Queen Margrethe's Golden Jubilee Celebrations 2022

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
In essensce, the flagwaving, cheering bits have been cancelled!

Yeah, this actually surprise me. Especially as a lot of Danes would genuinely have liked to celebrate our Queen.

So now it's scaled back to the formal bits. I assume they will include a speech where QEII and the BRF is mentioned. At some point God save the King/Queen may be played as well.

Oh well, I guess if a public celebration by the people is considered in poor taste by QMII or she doesn't feel up to it, then her wish should of course be respected.

It's a reasonably-sized memento mori for the Queen, in addition to everything else, so perhaps it occurred to her that when her turn comes, she would like the cheering elsewhere possibly stopped for a moment or two.

In view of the changes let us look at what live coverage you may be able to see outside DK on DR1.

Basically nothing happens tomorrow Saturday until guests starts to arrive for the gala at The Old Stage - theater.
The coverage of that will start at 17.00.
With the royals arriving at 18.45.
The coverage of the performance at the theater will continue until 22.45.

I'm sure I or some other kind soul will post a link here tomorrow.

Being the Gala dinner toned down, I expect no tiaras will be worn. How else can they tone it down otherwise?

Being the Gala dinner toned down, I expect no tiaras will be worn. How else can they tone it down otherwise?

I think it can still be a tiara event, but some of the entertainment and general merriness may very well be toned down and perhaps the DRF members and foreign royals will wear black bands on the arm. - Sørgebind in Danish = mourning-band. Not sure what you call it in English.

In view of the changes let us look at what live coverage you may be able to see outside DK on DR1.

Basically nothing happens tomorrow Saturday until guests starts to arrive for the gala at The Old Stage - theater.
The coverage of that will start at 17.00.
With the royals arriving at 18.45.
The coverage of the performance at the theater will continue until 22.45.

I'm sure I or some other kind soul will post a link here tomorrow.

Will the Royal Family not appear on the balcony of Amalienborg Palace?

Will the Royal Family not appear on the balcony of Amalienborg Palace?

No..it has been cancelled. The carriage rides have been cancelled and the events at City Hall have been postponed.

BT strikes again...I wonder how many windmills this royal "expert" could power with all the hot air he blows out of several body parts
https://www.bt.dk/royale/ekspert-om-den-fortsatte-fejring-af-dronning-margrethe-jeg-synes-det-virker

Anyway, people may show up at Amalienborg regardless of any cancellation. Isn't there still a changing of the guard like usual? Let's recall that there was no balcony appearance set for Mary's 50th and 100s of people showed up anyway and she ended up coming down to see them.

Last edited:
Very gracious of The Queen (and the Danes). It's sad and I don't think it's fair because if it to happen the other way around, say, The Queen dies few days before the normal Trooping the Colour (not Jubilee), I bet the Brits won't make any change to the proceedings; all celebration will just go as if nothing happens.

It appears this will be a bit of a somber affair given the cancellation of the parade, entertainment, and tour. However, the lunch will continue on as planned and it seems that will provide an opportunity for the family to enjoy a moment of reflection and perhaps thanks for being together in that moment.

Very gracious of The Queen (and the Danes). It's sad and I don't think it's fair because if it to happen the other way around, say, The Queen dies few days before the normal Trooping the Colour (not Jubilee), I bet the Brits won't make any change to the proceedings; all celebration will just go as if nothing happens.

The Brits and BRF would have made zero changes to any celebrations they had planned. In fact, the mere suggestion would have been seen as unnecessary and ridiculous because some monarch somewhere died. They would have been offended to be asked to show any type of deference because of some lesser and or not even real royal deciding to die. I doubt there would have been been a moment of silence, flags at half staff, etc.

I've almost changed my mind and hope all Danes show up at Amalienborg tomorrow singing, waving flags and cheering their lungs out. The world cannot stop for 3 weeks.

While the Danes no doubt acknowledge the loss and the mourning of the British, we are not a country in mourning. Our RF doesn’t appear to be particularly close to their British counterparts, but then again, we don’t know what’s going on behind palace walls. We don’t know if any of the Nordic heads of state were about to pull out of the celebrations because of the death of QE2. We don’t know whether the royal Danish court had a ‘contingency protocol’ in their top desk drawer, in the event of the demise of QE2. It goes without saying that QM2 and the other invited heads of state want to pay their respect, and they should! And because ( some) people are easily offended these days, I could go along with some subtle adjustments to the celebrations.
However the bottom line is that the Danes have been denied the opportunity to celebrate their monarch, and all we’re left with is selected TV- coverage of the formal events for the chosen few!

In essensce, the flagwaving, cheering bits have been cancelled!

While it is understandable on one hand, on the other hand it is very sad that essentially all the parts that would have been for the people have been cancelled.

Well, what is left today is the gala at Old Stage theater.
DR1 will cover that with all the guests arriving from 17.00. Culminating with the royals arriving around 18.45. (There will be a news break from 18.30-1845.) The whole thing will end around 22.30.

The coverage will start in 5½ hours after this is posted here: https://www.dr.dk/drtv/kanal/dr1_20875
(Right now they are showing live from King Charles being proclaimed King.)

Please let me know if you can watch this outside DK.
Otherwise you will have time to start bombarding DR1 with requests for lifting the block. ;)
DR1 facebook: https://www.facebook.com/DRDanmarksRadio/
Twitter: https://twitter.com/DRkoncern

I'm sure Billed Bladet will send live of the guests arriving.
BT is also likely to have a live link - or at least at continuously updated blog with photos and clips.
Keep an eye out for berlingske.dk for good quality photos.

In my opinion it should have been rescheduled to a later date(postponed) not cancelled.

The British Royal Family would never think of extending the same courtesy if Queen Margrethe or any other European sovereign died.

Imo, the show should go on.

I can only assume this must have been the Queens express wish and her government obliged. It's unfortunate, and not how I would have done it, but I do believe it's what HM wants. She is after all the most senior monarch left in Europe and the only Queen. I'm sure, as she has stated, QEII was a guiding light for her and she wishes to honour her in this way.

Last edited:
In my opinion it should have been rescheduled to a later date(postponed) not cancelled.

The British Royal Family would never think of extending the same courtesy if Queen Margrethe or any other European sovereign died.

Imo, the show should go on.

Considering the state of hysteria some parts of the British - and US press as well (*) - is in right now and with several countries declaring several days of national mourning, including countries like Brazil and Japan, that have never been a part of the Commonwealth nor have been British colonies... - it's probably wiser to bend with the wind and scale down.
- You learn that as a small country.

(*) Wonder what the level headed QEII would have thought about it. Prince Phillip would have had a remark or two!

I can only assume this must have been the Queens express wish and her government obliged. It's unfortunate, and not how I would have done it, but I do believe it's what HM wants. She is after all the most senior monarch left in Europe and the only Queen. I'm sure, as she has stated, QEII was a guiding light for her and she wishes to honour her in this way.

AFAIK, her cousin King Harald V of Norway is three years older than her.

Most senior in terms of reign and therefore rank. Harald only ascended the throne in 1991, so both Margrethe and Carl Gustaf while younger are more senior in rank. In fact, given that Charles' reign only started two days ago. Of all the heads of state, he is the least senior.

The order in rank for the reigning king and queens in Europe is now:
  1. HM Queen Margrethe (1972)
  2. HM King Carl Gustaf (1973)
  3. HM King Harald (1991)
  4. HM King Willem-Alexander (2013)
  5. HM King Philippe (2013)
  6. HM King Felipe (2014)
  7. HM King Charles (2022)

If we include the other reigning monarchs (I didn't include the pope or the princes of Andorra) with a different title as well it would be:
  1. HM Queen Margrethe (1972)
  2. HM King Carl Gustaf (1973)
  3. HSH Prince Hans-Adam (1989)
  4. HM King Harald (1991)
  5. HRH Grand Duke Henri (2000)
  6. HSH Prince Albert (2005)
  7. HM King Willem-Alexander (2013)
  8. HM King Philippe (2013)
  9. HM King Felipe (2014)
  10. HM King Charles (2022)

Last edited:
The Golden jubilee celebrations should go ahead IMO; after all they’re about a different monarch in a different country. Whether any of the invited foreign royals will perceive their attendance as inappropriate and pull out, remains to be seen. Whatever happens however, the headlines from the UK will still be there!
Especially for the sake of the milestone jubilee of the danish Queen, it should be postponed because all the attention, wether one likes it or not, is on Britain right now.
That there would be an outpour of sympathy when Elizabeth II would die was obvious and certain since many years. It is not her responsibility nor her fault. Because Queen Margrethe and her jubilee deserve as much attention and celebration as there could be, unfortunately, it should be delayed one more time! I guess Queen Margrethe herself feels it is probably inappropriate to celebrate after a world icon has just died...?

Last edited:

But Queen Margrethe II is the longest reigning monarch in Europe right now, hence the most senior.

Considering the state of hysteria some parts of the British - and US press as well (*) - is in right now and with several countries declaring several days of national mourning, including countries like Brazil and Japan, that have never been a part of the Commonwealth nor have been British colonies... - it's probably wiser to bend with the wind and scale down.
- You learn that as a small country.

(*) Wonder what the level headed QEII would have thought about it. Prince Phillip would have had a remark or two!

Only by putting the flag at half-mast, not to the point of cancelling/disturbing any planned event (not sure for Brazil though). And btw, when the (ex)PM Abe died India also observed a national mourning. India was not Japan's colonies nor Japan part of Commonwealth. It's because the India PM recognised Abe's contribution in improving India's diplomatic ties and again, just by putting the flag at half-mast. It's not a big deal and certainly barely create any effect.

Only by putting the flag at half-mast, not to the point of cancelling/disturbing any planned event (not sure for Brazil though). And btw, when the (ex)PM Abe died India also observed a national mourning. India was not Japan's colonies nor Japan part of Commonwealth. It's because the India PM recognised Abe's contribution in improving India's diplomatic ties and again, just by putting the flag at half-mast. It's not a big deal and certainly barely create any effect.

I see.

I suppose a national state of mourning is defined differently in various countries.

Here it would not only mean the flag at half mast, but that all public (state, regional and municipal) celebrations and festivities would be cancelled or at least toned very much down. It's a pretty big thing here!
When the DRF went into a state of mourning (for three months IIRC) after the death of PH, everything that wasn't strictly necessary was cancelled.

I see.

I suppose a national state of mourning is defined differently in various countries.

Here it would not only mean the flag at half mast, but that all public (state, regional and municipal) celebrations and festivities would be cancelled or at least toned very much down. It's a pretty big thing here!
When the DRF went into a state of mourning (for three months IIRC) after the death of PH, everything that wasn't strictly necessary was cancelled.

To note, I'm referring about the current "national mourning" for Queen Elizabeth II (again I don't know about Brazil). There's book of condolences and flowers in front of Brits embassy too (but then again, it's also not unusual. Ppl sometimes lay flowers where someone died such as side of road where someone they know was killed in accident).
The Emperor and Empress as well as the retired Emperor and Empress are said to observe 3 days mourning period too, but that's their personal and doesn't mean that the public have to follow their example.

If it's the emperor or empress (or in less scale, member of imperial family) who dies, of course the "national mourning" will be different, it won't only be half-mast flag.

Postponing always means losing money that was already put in the preparations. Especially at such short notice.

Since the celebrations have already been postponed once, it probably wasn't feasible to postpone again. I guess it was now or never, really.

Guest list for tonight.

Last edited by a moderator:
:previous: yes I think so, it's scaled down/cancelled mostly because it already has been postponed once. IF Sep is the original date DRF planned, I think they will just postpone it.

The Royal Danish Theatre stage director Kasper Holten just revealed that at the request of QMII, they will observe a moment of silence for QEII at tonight's performance.

Apparently Gustav and Carina have cancelled their attendance per BB.

Had already wondered because the had confirmed they would attend. perhaps they will be there tomorrow.

Nathalie is attending without Alexander again. I am just reading that they divorced in 2022... This was apparently confirmed by the Danish royal court last month.

Of the queen's nieces and nephews (by her sisters) also Nikolaos and Tatiana are missing.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom