Princess Letizia's Daytime Fashion Part 17: December 2010 - February 2011

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thats an assumption from your side, nothing more. While I agree that Letizia has been critizised over the years for all sort of things, it has hardly been because of the cost of her clothing and that includes the Armani pantsuit at her engagement. It was critizised for not being Spanish and not being a skirt (the same critizism didnt apply to Infanta Cristina, that is true, but it was never about the suit being expensive).

If Letizia wore the same level of clothing as her inlaws and would be critizised for it while the others wouldnt, I'd agree on double standards, but thats not the case and has never been. The professional clothing of the first years of marriage wasnt expensive designer but did the job beautifully.

And by the way, we dont know what connections Sofia, Cristina and Elena make use of when managing their professional wardrobe (same would apply to Letizia), I highly doubt they will pay tens of thousands of Euros to any designer but will instead get massive discounts, loans that will be returned at some point or even freebies.

That's not true and dKaren provided you a recent example in an answer to a previous post of yours:
"In Feb last year, the tabloids made a big deal on Letizia spending 20,000 Euro per month on her clothes and accessories, starting on the day of her new Varela dress she wore at the foreign ambassadors reception, in fact most of the items of the month were recycled, the prices quoted were exaggerated prices that I doubt anyone would pay for."
http://www.theroyalforums.com/forum...t-17-december-2010-a-29573-6.html#post1190091

:previous: I agree. I´m Spanish and have to hear all the, in my opinion, very unfair critics to her. I can´t help laughing when I read here that "anybody would critise her for wearing expensive clothes".
I´ve heard many Spanish people complaining about "how much Letizia spends in clothes", and saying that they don´t want to pay it, and then I came to the forums and see her wearing those stuff from Mango or Zara (nothing against Mango and Zara, I buy at them and I love it, but Letizia looks underdressed in those clothes and she certainly doesn´t look royal enough compared to other CPs that surely spends much more money than her).
I find all these comments really unfair to her, actually. Whatever she does, she can´t do right!
I would love to see her in Channel or Prada outfits, I know that I´ll never see her in those clothes because evrybody would critize her, and I still have to read that "she doesn´t care" :bang::bang::bang:

Maybe I'm alone, but I really like what she is wearing. I don't think it's too short for someone who can pull it off with her body type.

Maybe I'm alone, but I really like what she is wearing. I don't think it's too short for someone who can pull it off with her body type.
I agree. And, if I could wear it, I certainly would.

ANNIE_S, that's because '"A lie repeated a hundred times becomes the truth." -Chairman Mao. A few journalists live on spreading gossips or lies on her including her expense on clothes, for example, Jaime P always complained about Letizia spending too much money on clothes, Paloma B. was fueling the rumors of her spending 20,000 one month on clothes by QMD, one of the most trashy magazines in Spain.

Personally I doubt her monthly budget is 20,000 Euros. Some Spanish members have stated that she has a budget per season & that would make more sense than a monthly budget. Even if she did have a monthly budget of that much, she is not using it since she is recycling many clothes and buying from Mango & Zara.

That's not true and dKaren provided you a recent example in an answer to a previous post of yours:
"In Feb last year, the tabloids made a big deal on Letizia spending 20,000 Euro per month on her clothes and accessories, starting on the day of her new Varela dress she wore at the foreign ambassadors reception, in fact most of the items of the month were recycled, the prices quoted were exaggerated prices that I doubt anyone would pay for."
http://www.theroyalforums.com/forum...t-17-december-2010-a-29573-6.html#post1190091

Is there, apart from any hearsay, a link or anything where is stated that Letizia is spending too much money on clothes in the Spanish media? I mean apart from the odd gossip statement by a nasty journalist that all royals have to deal with but do not start wearing cheap looking outfits afterwards. Are Jaime P or Paloma B that imporant figures when it comes to forming a public opinion in Spain with their statements having an impact on Letizias wardrobe? Hard to believe, really. Everyone who only understands little about fashion and quality can see that at least her clothes budget is not 20.000 Euros per month.

14/1 A great event for Princess Letizia, workshop with AECC

Grey suit

http://www.telecinco.es/informativo...plit/C_4_maincontent_100064182_largeimage.jpg
http://www.casareal.es/noticias/images/20110114_reunion_aecc/20110114_aecc_2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I want Princess Letizia's clothes to fit and I wish she had more imagination and changed the accessories and jewellery she wears with each outfit in public. Also, I expect formal clothes for formal military or national day occasions and not those skirt & blouse or trousers & top rigouts that Letizia has worn.

:previous: I agree, her make up is always great, but the rest - grey in grey, boring, sometimes even a bit sloppy... Oh well. :ermm:

Is there, apart from any hearsay, a link or anything where is stated that Letizia is spending too much money on clothes in the Spanish media? I mean apart from the odd gossip statement by a nasty journalist that all royals have to deal with but do not start wearing cheap looking outfits afterwards. Are Jaime P or Paloma B that imporant figures when it comes to forming a public opinion in Spain with their statements having an impact on Letizias wardrobe? Hard to believe, really. Everyone who only understands little about fashion and quality can see that at least her clothes budget is not 20.000 Euros per month.

That's not true, none of the others have to put up with the criticism Letizia suffers. If Letizia wore in public a Chanel handbag as Elena does, she would be eaten alive. If Letizia wore an Oscar de la Renta gown to an Spanish fashion award she would be eaten alive. Paloma Barrientos and Jaime Peñafiel only hate(because they hate her) Letizia, not the rest of the family. P.Barrientos has a couple of monarchy websites which are regularly quoted by people here, if I remember right you usually link many (negative) Letizia articles from her website. She also has a gossip magazine and appears sometimes on TV. Jaime Peñafiel goes everywhere, and I mean everywhere(I've even seen him in German TV) to badmouth Letizia. He writes an article every week in one of the most read newspapers in Spain, mostly about the royal family and appears in the most viewed gossip show in Spain, always making up incredible information about Letizia. He proclaims himself the biggest expert on the spanish royals and people start calling him that. So yes, they have a huge impact on public opinion, and as dKaren has already said, if they repeat a lie enough times, it becomes the thruth.

People think that because she's a princess she spends tons of money on her wardrobe, you only need to read the comments on the posts that feature Letizia on the Huffington Post; many posts talk about how much her clothes must be, how they would look great with her budget too etc..and these people have stopped to analyse her outfits and comment on them, the average spaniard doesn't so of course they don't know how much her clothes are worth, but if the see an haute couture gown from a foreign house, a recognisable Chanel handbag etc... everybody would start complaining.

And about today's suit: I like it, it's professional and appropiate for the event even if it wasn't the most exciting outfit.

Last edited:
:previous: I agree, her make up is always great, but the rest - grey in grey, boring, sometimes even a bit sloppy... Oh well. :ermm:

I agree, her make-up is nice, but it's also a bit boring. I mean, almost all the time, whether the night or the day, no matter what she wears, the make-up is pink / violet with a tiny green eyeliner at the bottom. Last time I checked there are different colours in the stores. Don't get me wrong, I am not talking extremes, but a small change every now and then would be nice.

That's not true, none of the others have to put up with the criticism Letizia suffers. If Letizia wore in public a Chanel handbag as Elena does, she would be eaten alive. If Letizia wore an Oscar de la Renta gown to an Spanish fashion award she would be eaten alive. Paloma Barrientos and Jaime Peñafiel only hate(because they hate her) Letizia, not the rest of the family. P.Barrientos has a couple of monarchy websites which are regularly quoted by people here, if I remember right you usually link many (negative) Letizia articles from her website. She also has a gossip magazine and appears sometimes on TV. Jaime Peñafiel goes everywhere, and I mean everywhere(I've even seen him in German TV) to badmouth Letizia. He writes an article every week in one of the most read newspapers in Spain, mostly about the royal family and appears in the most viewed gossip show in Spain, always making up incredible information about Letizia. He proclaims himself the biggest expert on the spanish royals and people start calling him that. So yes, they have a huge impact on public opinion, and as dKaren has already said, if they repeat a lie enough times, it becomes the thruth.

People think that because she's a princess she spends tons of money on her wardrobe, you only need to read the comments on the posts that feature Letizia on the Huffington Post; many posts talk about how much her clothes must be, how they would look great with her budget too etc..and this people have stopped to analyse her outfits and comment on them, the average spaniard doesn't so of course they don't know how much her clothes are worth, but if the see an haute couture gown from a foreign house, a recognisable Chanel handbag etc... everybody would start complaining.

And about today's suit: I like it, it's professional and appropiate for the event even if it wasn't the most exciting outfit.

I always laugh when I hear that. Come on, one does not need a huge budget to look great. Nice, classy, elegant look can be easily achieved with a very small spending. It's not a matter of money, it's the matter of knowing what and how. Some have it, some don't, some have help.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's nice, very professional look. It suits CP better than short gray dresses. I also like nice make-up and shining hair.

I agree, her make-up is nice, but it's also a bit boring. I mean, almost all the time, whether the night or the day, no matter what she wears, the make-up is pink / violet with a tiny green eyeliner at the bottom. Last time I checked there are different colours in the stores. Don't get me wrong, I am not talking extremes, but a small change every now and then would be nice.

Yes, I agree here, too. I realized that she always goes for the same make up style and colors. I think it's safe for her, but also a bit boring. Letizia doesn't seem very inspired at the moment. A few changes and experiments style-wise wouldn't hurt (for example looking for new pairs of pretty shoes without platforms :p). Nevertheless, her make up looks always professional, IMO and I don't mean it too critical. Letizia is a beautiful woman, she could look much better.

If she is spending that much on her wardrobe she is being robbed blind!;)
I don't mind the greys and browns she favors if she would bring to her engagements more smiles.....She is always beautiful, but doesn't look happy. Maybe she is but she doesn't look it IMO!

Personally I doubt her monthly budget is 20,000 Euros. Some Spanish members have stated that she has a budget per season & that would make more sense than a monthly budget. Even if she did have a monthly budget of that much, she is not using it since she is recycling many clothes and buying from Mango & Zara.

In fact due to the number of pictures I see of her recycling her outfits she hardly seems like a clothes horse to me. I don't even know even she spends 20,000 Euros per season. I say that because even her dresses are cycled at great frequency. If anyone deserves new clothes it is Letizia. I would also like to point out that she seems sensitive to such criticisms. After all we have yet to see the tiara Felipe bought her because they fear it would be viewed as too extravagant.

At the military ceremony, the black top and jacket do not go with that beautiful long skirt, they go with a short skirt or trousers. It appears as if Letizia mixed business attire with formal and it doesn't work.

The grey suit she wore on Jan 14th is very elegant and well-tailored. I liked it on Letizia but does she realize that everything she's been wearing lately is grey?! :sad:

Princess Letizia attends the annual Foreign Ambassadors Reception. January 18, 2011

Full lenght view * Close up 1 * Close up 2 * Close up 3

Really nice outfit, very elegant. I like her make up
Wow, great outfit. I would like to see the dress without the jacket, it seems awesome (it looks like black velvet, doesn´t it?)
I wish she had done something different with her hair, the whole look would look perfect with an updo. She should wear more jewells, too, those little earrings are becoming quite boring.

finally, an elegant outfit on letizia. ;) I wish she used a different hair style and added some jewels. for example: a nice brooche.

Yay she's not wearing a shade of grey or hue of grey. She looks fantastic in color! Still, not loving the suit come evening dress look (and the long face...but that's too picky) but I'll take what I can get from CP Letizia. She' looks really lovely.

Last edited:
Its good to see something new but the result is not clicking with me. I find the outfit too similar to the other blue combo (below) and I dont like the material of the jacket (looks like a coloured lizard or so), the style is too business like. Again very boring, no jewellery, hair hanging down.

Hopefully underneath is a pretty midnight blue dress that we see recylced at another event.

http://www3.pictures.zimbio.com/gi/Princess+Letizia+Spanish+Royals+Celebrate+d2nQSBDX7Oyl.jpg

Princess Letizia attends the annual Foreign Ambassadors Reception. January 18, 2011

Full lenght view * Close up 1 * Close up 2 * Close up 3

Really nice outfit, very elegant. I like her make up

I like the colours, it's a great change from the greys. Not sure about business evening outfit put together, but I like each piece separately.

In some pictures her hair looks a bit greasy.

The outfit is fine - I like the colours on Letizia. Her make-up is beautiful. Thumbs up.
This could have been a perfectly elegant look, but imo it was ruined by her hair. To me her hair once again looks pretty messy. Thumbs down.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom