Queen Elizabeth and the Duke of Edinburgh Current Events 11: July-October 2006

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
BeatrixFan said:
It would be a tragedy to lose Her Majesty under any circumstance. I love my Queen and I can't imagine a Britain without her.
I hope the queen lives forever! I really love england and i'll be very sad the day she goes, everytime i read articles about plans for the coronation of charles i get upset.

Elise27 said:
I hope the queen lives forever! I really love england and i'll be very sad the day she goes, everytime i read articles about plans for the coronation of charles i get upset.

I do get an uncomfortable feeling reading plans for the coronation, because in the normal course there will have to be a funeral before the coronation takes place, and I don't want to think about that funeral.

scooter said:
While it is indeed a lovely photo, I really wish HM would wear a proper saftey helmet with harness when she rides,not only for her own safety,but as an example to others. I am a competition show jumper and there is not a show in the world that every rider on the grounds is not required to wear one at all times.

It is indeed a lovely photo of HM.

I certainly understand what you say about safety gear, Scooter, as she sets a bad example.

But I could also imagine her thinking something like, 'I'm the Queen, and I'm 80, and I don't want to wear a helmet........and I'm jolly well not going to'. :lol:

BeatrixFan said:
Elise, it isn't a problem exactly. There is a slight issue with just who made the decision. In Britain at the moment, there's alot of political correctness and alot of rules relating to that coming into the workplace. This raises the question, if the Queen is allowing muslims a space to pray at Windsor Castle then is every other employer going to be expected to do the same and is this strictly a policy that benefits muslims or will she be doing it for every faith represented in her staff? You see, it brings up all kinds of issues that are pretty much best left alone and at a time when born-Britons are finding it a little tricky to cope with the sudden voice the muslim community have found (I'm not condemning that by the way) ,this action isn't really a very sensible thing.

I wonder if I went and lived in those countries where my culture wasn't dominant if I could get the advantages of what is happening today in England. As a US citizen, would I be allowed to take Thanksgiving or 4th of July off or celebrate it proudly in the neighborhood or within my office? Would those citizenry give me what the Queen is forced to give because of PC and asylum pushers? Just wondering. Really feel sorry that when one speaks of an Englishman, that an Englishman isn't what one would conjure up to be. We have the same problem here in the USA. It appears that the USA, British and German's aren't allowed to have nationalism without a lot of moaning. Just my opinion.:)

We should be careful to avoid The Queen's current events thread spinning off into a discussion of nationalism.

thanks,
Warren
British Forums moderator

As a ps to the discussion of the prayer room:
from what we saw in the documentary "The Queen's Castle", it seems there's little that happens at Windsor that HM is not aware of.

BeatrixFan said:
Will Her Majesty let her Jewish live-in employees have a special room for a Passover meal?

I expect so, if they ask! :)

scooter said:
While it is indeed a lovely photo, I really wish HM would wear a proper saftey helmet with harness when she rides,not only for her own safety,but as an example to others. I am a competition show jumper and there is not a show in the world that every rider on the grounds is not required to wear one at all times.

As a competition rider you will known that wearing a helmet can also cause neck and back injuries.

Unless I am competing, I do not wear a helmet and at most of the shows here in the UK, you are only required to wear a 'hat' in the collecting ring or arena. Personally I think if the queen starts wearing a helmet, she will be pandering to the nanny state mentality. :ermm:

One could argue what is worse - makuep during a dinner or tell-all book! :ermm:

Former Governer-General Adrienne Clarkson chides Queen Elizabeth

Former Governer-General Adrienne Clarkson apparently doesn't think much of the manners of Britain's royal family.
In her new book, she chides Queen Elizabeth for daring to touch up her makeup during a fancy dinner party.

Well that's Adrienne Clarkson off my Christmas Card list.

Avalon said:
One could argue what is worse - makuep during a dinner or tell-all book! :ermm:

I vote for book.

Last edited:
I think a helmet makes sense when you're jumping but not necessary for a leisurely trail ride.

I know the schools in the U.S. require them at all times but that is because unless they do, their insurance premiums go up the roof.

BeatrixFan said:
Well that's Adrienne Clarkson off my Christmas Card list.

She's probably off the Queen's Christmas card list too.;)

When I was in school, we were told never to brush our hair or apply our make-up in public. We weren't told there was an exception for the Queen of England. (This was our sex ed talk -- during the 1970s.) Smiley face.

ysbel said:
I know the schools in the U.S. require them at all times but that is because unless they do, their insurance premiums go up the roof.

It is probably the same here.
When we are out, if we are cantering through the woods and a fallen branch or tree presents itself, we don't worry that we havn't got a helmet on! :ohmy: :lol:

iowabelle said:
When I was in school, we were told never to brush our hair or apply our make-up in public. We weren't told there was an exception for the Queen of England. (This was our sex ed talk -- during the 1970s.) Smiley face.

:lol: Maybe that's where I heard it. I'd thought it was from my mother, but it could have been at one of those "Mother and Daughter" nights in the late '60s, and someone certainly drummed it into me.

I wonder why they dealt with it at a sex ed talk? Does such behaviour signify one is wanton?

It is just a wild guess, but I suspect the Queen may have been surreptitiously checking that she didn't have spinach or something similar in her teeth. I think that for her Majesty, spinach in teeth would be worse than checking makeup at table.

scooter said:

Surely no horse would be impolite enough to dump the Queen.:)

what i dont like about the excerpt of the book that i read is that she sounds like shes critizing the queen and the queen mother. she sounds rather snobbish. In any case she's the queen of england she can do what she wants plus i suppose this must'nt have been a very formal lunch.

That's nice. Seems like a good idea to have a purpose-built rink and not risk using the lake, considering that winters aren't as cold as they used to be.

Britain's Queen Elizabeth, centre with umbrella, inspects soldiers from the Home Service Battalions of the British Army's Royal Irish Regiment at Balmoral Showgrounds, Belfast, Northern Ireland, Friday, Oct. 6, 2006. The Queen presented a group medal Friday to three British army battalions being disbanded in Northern Ireland, a symbolic milestone in the province's slow transition from war to peace. The queen presented a conspicuous gallantry cross, one of the military's highest honors, to the Royal Irish Regiment during a rain-soaked ceremony in Belfast. (AP Photo/Peter Morrison)

From getty

72102232jx8.jpg

Gallery

http://editorial.gettyimages.com/source/search/FrameSet.aspx?s=ImagesSearchState%7c0%7c0%7c-1%7c28%7c0%7c0%7c0%7c1%7c10%2f7%2f2006%7c10%2f5%2f2006%7c0%7c0%7c0%7c0%7c0%7c0%7c0%7c0%7c7%7c%7cqueen%7c2233391784121335%7c0%7c0%7c0%7c0&p=7&tag=1

Last edited:
Skydragon said:
Queen attends RIR battalions' end

The Queen has attended a parade to mark the disbandment of the Royal Irish Regiment's home service battalions.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/northern_ireland/5411706.stm
Nice parade. Here's a photo of the Queen and her son,
colonel-in-chief of the RIR, Prince Andrew, Duke of York
photo by Will Craig/Army press office

Last edited:
Cambridge, UNITED KINGDOM: Britain's Prince Phillip leads a procession to the Senate House at Cambridge University in Cambidgeshire, in south-east England, 11 October 2006, as Indian Prime Minister Monmohan Singh prepares to recieve an honorary degree of Doctor of Law from the University

from getty

Queen Elizabeth II and the Duke of Edinburgh greet the President of the Italian Republic Giorgio Napolitano and his wife Clio at Buckingham Palace, in London, 13 October 2006.

source - STEVE PARSONS/AFP/Getty Images

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom