Charles III: New King. New Court. The Inside Story

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
You wonder what will be true and what will be their truth.
I have come to believe that any report of a verbal conversation, such as that describing how she felt about her grandson naming her greatgrandchild after her affectionate nickname and how she was devasted by it is best taken with a large jar of salt.

There is, as per usual, a dearth of reputable sources and yet Harry and Meghan have been mercilessly lambasted, harangued and possibly even libelled. I put this virtual bombardment of nasty headlines down to Harry's relationship with the legacy media.

I was listening to the recent judgement in his favour and the commentator opined that from the moment he started down this path against the media along with many, many others, the wrath of the media would become unrelentingly negative, incurring reporting on him in much the same as one would an axe murderer. The fact there are two more cases with one having as many as fifty plaintiffs yet to come, smacks of playback. And the "Lillibet" incident reflects that.

King Charles is on his way and should be here later today! ?

I am happy to share chapter structure, pertinent points (and my thoughts thereon) as and when - although whether they will be of the calibre of HRH Hermione's splendid recaps is open to debate! I will also be taking a short holiday starting Sunday and will not have access to my laptop for a few days, but I am more than willing to make a start ?

King Charles is on his way and should be here later today! ?

I am happy to share chapter structure, pertinent points (and my thoughts thereon) as and when - although whether they will be of the calibre of HRH Hermione's splendid recaps is open to debate! I will also be taking a short holiday starting Sunday and will not have access to my laptop for a few days, but I am more than willing to make a start ?

Likewise, but as I have been unwell the last few days I might just be on the sofa with the King for the remainder of the week.

Likewise, but as I have been unwell the last few days I might just be on the sofa with the King for the remainder of the week.

Get well soon! :flowers:

Unfortunately I've now been informed the book is not coming until next week :sad: never mind! Perhaps it has sold so many copies they've run out of stock ?

Get well soon! :flowers:

Unfortunately I've now been informed the book is not coming until next week :sad: never mind! Perhaps it has sold so many copies they've run out of stock ?

I am the same, received an e mail earlier today, but disappointed but like you not sure if over subscribed or just a hitch somewhere.

I am sorry that your copies are arriving late Hall Girl and shady lady.

I am five chapters into this book and so far, it’s great. It’s such a relief after the last few I’ve read to get to something properly sourced that focuses more on the interesting historical and ceremonial aspects of the monarchy rather than the gossip. I especially love the parts where the Princess Royal is interviewed. Getting her perspective on the events around her mother’s passing and her brother’s reign make this a worthy read.

Although I’m enjoying the book and the “insider perspective”, it does have a distinctly uncritical feel, to my way of thinking.

Although I’m enjoying the book and the “insider perspective”, it does have a distinctly uncritical feel, to my way of thinking.

I agree, but I’m ok with that. I don’t think everything ever written about monarchy should have to include arguments against the institution for balance.

Listening to it. It is just a historical record. Very positive. Brushes the negatives.

I am a bit tired of the Queens funeral.

I agree, but I’m ok with that. I don’t think everything ever written about monarchy should have to include arguments against the institution for balance.

There’s a difference between “arguments against the institution” versus rosy character portraits that if done by someone of Scobie-level talent would invite great scorn and skepticism. Even when things like Charles’s temper and whingeing are mentioned, it’s not done in a negative or critical sense.

It’s nice to read a positive, cheerful work with nothing bad to say about anyone on one hand; on the other, it can come off as faintly anodyne and hagiographic compared to other cracks at the subject.

There’s a difference between “arguments against the institution” versus rosy character portraits that if done by someone of Scobie-level talent would invite great scorn and skepticism. Even when things like Charles’s temper and whingeing are mentioned, it’s not done in a negative or critical sense.

It’s nice to read a positive, cheerful work with nothing bad to say about anyone on one hand; on the other, it can come off as faintly anodyne and hagiographic compared to other cracks at the subject.
What critical things do you think it should be addressing? People who know of him already know about his temper, his demanding ways, etc. some criticisms have been over exaggerated or twisted in books by authors so that’s old news. The things that people already know have been regurgitated and told in many ways, so there’s no need over analyse or go into much depth about that.

I suppose it depends on perspective. I think the way Charles’s temper is being described is fairly close to how Philip’s was always described. It’s acknowledged as a characteristic, but not one that really causes many problems and doesn’t impede his ability to work. Given that the last Scobie book had an entire chapter where Charles being frustrated with pens revealed deep character flaws, I’m fine with seeing Charles being frustrated by pens treated as a fairly harmless character quirk.

My book has now arrived, I hope to get in to it this weekend, Glad to compare notes with anybody who has read it.

So I have read two chapters of the book so far, focusing on Charles and then Camilla. I have to say the book is a very pleasant read. It's written in a very mature, non-sensational style. I found the chapter on Camilla particularly insightful. She comes across as very down to earth and friendly - someone you'd enjoy a chat with. Looking forward to the next chapter (London Bridge) although it will obviously be a sad read in places.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom