Death and Funeral of Vittorio Emanuele of Savoy, Prince of Naples, Feb 2024

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ilse

Nobility
City
Leeuwarden
Country
Netherlands
Vittorio Emanuele has died 3rd February.

Official communicate
GFZ5vjLXcAAgfpa

This needs a new thread, he was the Head of his House.

Sad news. I thought Vittorio Emanuele resided in Italy.

I believe that Vittorio Emanuele should be buried in Hautecombe Abbey, in France. This is where his parents, King Umberto II and Queen Marie-José, are buried.

Hautecombe Abbey is a former Cistercian monastery, later a Benedictine monastery, in Saint-Pierre-de-Curtille in Savoie, France. For centuries it was the burial place of the members of the House of Savoy.

The Italian royal family announces that a mass for the late Prince Vittorio Emanuele of Savoy will be celebrated tomorrow, February 4, in the royal chapel of Saint-Louis at the Military School, at 10:45 am. (13th place Joffre in Paris).

Last edited by a moderator:
I believe that Vittorio Emanuele should be buried in Hautecombe Abbey, in France. This is where his parents, King Umberto II and Queen Marie-José, are buried.
Very sad news indeed. My condolences to The Duchess of Savoy and to the new Duke.

I believe a Funeral Mass will be held at Hautecombe as well, with all members of Savoy Dynastic Orders accompanying the coffin and showing their respects to their Grand Master. The same was done for his Father: the Late King Umberto II.
I also believe he will be buried in the Abbey, with which he had very good relationship and was there many times.
I’m not sure any foreign royal guest will attend the Funeral though. Maybe from Monaco, Belgium and Bulgaria there will be representatives.

He was the Cousin of King Albert II of the Belgians and Great Cousin for Luxembourg.
For the question who will succeed him , his Son , his Grand Daughter or the Duke of Savoie?
I don't know how was the relationship with his sisters , Maria Pia, Maria Gabrielle and Maria Beatrice?

Last edited:
He was the Cousin of King Albert II of the Belgians and Great Cousin for Luxembourg.
For the question who will succeed him , his Son , his Grand Daughter or the Duke of Savoie?
I don't know how was the relationship with his sisters , Maria Pia, Maria Gabrielle and Maria Beatrice?
He was also cousin to Simeon II of Bulgaria and others.
He is succeeded by his son, Prince Emanuele Filiberto, now new Duke of Savoy.
He had good relationship with his sisters, he used to see them often, particularly during Christmas and Easter holidays when they used to gather.

His family issued an announcement of his death, stating that he died peacefully in Geneva (Switzerland) surrounded by family.

https://www.ordinidinasticicasasavoia.it/la-real-casa-di-savoia-annuncia-quanto-segue/

S.A.R. IL PRINCIPE VITTORIO EMANUELE DI SAVOIA

La Real Casa di Savoia annuncia quanto segue.

"Alle ore 7.05 di questa matina, 3 Febbraio 2024, Sua Altezza Reale Vittorio Emanuele, Duca di Savoia e Principe di Napoli, circondato dalla Sua famiglia, si è serenamente spento in Genova.

Luogo e data delle esequie saranno comunicati appena possibile".

The Italian royal family announces that a mass for the late Prince Vittorio Emanuele of Savoy will be celebrated tomorrow, February 4, in the royal chapel of Saint-Louis at the Military School, at 10:45 am. (13th place Joffre in Paris).

Why Paris?

Will the Italian government issue a statement or attend his funeral? Did they do so when ex-king Umberto died? On the one hand, the fact that Vittorio Emanuele and his descendants recognize the republic of Italy as legitimate and do not claim the defunct throne (although they do claim defunct titles) might make it easier. On the other hand, the fact that Vittorio Emanuele as a person was mired in scandal (to put it mildly) throughout most of his life might be a strong reason to dissociate themselves. It will also be interesting to see how the rival Aosta branch reacts.

Emanuele Filiberto stated last year that he would abdicate the headship of the family (disputed of course by the Aosta branch) to his daughter; it will be interesting to see if and when he follows through.

https://torino.corriere.it/notizie/...ti-0f558e92-0d0e-496f-b838-67936cab9xlk.shtml

Last edited:
Are Vittorio' s three sisters still alive?

Very sad news indeed. My condolences to The Duchess of Savoy and to the new Duke.

I believe a Funeral Mass will be held at Hautecombe as well, with all members of Savoy Dynastic Orders accompanying the coffin and showing their respects to their Grand Master. The same was done for his Father: the Late King Umberto II.
I also believe he will be buried in the Abbey, with which he had very good relationship and was there many times.
I’m not sure any foreign royal guest will attend the Funeral though. Maybe from Monaco, Belgium and Bulgaria there will be representatives.

And maybe some Greeks will attend.

He was appalling and had no sense of responsibility.

When King Umberto of Savoy died , in his testament he wrote that he wanted to be buried with the ring or seal of the Savoy family under his armpit.

I wonder if this is just a Mass in his memory, rather than a funeral Mass. it would be odd to have a funeral on a Sunday, and I can’t imagine too many royal cousins would be able to attend with only a day’s notice.

He was also cousin to Simeon II of Bulgaria and others.
He had good relationship with his sisters, he used to see them often, particularly during Christmas and Easter holidays when they used to gather.

Will the Italian government issue a statement or attend his funeral? Did they do so when ex-king Umberto died?
Sadly, when King Umberto died there was no official reaction from the Italian government, IIRC. Surely his funeral was deserted by the Italian government, no member or delegation from it attended; the only authority from the Italian Republic who attended was the Italian Consul in Lyon.

Will the Italian government issue a statement or attend his funeral? Did they do so when ex-king Umberto died? On the one hand, the fact that Vittorio Emanuele and his descendants recognize the republic of Italy as legitimate and do not claim the defunct throne (although they do claim defunct titles) might make it easier. On the other hand, the fact that Vittorio Emanuele as a person was mired in scandal (to put it mildly) throughout most of his life might be a strong reason to dissociate themselves. It will also be interesting to see how the rival Aosta branch reacts

When King Umberto II died in 1983 there weren't any official representatives of the Italian Republic in Hautecombe (here's a report of his funeral, from the famous italian tv host Enzo Tortora:
) and I don't think any statement was issued. To be honest, I don't expect anybody from the government attending Vittorio Emanuele's funerals, either: it's true that the relationship between the Italian Republic and the House of Savoy has improved, if compared to 1983 (the repeal, in 2002, of the first two paragraphs of the XIII transitional provision of the Constitution being a proof of it), but Vittorio Emanuele, as you point out, was a very controversial character and, more importantly, doesn't have the same importance as his father in Italian history. VE left Italy when he was a child (9 years old) and never had any kind of official role in Italy as an adult. His father, on the other hand, despite being King for only 33 days, was the de facto head of state for two years (after the Liberation of Rome in June 1944) and was heir to the throne for several decades. So, not attending Umberto's funeral but being present at his son's would not make much sense to me. But I could be wrong, of course
As for the Aostas, if I'm not mistaken when Amedeo died in 2021 VE issued a statement, so it would probably be a nice gesture if Aimone did the same now, despite the dynastic dispute and regardless of what he might think of him as a person

I wonder if this is just a Mass in his memory, rather than a funeral Mass. it would be odd to have a funeral on a Sunday, and I can’t imagine too many royal cousins would be able to attend with only a day’s notice.

It's indeed just a Mass in his memory, as it's indicated. I imagine the funeral will take place in Hautecombe, where he probably will be buried, like his parents, but there's still no official information about it afaik

My condolences to the family. Losing someone is always hard but I believe the man to be a thug, bully, and murderer and hope his funeral is a quiet, private affair. He has never done Italy proud.

Captain Ugo D'Atri, president of the National Institute of the Guard of Honor of the Royal Tombs of the Pantheon, confirms that Prince Vittorio Emanuele of Savoy will be buried in the royal crypt of the Basilica of Superga, in Turin, on February 10, 2024.

Captain Ugo D'Atri, president of the National Institute of the Guard of Honor of the Royal Tombs of the Pantheon, confirms that Prince Vittorio Emanuele of Savoy will be buried in the royal crypt of the Basilica of Superga, in Turin, on February 10, 2024.

My prediction was clearly wrong
Also according to Il Corriere Della Sera it will be in Superga:
https://www.google.com/amp/s/torino...9cd4a00-8c06-462b-8a5b-125d89b5bxlk_amp.shtml
The funeral will take place on 10 February at 3 pm

Being a first cousin of King Albert II and Grand Duchess Joséphine-Charlotte made him a first cousin once removed of King Philippe and Grand Duke Henri in English terminology. Prince Emanuele Filiberto, on the other hand, is King Philippe's and Grand Duke Henri's second cousin as they share a common great-grandparent, King Albert I of the Belgians.

Last edited:
:previous: He also posted the statement on his official website.

VITTORIO EMANUELE DI SAVOIA

(12 febbraio 1937 - 3 febbraio 2024)

Messaggio del Principe Aimone di Savoia nella triste circostanza della scomparsa del Principe Vittorio Emanuele di Savoia

La scomparsa di Zio Vittorio, il Principe Vittorio Emanuele di Savoia, mi addolora profondamente. Con Lui, a quasi tre anni dalla perdita di mio Padre, si chiude un capitolo di storia d'Italia e della nostra Casa.

In questo triste momento rinnovo la mia vicinanza alla Principessa Marina, al Principe Emanuele Filiberto con la Principessa Clotilde e le figlie, Principesse Vittoria e Luisa, e alle Principesse Maria Pia, Maria Gabriella e Maria Beatrice.

Aimone di Savoia​

A kind gesture to refer to his relative (who once punched his father at the Spanish royal wedding) as "Uncle Vittorio" (has he done that before?). Interesting how Vittorio Emanuele's statement of condolence in 2021 referred to "His Royal Highness the Duke of Aosta" while Aimone refers to "Prince Vittorio Emanuele of Savoy".

I agree. I cannot imagine that tomorrow would be the "official" Requiem Mass.

My condolences to his family!

I agree. I cannot imagine that tomorrow would be the "official" Requiem Mass.

Indeed, it isn't. The funeral will be next Saturday, 10 February, in Superga, near Turin, a highly-symbolic place for the Savoys. I'm surprised it will be held in Italy, but probably it makes sense. VE's passing was very widely reported in the media here in Italy, as he was a well-known figure (not for very good reasons)

The statement is correct in my opinion, as Vittorio Emanuele briefly held the legal status of Crown Prince before the monarchy was abolished in Italy.

Yes, it's absolutely correct. He was the Crown Prince for one month, aged 9, when his father was King (May-June 1946).

Back
Top Bottom