Mordaunt MP), the Secretary of State for International Trade and Mrs Liam Fox, the Secretary of State for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs and Mrs Michael Gove, the Leader of the House of Lords (the Baroness Evans of Bowes Park) and Mr James Wild, and the Rt Hon Sir Alan Duncan MP (Minister of State for Europe and the Americas, Foreign and Commonwealth Office) and Mr James Dunseath.

Special Invitations:
The Lord and Lady Bamford, Ms Ruth Cairnie and Mr Anthony Heggs, Mr Mark Carney, Sir Roger and Lady Carr, General Sir Nicholas and Lady Carter, the Lord Great Chamberlain and the Marchioness of Cholmondeley, Mr and Mrs Ian Davis, Ms Cressida Dick, the Rt Hon Nigel Dodds MP and Mrs Dodds, Mr and Mrs Christopher Fisher, Mr and Mrs Jeremy Fleming, the Lord Speaker and the Lady Fowler, Sir Lucian and Lady Grainge, the Lord and Lady Hague of Richmond, the Baroness Hale of Richmond and Dr Julian Farrand, Mr and Mrs Peter Hill, Dame Vivian Hunt and Mr Nicholas Basden, Mr and Mrs Leif Johansson, the Rt Hon the Lord Mayor and the Lady Mayoress, Mr and Mrs Helge Lund, Sir Simon and the Hon Lady McDonald, Dr and Mrs Gerry Murphy, Sir Kenneth and Lady Olisa, Mr and Mrs Andrew Parker, Ms Kathryn Parsons, Mr Antony Phillipson, Mr Leo Quinn and Mrs Elaine Fitzpatrick-Quinn, Mr Christopher Ruddy, Sir Mark and Lady Sedwill, Professor Dr and Mrs Ralph Speth, Mr and Mrs James Staley, Mr and Mrs Jon Stanton, Mr and Mrs Mark Tucker, Mr Ben van Beurden and Mrs Stacey Dickson-van Beurden, Ms Emma Walmsley and Mr David Owen, and Mr and Mrs Alexander Younger.

White House and United States Delegation Guests:
The Hon Daniel Walsh (Assistant to The President and Deputy Chief of Staff for Operations), the Hon Emma Doyle (Assistant to The President and Principal Deputy Chief of Staff), the Hon Derek Lyons (Assistant to The President and White House Staff Secretary), the Hon Robert Blair (Assistant to The President and Senior Advisor to the Chief of Staff), the Hon Sean Lawler (Chief of Protocol of the United States), the Hon Fiona Hill (Deputy Assistant to The President and Senior Director for European and Russian Affairs, National Security Council), Ms Yael Lempert (Deputy Chief of Mission, United States Embassy), Mr Aaron Cope (Director for Western Europe, National Security Council), Mr James Goldston (President, ABC News) and Ms Laura Trevelyan, and the Hon John Rogers (Executive Vice President, Chief of Staff and Secretary to the Board of Directors) and Ms Deborah Lehr.

Last edited:
I have no problem with presidents taking their
families on taxpayer funded private holidays

The US presidency is the most demanding and stressful job on the planet. The president and his family are protected by the Secret Service..which comes out of our taxes.

It's the way it's always been. .I get that

Last edited:
I agree with you, Moonmaiden. The fact is that no matter where the President is, his office goes with him so even a vacation isn't totally getting away from the duties and responsibilities of the office of the President of the United States should he be needed. Its a 24/7 kind of job.

What makes me giggle the most is when there's a state visit from the US to the UK, when the national anthem of "God Save The Queen" is played, Americans know the tune as "My Country Tis of Thee". Same music, different lyrics. :D

Personally, I prefer "God Save The Queen". Its been the national anthem since 1745 and the "colonies" were still under British rule.

I'm not surprised that Harry had a good conversation with Ivanka. Earlier, digging for information on just what Ivanka's role is, I found out that "Ivanka Trump is Advisor to the President. In her role, she focuses on the education and economic empowerment of women and their families as well as job creation and economic growth through workforce development, skills training and entrepreneurship." To me, it sounds like Ivanka and Meghan and Harry just may have a lot in common. ?

Ivanka has nothing in common with Harry and Meghan. Ivanka Trump works for a presidential administration pushing one of the largest rollbacks on women’s rights in American history. The Duchess of Sussex rightfully criticized the administration as misogynistic before she joined the royal family and I can’t imagine Harry was pleased to be there.

He did his duty, appropriately. But let’s not whitewash who Ivanka Trump is or what she does. Even before she supported her father’s policies, she oversaw companies that relied heavily on sweatshop labor and exploitation of women and children.

Not sure if this is the right place for this, so mods please move if necessary.

Does anyone know why the bottom of Trump’s vest is so far from the bottom of his coat? With the way it’s tugging from the sides, it looks like he has untucked his shirt from afar.

OMG, just thinking about that. Putin had the same wardrobe feature when he had a state dinner with HM.

I agree with you, Moonmaiden. The fact is that no matter where the President is, his office goes with him so even a vacation isn't totally getting away from the duties and responsibilities of the office of the President of the United States should he be needed. Its a 24/7 kind of job.

Oh please,he's not God...And the same goes for all Heads of States,all,nothing special at all.It comes with the office everywhere and thus it is their duty.Nada mas!And don't start on his duties and responsibilities...He's not aware he has any but tweety tweet around...:whistling:

Wow, everybody in white? This ladies did they arrange to be in white? I like Kate dress, Melania looks nice but I do not think the dress is great thing, though she couldn't use a tiara I am sure she could have some diamons pins on her hair.
Ivanka looks nice, but it is not my cup of tea her dress.
An incredible regal night

With all the white dresses it seems they all went through their cabinets and used their best tablecloth for dresses...like aging brides,oh dear..:eek::lol:

I really liked the blue gown that Sophie of Wessex wore. And I finally found a good photo of Tiffany on twitter with Trump, Ivanka and Lara. She wore a nice red off the shoulder gown and looked lovely.

Last edited:
Okay...enough with the "nasty" comments about President Trump. There weren't acceptable under Bush and Obama and they are not acceptable now.

If you have opinions about Trump's policies, there are other websites where you can state them. This is not one of them.

So, in short, NO POLITICS.

Zonk
TRF Administrator

Last edited:
now...taking off my moderator hat.

I agree with Moonmaiden regarding Presidential vacations. This isn't a 9 to 5, five days a week job. I have no issue with extended absences as the job always travels (the briefcase, The Secret Service, the aides, etc.) with the individual.

I also have no problem with the Trump children attending the state dinner. I do, however, understand why those who have an issue do. It would be totally different if this was a State visit held in the US but as someone said, this is a potential once in a lifetime opportunity.

I recall when Obama was elected in 2008, and Barbara and Jenna Bush did that lovely "video letter" to the Obama girls and they encouraged them to "travel" with their parents to meet and see things that they normally wouldn't do.

My only issue is if we, is what we...the US taxpayer is paying for? We have to pay for Secret Service so it doesn't matter if they are here or in the US. The only difference is now we have to pay for Secret Service to have a hotel, whereas before, they might have gone home after working. But I also can't imagine, the Trump family not paying for Eric, Tiffany, Donald, and Lara's personal travel (airfare and hotel). That is what previous families have done because previous First Families have traveled with the President in non official capacities. And yes, even though they are adults...they are members of the First Family. The same way the Bush children where under Bush 41, the Reagans four adult children, etc.

I also find it ironic that the media (and some Daily Mail posters) are trying to demean Harry's lack of attendance by sayings he is only No. 6 in the Succession (so its not important that he shows up) but have no comment about Prince Michael of Kent attending.

Otherwise, I thought Catherine looked stunning. As did that quick snap we saw of Sophie. Camilla and Anne looked like...well Camilla and Anne. I loved Ivanka's and Kelly Conway's dress and I thought Melania good but I don't know. I don't know what Tiffany was thinking...that dress does nothing for her.

I also find it ironic that the media (and some Daily Mail posters) are trying to demean Harry's lack of attendance by sayings he is only No. 6 in the Succession (so its not important that he shows up) but have no comment about Prince Michael of Kent attending. \

Oh I have seen a lot of comments this week about how no "minor" royals attend the state dinners which is why Harry is irrelevant to the BRF, yada yada. Yet this was one of the biggest turnouts for a state dinner and was attended by royals lower in rank than Harry. So how does that work again? Or it is just about Harry (and Meghan)? Funny that.

Also fun fact that other then HMQ that the person who has attended the most state dinners has been Anne's husband.

And no one should be surprised the Trumps all attending. This is what this family does.

Last edited:
Oh I have seen a lot of comments this week about how no "minor" royals attend the state dinners which is why Harry is irrelevant to the BRF, yada yada. Yet this was one of the biggest turnouts for a state dinner and was attended by royals lower in rank than Harry. So how does that work again? Or it is just about Harry (and Meghan)? Funny that.

Also fun fact that other then HMQ that the person who has attended the most state dinners has been Anne's husband.

And no one should be surprised the Trumps all attending. This is what this family does.

Yes, I thought the same as well. I mean Anne, Edward and Andrew are all below Harry and they attended. Than I thought some would say, oh they are children of the Queen. Which is fine, I have no issue with that. But than I remembered the Gloucesters and the Kents would most likely attend. And they are the grandchildren of a Monarch...which is the same as Harry!

IMO since Meghan is on maternity leave and Harry has never been a regular state dinner banqueter (like what I did there), he was like...I'll attend the welcome ceremony and that's that.

I imagine it will be different during Charles reign. Than we shall see more of Harry and Meghan.

Tiffany is President Trump's daughter by Marla Maples. ?

I am not happy with Mrs Mays gown tonight. The top half looks all wrong to me for several reasons. She could have done better.
Hello magazine have a nice photo of Lara Trump and Eric outside BP. She looks very nice. Would love to see Ivanka's choice of dress for the banquet and Tiffany's.

Here's a picture of Ivanka if you couldn't find one.
https://media.gettyimages.com/photo...rlain-arrive-picture-id1147874782?s=2048x2048

She was actually one of, if not the best dressed for me last night it was beautiful.

Rose Hanbury, Marchioness of Cholmondeley was the best dressed IMO. I just love the simplicity of her gown.

She looks to be wearing an expensive nightgown with no jewellery which is a shame.

My general assessment of the night was that I was quite underwhelmed fashion wise. Nobody looked great, and the tiaras on display were frankly expected, all accept HM and the Burmese ruby tiara. One of the best dressed for me last night was Ivanka, she looked the perfect mix royal and fashionable at an event like this.

Melania actually looked, for me, one of the worst last night. The gloves made no sense simply because nobody else other than HM (and Princess Anne) wore gloves, or has worn gloves to a State Banquet so it was quite obvious what view they were going for their. Her couture dress has been altered a lot from the original and I actually wish she'd kept the floaty nature of the bottom of the gown.

Same goes for Eric Trumps wife and Tiffany Trump who both wore gloves for no reason, perhaps they googled what to wear to a banquet and gloves came up. It's quite an embarrassing fashion faux pau.

In terms of them attending the State Visit I could see it being okay for Jared and Ivanka to attend as they are part of Trumps Presidential team. But the others, nope. I believe they're going on holiday after this, so the younger children have just tagged along to this first before going on holiday. I'd be even more embarrassed if they attend any D-Day Events.

One thing I feel that has been missing from this visit is a little respect, on everyones part. I don't think Trump has respected the occasion or who they are visiting by inviting his children, and I don't believe Trumps position (emphasis on Position here) is being respected either. Regardless of his attitude or comments, he is currently the President of the USA.

Last edited:
For the banquet just want to say: Sophie finally got the tiara upgrade she deserve! :D:D
I saw the Harper's Bazaar photos of the event. I thought she was wearing her wedding tiara, but I could be wrong. Please correct me if I am. The British gentlemen all looked quite handsome in their formal attire.

I saw the Harper's Bazaar photos of the event. I thought she was wearing her wedding tiara, but I could be wrong. The British gentlemen all looked quite handsome in their formal attire.

She is wearing her wedding tiara but it has had a significant re-design.

:previous: Princess Anne wore evening gloves. I thought the Trump ladies looked OK in theirs.

Why did Donald Trump wear his waistcoat so far below his jacket? Is it an American thing?

now...taking off my moderator hat.
My only issue is if we, is what we...the US taxpayer is paying for? We have to pay for Secret Service so it doesn't matter if they are here or in the US. The only difference is now we have to pay for Secret Service to have a hotel, whereas before, they might have gone home after working. But I also can't imagine, the Trump family not paying for Eric, Tiffany, Donald, and Lara's personal travel (airfare and hotel). That is what previous families have done because previous First Families have traveled with the President in non official capacities. And yes, even though they are adults...they are members of the First Family. The same way the Bush children where under Bush 41, the Reagans four adult children, etc.

I also find it ironic that the media (and some Daily Mail posters) are trying to demean Harry's lack of attendance by sayings he is only No. 6 in the Succession (so its not important that he shows up) but have no comment about Prince Michael of Kent attending.

well, if it is normal in your country for the president to bring all his brood along at an official function just for their private pleasures, it seems to be a specific US-thing to do... In europe, however, it would be an unheard thing to do in a republic for a president, causing a huge scandal and public outcry. But, as I say, different countries, different habits...

Concerning Harry´s absence and your comparision with Pr. Michael:
Perhaps Michael, in contrast to the D o Sussex, wanted to be there and Harry had his understandable reasons not to go. When Charles skipped the Chinese banquet, there also had been other lower ranking members of his family than he was attending the banquet - but still he felt to make a point and didn´t go. I think that is perfectly ok as long as he is not the head-of-state.
The same goes for his son Harry who would have occupied just another chair, but would have not been able to make this dinner more successful than it turned out to be and, which we cannot proof, would have felt perhaps uncomfortable. So I just cannot see any benefit for anyone in his attendence (except that some royal watchers, including me, would have liked to see him in a tailcoat....)

Last edited:
She is wearing her wedding tiara but it has had a significant re-design.
Thanks for that information. I can see that now. My eyesight isn't great, even with glasses or contacts, and I'm squinting at a tiny photo. Is there another site where I can see a better picture of the redesign?

Thank you Lumut Queen I have since found some good photos of Ivanka' s dress.
Also Princess Larissa you took a lot of time and effort to type the court circular for us, so Thank You for your efforts.
My favourite for the evening was Sophies blue gown, and I still believe young Tiffany daughter of Trump's second wife Marla Maples looked very nice in her red gown as did Lara Trump wife of Eric Trump.
Also walking down the corridor the blonde lady in a sparkly silver gown behind Ivanka looked to me to be Kelly Conway. But would she be there? Maybe I better check Prss Larissa's post of the court circular.

Thank you Lumut Queen I have since found some good photos of Ivanka' s dress.
Also Princess Larissa you took a lot of time and effort to type the court circular for us, so Thank You for your efforts.
My favourite for the evening was Sophies blue gown, and I still believe young Tiffany daughter of Trump's second wife Marla Maples looked very nice in her red gown as did Lara Trump wife of Eric Trump.
Also walking down the corridor the blonde lady in a sparkly silver gown behind Ivanka looked to me to be Kelly Conway. But would she be there? Maybe I better check Prss Larissa's post of the court circular.

Yes, Kellyanne Conway was there. She was escorted by the Duke of Kent.

Last edited:
Aha! I just checked the court circular -- and yes the lady in the silver sparkly gown is Kellyanne Conway. She looked very nice I thought.
The Presidents jacket seems to be a missmatch for the white vest. Or is that the way you wear them in the U.S.?
Btw the Burmese ruby tiara is made from the Queens own design. Using the 96 rubies gifted to her from Burma. 96 because in Burma they believe 96 diseases afflict the human body, and rubies ward off these afflictions. The diamonds used are believed to be from the Nizam of Hyderabad tiara from Cartier. The three rosettes from that tiara were kept for use as brooches. The Nizam of Hyderabad necklace is in its original form and has been worn by Catherine the Duchess of Cambridge.

Of the American contingent Ivanka was the best dressed by FAR...of the Brits, the Countess of Wessex.

Not IMO an especially stellar evening in sartorial terms...

Last edited:
I have a big beef with photographs from this evenings events. Once again I have had to surf all over the internet to find the good photo's. I just found a nice link from Iceflower of Princess Anne walking the corridor. That photo should have been available with others. This happens everytime BP has a gala evening event. Even with the Diplomatic corp evening.
You can never find all the photos in one place and it usually takes up to three days to find all the photo's.This doesn't happen with the Danish Royal Family at gala evenings, the photo's are usually available very quickly and you can always find everyone right away.

I am not blaming the royal forums in any way.

I am annoyed that BP hasn't worked out a better way for photos to become available in a more timely and regimented manner, especially when it comes to these State occassions and gala evenings.

State Visit by the President of the United States: June 3-5, 2019

I don’t really see how it’s BPs fault when it’s the press who manages the release of their own images. The pictures the press get depend very much on where there are in the line up or photo call.

Last night there was a significant delay in photos as we went from no press at all, to HM and President Trump walking into the banqueting hall. It took an age just to get a photo of the DOCa which is very rare. I personally find the best place for photos quick is the Daily Mail and these days the press association, Getty images lags considerably nowadays.

USA gifts to The Queen weren’t exactly on part with what they received...

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom