Princess Letizia's Daytime Fashion Part 20: June 2011 - August 2011

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
IMHO, looking 'good' looks different, but everything is relative (as far as Letizia is concerned) and at least she made an effort to appear to be in a better mood.
Still find the combo of short, strict pants which don't match this girlish style of flats which don't match the clutch bag rather odd:
[DNF] Fotoarchief Denieuwsfoto

IMHO, looking 'good' looks different, but everything is relative (as far as Letizia is concerned) and at least she made an effort to appear to be in a better mood.
Still find the combo of short, strict pants which don't match this girlish style of flats which don't match the clutch bag rather odd:

I agree but I've lowered my standard for Letizia. I think the problem is the length of the pant. I have good friend who's petite and thin like Leti (but not quite as thin) and the proportion of a capri cuts her oddly truncating her already shorter frame which makes her look even shorter.

I really don't like those particular shoes with the outfit. I like the shoes, but not with bag and suit.

Last edited:
Big improvement on her recent few desperate housewives outfits .

I agree but I've lowered my standard for Letizia. I think the problem is the length of the pant. I have good friend who's petite and thin like Leti (but not quite as thin) and the proportion of a capri cuts her oddly; truncating her already shorter frame which makes her look even shorter.

I really don't like those particular shoes with the outfit. I like the shoes, but not with bag and suit.

It is better, but still no good.

I've noticed that she goes to extremes. From 12 cm high heels, to ballerinas. Near Felipe, I would avod wearing flats, and short pants.
She could wear long pants "loose" with max 5 cm heels. It does not save the height but it gives to the body more posture.

This is not bad, I actually dont mind the look but I do mind the clutch and the flats which look like they belong to one of her daughters. The look would've worked well with nice classic heels with same color clutch.

Perhaps her personal tastes are for less jewelry, less accessories. Princess Grace had simple jewelry when she was a movie actress and also when she was a princess. Grace could have had jewels as fabulous as Elizabeth Taylor's but decided upon less ostentatious jewels. Fewer and less grand pieces. It seems as if Letizia may desire simpler accessories.

Last edited:
Perhaps her personal tastes are for less jewelry, less accessories. Princess Grace had simple jewelry when she was a movie actress and also when she was a princess. Grace could have had jewels as fabulous as Elizabeth Taylor's but decided upon less ostentatious jewels. Fewer and less grand pieces. It seems as if Letizia may desire simpler accessories.

Nothing against her personal taste but Letizia could at least change her earings,always the same star earings.

http://www3.pictures.stylebistro.co...+Earring+Studs+Diamond+Studs+14xtK4zqJ-cl.jpg

Her look today was much better than recently & its nice to see her relaxed looking with a smile.

I wouldnt call this pantsuit classy...
http://cache4.asset-cache.net/xc/11...29DE4801443DFB5CC5C28450CC6367367FADC4B8C5B89

When reading through the thread, I am still amazed that the recession is being used as an excuse to dress inappropiately. Firstly, suitable outfits can be recycled (like Queen Sofia frequently does) and non-flashy clothes can still look neat while fitting the occasion.
Another excuse that makes me laugh is that Letizia "works" so hard, admittedly she is present at more events than others but I still wouldnt call this "working hard" - sorry, different discussion, but honestly, it doesnt matter if a royal does ten events per month or one - dressing appropriately has a very high priority. Royals attend events to be seen or promote a specific issue, nothing less, nothing more - they represent what usually means small talk, handshakes, smiles in front of the camera. This is a royal's job - especially a royal consort's job, most likely a big error of jugdement on Letizia's end who expected to be recognized in public for her intellect and not for the clothes she would be wearing, at every single event, day after day.
Sad reality is that even though she dresses something between down and inappropriate, papers will still write that her "style" is fantastic because her picture sells and it doesnt matter if she wears a potatoe sack or a designer frock. The media would be stupid to mention the slightest critizism about their biggest cash cow.

Oh Letizia what where you thinking? Being underdressed is one thing but wearing pants that don't fit at ALL (even though I like that suit but those ill-fitting pants ruin everything!)
Getty Images - Navegador no compatible detectado
It looks like they got shrinked in the washing machine. Excuse my harsh words but you can totally see that the pants are too tight around her bum and the lenght of the pants together with flats make the whole look hideous. Sad, cause it could've been such a nice outfit.

Not a bad outfit, much better that what Letizia wore the last days. But, since is summer, a little bit more of colour would have been better.

She's smiling, so that's a plus. But that's about it. I like the clutch, but putting a red, croco clutch with these sparkly flats...no.

I would have to agree, the outfit is still not good. The pants are too tight and low wasted and the flats are just terrible with anything other than jeans or shorts if you're going to the beach. I just don't get it, hot hubby, rock'in body, extremely cute kids, I'd be the best dressed thing on the planet every day of the week. And I'm about to say something that may sound terrible, but her job diescription is...show up, look great and don't say anything thing stupid, right?!?! It's not like she's making political policy.

http://cache4.asset-cache.net/xc/11...29DE4801443DFB5CC5C28450CC6367367FADC4B8C5B89

When reading through the thread, I am still amazed that the recession is being used as an excuse to dress inappropiately. Firstly, suitable outfits can be recycled (like Queen Sofia frequently does) and non-flashy clothes can still look neat while fitting the occasion.
Another excuse that makes me laugh is that Letizia "works" so hard, admittedly she is present at more events than others but I still wouldnt call this "working hard" - sorry, different discussion, but honestly, it doesnt matter if a royal does ten events per month or one - dressing appropriately has a very high priority. Royals attend events to be seen or promote a specific issue, nothing less, nothing more - they represent what usually means small talk, handshakes, smiles in front of the camera. This is a royal's job - especially a royal consort's job, most likely a big error of jugdement on Letizia's end who expected to be recognized in public for her intellect and not for the clothes she would be wearing, at every single event, day after day.
Sad reality is that even though she dresses something between down and inappropriate, papers will still write that her "style" is fantastic because her picture sells and it doesnt matter if she wears a potatoe sack or a designer frock. The media would be stupid to mention the slightest critizism about their biggest cash cow.

Very good and deep analysis.

Nevertheless, I have some comments:
- In the past we saw her appropriately dressed! It means that she knows when she crosses the line of non acceptance.
- This constant failure to be dressed appropriately for each occassion, does not appear to me being occasional. It shows something between the "fed-up" situation and the "I'm revolting" situation. Her way to dress has a language.
- She dresses like she would have been dressed as a younger, single, relaxed independant journalist. But she is not all this anymore! Sometimes she gives me the impression like she would like to go back!!!

I would have to agree, the outfit is still not good. The pants are too tight and low wasted and the flats are just terrible with anything other than jeans or shorts if you're going to the beach. I just don't get it, hot hubby, rock'in body, extremely cute kids, I'd be the best dressed thing on the planet every day of the week. And I'm about to say something that may sound terrible, but her job diescription is...show up, look great and don't say anything thing stupid, right?!?! It's not like she's making political policy.

I doubt that's enough. She and Felipe usually do thorough studies on the organizations/events, make sure the speech connects with the current society and people, reflect the issues, provide encouragement and inspiration, thus they have to be informed well on the current affairs and government policies although not making political policy.

The pants are very typical Varela style, on his website, you still can see the tight pants on the models. Some journalists in the media have been suggesting her to go for good designs of various designers instead of one single designer as her MIL suggested, but it didn't work.
Although royals are not doing heavy physical work, there is certain stress to be watched by hundreds of people at the events, photographed like being in a zoo, then you have to choose your clothes, do your hair and makeup with minimum help ....
I don't think the TV heart programs have been this kind as you said. Perhaps her dressing style at the low key daily royal events is just not important for them, they are more interested at the upcoming summer holiday.

Although royals are not doing heavy physical work, there is certain stress to be watched by hundreds of people at the events, photographed like being in a zoo, then you have to choose your clothes, do your hair and makeup with minimum help ....

Of course, it is not easy. But it is easier than doing other jobs in this world, she is helped and served for everything (do not tell me that she has minimum help) and the most important is that she choose this life, she married the man she loved!

Carla-Bruni said that 15 years of modelling were much more difficult than her job as First Lady.
And when she was model she said, than modelling was difficult BUT it was much much better than working as cashier in the supermarket!

Last edited:
- She dresses like she would have been dressed as a younger, single, relaxed independant journalist. But she is not all this anymore! Sometimes she gives me the impression like she would like to go back!!!

She usually wore classic clothes when she was a journalist. Many complained at the beginning of her marriage, she dressed like she was still working for TVE, her hair and makeup were always done by the professionals on TV.

She usually wore classic clothes when she was a journalist. Many complained at the beginning of her marriage, she dressed like she was still working for TVE, her hair and makeup were always done by the professionals on TV.

No I said like if she still have been a journalist, now. Not like when she was one.

Of course, it is not easy. But it is easier than doing other jobs in this world, she is helped and served for everything (do not tell me that she has minimum help) and the most important is that she choose this life, she married the man she loved!

Carla-Bruni said that 15 years of modelling were much more difficult than her job as First Lady.
And when she was model she said, than modelling was difficult BUT it was much much better than working as cashier in the supermarket!

I only said she did her hair, makeup and chose clothes with minimum help. I'm sure there were lazy days after a while, that explains it's not uncommon seeing bad hair, bad makeup among the young princesses.

I haven't been following Carla closely, don't know how active she is, but she always gave me an impression that she was doing part-time modeling now (surely easier than her former full time modeling), of course the impression could be wrong.

Last edited:
Flat shoes are nice if she was on holidays...not with this suit! The suit is too tigh for her, she is thin, very very thin, but has managed to wear such tigh trousers and also the length are too short ...

I doubt that's enough. She and Felipe usually do thorough studies on the organizations/events, make sure the speech connects with the current society and people, reflect the issues, provide encouragement and inspiration, thus they have to be informed well on the current affairs and government policies although not making political policy.

In the big picture it may not be enough and I do think that Letizia is a clever woman but I am referring to what THE PUBLIC will see, the PUBLIC image. There can only be one in the PUBLIC image of a monarchy, Spain is no exception, the consort is there to back up & take in, look nice & neat, give birth to children, engage with charity etc etc, Sofia's role is no different.
It could well be that Felipe or other people will recognize what Letizia does behind closed doors every single day, but she is and has always been in her journalist career very much about public recognition & reassurance and that is not what she gets as consort to the heir of the Spanish throne, quite frustrating for a former career woman.

Of course you are right but hey, thats everyday life of a female royal isnt it? Something Letizia either wasnt aware of or thought she could change with her intellectual assets but was proven wrong.

In the beginning, when Letizia was still idealistic about her role, she dressed nicely because she tried to be the perfect princess, fitting in everywhere she could and doing everything she was told. Since reality has sunk in, the effort has gone but I see her choice of clothing still as a statement, a rather worrying one though.

Last edited:
Flat shoes are nice if she was on holidays...not with this suit! The suit is too tigh for her, she is thin, very very thin, but has managed to wear such tigh trousers and also the length are too short ...

Agree,the shoes didn't suit her outfit.

Excuse my harsh words but you can totally see that the pants are too tight around her bum .

The fit of these pants borders on vulgar. I don't know anything about tailoring, but I have tried on lots of clothes! The fit, IMO would have to be intentional- the center seam intentionally made small to ride up into her ... :unsure: ... I'm not sure which word to use, so I'll leave it blank.

Junly 21, 2011 - Letizia in white pants, polka dot grayish top with a beige cardigan with lace insert in the back.

Her overall looks sloppy IMO. The cardigan is cute but could've been dressed up with a rich looking printed/colorful top that would match the overall look.
Pants and the polka dot top both look big on her.

Full view ** Back view

Junly 21, 2011 - Letizia in white pants, polka dot grayish top with a beige cardigan with lace insert in the back.

Her overall looks sloppy IMO. The cardigan is cute but could've been dressed up with a rich looking printed/colorful top that would match the overall look.
Pants and the polka dot top both look big on her.

Full view ** Back view

Very nice!!

Surprisingly better than the last times!!

Last edited:
I agree, in the past we did see her appropriately dressed for most occasions. Certain oufits were so chic and elegant. However, I do not know what has happened of late. She is such a lovely, lovely girl with quite a charming husband. I think everyone can have "off" days but Letizia is have just having too many of those right now.

Last edited:
The pieces combine to look wrong somehow. 3 disparate pieces just thrown together so no wonder she looks sloppy. The pant legs are too wide for her frame making her look like they don't fit; messy. The cardi is doesn't help either...the blouse and shoes are decent.

Is it common in the SRF for them to do 90% of their appearances together? It's lovely to see but don't they both have separate interests?

Last edited:
It does look sloppy and it doesnt help that each piece is of bad quality, something I'd probably buy for a beach holiday at the rummage table.
http://1.1.1.4/bmi/www.ppe-agency.com/500px/Jul2011/PPE11072168.jpg

Again, I wouldnt say anything if the SRF was on a close-to-the-average-spaniard strategy (how can there be a strategy for one family member only anyway :rolleyes:), but Felipe is always, even without dress code among children etc, in very formal high-quality custom made suits & tie. He is actually the least casual CP among his peers, always accurate & well groomed (ok, he is not Charles but for me he is the runner-up in that department) and this is the approach that a royal should usually have.

His wife's outfits are in sharp contrast and no match at all. I dont believe somebody in casareal will tell Letizia what to wear, its rather a statement she makes since other options to get a message across are very limited.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom