The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 09-15-2015, 12:38 PM
Heir Apparent

We all know the CoE will just change the rules again ...if Charles wants her to have the title, she'll have it.

LaRae

Old 09-15-2015, 01:22 PM
Heir Apparent

Done ever a poll for whom they prefer as king after the Queen?
Charles or William?

Old 09-15-2015, 01:23 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by eya View Post
Done ever a poll for whom they prefer as king after the Queen?
Charles or William?
Completely irrelevant, IMO, though the poll has been done many a time.
Old 09-15-2015, 01:28 PM
Heir Apparent

I do not think at all irrelevant if someone had been kind enough to tell me some results would appreciate.
Old 09-15-2015, 01:31 PM
Majesty

Quote:
I do not think at all irrelevant if someone had been kind enough to tell me some results would appreciate.
It is not relevant as there will be no choice. Barring death or revolution, Charles will be the next King.
Old 09-15-2015, 01:33 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
William would be the last willing to bypass his father because it is gambling with his own throne. What as a young, handsome and dashy George becomes popular and "the public" wants him on the throne? The royals keep wisely deaf for these nonsense polls.
Old 09-15-2015, 01:35 PM
Serene Highness

Polling is all completely irrelevant... Whether People want William instead of Charles or Camilla not to be called queen. I am fairly sure and so are they there will be no storming the gates and calling for the end if the monarchy( except from usual sources naturally) so They are going to do what they want when all is said and done.
Old 09-15-2015, 02:06 PM
Heir Apparent

So whatever poll say Charles when become King give Camilla any titlte he want. Right?
Old 09-15-2015, 02:27 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
So whatever poll say Charles when become King give Camilla any titlte he want. Right?
In principle yes. Queen Elizabeth created her husband a British Prince in his own right. Queen Victoria created her husband with the title "The Prince Consort". So when the King wants Camilla be known with a certain title, he can issue a Letters Patent.
Old 09-15-2015, 02:33 PM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
They could take a bazillion polls but none of them would have any effect on what happens when Charles becomes King. Charles as King will have the prerogative to issue letters patent creating Camilla a princess of the UK in her own right as Queen Elizabeth did for her husband or there are several other speculations on what could happen.

Polls are good to somewhat keep a finger on the pulse of public opinion but they do not have any bearing on the way things are done.
“When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life.”
― John Lennon
Old 09-15-2015, 02:40 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Correct. Polls are not a legal document, just an opinion. Plus, depending on the area in which the poll was taken plus the number of people asked, many different results. Some polls ask 2000 people while others 20,000. Some poll only large city dwellers, others farmer and small villages. Some living in London and south, others Manchester to Scottish boarder. Polls, like anything else, can be made to slant results in favor of a certain position. It would be interesting if the question were put on the voting ballet to be answered the day of nationwide election for entire country. That would be interesting, still not law, but full country's opinion . I personally do not dwell on any poll not asked of over a half million since America has a population of over 330 million. Discounting children, that would give a slight view. The professional poll taker here in America swear that they can interview 200 people across country and accurately give poll results. What a crock. They don't even have a 40% rating record. Plus, I know people that will not truthfully give their preferences to poll takers as they feel it is none of their business. They will even lie on election day when asked who they voted for to exit pollers. To many college voters, it is a game. So don't take to heart that polls are 100% accurate, not so.
Old 09-15-2015, 05:29 PM
Royal Highness

I don't understand but I'm sure you all will be able to tell me, why isn't Phillip King if Camilla will became Queen ? and I hope it's not because a King is higher than a Queen

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community
Old 09-15-2015, 05:36 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by royal rob View Post
I don't understand but I'm sure you all will be able to tell me, why isn't Phillip King if Camilla will became Queen ? and I hope it's not because a King is higher than a Queen

Basically. Phillip of Spain was known as a King because he was King of Spain, not because he was married to Mary.
Old 09-15-2015, 05:40 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by padams2359 View Post
Basically. Phillip of Spain was known as a King because he was King of Spain, not because he was married to Mary.

So why would Camila be Queen just because she is married to King Charles surely that's outdated

Old 09-15-2015, 05:43 PM
Heir Apparent

Per UK common law, wife takes the style and title from husband. The husband doesn't take style and title from wife.

So Kate married William and becomes HRH Duchess of Cambridge. Mark Phillips marries Princess Anne remains Mark Phillips. The Queen's father gave a HRH and the Duke of Edinburgh title to Philip when he married Elizabeth. Elizabeth is the Duchess of Edinburgh still. The Queen later made Philip a Prince of the UK just like Victoria made Albert a Prince of the UK.

Charles can make Camilla a Princess of the UK too but she is also the female equivalent of his titles too. So she is Queen to his King whether she uses it or not. The Govt would have to get involved to legal remove the title.

Old 09-15-2015, 05:46 PM
Courtier

Quote:
So why would Camila be Queen just because she is married to King Charles surely that's outdated

Because it is precedent and all the monarchies in Europe with reigning King have a Queen. Camilla will look like a real outsider as a Princess consort.
Old 09-15-2015, 06:08 PM
Heir Presumptive

I disagree. IMHO Camilla will be treated in the same manner as any other consort no matter what her title is during Charles' reign.
Old 09-15-2015, 06:09 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippyboo View Post
Per UK common law, wife takes the style and title from husband. The husband doesn't take style and title from wife.

So Kate married William and becomes HRH Duchess of Cambridge. Mark Phillips marries Princess Anne remains Mark Phillips. The Queen's father gave a HRH and the Duke of Edinburgh title to Philip when he married Elizabeth. Elizabeth is the Duchess of Edinburgh still. The Queen later made Philip a Prince of the UK just like Victoria made Albert a Prince of the UK.

Charles can make Camilla a Princess of the UK too but she is also the female equivalent of his titles too. So she is Queen to his King whether she uses it or not. The Govt would have to get involved to legal remove the title.

As per the changes made prior to Prince George's birth, I am not sure that is the situation. I would need to check the legislation.

Quote:

. I like your thinking. It is a very interesting point.

Quote:

. My understanding is that there is legally no such thing in English Law as a 'common law wife' or 'common law husband.' Nor is there any legal obligation for a wife to take her husbands name. I could be wrong but that is my understanding.

Quote:

Did the British Government get involved to remove The then HRH Princess of Wales, HRH? Were they consulted in the change of title, removal of HRH? I did a quick Hansards check and see mention?
Old 09-15-2015, 06:22 PM
Imperial Majesty

There is no legal obligation to use a husband's name - true.

However there is a clear cut difference between the fact that a wife can take on her husbands styles and titles but the reverse isn't the case. A wife can't raise a husband in status automatically but a husband can raise a wife.

Even with the changes to the Succession to the Crown Act - had George and Charlotte been born the other way round, George's wife would automatically become a Princess while Charlotte's husband would have to be given a title etc by new LPs. As things currently stand, given the most recent precedents when Charlotte marries, if her husband doesn't have a title in his own right then he won't get one but George's wife will become HRH Princess George and any other titles he may have at the same time e.g. Duke of Hogwarts.
Old 09-15-2015, 06:25 PM
Heir Apparent

His Royal Highness is no title but a form of address, like His Eminence, His Excellency, His Grace, etc. It is connected to the position. Diana could be addressed with her husband's titles and form of address. When she ended to be his spouse, logically also her husband's titles and form of address ended. So nothing was "removed" as also nothing was "given" to her. Her form of address was an automatism connected to her position as married wife to the holder of these titles. This ended with the break-up of said marriage.

Tags
camilla, duchess of cornwall, public opinion