Charles III: New King. New Court. The Inside Story

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thanks for the excerpt, tommy100.

'She had come to realise that the medical prognosis meant she was not going to emulate her mother and reach 100, so she had been determined to make the most of that [final] year,' says one friend.

'She made sure she had all the family up over the summer, so that the young ones in particular would always be left with happy memories of her.'

This is so poignant, especially when I think of the photo Kate shared on HLM's birthday last year, showing her with her great grandchildren. I'm so glad the children got to spend that time with her and will always have those memories and pictures to remember her by. I imagine it had to be a really emotional time for the adults as well, knowing, as The Queen did, that her time was limited, even if they couldn't have known she'd pass away a couple of short months later. Seeing the family together at Christmas and Mike's podcast with Anne, William, and Kate has shown me how close the family is and how much fun they have together. I hope having them all there with her filled The Queen's last summer at Balmoral with happiness.
With so much political upheaval in the summer of 2022, there were very serious government concerns about possible civil disorder on Charles's accession as King.

'We had identified in our integrated review [that] when you transition to a new sovereign, it's a moment of peril for the country,' admits Penny Mordaunt, Leader of the Commons and Lord President of the (Privy) Council.
This quote drives home why it's a good thing that, at least for the early days, Charles's reign doesn't look much different from his mother's. There will be time for modernizing things, if Charles chooses to do so, but in those early months especially, I think the country needed and appreciated the stability the monarchy brings in times of political change and crisis.

more from the book, this time about how those military personnel involved in HLM's funeral had to be tracked down all around the world

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...zabeth-II-funeral-daughter-wedding-corfu.html

and how coaches were apparently ditched for the coronation after some world leaders were annoyed at having to use coaches at HLM's funeral

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...ns-funeral.html?ico=topics_pagination_desktop

and how the one full run through of the Queen's funeral didn't go to plan
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...sal-errors.html?ico=topics_pagination_desktop

Last edited:
Not sure how this relates to the topic of the Queen’s death.

I missed the death of my parent because I had taken a short walk to clear my head after being at the bedside for many hours. I was terribly upset to have been absent and still feel guilt many years later. I really hope this doesn’t become a topic of news and even ridicule.

When the Queen passed away, I was so saddened, like she's been part of our lives forever around the planet. And then I remembered there was a forum I used to post a lot back in 2006 to 2007, when I stopped because of lack of time at night.

Her passing brought me back home, to the Royal Forums (thanks Marengo for helping me restore my id!) and being here, chatting about it felt good. Like your feelings are shared by people around the world because in some way, Queen Elizabeth reminded us of our own relatives from her generation. I remember her year of birth because my grandmother, who raised me, told me it was 1926 and the same year my mother and Marylin Monroe (no relation!) were born.

The week the queen passed away we all saw the last photographs of her meeting with the new prime minister. I saw her hands and noticed the same circulation problem I remember from when my grandmother passed away in 1986.

So, Elly C, sharing our experiences and how they relate to the loss of Queen Elizabeth is not going to be a topic of ridicule to anyone. Trust me, the Queen was in many ways the world's grandmother everybody related to because we saw in her and her life a lot of own elderly relatives that are also long gone.

I appreciate that other posters have shared their personal experiences with losing a loved one. My experience was similar. My husband and I had been sitting with my father-in-law all day. We left to go to a nearby fast food restaurant planning to get takeout. We were gone a little more than 5 minutes before the assisted living facility called us.

It was similar to our experience when my mother passed away. My siblings and I had been with her all day and virtually everyone left around midnight. A few minutes after most people left (I was cleaning and my sister had gone to bed), the hospice nursing assistant called me in. I was grateful that my sister and I were there, although I am not sure that is what my mother wanted.

I appreciate that other posters have shared their personal experiences with losing a loved one. My experience was similar. My husband and I had been sitting with my father-in-law all day. We left to go to a nearby fast food restaurant planning to get takeout. We were gone a little more than 5 minutes before the assisted living facility called us.

It was similar to our experience when my mother passed away. My siblings and I had been with her all day and virtually everyone left around midnight. A few minutes after most people left (I was cleaning and my sister had gone to bed), the hospice nursing assistant called me in. I was grateful that my sister and I were there, although I am not sure that is what my mother wanted.

The loss of Queen Elizabeth triggered the same reactions around the world, like a dear family member passing away. And we were not even her family so I can only imagine how sad this new book will be to read and find how her own children reacted when told.

This sounds like a very interesting, well researched royal book. I may read this one.

I certainly hope that Charles doesn’t get any negative reaction to not being there when his mother died. They thought she had days not hours. I wouldn’t have expected him- or any single person- to sit by her bed for days on end without a break. The end of a loved one’s life is an exhausting, draining experience, as so many posters have related.

Very interesting that Peter was still there too. I’m sure that was helpful to Anne. And it may have been good for William having a peer there too (one that he got along with).

Lovely to read how intentional QEII was about her last summer at Balmoral. She wanted to be sure everyone had happy memories with her. It makes Catherine’s photo with some of her grandchildren and great grand children more poignant.

Oh Dear Royalist.in.NC I am very sorry. Completely agree.

We were planning "extended" in home Hospice Care for my Mother. She died two days later.
We were told a few weeks. Nobody knows EVER. AND I might add, they, Hospice Staff were wonderful. Just great.
Thank you, Granada, I’m so sorry for your loss as well. You’re right, you just can’t know when it will happen. I’m very glad you experienced the same care from Hospice that we did.

Not sure how this relates to the topic of the Queen’s death.

I missed the death of my parent because I had taken a short walk to clear my head after being at the bedside for many hours. I was terribly upset to have been absent and still feel guilt many years later. I really hope this doesn’t become a topic of news and even ridicule.

I feel for you, the same happened to my mother. She was at my fathers bedside non stop and he passed within 5 minutes she had left. She was terribly upset, almost angry about it.
But I believe, as others have pointed out, that it was no coincidence, that my father chose this very moment because he was able to completely let go when he was on his own. Maybe he feared that my mother getting very upset in the moment of passing would interfere with his need for peace.

Re Charles, perfectly fine. There is no point being non stop at the bedside, especially that the wording was 'rather 2 days not hours'.

Here's a couple more articles relating to the book. Many thanks to Tommy for posting the extracts so far, hope it is ok to post these.

re: Prince Andrew:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...ar-damaging-outside-loop-cast-royal-fold.html

and

re: HLMTQ and her great grand daughter born in 2021

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...ry-Sussexes-Lilibet-aides-ROBERT-HARDMAN.html

I also want to offer my sympathies to everyone posting here who has lost a loved one. I lost my husband in 2018 and my Dad in 2020 (to Covid) so I really appreciate posters sharing their experiences here :flowers:

Last edited:
shady lady. Great articles, thanks for posting.

I'm very sorry for your loses. That's a very hard burden to bear, Husband and Father dead in under two years. Wishing you much comfort and strength.

I really like how Charles' book can be used to set the record straight re Harry without ever giving an official comment.

Agreed, it is very well done! I'm glad the opportunity has been taken to do so.

shady lady. Great articles, thanks for posting.

I'm very sorry for your loses. That's a very hard burden to bear, Husband and Father dead in under two years. Wishing you much comfort and strength.

Aww thanks Granada, and I'm so sorry about your mother.

Yes it was very tough indeed, husband died unexpectedly in Dec 2018 and my Dad in April 2020. Things are getting better now, but your wishes are very much appreciated. Wishing the same to you!

I really like how Charles' book can be used to set the record straight re Harry without ever giving an official comment.

Can it really? Another will write that conflicts and then another. That’s all these books are. That’s why they all churn them out.

Thank you shady lady for posting the latest excerpts. I've found them to be very enjoyable to read over the past few days. They've provided so much detailed information on the activities surrounding the death of HLMQEII and the beginning of KCIII's reign.

Adding my own condolences on the significant losses that you faced in recent years.

Thanks for sharing all these excerpts from the book. A lot of them make sense on how the King is dealing, or tackling family dramas despite the need of the Murdoch-like press to force him to take steps so they can get the nasty headlines they crave and live for.

Re Prince Andrew's article -

'The King will not just cast his brother adrift. He is very fond of his nieces...And at least (Andrew) hasn't been disloyal,' says one source. 'But any return to public life is out of the question. His legal problems are not resolved, the public don't want him, and many people still remember his rudeness last time round...'

Imagine having your own brother, or sister, having this legal dark cloud around that has not produced a day in Court that would lead to an arrest. Where the accuser obtained a payout and still, wants to be on the recent news with questionable facts. King Charles can only have him fade into the background and reason with him for a move, but I doubt he'll evict him by force.

Re second link on H&M claims -
When Archie was named and we found out the couple decided to make a nickname for a proper name, Archibald, as his name on paper I thought this will go downhill very fast. And then, the branding of the name and variations said it all for us.

Then child # 2 gets named after another nickname. The story I recall was the Queen was informed H&M were going to name the girl in her honor. So, you assume the proper grand name Elizabeth of Sussex. But no, they meant another nickname was grabbed that was so private and personal only her husband called her that way. I saw it as a rude intrusion on a personal story, a nickname used in private, now exposed to her as the girl's chosen name.

From the article I believe the Queen was not amused. She though it would be a proper 'Elizabeth' and instead she got Lilibet. And to this day I still remember comments in Twitter saying people though it was preparing her for a future rapper name career as Lil'Bet. :ohmy:

If I read the in-between the lines on the book about these names part, I can only feel sorry for the frustration of Charles and his second son's spouse, because I doubt Harry was the one that could come up with this idea of passing nicknames for proper names. I wonder of any future child # 3 will be name to honor king Charles, but will be named in paper as 'Chuck of Sussex'? :ermm:

Last edited:
Can it really? Another will write that conflicts and then another. That’s all these books are. That’s why they all churn them out.

You wonder what will be true and what will be their truth.

Last edited by a moderator:
Toledo, completely agree.I can't wait for Robert Hardman Book. A treasure trove of gems about QEll and KClll.

But keep in mind The Sussex's have said that they would only have two children, Harry said that in an interview with British Vogue.

Personally, I felt that this most public of Women, QEll, that had EVERY aspect of her life dissected and documented since childhood, had such FEW treasured intimate and cherished personal momentos as her own endearing nickname.... "Lilibet".

It was hers. Hers alone.

She, as a baby could not pronounce Elizabeth, and her beloved Grandfather, George V started the tradition for close family and friends to call her that.

I can see why it would have hurt and perplexed her. Especially after everything that had happened in The Sussex's leaving, fallout, and public accusations against The Family.
If as alleged. And brought up again purposefully in this Book. Makes perfect sense to me.

And this in conjunction with The Sussex claiming that the childs name had QEll full knowledge and support. Poor woman. Even her personal nickname co-opted.

Last edited:
I'm looking forward to reading this book! The excerpts, particularly those about the time of HLMTQ's passing were quite moving, brought all that emotion back as I read it. I do hope that it redresses some of the inaccuracies that have emerged over the past few years.

I wonder of any future child # 3 will be name to honor king Charles, but will be named in paper as 'Chuck of Sussex'? :ermm:

:lol: that did make me laugh!

I'm looking forward to reading this book! The excerpts, particularly those about the time of HLMTQ's passing were quite moving, brought all that emotion back as I read it. I do hope that it redresses some of the inaccuracies that have emerged over the past few years.

So am I, I don't usually buy contemporary royal biography as my big interest is the England in the 1600s, but I have preordered it today and apparently it will arrive on Thursday. I share your hopes that it puts the record straight on a few things, and yes, reading about HLMTQ's passing has been very moving indeed!

IMO, it was quite strange behavior by Charles. Even if the Queen had a few days left, vs. hours, it would be expected to the son, especially a future king, to stick around, instead of going back to his mushrooms. :ermm:

My mother died a few months ago. I definitely understand why Charles left, it's draining to experience and sometimes you have to walk away for a few hours to rebuild your strength and sanity.

My mother died a few months ago. I definitely understand why Charles left, it's draining to experience and sometimes you have to walk away for a few hours to rebuild your strength and sanity.

I'm so sorry about the loss of your mother :flowers:

Bereavement is very draining indeed; it's so important to look after your own health when you are losing a loved one.

As for Charles, I completely agree that he needed to take time out, be it picking mushrooms or taking a walk, it was something he needed to do and we all need to do at these times. Likely Anne did the same.

I have to say I'm excited for this book like I haven't been for awhile. There has been an onslaught in recent years: Revenge, Endgame, Courtiers, Finding Freedom. But this one seems different somehow. Probably because it's got more of a historic tone as opposed to gossip.

I have to say I'm excited for this book like I haven't been for awhile. There has been an onslaught in recent years: Revenge, Endgame, Courtiers, Finding Freedom. But this one seems different somehow. Probably because it's got more of a historic tone as opposed to gossip.

Same here. I borrowed Revenge recently and enjoyed reading it, but I too prefer books that are a historical record of momentous reigns and events. I was tempted to order this one on my kindle but decided to go for the hardback as I've built up a nice little collection of history books although my shelves are getting rather full now!

Moreover, this is a book about a momentous event in my lifetime. Reflecting on yesterday's posts here, I realised that my late husband only saw one monarch in his lifetime. So transitions such as that from HLMTQ to King Charles are huge events that sadly many people will never experience. I heard the news of HLMTQ's passing at a bus stop in Bristol City Centre, and it was truly one of those "where were you?" moments that I will never forget.

I hope it sells well. While it may not sell as well as the more gossipy and/or sensationalist kind, I suspect it will be more of a "keeper" in the long term.

For info, according to amazon (other retailers are available!) the paperback version of Charles III is due to be released in October this year.

26 dollars the Kindle edition!!! Or the jardcover or paperback in October!!!

Looking forward to when this will be available as an E book through my library system. In the meantime, I'll be adding as many of Hardman's previous biographies as I can.

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts on the book when you finish reading it.

So basically is a pragmatic, non intellectual, meat ball head! Well I’m sure he isn’t a meat ball head but I’m not sure that is a very flattering picture of him. Doesn’t read, not a thinker, practical, likes TV. Sounds quite like his grandmother or aunt to be honest. Maybe Anne reads. I’m not sure the Queen did. Nothing wrong with that. Charles almost cultivated this intellectual image around himself. But he isn’t one. True intellectuals are something else entirely and not at all concerned with showing of their knowledge but more on developing wisdom by reflecting what they do know. Nobody in the royals is intellectual. Margaret may have been. She was certainly artistic. William sounds just like them.

Back
Top Bottom