Charles III: Coronation Information and Musings - Part 1

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I doubt too many will be using them at Sainsbury's ;)

? Brilliant!

She is probably travelling because she isn't going ot be invited. I think that she's made quite a comeback, because the queen loved Andrew and during Covid etc, Sarah was around and their old friendship was renewed. But I think Charles would draw the line at inviting her to the Coronation...

I was expecting her to be invited for the sake of her daughters if nothing else. She is the mother of two princesses and I would guess Andrew would want her to be there as they enjoy a close relationship, but of course it's not down to them. It's Charles's day and his decision.

? Brilliant!

I was expecting her to be invited for the sake of her daughters if nothing else. She is the mother of two princesses and I would guess Andrew would want her to be there as they enjoy a close relationship, but of course it's not down to them. It's Charles's day and his decision.
Newsflash she isn’t actually part of the BRF since she divorced Andrew, and I don’t believe she was close to Charles. The York girls aren’t little girls so her being the mother of two princesses doesn’t come into play in this. This isn’t like the times when the girls were young and having separate Christmas celebrations with their mum at one place, then with the BRF at another place.

Newsflash she isn’t actually part of the BRF since she divorced Andrew, and I don’t believe she was close to Charles. The York girls aren’t little girls so her being the mother of two princesses doesn’t come into play in this. This isn’t like the times when the girls were young and having separate Christmas celebrations with their mum at one place, then with the BRF at another place.

That's all very true, although the fact that the girls are grown up doesn't mean they wouldn't like her to be there for such a big occasion. It would certainly be a good example of reconcilliation and unity IMO. ?

She was, in fact in the past, close to Charles. And we do not know of their relationship other than it clearly isn’t horrible. I remember seeing them share giggles during Eugenies wedding—she was seated right in front of Charles.

Nevertheless she clearly IS a member of the BRF (extended or whatever you want to use to distinguish). She’s literally listed here https://www.royal.uk/sites/default/files/media/annex_d_-_royal_family_14.pdf

Diana was still a member of the royal family after her divorce.

That's all very true, although the fact that the girls are grown up doesn't mean they wouldn't like her to be there for such a big occasion. It would certainly be a good example of reconcilliation and unity IMO. ?

You’d think at their old ages now a reconciliation, but alas.

She is divorced therefore I don't know why she is on the list of BRF members. Mark Phillips isn't.

They aren’t children and they can always see their mother wherever and whenever they want to. It’s just not necessary for her to be there. She’s travelling anyways so she won’t be there

She was, in fact in the past, close to Charles. And we do not know of their relationship other than it clearly isn’t horrible. I remember seeing them share giggles during Eugenies wedding—she was seated right in front of Charles.

Nevertheless she clearly IS a member of the BRF (extended or whatever you want to use to distinguish). She’s literally listed here https://www.royal.uk/sites/default/files/media/annex_d_-_royal_family_14.pdf

Diana’s case was different because she was mother to the main line heirs, Sarah’s children weren’t children of the heir. The situation at Eugenie’s wedding can be interpreted as simply being cordial and polite and of course he knows Sarah well, but doesn’t mean he’s best friends with her and that little moment would merit an invite.

Diana’s case was different because she was mother to the main line heirs, Sarah’s children weren’t children of the heir. The situation at Eugenie’s wedding can be interpreted as simply being cordial and polite and of course he knows Sarah well, but doesn’t mean he’s best friends with her and that little moment would merit an invite.

Nevertheless, surely we can take the word from the palace? She right there on the list.

BBC announces first performers for #CoronationConcert   .

Artists including Take That, Lionel Richie, Katy Perry, Andrea Bocelli, Sir Bryn Terfel, Freya Ridings and Alexis French will grace the stage in the grounds of Windsor Castle on Sunday 7 May.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/mediacentre/b...nces-first-performers-for-coronation-concert/

I will not say what I think about most of those performers. :whistling: But as an Opera geek, I'm delighted to see Sir Bryn Terfel -who is a treasure for the UK and the world- being listed.

Last edited:
It was interesting to learn that the coronation ring dates back to 1831.
I would have thought the ring would have been a lot older.
http://www.people.com/royals/queen-elizabeth-coronation-fun-facts-1953-crowning-ceremony

Unfortunately, most of the crown regalia was broken up, sold, or melted down by Cromwell. The spoon used in the anointing dates from the 12th century or thereabouts, and a few of the gemstones (Black Prince's "ruby,' Edward the Confessor's sapphire, earrings supposedly from QEI) were returned after the restoration, but most of it was re-created for Charles II. The Imperial State Crown was actually made in 1937, but modeled after Queen Victoria's.

It's really sad that the medieval crowns of Edward the Confessor and his wife Queen Edith were stripped of their gems and melted down. What a loss to history...

Last edited:
Unfortunately, most of the crown regalia was broken up, sold, or melted down by Cromwell. The spoon used in the anointing dates from the 12th century or thereabouts, and a few of the gemstones (Black Prince's "ruby,' Edward the Confessor's sapphire, earrings supposedly from QEI) were returned after the restoration, but most of it was re-created for Charles II. The Imperial State Crown was actually made in 1937, but modeled after Queen Victoria's.

It's really sad that the medieval crowns of Edward the Confessor and his wife Queen Edith were stripped of their gems and melted down. What a loss to history...

That really is a terrible historical loss.

Coronation row over hundreds of peers forbidden from wearing robes (archive)

"The only guests at the coronation who will be allowed to wear scarlet are sitting members of the House of Lords, who will be allowed to wear their parliamentary robes - worn at the State opening of Parliament every year - if they want to.

Some senior peers who have been given ceremonial roles in the service - performed by their families at successive coronations - may be allowed to wear their coronation robes."

On the anointing:

"Royal sources said a means has been found to ensure the moment remains private, but it will not be performed under a canopy as it was for his late mother’s coronation, it is understood."

There was an article in another paper a while back saying that some kind of screen would be held up around the King.

Last edited:
Does anyone know how to watch coronation in Australia- will it air on free to air?? Also what time will it be in Australia when the coronation occurs

Also will Monaco and Liechtenstein send members of their royal families to attend and who will they select to attend?? Will non reigning - such as Maria of Russia get to attend??

Last edited:
Most Britons not really very interested in the forthcoming Coronation. YouGov poll taken this month. The proportion of interest goes down quite substantially with young Britons but even over 60s aren’t that enthused.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/british-yougov-coronation-meghan-charles-b2319742.html

https://www.thenational.scot/news/2...tion-britons-not-interested-yougov-poll-says/

This reminds me of the remarks that many in the UK were making prior to the 2012 Summer Olympic games Opening Ceremony. Then in the days before the Games opened, there was an enthusiastic response from the public. I am curious to see if there will be a repeat when it comes to the Coronation.

Does anyone know how to watch coronation in Australia- will it air on free to air?? Also what time will it be in Australia when the coronation occurs

No idea about channels yet but it will be 8.00 p.m. Saturday night here, on the east coast.

It will thus be clashing with the NRL and AFL games that night which both Channels 7 and 9 are heavily committed to showing. The NRL will really want their games on Channel 9's main channel as it is 'magic round' which has been heavily promoted as the biggest round of the NRL season.

I will be recording Sky News (Foxtel) as I have to go out that evening.

I was at a meeting today and the only thing that was agreed was 'no interested' 'won't be watching' and 'better not put that on instead of the football'.

At the very minimum, it will be available on Sky News' YT channel live.

I dont think she was ever all that close to Charles, I think he liked her at first but soon saw her as a silly woman and one who encouraged Diana in silly behaviour. He might be happy enough to see her at some events but not at his Coronation..She has had a connection with Epstein as well. Just because she and Diana were by courtesy treated as members of the extended family does not mean that they would necessarily be invited to all events.
I think because the queen had an affection for her, and circumstances meant that at the end of the queen's life Sarah and Andrew were living nearby, and supporting the queen as she got weaker, Sarah has had a reconciliation with the family and has been lucky in that. but tehre are limits,

Last edited:

Channels 2, 7, 9, 10 and SBS will show it on one of their minor channels. Absolutely certain they will broadcast it, like they did for all other major Royal events.

Channels 2, 7, 9, 10 and SBS will show it on one of their minor channels. Absolutely certain they will broadcast it, like they did for all other major Royal events.

It is 2023. It is internet. No one relies on aerial or cable broadcasters. I just go straight to the source: the BBC. No idiotic newsreels under in the screen, no advertising blocks.

It is 2023. It is internet. No one relies on aerial or cable broadcasters. I just go straight to the source: the BBC. No idiotic newsreels under in the screen, no advertising blocks.

You need to understand we are geoblocked A LOT here, and there are still a good portion of the population who wouldn't know what a VPN is. Australian internet is miles behind the rest of the world and we pay way too much for high speed internet

SBS rarely shows any royal events.

In the past the other four have had the events on their main channel but with it clashing with the football and the millions the channels have paid for the rights to show the football and the expectation of the sports to be shown on the main channel in prime time I am not sue if 7 or 9 will show it at all.

So far no network has announced that they will be covering it (compared to the Jubilee when at least three of them were already talking about their teams this far out).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom