Death and Funeral of Vittorio Emanuele of Savoy, Prince of Naples, Feb 2024

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Why is the prefix H.S.R. used in the pictures? Interestingly, Emanuele Filiberto is referred as H.R.H. instead.

Possibly just a simple typo error.

Next to him his cousins : Michel ; Hélène of Yougoslavia with her second husband and a Lady ? (daughter of Princess Maria Gabrielle?

Princesses Clotilde, Vittoria and Luisa are paying their visit now. Princess Maria Pia is also there. Princess Marina will visit in the afternoon.

Indeed. I was surprised to see in the pictures the President of the Italian Senate (the second highest-ranking office in Italy, behind the President of the Republic), Ignazio La Russa, talking to Emanuele Filiberto and his eldest daughter.

Heartbreaking images, being an only child has many pros, but when a parent passes it's so very hard. At least Emanuele Filiberto has the support of his wife and daughters, although both girls, especially Luisa, look so very sad as well. :sad:

Is there any reason why the coffin is on the floor of the church and not on a catafalque?

In Italy, it is a sign of utmost respect to place the coffin on the floor. See for instance the funerals of the Pope, all priests, Italian noble families. In Italy it is common for aristocratic families to have “funerals more nobilium”, reserved to aristocratic families. A distinctive gesture is to place the coffin on the floor and to cover it with the family’s standard. This tradition is common only in Italy.

https://it.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Funerale_more_nobilium

Anyway this is the lying-in-state but ceremonially similar.

Last edited:
With the presence of the President of the Senate, today the Italian State was represented at the highest level

In Italy, it is a sign of utmost respect to place the coffin on the floor. See for instance the funerals of the Pope, all priests, Italian noble families. In Italy it is common for aristocratic families to have “funerals more nobilium”, reserved to aristocratic families. A distinctive gesture is to place the coffin on the floor and to cover it with the family’s standard. This tradition is common only in Italy.

https://it.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Funerale_more_nobilium

Anyway this is the lying-in-state but ceremonially similar.

The tradition of placing the coffin on the floor was also followed in the funeral of Queen Fabiola, although she was not Italian.

The tradition of placing the coffin on the floor was also followed in the funeral of Queen Fabiola, although she was not Italian.
Yes, I guess it has to do with Catholicism and the Crusades. My Priest says all Catholics should be laid on the floor.

With the presence of the President of the Senate, today the Italian State was represented at the highest level

He stated in an interview that he was there for two reasons, private and official. First and foremost, he was there for Emanuele Filiberto, which whom he is good friends but also because he recognises the part that the House of Savoy played in the history of Italian unification, saying that with the House of Savoy, it's not a question of "light" or "shadow" but light AND shadow.

I haven't seen pictures of VE's two younger sisters, but at least some of Princess Maria Gabriella's grandchildren were present:

https://media.gettyimages.com/id/19...=2ili1UmSXcjmI-EPs0jpp-Wib2yer6st2aoD8JMPPZQ=

In this image, the young woman behind Luisa should be Gabriella Janssens (b.2004, daughter of Elisabeth Balkany and her husband Olivier Janssens), with one of her younger brothers, probably Victor

Thanks. Have already wondered who they are. Good to know that there seems to be a relationship between EF and his cousin Gabriella.

I haven't seen pictures of VE's two younger sisters, but at least some of Princess Maria Gabriella's grandchildren were present
The two younger sisters won’t participate as they are stuck in their home countries (Switzerland and Mexico) for health reasons. Princess Maria Gabriella was hospitalized in Geneva in the same days as Prince Vittorio Emanuele.

EF and Clotilde’s younger daughter is beautiful, we haven’t seen as much of her as her sister Vitoria.

:previous: The eldest, Vittoria, bears such a strong physical resemblance to her mother Clothilde that it's occasionally difficult to tell them apart.

Same astonishing mother daughter/ resemblance as Princess Caroline and her daughter Charlotte.

Last edited:
Royals who will be present at the funeral:
Queen Sofia of Spain
Grand Duke Henri of Luxembourg
Princess Astrid of Belgium and Prince Lorenz
Prince Albert II of Monaco
King Albert and Paola of Belgium
Prince Alexander of Serbia and Princess Katherine
Prince Leka of Albania
Duke and Duchess of Braganza and Duarte de Sousa Araújo Martins (spouse of Infanta María Francisca)
Mohammad bin Salman
Grand Duke George of Russia
Jean Christophe Bonaparte
Count and Countess of París
Duke and Duchess of Castro
https://www.instagram.com/p/C3I2ATcItos/?igsh=ZjVoZGIwN2Nsc2Nh
https://www.instagram.com/p/C3I0huqMN2M/?igsh=cGRkem1ycXV2czJp

Last edited:
According to La Stampa, the House of Savoy announced that the following Royals will be present at tomorrow's funeral:

Grand Duke Henri of Luxembourg, Prince Albert II of Monaco, Queen Sofia of Spain, Princess Astrid and Prince Lorenz of Belgium, Archduke Martin of Austria, Prince Leka of Albania, Charles and Camilla of Bourbon Two Sicilies, the Royal Prince of Saudi Arabia, Grand Duke George of Russia, Prince Jean Christophe Bonaparte, the Count and Countess of Paris, the Duke and Duchess of Parma, the Princes of Serbia (the Crown Prince and Princess?), the Royal Prince of Saudi Arabia, the Prince of Portugal of Braganza royal family (the Duke of Braganza?).
Prince Aimone and Princess Olga will also be present.

https://www.lastampa.it/torino/2024...fettuosa_dei_windsor_ma_nessuno_di_-14058991/

I'm not sure if it's completely reliable, but I definitely expected Prince Albert of Monaco and somebody from Belgium and Luxembourg, and it seems that Henri and Astrid, children of two of VE's Belgian first cousins will be there; I'm surprised to see Queen Sofia listed, after the infamous incident at Felipe and Letizia's wedding.

According to La Stampa, the House of Savoy announced that the following Royals will be present at tomorrow's funeral:

Grand Duke Henri of Luxembourg, Prince Albert II of Monaco, Queen Sofia of Spain, Princess Astrid and Prince Lorenz of Belgium, Archduke Martin of Austria, Prince Leka of Albania, Charles and Camilla of Bourbon Two Sicilies, the Royal Prince of Saudi Arabia, Grand Duke George of Russia, Prince Jean Christophe Bonaparte, the Count and Countess of Paris, the Duke and Duchess of Parma, the Princes of Serbia (the Crown Prince and Princess?), the Royal Prince of Saudi Arabia, the Prince of Portugal of Braganza royal family (the Duke of Braganza?).

That is an unexpectedly impressive guest list. I regret, however, that none of the Protestant monarchies will send representatives.

Royals who will be present at the funeral:
Queen Sofia of Spain
Princess Astrid of Belgium and Prince Lorenz
Prince Albert II of Monaco
King Albert and Paola of Belgium
Prince Alexander of Serbia and Princess Katherine
Prince Leka of Albania
Duke and Duchess of Braganza and Duarte de Sousa Araújo Martins (spouse of Infanta María Francisca)
Mohammad bin Salman
Grand Duke George of Russia
Jean Christophe Bonaparte
Count and Countess of París
Duke and Duchess of Castro
https://www.instagram.com/p/C3I2ATcItos/?igsh=ZjVoZGIwN2Nsc2Nh

Also the Duke of Aosta and Princess Olga.

The Prince of Naples is to be cremated. The ashes will return to Superga, there is no space left for a coffin.

Last edited:
That is an unexpectedly impressive guest list. I regret, however, that none of the Protestant monarchies will send representatives.

But then the only time Vittorio Emanuele and Marina where present at an Event in a protestant monarchy was the danish Royal Wedding in 2004. And there are no family relations to them like to the catholic Families.

But yes indeed a quiet good guestlist. Would not have expected such a turnout

Weird not to see Tsar Simen II of Bulgaria. They were first cousins and close.

Surprised not see the Pahlavis not on the list considering the late Prince’s links to the family as well as Filiberto’s friendship with CP Reza Pahlavi.

https://www.lastampa.it/torino/2024...fettuosa_dei_windsor_ma_nessuno_di_-14058991/

I'm not sure if it's completely reliable, but I definitely expected Prince Albert of Monaco and somebody from Belgium and Luxembourg, and it seems that Henri and Astrid, children of two of VE's Belgian first cousins will be there; I'm surprised to see Queen Sofia listed, after the infamous incident at Felipe and Letizia's wedding.
Which Saudi Prince? Quite surprised to know of any links to the Saudis. The only link to Saudi is that Filiberto opened one of his restaurants in Riyadh.

Last edited by a moderator:
It strikes me that Queen Sofia is on the list:ohmy:Due to the latest references that Victor Manuel made about King Juan Carlos, but also because she did not attend the funeral of her cousin the Duke of Aosta who was son of the Princess Irene of Greece, sister of King Paul..Everyone expected that the Queen Sofia went to her cousin Amadeo's funeral, however she did not attend, which is why her presence seems very strange to me.:ermm:::ermm:

It strikes me that Queen Sofia is on the list:ohmy:Due to the latest references that Victor Manuel made about King Juan Carlos, but also because she did not attend the funeral of her cousin the Duke of Aosta who was son of the Princess Irene of Greece, sister of King Paul..Everyone expected that the Queen Sofia went to her cousin Amadeo's funeral, however she did not attend, which is why her presence seems very strange to me.:ermm:::ermm:

Perhaps Queen Sofía did not attend the Duke of Aosta's funeral because of the Covid pandemic. It seemed as though only Amedeo's immediate family was present for his funeral, and they were all wearing masks. It might have been too great a health risk for the Queen.

He stated in an interview that he was there for two reasons, private and official. First and foremost, he was there for Emanuele Filiberto, which whom he is good friends but also because he recognises the part that the House of Savoy played in the history of Italian unification, saying that with the House of Savoy, it's not a question of "light" or "shadow" but light AND shadow.

Is the interview available to read online?

It strikes me that Queen Sofia is on the list:ohmy:Due to the latest references that Victor Manuel made about King Juan Carlos,[...]

What did the late Victor Emmanuel say about King Juan Carlos?

What did the late Victor Emmanuel say about King Juan Carlos?

My guess is they are referring to the recent Netflix documentary we're Beatrice Bomorreo recorded the late Prince saying Juan Carlos shot his brother dead and he knows this because he was there. I'm am still surprised that frank admission never made bigger headlines.

Back
Top Bottom