Catherine Middleton's Wedding Tiara

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I read in one of the collectible magazines that the Crown is having a new one commissioned for Catherine. I'll try to find the magazine at home and list it.

i am not really sure about how her dress was made, is the train seperate or is it a really long skirt?

I don't think that there's been any news released about that, but it could have been loaned to Catherine for her lifetime. If this becomes the tiara we see again and again, then this is probably the case.

I realize the tiara is on loan from the Queen, but for how long?

The more I see it, the more I dislike the tiara and understand why so many BRF women wear it then dump it.

XeniaCasaraghi said:
The more I see it, the more I dislike the tiara and understand why so many BRF women wear it then dump it.

See, and the more I see it, the more I like it.

I think the scroll tiara is gorgeous, but what really sold me was its' simplicity. This piece of jewelry proves that sometimes less is more.

I think the scroll tiara is gorgeous, but what really sold me was its' simplicity. This piece of jewelry proves that sometimes less is more.

Yes. A fringe tiara or another one too big would not go well with the lace on the top part of the dress.

Let's think about Victoria, Mary, Maxima, they used bigger tiaras, but the design of the wedding gown, was clean so you didn't need to worry about that. Or even, in Victoria's case, the dress was simple probably because the tiara had already so much going on that anything else would've made it look tacky.

Catherine's hairdresser confirmed on a interview (I'm looking it for online to post the link) that she did considered not using any, so in that matter alone, I'm so glad she changed her mind. Also He said The Queen offered her 3 different pieces to choose and then she picked the Scroll.

After reading that, one wonders which were the 3 tiaras HM let Catherine choose from...

I adore Catherine's tiara.it was very modest ,but there was something special in it.

I think the tiara would look good on Harry's wife or the York girls.But not on Kate.I think the Fringe tiara would look good on her.

The Fringe Tiara is beautiful, but I honestly think it would have been too much for the kind of dress Kate went with. I understand why she went with the Halo Tiara, I just think there had to have been something better for her. If she wore the Fringe Tiara I would hope she would have worn her hair a different way. BTW is the Fringe Tiara perhaps to "high" for Kate's status? She's the wife of the heir's heir, so maybe it wasn't suited to her station.

Last edited:
I agree the diamond Fringe Tiara is beatiful and will still look lovely on Kate when the right time comes. I think her choice of the Cartier Halo Tiara for her wedding was lovely and also a statement that she does not need to be a "glitzy" royal. I think she wants to be loved and admired for who she is and not by "over the top" jewel attire some royals feel they need. The couples' first official visit to Canada has proved that Kate can still be "tops" by opting for a classic natural look.

I fail to understand where the idea originated that the Halo is in some way "insignificant" and therefore not grand enough for Catherine.

Reality check. Catherine is the wife of the heir's heir, and as such her public exposure is less than that of the women who previously wore the Halo, namely the Queen Mother, the Queen, Princess Margaret and Princess Anne.

The halo looked great on Catherine and the addition of the acorn earrings was inspired. She obviously likes it and I think we will see her wearing it for the foreseeable future.

Let's not forget that the heir's wife has only two royal tiara's, as indeed does the Crown Princess of Denmark!

I'm looking at a few tiaras on a website, and the only one I liked was Queen Victoria's Diamond*Sapphire Tiara; that is the only other one I would have liked to see Kate in. Don't know if Kate would be allowed to wear it though.

I agree, Queen Victoria's diamond and sapphire tiara is a very beautiful piece and suitably elegant for a young royal, like Kate, to wear. The Cartier Halo tiara is also very dainty and suits Kate very well indeed. One needs to bear in mind that most of these tiaras in the Winsor vault and other royal vaults are far too cumbersome and oversized to look suitably elegant in todays fashion. A lot of royals who still choose the large tiaras can look quite ridiculous. HM has always choosen her tiaras and jewel attire very well.

Last edited:
I'm looking at a few tiaras on a website, and the only one I liked was Queen Victoria's Diamond*Sapphire Tiara; that is the only other one I would have liked to see Kate in. Don't know if Kate would be allowed to wear it though.

Is that the one that belongs to the Harewoods?

I read on a blog that Prince Albert designed the Diamond and Sapphire Tiara. Just another reason for me to love that man.

:previous: I think it must be at least on a long loan or it would not have been worth her parents having her complimemtary matching diamond earrings commissioned for her to wear with it on her wedding day.

I know she's a wife to an heir to an heir but,she is going to be Queen one day!And I feel she should have had a grander tiara.But,I think the Scroll spared her a headache!

Catherine is never pictured with a lot of jewelery. I think the tiara suited her perfectly. She will have plenty of time to acclimate to the more elaborate tiaras.

Kate's wedding tiara looked beautiful on her, she looked like a princess before she was officially one:) except I only wonder how come I haven't seen it before.

As has been stated many times before the Halo Tiara fit Catherine's personality as well as her theme for her wedding day. Catherine didn't want big grand and fussy; she clearly wanted simple elegance and beauty which is probably why she settled on the Halo Tiara.
A lot of comments have been about the Fringe Tiara, I might be wrong, but wouldn't a tiara like that be better suited for a bride who is not wearing the veil over her face? The way it is designed just immediately makes me think that there would always been a fear that it would rip the veil.
Just to clarify, the tiara that Kate wore has the names: Scroll/Halo/Cartier Tiara; all three are correct?

Last edited:
Kate's wedding tiara looked beautiful on her, she looked like a princess before she was officially one:) except I only wonder how come I haven't seen it before.

This Cartier Halo tiara was purchased by The Duke of York (later King George VI) for his Duchess (The Queen Mother) three weeks before he succeeded his brother as King. The tiara was then borrowed by Princess Margaret before the Queen gave Margaret the Persian Turquoise Tiara. The tiara was afterwards presented to Princess Elizabeth (later Queen Elizabeth II), by her mother on the occasion of her 18th birthday. Queen Elizabeth later lent the tiara to her Princess Anne before she received the Greek Meander Tiara from her mother in 1972. The tiara was then lent to Kate for her wedding day.

Because of the tiara's modesty, I do not think it has always been a popular piece in royal vault. However, it's smaller size is what makes this tiara truely equisite if worn by the right person on the right occasion. I think Kate's wedding day is proof of this.

Last edited:
Thank you for the background information. I know it's not a grand piece, but from all tiaras I have seen, this one is one of my favorites, probably due to its' lack of grandeur.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ah yes,the halo Cartier tiara except to me I haven't see it on another British royal except Catherine middleton as she became HRH the duchess of cambridge.

I just think for a statuesque lady of nearly 30, a larger tiara would have been more suitable. Everyone calls her a 'young bride', but she is not.

You are, of course, correct. Catherine is a new bride, not a young bride. However, the Halo Scroll is a perfect starter tiara for Catherine. After all, she has yet to attend a "tiara" event so any larger "significant" tiara would be a waste at this time.

I just think for a statuesque lady of nearly 30, a larger tiara would have been more suitable. Everyone calls her a 'young bride', but she is not.

You are, of course, correct. Catherine is a new bride, not a young bride. However, the Halo Scroll is a perfect starter tiara for Catherine. After all, she has yet to attend a "tiara" event so any larger "significant" tiara would be a waste at this time.

I'm going to be a bride for the first time this year and I'm 44. So, Kate is most definitely a young bride.

Good grief, do you really need to get nit picky about what age constitutes a young bride in this day and age.

Back
Top Bottom