Events and Athletes Discussion 2012 London Olympics

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have to agree. Every USA swimmer I see interviewed gets asked about MP, or he's mentioned at least 2 or 3 times. There are other people on the team you know!
He's the greatest Olympian ever, and retiring. It's only normal people are going to ask about him.

I don't mind the attention given to any of the RF, but I have to admit I'm really sick of the coverage given to Michael Phelps! I know it sounds mean but ....why not give somebody else a chance?

At least Michael Phelps has actually achieved something to justify the coverage. Kate got married - its hardly in the same league.

Now that Michael Phelps has raced his last race, I think there won't be too much more focus on him. He's done great in his swimming career and has raised the bar for future swimmers to aim for. It was obvious that his heart wasn't in the Olympics this year as much as in the previous years and he knows its time to move on. What I found kind of interesting is that the theme of the Olympics this year is "Inspiring a Generation". Michael opened the Michael Phelps Foundation in 2008 and it is a non-profit organization focused on growing the sport of swimming and promoting healthy and active lives, especially for children. This is what he'll focus on. That and golfing and diving with great whites. :D

I found the coverage here in the States to be mainly focused on the athletes. It was nice to see them show the royals attending from time to time though. My beef is that there are far far too many commercials!

Now that Michael Phelps has raced his last race, I think there won't be too much more focus on him. He's done great in his swimming career and has raised the bar for future swimmers to aim for. It was obvious that his heart wasn't in the Olympics this year as much as in the previous years and he knows its time to move on. What I found kind of interesting is that the theme of the Olympics this year is "Inspiring a Generation". Michael opened the Michael Phelps Foundation in 2008 and it is a non-profit organization focused on growing the sport of swimming and promoting healthy and active lives, especially for children. This is what he'll focus on. That and golfing and diving with great whites. :D

I found the coverage here in the States to be mainly focused on the athletes. It was nice to see them show the royals attending from time to time though. My beef is that there are far far too many commercials!

Wow, how stupid to focus on the athletes, at an Olympics and not on some royal family. Michael has done yoeman service for his sport and is quite an athlete. I like Kate a lot, but, to whomever said it, she just got married. And, yes, there are too many commercials. But we DVR and fast forward.

Artemisia said:
Mo Farah brings 6th GOLD of the day to Team GB. :britflag:
I'm speechless. Congratulations to all Brits here -absolutely fantastic result!

I just caught video of Mo Farah's win and started crying out of pure joy for him. Amazing!!!

I don't mind the attention given to any of the RF, but I have to admit I'm really sick of the coverage given to Michael Phelps! I know it sounds mean but ....why not give somebody else a chance?
I agree about Michael Phelps. I'm a little tired of him. The worst was when NBC cut the memorial tribute from the Opening ceremonies and instead showed an interview with him.

There are so many remarkable athletes (and stories) and I'd love to see them get more airtime. It gets tedious when the same athletes are interviewed day after day.

Last edited:
soapstar said:
I agree about Michael Phelps. I'm a little tired of him. The worst was when NBC cut the memorial tribute from the Opening ceremonies and instead showed an interview with him.

There are so many remarkable athletes (and stories) and I'd love to see them get more airtime. It gets tedious when the same athletes are interviewed day after day.

But your beef is with NBC, not Michael Phelps.

I'm confused. Nowhere in my post did I blame him for the coverage. I just stated that I'm tired of seeing him. And I am.

Of course the blame belongs to the network, which is why I stated that it would be nice to see other athletes get airtime.

Last edited:
Mirabel said:

Michael has actually accomplished something unlike the members of the royal family. What he has done is major and he deserves all the praise and attention he gets

Yes Michael is a good athlete it is a matter of opinion if he is great or a legend etc. But what posters are saying is that other athletes deserve airtime for their achievements as well. Michael isn't the only American athlete there you know.

As for comparing the coverage of Michael to the royals, I'm confused the press follow both for completely different reasons you can hardly compare them. If you don't like the coverage of royals, and you come here to complain, you might be on the wrong forum.

We never complained about the coverage of royals. I was saying that compared to them Michael has actually accomplished something other than being born. Yes there are other athletes, but unfortunately they have not broken the record for all time medal wins at the Olympics. This just unfortunately just happened to be Michaela year. Complaining about the attention given to Michael is like complaining about the attention Michael Jordan for in the 90s, or Tiger Woods got when he was winning in golf year after year. The people who do something spectacular get the most attention.

19th gold medal for GB with Alistair Brownlee in the triathlon.

We never complained about the coverage of royals. I was saying that compared to them Michael has actually accomplished something other than being born. Yes there are other athletes, but unfortunately they have not broken the record for all time medal wins at the Olympics. This just unfortunately just happened to be Michaela year. Complaining about the attention given to Michael is like complaining about the attention Michael Jordan for in the 90s, or Tiger Woods got when he was winning in golf year after year. The people who do something spectacular get the most attention.

So, the royals have never accomplished anything other than being born? Really? You believe their lives are so devoid of value that being born is the most that they can boast of? I think that's pretty unfair.

It's utterly preposterous to compare the careers of royals with swimmers. In doing so you're comparing apples with bananas.

I'm always glad to see the end of the swimming. There are simply way too many swimming events.

Finally, first medal for Finland! Tuuli Petäjä won silver in sailing, women's RS-X!!!

19th gold medal for GB with Alistair Brownlee in the triathlon.
And in doing so, Britain equalled its Beijing gold medals haul, making this (along with Beijing) their second most productive Olympics in history after the 1908 Games. Back in 2008, Britain earned 47 medals in total - 19 gold, 13 silver and 15 bronze - a very strong result and the best in nearly a century. However, that is likely to change son. Right now, Britain has 43 medals - 19 gold, 12 silver and 12 bronze. Considering there are several medals at stake today in disciplines Britain is one of the favourites (including cycling), the record can well be broken today.

Great Britain equal Beijing gold medal haul at London 2012

Current Team Standings:
1. China: 32 Gold - 19 Silver - 14 Bronze = 65 Total
2. USA: 29 Gold - 15 Silver - 19 Bronze = 63 Total
3. United Kingdom: 19 Gold - 12 Silver - 12 Bronze = 43 Total
4. South Korea: 11 Gold - 5 Silver - 6 Bronze = 22 Total
5. France: 8 Gold - 9 Silver - 10 Bronze = 27 Total
6. Russia: 7 Gold - 17 Silver - 18 Bronze = 42 Total
7. Italy: 7 Gold - 6 Silver - 4 Bronze = 17 Total
8. Kazakhstan: 6 Gold - 0 Silver - 1 Bronze = 7 Total
9. Germany: 5 Gold - 11 Silver - 7 Bronze = 23 Total
10 The Netherlands: 4 Gold - 3 Silver - 4 Bronze = 11 Total
11. Hungary: 4 Gold - 1 Silver - 3 Bronze = 8 Total
12. North Korea: 4 Gold - 0 Silver - 1 Bronze = 5 Total
13. Cuba: 3 Gold - 3 Silver - 1 Bronze = 7 Total
14. Belarus: 3 Gold - 2 Silver - 3 Bronze = 8 Total
15. New Zealand: 3 Gold - 1 Silver - 4 Bronze = 8 Total
47. Armenia: 0 Gold - 1 Silver - 1 Bronze = 2 Total

Finally, first medal for Finland! Tuuli Petäjä won silver in sailing, women's RS-X!!!
Congratulations! :flowers:
It may be the first, but hopefully, it will not be the last.

Another stunning victory from Team GB in Team Dressage. :britflag:
Pretty unexpected, I must admit; I thought the Germans were strong favourites, but the British performed magnificently, especially Charlotte Dujardin, Carl Hester and Laura Bechtolsheimer - who all ranked in Top 5 individually (1st, 3rd and 5th, to be more precise). This was the even Princess Nathalie competed in (she ranked 9th individually - the best of the Danish Team, which finished on 4th position).

This is Britain's first victory in the discipline. Congratulations. And Dujardin's ride - just WOW!

Last edited by a moderator:
He's the greatest Olympian ever, and retiring. It's only normal people are going to ask about him.

Exactly. He's no different than Tiger Woods or Michael Jordan or any of the other legends of their sport. They always get the focus. (And I do think he's a legend--on a number of different levels.)

I've enjoyed the coverage and the interviews. This is his last Olympics; so, this is IT. I have thoroughly enjoyed watching him race and smash records over the years. Swimming won't be the same--but what an amazing legacy he's left behind. But, then, I love watching swimming (and diving). Track is less interesting to me.

The media-the U.S. media anyway-always has a few "stars" and they get the most attention. In this Olympics, so far, it is Missy Franklin, Gabby Douglas, and Michael Phelps in the U.S. Michael Phelps isn't the only one getting extra media attention. Ryan Lochte hasn't done bad for himself either. I've been rather lucky--most of the athletes getting the most attention in these games happen to be ones who are participating in sports I really like to watch. Usain Bolt isn't doing too bad, either, come to think of it. Coverage on him is going up.

Last edited:
Denmark with Nathalie SWB finished 4th in Dressage behind GB, Germany and Natherlands.

GB has now won team medals in all 3 equestrian competitions at this Olympics
Team Eventing - Silver
Team Jumping - Gold
Team Dressage - Gold

:previous:
And with this gold medal Team GB secured its best performance in over a century! :clap:
The only time Britain won more gold medals was during the 1908 Olympics Games - and that result is highly unlikely to be ever repeated (146 medals, including 56 gold).

:previous:
And with this gold medal Team GB secured its best performance in over a century! :clap:
The only time Britain won more gold medals was during the 1908 Olympics Games - and that result is highly unlikely to be ever repeated (146 medals, including 56 gold).

Awesome!! I'm glad the home team is doing so well!

And two outstanding gold medals today for the Dutch :D Epke Zonderland in Gymnastics. His routine on the uneven was outstanding. Not one Gymnast could top that insane show he pulled off.
And ofcourse gold for Dorian, surfing the perfect Olympics. He was already secure of gold this weekend, but only got it today. Hats off to him. :D

And bronze for our Dressage team. We haven't been that lucky, the past two years. With the exception of Adelinde ofcourse, on course for a podium place. (GOLD) Anky riding with Salinero, who's 18 years. He will be joining Bonfire in the ''Olympic paddock'' back at Anky's home after the Games. Patrick is last, sadly. And Edward Gal, whom I nominate as the unluckiest dressage rider ever. Lost his best horse twice already, everytime when it was going well. He's only been a combination with Undercover for half a year.

Kur Edward Gal Moorlands Totilas Aachen 2010 - YouTube

It's bittersweet. Look at this horse, it's absolutely insane. He would've smashed his own records.

And two outstanding gold medals today for the Dutch :D Epke Zonderland in Gymnastics. His routine on the uneven was outstanding. Not one Gymnast could top that insane show he pulled off.
I watched that one live: he was absolutely brilliant. Just faultless. A very deserved victory for a stunning performance. :flowers:

Laura Trott just won Women's Omnium, brining Britain's medal count in this discipline to 7 (including 6 golds).
For comparison, Germany comes next - with only two medals (one gold).

With Victoria Pendleton and Chris Hoy almost certain to win golds in Cycling (Women's Sprint and Men's Keirin), are we going to see the repeat of Super Saturday?

Three gold medals and counting for Team GB today... :whistling:

I'm so happy for Aly Raisman (USA Gymnastics). After losing the tie in all-around and placing 4th, she got bronze on beam (via more drama--an inquiry raised and another tie breaker) AND GOLD on the floor. I can't wait to watch her tonight!!

I watched that one live: he was absolutely brilliant. Just faultless. A very deserved victory for a stunning performance. :flowers:
I know right, it was insaaane. All the men delivered. A true final for sure but Epke was the King today. He's studying Medicine aswell. Great athlete with good brains!

Another medal for Team GB - silver.
Victoria Pendleton won silver in Women's Sprint, brining Britain's medal count in this discipline to 8. She was favourite to win and actually did win the first lap, but then Pendleton was relegated (for coming out of the sprint lane). She lost the second lap (out of three), so her opponent - Anna Mears from Australia - took gold.

Pretty disappointing for Victoria to end her career with a silver, especially since she was the favourite. But a silver is a great achievement, and she already has a gold.
This medal brought Britain's medal count in this discipline to 8.

Something tells me the hottest Christmas gift in Britain this year is going to be a bicycle. ;)

I know right, it was insaaane. All the men delivered. A true final for sure but Epke was the King today. He's studying Medicine aswell. Great athlete with good brains!
Sounds like a perfect man to me! ;)

Sir Chris has done it again. His 2nd gold medal of the games, 6th in his career and 7th total Olympic medals.

Chris Hoy won Men's Keirin, becoming Britain's most successful cyclist with 6 gold medals, surpassing Steve Redgrave's 5.
Team GB now has 22 gold medals - 4 won today. Two more, and it will be Super Tuesday. :)

Felt so bad for Victoria Pendleton, relegated on a technicality even though Mears was coming at her with the elbows. Vicky was obviously so put off by that she just couldn't concentrate. The cycling authorities have spent the last 4 years trying to come up with rules and changes to the programme to try and end British domination of track cycling. They mostly haven't succeeded, with the exception of Pendleton's 2 relegations.

Thrilled for our equestrians as the Germans have dominated the dressage for over 30 years. They were expected to win again having apparently spent at least £10 million on one of their horses. Charlotte Dujardin is a real star of the future (and present) given her age and relative inexperience.

Absolutely. Charlotte and Adelinde are going to dominate the scene. And maybe a good rivalry will begin. Like Anky vs. Isabell.
And Germany's reign has been waining for a couple of years now. How they solved the proble? Bought all the good horses from the opponents. I'm not a fan.

Armenia won another medal! :clap:
A bronze, but who cares? :D

Arthur Aleksanyan won bronze in Men's 96kg Greco-Roman.

Absolutely. Charlotte and Adelinde are going to dominate the scene. And maybe a good rivalry will begin. Like Anky vs. Isabell.
And Germany's reign has been waining for a couple of years now. How they solved the proble? Bought all the good horses from the opponents. I'm not a fan.

Charlotte Dujardin was simply fantastic as were Adelinde Cornelissen (from the Netherlands) and Helen Langehanenberg (from Germany). But another Brit - Laura Bechtolsheimer - is definitely one to watch as well; she's only 27 (same age as Charlotte) and showed a magnificent result too.
Really waiting forward to the Individual Dressage; it should be a great spectacle, with so many top-notch athlete competing for three spots.

Back
Top Bottom