Angela Kelly: the Queen's Confidante, Curator, Fixer and Minder

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Warren

Administrator in Memoriam
City
Sydney
Country
Australia
As the role of Angela Kelly expands and her closeness to HM becomes more apparent, it's timely to give her her own thread.
This has been prompted by the following MailOnline article which, ignoring the great hot water bottle incident of 2014, details the rise and rise of Ms Kelly within the royal hierarchy, the special position she now holds, and the unique relationship that has developed between her and the Queen.

The Queen's missing hot water bottle and why knives are out for her minder | Mail Online
9 May 2014
The Queen's missing hot water bottle and why knives are out for her minder:
Scouse docker's daughter's growing power has sparked a mutiny below stairs

AngelaKelly.jpg

Angela Kelly
Personal Assistant and Senior Dresser to Her Majesty The Queen
Curator to the Queen for Jewellery, Insignia and Wardrobe
Lieutenant of the Royal Victorian Order
This image forms a heavily cropped portion of a much larger photograph.

Angela Kelly is the Queen’s personal assistant and senior dresser. She also holds the grandiose title Curator to the Queen for ‘Jewellery, Insignia and Wardrobe’. These days, though, she is much more than that.

The close relationship she has developed with the monarch in recent years has now evolved even further, giving her extraordinary influence over who is chosen to work closely with the Queen, and — just as importantly — who is not. ‘Angela’s beady eye is on everything that is done for Her Majesty, making sure everything is perfect,’ says one below-stairs figure.

At 88, the Queen is in remarkably good health but she does like things around her to be settled. ‘Angela sees it as her job to make sure everything runs like clockwork — and that includes the people who take care of Her Majesty,’ says an aide. Together with the Queen’s long-serving page, Paul Whybrew, Ms Kelly is among a handful of domestic staff who have been promoted to the royal household.

Not long ago Mrs Kelly, who has transformed the Queen’s wardrobe to be full of fashionable pastel shades and elegantly cut dresses and skirt suits, gave a rare public insight into her relationship with the Queen. In an unprecedented interview, sanctioned by Buckingham Palace, she said that the two of them discuss ‘anything and everything’. ‘We are two typical women,’ she said. ‘We discuss clothes, make-up and jewellery.’She confided: ‘We have a lot of fun together. The Queen has a wicked sense of humour and is a great mimic. She can do all accents — including mine.’

In the six years since she made those candid remarks, her position as the Queen’s gatekeeper and confidante has only strengthened. Often, when at Windsor, the Queen will say she is going out for a walk. Staff know that this means she will be heading in the direction of Frogmore, where Angela, a mother and grandmother, lives alone in a grace and favour home. ‘They like to chat — and they do it often,’ says a courtier.

Such is the trust the Queen has in her that Angela was even permitted to write a book about her — albeit one that concentrated on her dresses. Profits from the book, Dressing The Queen: The Jubilee Wardrobe, went to charity.

To the Queen Angela can do no wrong. No one has forgotten the time when the Queen was trying on some new clothes in front of a mirror and, turning to her dresser, said with a smile: ‘We could be sisters.’ There was more in that comment than the mere fact that they are of similar height and build.

There is a genuine warmth between the two women that has grown into companionship.

‘There is no doubt that the Queen depends on her,’ says the courtier. ‘She likes the fact that Angela irons out problems — and that she’s very good at picking up gossip which HM loves to hear. Angela goes to the odd showbiz party and always reports back what she’s picked up. The Queen loves that. ‘Years ago, Princess Margaret kept her abreast of such things. Now Angela does.’

All in all, it’s a remarkable story for someone who arrived in royal service by chance. In 1992, she was housekeeper to the then British Ambassador to Germany, and a former driver with the Women’s Royal Army Corps. When the Queen and Prince Philip came to stay during an official visit to Berlin, they began chatting to Mrs Kelly, who spoke of her plans to return to Britain. Not long afterwards, she received a call offering her a job at the Palace. She started in 1993. Three years later, she was senior dresser, and in 2001 became the Queen’s first ever personal assistant. Today, the woman who grew up in a council flat and whose father was a gatekeeper and crane driver at Liverpool docks, is solely responsible for how the Queen looks in public, organising her wardrobe and liaising with dressmakers, and also, increasingly, designing her clothes as well. She even made the christening robe used for Prince George’s baptism last year.

For the Queen, Angela is a problem solver.’ So it was to Angela that she dispatched the Duchess of Cambridge ahead of her and William’s hugely successful trip to Australia and New Zealand, to provide her granddaughter-in-law with some jewellery. ‘Angela gave Kate all the right things to wear,’ an aide says. ‘The Queen would have done that herself once, but now she trusts Angela to make the right decisions.

We later heard that Kate had to sign for the jewels she borrowed.’

Friends of the Queen have suggested that Mrs Kelly’s rise coincided with the loss of the two most important women in HM’s life: her mother and sister Margaret. Angela denied this, insisting in her 2007 interview that theirs is ‘just a working relationship — but a close one’.

This year marks Angela Kelly's 21st anniversary working for the Queen. She’s now 61 and fellow staff have been pondering how long she will continue. Perhaps there is a clue in that interview. ‘I hope the Queen and I grow old together,’ she declared.

Older people become attached to people close to them and they sometimes miss what's going on around them. It's a real shame that the Queen has allowed Angela Kelly to treat people the way she does and make so many of the Queen's long-time employees unhappy. Pretty soon, the only employees the Queen will have will be those Angela Kelly want around. I have a feeling this will not end well. Ms. Kelly sounds like a nasty piece of work.

Older people become attached to people close to them and they sometimes miss what's going on around them. It's a real shame that the Queen has allowed Angela Kelly to treat people the way she does and make so many of the Queen's long-time employees unhappy. Pretty soon, the only employees the Queen will have will be those Angela Kelly want around. I have a feeling this will not end well. Ms. Kelly sounds like a nasty piece of work.

Can I just say - for balance sake - that you cannot trust what is written in the Daily Mail. They are partisan and divisive. They like to build someone up and then pull them down.

Richard Kay is particular biased against the Queen and people working in BP

More importantly this is just one side of the story. Dismissing her as "a nasty piece of work" on the basis of this article is unfair as it is based on hearsay.

It is also contradictory that the DM think that the Queen is old/naive enough to be taken in by Ms Kelly but also smart/astute enough to be Monarch.

On a personal basis - I think the article is spiteful and snobbish

Richard Kay is a nasty piece of work.

Often people who rise up through the ranks to become the head honcho's confidante can spark a lot of envy and jealousy. However, that does sound like an extremely biased article to me and there are always two sides to every story.

This on the basis of a Daily Mail hatchet job!

Richard Kay is a nasty piece of work.
Good grief, I thought he'd died or retired or something. Alas it seems he is still haunting the rag and has an apprentice who, since he doesn't mind his name on a hatchet job standing boldy beside Richard Kay, I can only imagine that Kay is in ecstacy at having shaped an aspiring mini-me called Geoffrey Levy.

Often people who rise up through the ranks to become the head honcho's confidante can spark a lot of envy and jealousy. However, that does sound like an extremely biased article to me and there are always two sides to every story.
Yes, the truth and the Daily Mail. Unfortunately a lot of people just read the Mail.:bang:

Yes, the truth and the Daily Mail. Unfortunately a lot of people just read the Mail.:bang:

I guess the DM's philosophy is that the truth should never get in the way of a good story. ;) I'll sit this one out, I think.

I'm not British and I don't read the Daily Mail. But from reading the article re-published here and elsewhere from the Daily Mail, I would think if people who have been with the Queen for many years all of a sudden resign their positions, there must be a good reason and it sounds as if Ms. Kelly is the reason behind these resignations. I have no idea what the truth is and I don't really care. I was just commenting. I have no wish to argue or even discuss the matter since none of this has anything to do with me.

my mum is the queens milliner and works with Angela

Wow, if she is, and the palace finds out you're posting here, your mum will get fired. So...hoping this isn't true.

Wow, if she is, and the palace finds out you're posting here, your mum will get fired. So...hoping this isn't true.

I don't think that would happen, I am sure clairegee's mum is a very discrete person and very professional, so will not talk about her job much even to her daughter.

That would probably depend on what claregee says on this site as well as what contracts her mother has signed regarding her job.

If she's not posting private information regarding the Queen or her family or attacking them in some way (neither of which she's done) and the contract that her mother has signed doesn't include a stipulation saying that she and her family cannot participate on royalty related forums or discuss the family in any form then there's no grounds for her mother to be fired.

Rather unfortunate that she was made to feel unwelcome over such an innocuous post.

My guess would be that she deleted it or had the mods delete it out of fear for her mother's job.

hi i thought id delete as i know mums sworn to secrecy and does not tell me many things as not allowed im just very proud of my mum im very lucky as ive got to meet he queen and love telling people what my mum does x

hi i thought id delete as i know mums sworn to secrecy and does not tell me many things as not allowed im just very proud of my mum im very lucky as ive got to meet he queen and love telling people what my mum does x

Well, I don't think you needed to delete your post as there was nothing wrong with telling us what your mum does for a living. You should be very proud of your mum and I have to say I think your mum does a wonderful job as the Queen always looks very beautiful in her lovely hats! You have a very clever mum, with a great skill!
I hope you enjoy The Royal Forums! :flowers:

That's an amazing connection, Clairegee; of course you're proud of your mom and there's no reason why you shouldn't share this with others. Not only is she a very creative and talented lady, as well as discreet, but she has one of the most famous people in the world wear her lovely creations. And welcome to the forums as well!

Last edited:

You should be quite proud, your mum does beautiful work and she's clearly very talented.

Thank you for sharing your pride in her here! (And I think your post was just fine, there was nothing controversial or personal there)

Hi Clairegee. I will add my voice to those who saw nothing wrong in your post.

You should be proud of your mum because she is clearly very talented. The Queen has beautiful hats that always look elegant and absolutely appropriate for the occasion.

I hope you continue to be a part of these forums.

Welcome to the Royal Forums Clairgee! I think you've probably realized by now that you've hit on a royalty message board that is not only fun and informative but also one that doesn't pander to gossip, respects and knows about copyright violations as well as confidentiality agreements and is based on factual more so than fictional information (well sometimes reposts of articles the Daily Mail can be quite laughable though).

HM has always been known for her hats and in my opinion, one thing I've really enjoyed about seeing photos of her in recent years is that her hats are totally gorgeous, unique and suit HM to perfection.

You should be very very proud of your mother and it is something that will stay with you for a lifetime and what a tale to tell your grandchildren!

My grandmother use to wear hats, my wife wears them occasionally, I wear then frequently. We owned a dept store. That is the first thing I look at in any picture of QE2. They are great. Living in the south, one of the things I like most (and I mean this with NO disrespect) is the older black ladies that still wear hats to Easter Sunday mass. Some of the younger ladies do, but not the same. The only hat QE2 ever wore that I absolutely hate is shown fairly frequently. It is that yellow hat she wore for PC's ceremony to become the PoW. It may have been the style for about 15 sec at the time, but it is not a good look. Those tilted top, mad hatter type hats she wears now are just fantastic, and so age appropriate, just like the rest of her outfits.

Clairgee, I too love your mum's work. She does a fabulous job. I particularly like that her hats tend to be exactly the same color as the outfit Her Majesty is wearing. Does your mum dye material to match her outfits exactly or does your mum have super special access to material that is the same color used to make Her Majesty's dresses?

Padams, I agree with you regarding that yellow hat. I also don't like the blue one once wore that blue things hanging off it. I think that hat was from the 70's. I hope your mum did not make that one Clairgee.

P.S. :welcome:

Clairgee, just wanted to point out that I wasn't trying to make you feel unwelcome, and so if I've given that impression, I truly, truly apologize.

I am also a huge fan of your mom's work!

Clairgee: A very hearty welcome here, and you have a wonderful story to tell your children/grandchildren later in life. Being a hat lady, and I am not in the process of storing winter hats and pulling out spring and summer hats and soon I will have to either give away hats or sell some, some are over 50 years old and I just love them all.

I go to Royal Hats Blog and there each day that Queen Elizabeth is out and about, it shows her hats and talks about her hats. I have often wondered over the decades what does she do with all these hats? If she keeps them, she will or already has an extra castle for just storing the hats......lololololo. She must have thousands of hats by now...........and I can't honestly remember a bad one in the group. Your mum is so talented and what an artist. You must be very proud of her and you must have some of the most beautiful hats in the world........what a great tradition to continue, making hats and for a royal family.............absolutely wonderful.

I don’t know whether this is the right thread to post this piece in, but ….

Angela Kelly, the late Queen?s dresser for decades and her friend, has been forced to vacate her grace and favour home on the Windsor estate. Her work phone was also cut off after her employer?s death, apparently. King Charles not a fan?

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...hand-woman-Angela-Kelly-cut-King-Charles.html

I think Ms Kelly was quite an arrogant woman who threw her weight around and was, from all I?ve read, not greatly liked by other members of the Queen?s family and the staff. Nevertheless, what happened to her was a bit of a kick in the posterior after years of loyal service to the sovereign.

Last edited:
I don’t know whether this is the right thread to post this piece in, but ….

Angela Kelly, the late Queen?s dresser for decades and her friend, has been forced to vacate her grace and favour home on the Windsor estate. Her work phone was also cut off after her employer?s death, apparently. King Charles not a fan?

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...hand-woman-Angela-Kelly-cut-King-Charles.html

I think Ms Kelly was quite an arrogant woman who threw her weight around and was, from all I?ve read, not greatly liked by other members of the Queen?s family and the staff. Nevertheless, what happened to her was a bit of a kick in the posterior after years of loyal service to the sovereign.

It was reported tonight that King Charles has bought her a house that is closer to her family:
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail...ate-Queens-dresser-Angela-Kelly-new-home.html

The house will revert to the Crown when she passes away

It has been revealed, leaked whatever you want to call it that the house that Angela Kelly is moving to in Yorkshire was provided by the King to honour his mothers wishes. From what I read it is closer to her family, as for the mobile phone, why would she require a mobile phone supplied by the palace when she no longer works for them. There is nothing unusual in an employee losing a tied home and anything related to the job once they are no longer employed. It would appear that Angela has been given a reasonable amount of time to relocate.

There was also an odd series of stories going around when the demise honours came out, claiming that it was a snub that she wasn't made a dame. Her predecessor, the Queen's beloved Bobo, certainly wasn't ever a dame and was possibly only ever an LVO (compared to Ms Kelly's CVO).

Back
Top Bottom