Danish (State) Visits: General Discussion, Suggestions and Musings

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
That is also how i read it… That this was a working visit planned long in advance before the abdication/accession happened, wich Frederik will now carry out as King instead - while they will respect the tradition by letting the first joint visits (wich i interpret as Frederiks first outgoing state visits) go to Sweden and Norway.

I expecr the first state visit of the new regal couple to be to Norway, followed then by Sweden and Finland.

Real state visits usually take a lot of time for planning, and several days of space must be found in the calendars on both sides, including all the representatives that are accompanying the royal couple, like business delegations, etc. That's why I expect that Frederik and Mary will start off with one day visits, like the other new monarchs in the Netherlands, Belgium and Spain did. IIRC, they called them 'introductory visits'. I would be surprised if there were any real state visits in the first half of this year.

JMHO --- first state visit will be to Sweden as they are cousins. Norway will be second (also cousins, but not as closely blood related).

Real state visits usually take a lot of time for planning, and several days of space must be found in the calendars on both sides, including all the representatives that are accompanying the royal couple, like business delegations, etc. That's why I expect that Frederik and Mary will start off with one day visits, like the other new monarchs in the Netherlands, Belgium and Spain did. IIRC, they called them 'introductory visits'. I would be surprised if there were any real state visits in the first half of this year.

We know that QMII discussed her abdication with the Swedish King, so a state visit could actually be arranged with a relatively short notice.
Because it's pretty much a tradition that people from the Scandinavian monarchies who are new on the job, get a practice run by visiting each other.
I wouldn't be the slightest surprised if some drafts are already in the drawers ready to be taken out on a short notice if needed.

I do doubt that visits to other monarchies will be more than just dropping by to say hi, for the time being that is.

Germany will also be very high on the list BTW for a state visit. Because Germany is our largest trading partner, apart from being a neighbor and vital EU member.

Germany will also be very high on the list BTW for a state visit. Because Germany is our largest trading partner, apart from being a neighbor and vital EU member.

That would be great but i have my doubts as Queen Margrethe only paid a State Visit to Germany 2 years ago.

Perhaps they will do it like the dutch royal Couple and pay Working Visits to all the federal States in the next 10 years.

I do hope there won’t be any ”introduction visits” a la Dutch to other monarchies in Europe. They are family, why would they need introductions? Waste of money, time and resources.

Now, a full-scale state visit is a totally another matter and I expect them to visit other Nordic countries in the next two years.

JMHO --- first state visit will be to Sweden as they are cousins. Norway will be second (also cousins, but not as closely blood related).

They are now closer to the Swedish royal family by blood because of Queen Ingrid, but, as a nation, Norway is historically closer to Denmark than Sweden, which is why I think Norway will come first, but we will have to wait and see.

I expecr the first state visit of the new regal couple to be to Norway, followed then by Sweden and Finland.

If they follow the unwritten rule for nordic monarch’s, the first full state visit goes to the longest reigning nordic monarch, wich now is the King of Sweden.

QMII visited her grandfather King Gustaf VI Adolf of Sweden in January 1973 who by then was the longest reigning european monarch after Prince Rainier of Monaco. Then she continued to Norway.

King Carl XVI Gustaf in the same tradition visited King Olav of Norway in 1974 and QMII in 1975.

King Harald in the same tradition visited Denmark in 1991 and Sweden in 1992.

They are now closer to the Swedish royal family by blood because of Queen Ingrid, but, as a nation, Norway is historically closer to Denmark than Sweden, which is why I think Norway will come first, but we will have to wait and see.

Very fair point. However, I think this may come down to scheduling and logistics as to whether the first state visit is to Sweden or Norway.

It would be so meaningful to wear the Rubies in Sweden, but it would be nice to see Mary wearing something different, that is: the pearls, in her first outing as Queen. It's probably going to be Sweden>Norway, but I wish it was the way round, so we could see Mary wearing the pearls in Norway and the Rubies in Sweden.

She will look beautiful either way.

It would be so meaningful to wear the Rubies in Sweden, but it would be nice to see Mary wearing something different, that is: the pearls, in her first outing as Queen. It's probably going to be Sweden>Norway, but I wish it was the way round, so we could see Mary wearing the pearls in Norway and the Rubies in Sweden.

It may be disappointing to royal watchers if Mary chooses the Ruby parure over the Pearl parure for her first outgoing state visit because they want to see Mary wearing a new-to-her set, but personally I think the Rubies are much nicer.

I believe the Emerald parure would look great on Mary (better than either the Pearl or the Ruby sets), but, unfortunately, it appears that the Emeralds are not worn outside Denmark, so we will have to wait for an incoming state visit to see them on the new queen.

Most likely, Mary will choose the Pearl parure for her first international gala as queen. It was Queen Margrethe's go-to set for major state visits and I suspect Queen Mary will keep that tradition.

If they follow the unwritten rule for nordic monarch’s, the first full state visit goes to the longest reigning nordic monarch, wich now is the King of Sweden.

QMII visited her grandfather King Gustaf VI Adolf of Sweden in January 1973 who by then was the longest reigning european monarch after Prince Rainier of Monaco. Then she continued to Norway.

King Carl XVI Gustaf in the same tradition visited King Olav of Norway in 1974 and QMII in 1975.

Fair point, if King Frederik X sticks with the seniority principle.

Last edited:
It may be disappointing to royal watchers if Mary chooses the Ruby parure over the Pearl parure for her first outgoing state visit because they want to see Mary wearing a new-to-her set, but personally I think the Rubies are much nicer.

I believe the Emerald parure would look great on Mary (better than either the Pearl or the Ruby sets), but, unfortunately, it appears that the Emeralds are not worn outside Denmark, so we will have to wait for an incoming state visit to see them on the new queen.

Most likely, Mary will choose the Pearl parure for her first international gala as queen. It was Queen Margrethe's go-to set for major state visits and I suspect Queen Mary will keep that tradition.

I would be surprised to see Mary wear the rubies for her first state visit as Queen. I think it will probably be the Pearls.

Mary has already worn the rubies in Sweden once, at the wedding of Victoria & Daniel. Lets hope she wears them again in Sweden for the wedding of Estelle.

Did not know this, thank you :flowers:
Was QMII visit to Norway also in 1973? (sorry I can look that up).
So if this "tradition" is respected it will be Sweden first then Norway :flowers:

Was that also the case for King Frederik IX.? Because he should first have gone to Norway as King Haakon was then longer reigning then King Gustaf V.

she has worn the rubies already in Sweden and the pearl tiara has also a good connection to Sweden. Actually, she could wear the rubies in Norway as they would go well with the norwegian sash.

Last edited:
So if this "tradition" is respected it will be Sweden first then Norway :flowers:

Also, when a new Scandinavian CP couple has been married. One of their first visits together go to another Scandinavian country. - A practice run, with very little risk of offending someone or make unforgivable mistakes.

Yes QMII visited Norway between 12-14 February 1973

Was that also the case for King Frederik IX.? Because he should first have gone to Norway as King Haakon was then longer reigning then King Gustaf V.

Yes. King Frederik and Queen Ingrid visited both Norway and Sweden in 1947. They went to Norway 29 September - 1 October.

I’m a bit unsure about the exact dates for their state visit to Sweden but the State Banquet at the Royal Palace in Stockholm during that visit took place on 11 October, so it must be around that date.

After Prince Rainier, King Baudouin of the Belgians was the longest reigning monarch.

Will it be possible for King Frederik X and Queen Mary to state visit Portugal one day?

After they visit Sweden and Norway as tradition - do the State Visits have to go in some particular order of length of reign? Or after that can they make a state visit to France for instance if an invitation is extended or Japan, etc.

Will it be possible for King Frederik X and Queen Mary to state visit Portugal one day?
I think they should have an tour to the European monarchies after Sweden and Norway, and later for republics.

After they visit Sweden and Norway as tradition - do the State Visits have to go in some particular order of length of reign? Or after that can they make a state visit to France for instance if an invitation is extended or Japan, etc.
I think it will depend from which countries there will ne invitations and which countries the Danish Government sees as important

Last edited:
I thik it will depend from which countries there will invitations and which countries the Danish Government sees as important
I think that is right. After the Scandinavian monarchies, it should be the diplomatic agenda of the government that determines where subsequent state visits are to.

It seems like the principle of paying state visit basen on seniority is gone for the new monarchs. First visits seems to go to neighbouring countries, but after that it is the Diplomatic and Trade agenda deciding.

In the case of Denmark I guess outgoing State Visits to Germany and the other big European countries and perhaps The Netherlands as they quite often have a shared agenda and point of view in EU.

Interestingly, the only kingdom in Europe that the King and Queen of Jordan have not yet paid a state visit to is Denmark.

Back
Top Bottom