Queen Elizabeth II's Platinum Jubilee Celebrations: 2022

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Here’s the clip for reference. Yea he behaved badly briefly. He is a child. It happens. Any person who has interacted with kids can understand that this can and will happen with every child at some point.

I work with children this age every day, thank you. I know what can happen to children, I know they can behave in unexpected ways. But what he did was simply sassy. And not in a funny way.
A mother with a hand for kids would have known how to stop him after the first, maybe second "misbehaving". And he is 4, yes. He does not know or understand he is worldwide on camera screens.
And if he gets to be so easily overwhelmed from everything, then maybe it would have been better to let him in his usual surrounding, with his nanny.
(And before someone refers back to my words from yesterday that children have to get used to new things: he is 4. The other two are older)

I work with children this age every day, thank you. I know what can happen to children, I know they can behave in unexpected ways. But what he did was simply sassy. And not in a funny way.
A mother with a hand for kids would have known how to stop him after the first, maybe second "misbehaving". And he is 4, yes. He does not know or understand he is worldwide on camera screens.
And if he gets to be so easily overwhelmed from everything, then maybe it would have been better to let him in his usual surrounding, with his nanny.
(And before someone refers back to my words from yesterday that children have to get used to new things: he is 4. The other two are older)

This is turning into bullying of a 4 year old child on social media, It is not nice and totally unnecessary.

I’m not sure why we care. He misbehaved briefly while attending a celebration for his great grandmother. He was there enjoying the show. I don’t think it says anything about Kate’s parenting. That’s just a ridiculous thing to say.

This is turning into bullying of a 4 year old child on social media, It is not nice and totally unnecessary.

And I’m sorry but it’s just so stupid. Did anyone expect the 4 year old to behave immaculately? That just doesn’t happen.

Remember when Charlotte threw a temper tantrum on tarmac in Canada.

This happens. Anyone expecting otherwise is living in a fairytale.

Posts about the Duke and Duchess of Sussex have been deleted. They can only be discussed in their own thread. If that thread is closed - as it is now- it means that they can not be discussed on TRF at all.

Last edited:

Wow, so you are claiming that Catherine 'has no hand for kids' because Louis didn't listen straight away at one brief moment while he has been behaving quite well and was easily distracted when needed by his mother (or others) during the two hours he was on full display for the world to see. A very 'stern look' by Catherine would most surely have been completely misconstrued as her being a terrible mother for sure who was way to hard on her poor young son; I don't think many people would want to be in her shoes...

So, let's say I disagree with your assessment. I think the whole family did admirably well. Imho there would be few families who would have better behaved kids if they would be taking them to watch a pageantry for 2 hours seated while being in front of the cameras for those full 2 hours - with parents knowing that their every move will be followed, is taped and will remain public knowledge for ever if any of the children truly make a scene (which didn't happen). Charlotte also once stuck her tongue out in public, was corrected and has grown out of it. Louis sticking his fingers/thumbs in his mouth and playing up a tiny little bit seems minor - especially given how well he behaved and enjoyed himself (and also entertained his family members) most of the time.

As you rightly say, they have to learn; and taking him to only two events (Trooping and Pageantry) seems to have been a good decision to include him without exhausting him too much. He would definitely have felt left out (now and/or later) if they had only taken his siblings to the Jubilee events (it is a once in a lifetime event). Moreover, both times he was also supposed to be at the balcony (as other members of the royal family have been before at his age and younger).

It seems unfair to include Princess Charlotte and Prince Louis when the Princess Royal and the Earl of Wessex, who are in the same position genealogically and are working royals besides, were excluded. And unless the intention is that Charlotte and Louis will remain on the balcony throughout their lives, it will invite questions whenever they are removed about the reasons why.

I don't know. With that line of thinking, it was also unfair to include Louise and James – neither of whom are (or are expected to become) working royals – in the procession and at the balcony for Trooping.

I don't know. With that line of thinking, it was also unfair to include Louise and James – neither of whom are (or are expected to become) working royals – in the procession and at the balcony for Trooping.

Indeed, it seems pretty straightforward: they are included as long as they are considered part of their parents' family/household; once they are considered 'independent' they will no longer join their parents but will be judged on their own merits/position.

Right now, Louise (and James) are still part of the core family of the earl and countess of Wessex and therefore were included/seated with them any time they joined their parents to an event. At some point, that will no longer be the case - and they will be treated the same way their other cousins are: as independent households.

In that same vein, the duke of Cambridge was on the balcony with his core family/household which include not only his wife and eldest son but also his other two children. Just like Charles brought his wife along (and Anne previously had Timothy but not her adult children with her). If they were looking for a 'picture' of only the monarch and her heirs, it would have been only 4 people on the balcony (I am still hoping for a picture of the monarch and her 3 heirs being released). They, however, chose the monarch, heirs and their core families.

This is classic Omid Scobie pot stirring. He posted the clip on his twitter, gee'd up his followers and then deleted it.

Louis briefly behaved badly and was taken out by his mother. When he later appeared on the balcony he was fine. It was obvious he needed a rest and to calm down from all the noise, crowds and excitement.

If Kate had reacted harshly or strongly in that moment it would have been a much bigger story.

If it continues as he gets older or gets worse in public then it might be time to suggest that they change their parenting style with him but not at 4 at the end of a long weekend and for something that was far outside of his normal routine. Even from what little we've seen of him he's clearly not like that all the time. We even have footage of him jumping into Kate's arms yesterday and Charles was clearly comfortable taking him for a while which was lovely to see.

George and Charlotte both did very well this weekend and they must be exhausted. People used to say Charlotte was rude because she stuck her tongue out and would "clearly be a bratty princess" but she was perfectly well behaved, even for someone much older than her. Savannah got criticised for the "moments" with George but it doesn't appear to be a significant issue. William used to be "naughty" during trooping and has has turned out fine.

It seems clear that they have three kids with different personalities and that the kids are comfortable with them and the rest of the family.

For anyone interested in the military bands & contingents this is the full list.

As well of course as some fantastic music! The band of HM Royal Marines are outstanding as always. Unmatchable. All the pipers were from Scottish units so no Irish pipers in their splendid cloaks & saffron kilts which is a shame. There again they trooped their colour on Thursday. With Seamus.?

Last edited:

I work with children that age every day too and can honestly say there is always one child who acts up at the worst time. Any time my Head Teacher comes into observe a lesson at least one child (and usually the one who you least expect) acts up and suddenly becomes mouth almighty to challenge you. Louis is 4, attended trooping the colour, visited Cardiff, been around family he may not always see but gets indulged by for a long weekend and was probably shattered. Not long after that clip presumably is when Catherine walked him out for a rest before the balcony. It always gets me that people are always so happy W&C raise "such normal children" on one hand but on the other as soon as said "normal children" misbehave in the way any normal child would they are ill prepared for royal life and being appallingly misbehaved. He is 4, he stayed as long as he could - probably on reflection for all a bit too long and then was taken for some downtime before the big balcony appearance. I don't see a problem.

I wonder if Louise has exams on Monday so they choose to stay at home, Bagshot, which is close to Windsor - Sophie and Ed could nip out and visit the Jubilee Lunch at Windsor while she prepared maybe? Who knows but I'm sure they had a good reason not to be in London for the pagent especially as they seem to have all be attending most events.

Woooo people my five year old boy would have been 100 times worse than Louis. I admire Kate the last thing I would have wanted was cameras on me and my kids. They fidget and get bored so easily. It was lovely they were there and give them a break and remember his age and how hard it is being a mum in public.

I work with children that age every day too and can honestly say there is always one child who acts up at the worst time. Any time my Head Teacher comes into observe a lesson at least one child (and usually the one who you least expect) acts up and suddenly becomes mouth almighty to challenge you. Louis is 4, attended trooping the colour, visited Cardiff, been around family he may not always see but gets indulged by for a long weekend and was probably shattered. Not long after that clip presumably is when Catherine walked him out for a rest before the balcony. It always gets me that people are always so happy W&C raise "such normal children" on one hand but on the other as soon as said "normal children" misbehave in the way any normal child would they are ill prepared for royal life and being appallingly misbehaved. He is 4, he stayed as long as he could - probably on reflection for all a bit too long and then was taken for some downtime before the big balcony appearance. I don't see a problem.

I truly don’t see the problem, either. If you take a child that age who’s off his routine, likely tired, and put him in a situation where he’s both physically constrained and overstimulated, it may only be a matter of time before he starts to fall apart. Surely anyone who’s ever been on a plane with children understands how this can happen.
Nevertheless, Louis is part of the family, and he did very well and enjoyed himself for most of the event. William and Kate had obviously planned for the possibility that he wouldn’t last the whole time, and when he showed Kate he’d reached his limit she took him out.
I thought it was fantastic that we saw so much of the Cambridge children this weekend. The public seemed to have enjoyed seeing them, and the Jubilee was a hugely important event for the British RF, in a way that the children will come to understand and appreciate when they’re older.

George and William belting out Sweet Caroline at the concert was awesome. So fun to see. George and his “bam, bam,bam….” Loved it. They both clearly enjoyed that song!

I was very impressed with how close the RF all were with each other, very warm, fantastic interactions not as we are sometimes led to believe they are. Louis running to Charles and sitting on his knee while talking to Great Aunt Anne, Beatrice's stepson Wolfie running a whole row to show Zara and her girls something, the Phillips and Tindal girls interacting with Charlotte, George and Louis. Anne dancing along in her seat laughing with Charles, Cams and William chatting away. Anne pointing out things from across seats to her granddaughters ... gosh it is like they are a family like our own!

I really liked how princess Charlotte looked up to the queen when the started singing 'God save the queen' on the balcony ? So cute.

How cute. I haven’t seen that yet.

Royal kids in general have more "normal" lives today than they used to in previous times. For starters, they go to normal schools (as opposed to having private tutors behind the Palace walls) and interact wiith other normal kids. And the fact that many of them now have one parent (mother or father) with a middle-class background, I think, makes a difference too. However, they will never be "normal" in the broader sense, especially not the kids who are directly in line, because their lives, as we have seen over this weekend, is somewhat surreal.

It is not really about the palaces, or the privileges (many royals actually live quite stoically), but it is mostly the concept of elevating one family above everyone else in the country in precedence, with soldiers standing in attention when you pass by and people around you acting deferentially or cheering you as we saw in the Jubilee celebrations. As I said before, for people like me, who grew up in republics, that is a concept that is difficult to grasp and, honestly, not being an expert in child psychology, I don't know how a little boy like George for example reacts when he is told he is special and sees that people treat him differently or behave differently around him, or when he realizes that he is destined to fulfill a certain public role and cannot choose a different path in his life. It must be complicated.

Of course, that has nothing to do with Louis's behavior, which, I agree, is a normal reaction a 4-year-old could have under those circumstances.

Last edited:
What a wonderful afternoon , I saw the Parade on BBC and was so lucky it was not raining as it was here in Belgium.
Great Platinium Jubilee and I did not expect seing te Queen a second time to day on the balcony with the 3 future Kings.

I loved seeing all the kids today, and loved seeing the families all interact with each other.

I have one kid who is definitely similar to Louis, and I can say with authority, I wouldn’t trade her for the world, despite the antics, which usually occurred at the worst time. They made her fearless and resilient, and I hope Kate and William can have a glass of wine tonight and laugh about it, as I learned to. Kids are a blessing. I am thrilled we got to see the Cambridge kids do much this weekend, and hope they had fun!

Wow. If this is how the Platinum Jubilee was, I can't wait for HM The Queen's Second Diamond Jubilee. If I'm right, she'll be around the age her mother was before she died. I think it will also make her almost the longest reigning monarch in history.

It will probably be even funner for the great-grands since most of them will be teenagers/preteens by that point, although there probably be some more by that point. I can't wait!

Little August is a total charmer. So cute. It was so nice from his parents to bring him to the pageant!

Back
Top Bottom