The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 08-07-2012, 12:30 PM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Empress Merel View Post
And two outstanding gold medals today for the Dutch Epke Zonderland in Gymnastics. His routine on the uneven was outstanding. Not one Gymnast could top that insane show he pulled off.
I watched that one live: he was absolutely brilliant. Just faultless. A very deserved victory for a stunning performance.

Laura Trott just won Women's Omnium, brining Britain's medal count in this discipline to 7 (including 6 golds).
For comparison, Germany comes next - with only two medals (one gold).

With Victoria Pendleton and Chris Hoy almost certain to win golds in Cycling (Women's Sprint and Men's Keirin), are we going to see the repeat of Super Saturday?

Three gold medals and counting for Team GB today...

Old 08-07-2012, 12:37 PM
Aristocracy

I'm so happy for Aly Raisman (USA Gymnastics). After losing the tie in all-around and placing 4th, she got bronze on beam (via more drama--an inquiry raised and another tie breaker) AND GOLD on the floor. I can't wait to watch her tonight!!

Old 08-07-2012, 12:38 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemisia View Post
I watched that one live: he was absolutely brilliant. Just faultless. A very deserved victory for a stunning performance.
I know right, it was insaaane. All the men delivered. A true final for sure but Epke was the King today. He's studying Medicine aswell. Great athlete with good brains!
Old 08-07-2012, 12:41 PM
Heir Apparent

Spletnik.ru ---London2012 - Gold medals, bronze medals and basketball-players' autographs
Old 08-07-2012, 12:57 PM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

Another medal for Team GB - silver.
Victoria Pendleton won silver in Women's Sprint, brining Britain's medal count in this discipline to 8. She was favourite to win and actually did win the first lap, but then Pendleton was relegated (for coming out of the sprint lane). She lost the second lap (out of three), so her opponent - Anna Mears from Australia - took gold.

Pretty disappointing for Victoria to end her career with a silver, especially since she was the favourite. But a silver is a great achievement, and she already has a gold.
This medal brought Britain's medal count in this discipline to 8.

Something tells me the hottest Christmas gift in Britain this year is going to be a bicycle.

Quote:
I know right, it was insaaane. All the men delivered. A true final for sure but Epke was the King today. He's studying Medicine aswell. Great athlete with good brains!
Sounds like a perfect man to me!
Old 08-07-2012, 01:06 PM
Heir Apparent

Sir Chris has done it again. His 2nd gold medal of the games, 6th in his career and 7th total Olympic medals.
Old 08-07-2012, 01:09 PM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

Chris Hoy won Men's Keirin, becoming Britain's most successful cyclist with 6 gold medals, surpassing Steve Redgrave's 5.
Team GB now has 22 gold medals - 4 won today. Two more, and it will be Super Tuesday.
Old 08-07-2012, 01:53 PM
Heir Presumptive

Felt so bad for Victoria Pendleton, relegated on a technicality even though Mears was coming at her with the elbows. Vicky was obviously so put off by that she just couldn't concentrate. The cycling authorities have spent the last 4 years trying to come up with rules and changes to the programme to try and end British domination of track cycling. They mostly haven't succeeded, with the exception of Pendleton's 2 relegations.

Thrilled for our equestrians as the Germans have dominated the dressage for over 30 years. They were expected to win again having apparently spent at least £10 million on one of their horses. Charlotte Dujardin is a real star of the future (and present) given her age and relative inexperience.
Old 08-07-2012, 02:53 PM
Serene Highness

Absolutely. Charlotte and Adelinde are going to dominate the scene. And maybe a good rivalry will begin. Like Anky vs. Isabell.
And Germany's reign has been waining for a couple of years now. How they solved the proble? Bought all the good horses from the opponents. I'm not a fan.
Old 08-07-2012, 02:54 PM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

Armenia won another medal!
A bronze, but who cares?

Arthur Aleksanyan won bronze in Men's 96kg Greco-Roman.

Quote:
Absolutely. Charlotte and Adelinde are going to dominate the scene. And maybe a good rivalry will begin. Like Anky vs. Isabell.
And Germany's reign has been waining for a couple of years now. How they solved the proble? Bought all the good horses from the opponents. I'm not a fan.
Charlotte Dujardin was simply fantastic as were Adelinde Cornelissen (from the Netherlands) and Helen Langehanenberg (from Germany). But another Brit - Laura Bechtolsheimer - is definitely one to watch as well; she's only 27 (same age as Charlotte) and showed a magnificent result too.
Really waiting forward to the Individual Dressage; it should be a great spectacle, with so many top-notch athlete competing for three spots.
Old 08-07-2012, 03:05 PM
Serene Highness

It's going to be good! Looking forward to see what Anky and Salinero can still pull off. He may be 18, but that horse is in damn good shape and enjoying it. It's really lovely to watch those two. His retirement is well deserved.
Old 08-07-2012, 03:47 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

I think GB just got a bronze but we've got to share it.

We just eclipsed our Beijing Medal Count by one with a few days to go! Bring it on!

So glad Sally Pearson got gold in the 100m hurdles! She's crying on the track. Good Morning Australia!
Old 08-07-2012, 03:58 PM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

Robert Grabarz won a bronze for Team Britain won bronze in Men's High Jump. His highest jump was 2.29 - same as that of athletes from Canada and Qatar, so they occupied joint third position. Gold went to Ivan Ukhov from Russia (2.38) and silver - to Eric Kynard from USA (2.33).

Before the Olympics, the British Olympic Committee said their goal is to win 48 medals (one more than in Beijing) and occupy 4th position. Both goals now achieved.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post
So glad Sally Pearson got gold in the 100m hurdles! She's crying on the track. Good Morning Australia!
She had amazing reaction time - 0.137 seconds. Dawn Harper (who took silver) had a reaction time of 0.156. Considering Sally's final time was 12.35 and Dawn's 12.37, the reaction time might have well won Sally the gold.
Congratulations!

With all medals now distributed, Team Standings today:
1. China: 34 Gold - 21 Silver - 18 Bronze = 73 Total
2. USA: 30 Gold - 17 Silver - 20 Bronze = 67 Total
3. United Kingdom: 22 Gold - 13 Silver - 13 Bronze = 48 Total
4. South Korea: 12 Gold - 5 Silver - 6 Bronze = 23 Total
5. Russia: 10 Gold - 18 Silver - 20 Bronze = 48 Total
6. France: 8 Gold - 9 Silver - 11 Bronze = 28 Total
7. Italy: 7 Gold - 6 Silver - 4 Bronze = 17 Total
8. Germany: 6 Gold - 14 Silver - 7 Bronze = 27 Total
9. Kazakhstan: 6 Gold - 0 Silver - 1 Bronze = 7 Total
10 The Netherlands: 5 Gold - 3 Silver - 6 Bronze = 14 Total
11. Iran: 4 Gold - 3 Silver - 1 Bronze = 8 Total
12. Hungary: 4 Gold - 2 Silver - 3 Bronze = 9 Total
13. North Korea: 4 Gold - 0 Silver - 1 Bronze = 5 Total
14. Australia: 3 Gold - 12 Silver - 9 Bronze = 24Total
13. Cuba: 3 Gold - 3 Silver - 1 Bronze = 7 Total
44. Armenia: 0 Gold - 1 Silver - 2 Bronze = 3 Total
Old 08-07-2012, 04:03 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erin9

Exactly. He's no different than Tiger Woods or Michael Jordan or any of the other legends of their sport. They always get the focus. (And I do think he's a legend--on a number of different levels.)

I've enjoyed the coverage and the interviews. This is his last Olympics; so, this is IT. I have thoroughly enjoyed watching him race and smash records over the years. Swimming won't be the same--but what an amazing legacy he's left behind. But, then, I love watching swimming (and diving). Track is less interesting to me.

The media-the U.S. media anyway-always has a few "stars" and they get the most attention. In this Olympics, so far, it is Missy Franklin, Gabby Douglas, and Michael Phelps in the U.S. Michael Phelps isn't the only one getting extra media attention. Ryan Lochte hasn't done bad for himself either. I've been rather lucky--most of the athletes getting the most attention in these games happen to be ones who are participating in sports I really like to watch. Usain Bolt isn't doing too bad, either, come to think of it. Coverage on him is going up.
I agree Erin, if you don't like Michael for personal reasons that's fine, but you can't deny what be has done for himself and his sport. I'm not a big Phelps fan myself, but I know he has accomplished a remarkable thing and deserves a great big pat on the back. I do wonder if he is really retiring though, perhaps in 2016 he'll be back again.
Jaqueline Bouvier Kennedy, September 12, 1953
Countess Stephanie of Belgium October 20, 2012
Old 08-07-2012, 07:16 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by XeniaCasaraghi View Post
I agree Erin, if you don't like Michael for personal reasons that's fine, but you can't deny what be has done for himself and his sport. I'm not a big Phelps fan myself, but I know he has accomplished a remarkable thing and deserves a great big pat on the back. I do wonder if he is really retiring though, perhaps in 2016 he'll be back again.
IA with you there. What he did in swimming is just unprecedented imo, like him or not. (I'm a fan, obviously.lol) The potential for lots of medals is there, but it is VERY hard to medal the way he did. I think he's got nearly twice as many medals as any other swimmer--and of course 18 of those 22 are gold--which is also extraordinary. He usually made it look easy to be super successful. The list of records he's broken just go on and on. He certainly deserves a lot of credit for swimming's increased popularity in the U.S.--among the public and the swimmers he has inspired.

I think he means it. He said he's accomplished all his goals. Off the top of my head, I can't think of major "firsts" for him now. One of his teammates said it well- he said he thinks Michael's done unless a few years down the road Michael is looking for something and thinks he can find it in swimming. I'd tend to agree: I think that's the only way it happens. But, I tend to think he's done competing. He's been pretty adament about being done and why. I wish him well in whatever he does, but I will miss watching him swim.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemisia View Post

Before the Olympics, the British Olympic Committee said their goal is to win 48 medals (one more than in Beijing) and occupy 4th position. Both goals now achieved.
Congratulations to GB!!

I wish the U.S. would step it up a bit. I'd like to see us beat China.
Old 08-07-2012, 07:46 PM
Royal Highness

Very happy for Sally Pearson and Chris Hoy, they did really great today

— Queen Margrethe II of Denmark directly addressing people suffering from depression and loneliness in her 2011 New Years address.

Old 08-07-2012, 08:08 PM
Heir Presumptive

What I like is when a total underdog comes through and wins a medal!

When the unexpected happens, and someone who's considered a long shot wins a place in the sun! (Like Laura Trott, and the GB dressage team). That conveys the spirit of the Olympics to me.
Old 08-07-2012, 10:46 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archduchess Zelia View Post
Very happy for Sally Pearson and Chris Hoy, they did really great today
They did! Nicely done!
Old 08-08-2012, 09:28 AM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Well done to Ireland's boxing champion Katie Taylor who secures silver and a chance of Olympic Gold!
Old 08-08-2012, 09:51 AM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by An Ard Ri View Post
Well done to Ireland's boxing champion Katie Taylor who secures silver and a chance of Olympic Gold!
Well done to her!
Hope Katie Taylor and Nicola Adams (from the UK) win their respective boxing finals.