HSH Prince Rainier has died!

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Prince Rainier'body lies-in-state in the Palace's chapel.

Attachments

• 52611020.jpg
    52611020.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 883
  • 52611014.jpg
    52611014.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 598
  • 52611016.jpg
    52611016.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 12,826
Enelle said:
At the Abaca site there are pics of the late Prince Rainier lying in Monaco Palace chapel:eek: . It makes me wonder whose idea it was to take pics like that. Thats awful:(. There should be some respect to P. Raineir:( :( :(

This is a normal thing to be done. At least here in Europe it is. It is an official thing. Like it has been done when Grace died ( or the pope as well). This is not a so called paparazi picture. It's an official photo.

It's very sad to see him anyway. Although I know it will be even more difficult when I'm in Monaco for the funeral.

michelle said:
This is a normal thing to be done. At least here in Europe it is. It is an official thing. Like it has been done when Grace died ( or the pope as well). This is not a so called paparazi picture. It's an official photo.

It's very sad to see him anyway. Although I know it will be even more difficult when I'm in Monaco for the funeral.

I'm from Europe too and in my country there is similiar custom. When my aunt died (she had brain surgery so you can imagine how she looked) they opened the coffin & took pics of her. But what is the most sad her daughter had to watch it all. It was horrible.:(

Enelle said:
I'm from Europe too and in my country there is similiar custom. When my aunt died (she had brain surgery so you can imagine how she looked) they opened the coffin & took pics of her. But what is the most sad her daughter had to watch it all. It was horrible.:(

I'm very sorry about your aunt, Enelle.
I just wanted to point out that it is nothing special that these official photos of satesmen and such people in the coffin are published, just 2 or 3 of them for the rest of the world who does not have the chance to walk by the coffin and say goodbye.

I'm not very fond these kind of pics, but they are official pics. Anyway you can see on the table his hat and gloves :(

It is a pretty common pratice to have an open casket. Even here in America they do it. When my father died, there was an open casket viewing. I know that some pictures were taken by my grandmother, but to be honest, I will most likely never have the desire to look at them. That's not how I want to remember my dad. I want to remember him as a healthy and happy person, not in a casket about to be laid in the ground. For that reason, I feel sorry for Albert, Caroline and Stephanie. But, I understand the reasonings why they do it. For the same reason that they had the Pope lying in state It's to give the public one last chance to see him and one last chance to say goodbye. I guess in a sense, it makes it seem more real. I know that's how I felt when my dad died. It was so surreal, until I looked at him in the casket and realized that yes, he really was gone.

Tribute to Prince Rainier

Polfoto 10-04-2005 Mourners take shelter under umbrellas as they wait in front of Monaco's palace to pay a final tribute to Prince Rainier III, on a rainy Sunday April 10, 2005, in Monte Carlo. The late prince's funeral is to take place on Friday, April 15. (AP Photo/Eric Gaillard, POOL)

On the last photo you can see Baroness Elisabeth Ann de Massy (Prince Rainier's niece) with daughter coming to the Palace.

So sad looking on this photos..and rainy day..:(

Attachments

• 1a.jpg
    1a.jpg
    37.4 KB · Views: 287
  • 1b.jpg
    1b.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 353
  • 11.jpg
    11.jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 482
Last edited:
A great man go away! My deepest condolance for The Princely Family & People of Monaco!

Has anyone seen Princess Antoinette, Rainier's sister ?

Thanks for the pics Ianna. They are sad:( . It`s normal to open the coffin, but it´s scary.
I´ve seen a video it´s in spanish,but...:eek: . I don´t know how to post it so i´ll try with the link, (i hope it works)www.clarin.com.ar/diario/2005/04/10/um/m-954759.htm. In there you have to click on "mas informacion,en:Video: en el palacio de monaco se rinde homenaje al principe"

With all the conspiracies about Grace's death 20+ years later, even though Rainier's death was a long time coming and of natural causes, part of the reason for the images of his open casket lying in state might be to put such conspiracies to his death to an end. Sort of as "proof" or "evidence" that he has indeed died.

During the days after the Pope's death I read a story on Yahoo news about how it was suspected that Rainier was dead already but that the family wanted to wait a few days before announcing his death so that it wouldn't be split with the attention of the Pope's funeral. A terrible, terrible story but you just never know what people are going to write these days.

Thanks for the pictures of Rainier lying in state with the mourners visiting. It is very sad, but I'm happy to see those paying respect even through the rainny weather.

Adieu à notre grand patron - on va vous garder dans notre coeur à plus jamais.
We will always love you.

marezdote said:
Any word on who is attending his funeral yet?

According to the Royal Norwegian website Queen Sonja will represent Norway at the funeral.

marezdote said:
Any word on who is attending his funeral yet?

Prince Andrew will be there to represent the British Monarchy. Usually Charles would go, as the queen never attends state funerals, but since he'll be on his honeymoon, Andrew will go.

According to the Scandinavian Royals MB it, Prince Joachim will represent the Danish royal contingent.

An "odd" mix of representatives to Rainier's funeral: A queen (Norway), and the younger brothers of two heirs to the throne (Andrew and Joachim for Charles and Frederik).

I would think that for someone of Rainier's position, who was the longest-reigning monarch the heads of each monarchy or their heirs could at least represent their respective families.

I would think that for someone of Rainier's position, who was the longest-reigning monarch the heads of each monarchy or their heirs could at least represent their respective families.

Definitly I agree. Heirs must go to the funeral (and also some queens), he was the longest reining monarch!.
I undestand the British Family, they have a lot troubles to get married, but why not Andrew and Wills?
I hope the other Royal houses send heirs or important people

I think that maybe Sofia and Juan Carlos will be in the funeral

According to a spanish magazine, King Juan Carlos will be attending.

help!!

Which European channels will broadcast P. Rainier's funeral???

who attend Europeans Royals includes Kings&Queens and Couples Crown Prince and Princess, Prince&Princess,Duke,Earl and Countess,etc. makes lists to attend funerals of Rainier

if have tv coverages of Prince Rainier in USA?

Sara Boyce

sara1981 said:
who attend Europeans Royals includes Kings&Queens and Couples Crown Prince and Princess, Prince&Princess,Duke,Earl and Countess,etc. makes lists to attend funerals of Rainier

if have tv coverages of Prince Rainier in USA?

Sara Boyce
Sara,it just announced that Queen Sonja of Norway and Prince Andrew will be one of guests there.I think there will be more.

According to a spanish magazine, King Juan Carlos will be attending.

Cool beans.. Has the Swedish royal family stated who will be going to Rainier's funeral?

Alexandria said:
According to the Scandinavian Royals MB it, Prince Joachim will represent the Danish royal contingent.

An "odd" mix of representatives to Rainier's funeral: A queen (Norway), and the younger brothers of two heirs to the throne (Andrew and Joachim for Charles and Frederik).

I agree with you Alexandria on each Royal House either sending the Monarch or at least the Heir.

Well I don't think King Harald won't attend the funeral due to his health condition, but Haakon could also attend with his mom. I'm sure Carl Gustav, Sylvia, and Victoria will attend the funeral, as well as King Juan Carlos & Queen Sofia.

I'm surprised Princess Benedicte won't attend as she attended Grace's. Myabe the Belgian Kings and Queen Fabiola go to Monaco too. As well as Farah Diba, the Great Dukes of Luxembourg, the Greek Kings, and maybe Maxima & William Alexander.

Jacques Chirac will attend the funeral too.

I'm pretty sure lots of heads of state and personalities will attend the funeral.

I hope a lot of people go because I have always heard that he was quite hurt that no royals came to his wedding.

I'm sure they will attend. We also have to keep in mind that the friends of the Princely Family will atttend.

A sad event :(

monaco70s said:
I agree with you Alexandria on each Royal House either sending the Monarch or at least the Heir.

Well I don't think King Harald won't attend the funeral due to his health condition, but Haakon could also attend with his mom. I'm sure Carl Gustav, Sylvia, and Victoria will attend the funeral, as well as King Juan Carlos & Queen Sofia.

I'm surprised Princess Benedicte won't attend as she attended Grace's.

In the Norwegian case, Haakon cannot go because I believe that there needs to be a Regeant in the country. So Queen Sonja is the best thing (since Harald obviously cannot go). Mette-Marit could accompany Queen Sonja if she so desired, or if the Norwegian court determined it necessary/beneficial for her to go.

I am surprised that in Denmark if Margrethe or Frederik could not go, that it was not Benedikte, rathan than Joachim, too. Benedikte, to me, seems like the next logical choice after Margrethe and Frederik as she has some history with the family even though she is not the monarch or the heir.

In Great Britain, I know Charles is on his honeymoon and I think he deserves it, but it would be one day out of his honeymoon. He postponed his actual wedding day to attend the Pope's funeral -- he can't take one day out of his honeymoon to attend Rainier's funeral? And if Charles is a no-go and the Queen does not travel out of the country for such occasions, then why not Prince Phillip? He represented Great Britain at Ingrid of Denmark and Claus of the Netherland's funeral (as well as Bernhard Sr.'s, I believe).

Yeah I was also thinking of Prince Phillip because he knew Grace and Rainier, and also I think Anne could go because she was very close to Grace in the early 70s, she visited Monaco and even invited Grace and Rainier to her 1973 wedding.

I also think we might see Vittorio Emmanuel and Emmanuel Filiberto of Italy because they are very close to Rainier and Albert.

I heard on TV that it will be announced on Thurs. who will attend the funeral.

We might see Reza II too and who knows maybe the Yugoslav royals as they attended Grace's funeral and some balls in Monaco. Also maybe the Rumanian and Bulgarian ones.

i have not heard anything about prince rainer's funeal except here on this thread. i cant find anything on tv news here in us. will his funeal be televise here in the us? if so, what channels or stations will have coverage?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom