Events and Athletes Discussion 2012 London Olympics

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Gold for Ed Mckeever (GB) in the Kayak 200m.

Update: Bronze medal for Liam Heath and Jon Schofield in the Kayak Double 200m. Russia gets Gold. Not sure which GB team member, think it was Jon, but one of the gentleman does not look very well after the race, just threw up for the camera's to see.

Last edited:
Between the swimmers, divers, gymnasts and rowers, I tell you, way to make a woman's heart flutter!

I think Usain has great character. He engages with his audience and loves the theatre. He's a crowd pleaser, but I think he gets as much from it as they do. Yes I suppose you could consider him arrogant, but tell me of an athlete who is not arrogant to whatever degree? I think Phelps is incredibly arrogant but he's a wonderful athlete.

I agree, I think they're all arrogant. IMO, it's what gives this level of athlete the edge. It's the force of character and the high expectations on themselves that make them Olympic or pro level. You even look at those young women in the gymnastics as an example....Mustafina, Moroney, Komova all had strong reactions to their standings. Mustafina pushed her coach's arm away in frustration after a flawed performance. Komova and Moroney were displeased at their silver medal's. In women they call it diva attitude but it's the same drive that got them to the Olympics in the first place. I think Usain, Lochte, Phelp's etc arrogance helps them pysch themselves up to say "I'm the best athlete competing today".JMO

Glod for Mexico football team.
that was a stunning performance Brazil should wait a little bit more for their first gold Medal in Football.

Abdalaati Iguider to paly tonight?

Congrats to Anita Włodarczyk!

Number 10 is persecuting Poland: in Athens 10 medals, in Beijing 10 medals and now in London...

What ranking are you guys seeiing? One site has GB @ 3 and another has Russia, though the medal count is the same. Is this one of those situations where one site goes by gold and another goes by overall medal count?

On the other hand I have 6hrs of Olympics on my DVR, I hope one of them is synchronized swimming.

:previous:
That's the difference between rankings is down to how medals are counted - by the number of Gold Medals or Overall Medal count.
The Gold medal count is by far the more accepted one, so in most websites you'll see Britain ranked third.

Team Standings by Gold medals:
1. USA: 41 Gold - 26 Silver - 29 Bronze = 96 Total
2. China: 37 Gold - 26 Silver - 21 Bronze = 84 Total
3. United Kingdom: 27 Gold - 15 Silver - 18 Bronze = 60 Total
4. Russia: 20 Gold - 24 Silver - 29 Bronze = 73 Total
5. South Korea: 13 Gold - 7 Silver - 7 Bronze = 27 Total

Team Standings by Total Medal Count:
1. USA: 96 Total
2. China: 84 Total
3. Russia: 73 Total
4. United Kingdom: 60 Total
5. Germany: 43 medals

Last edited:
Synchronised swimming is a total joke of a sport IMO.

Mo Farah has done the 10,000m and 5,000m double. What a man he is; born in war-torn Mogadishu, came to the UK as a child and now he's a national hero. Just wonderful.

Fantastic penultimate Olympic day for Team GB.
- Mo Farah won gold in Men's 5000
- Luke Campbell won gold in Men's Bantam (56kg)
- Ed McKkever won gold in Men's Kayak Single 200m
- Tom Daley won bronze in Men's 10m Platform Dive (he was first until the last dive; he did great but his dive had 3.2 difficulty, while his main opponents' - 3.6)
- Liam Heath and Jon Schofield won bronze in Men's kayak Double 200m

Luke Campbell's achievement is all the more impressive since he is the first British medal winner in the bantamweight category since 1908.
Mo Farah was equally brilliant, becoming only the seventh man in history to complete both 10,000m and 5,000m at the same Games.

Britain's medal count is now 62 - 28 gold, 15 silver and 19 bronze. Fantastic! :britflag: :britflag: :britflag:

Synchronised swimming is a total joke of a sport IMO.

Mo Farah has done the 10,000m and 5,000m double. What a man he is; born in war-torn Mogadishu, came to the UK as a child and now he's a national hero. Just wonderful.
Mo's story is truly inspiring, and I'm glad he gets the recognition he deserves.
One thing I've noticed from the interviews, he always comes across as a very nice and humble man. Well done!

Last edited:
He is a nice guy by all accounts, Artemisia. He's been on the radar in the UK for a long time, but he always seemed to lead the race until the final straight when he'd almost inevitably be out-sprinted by the Kenyans and Ethiopians. So to see HIM out-sprinting the rest of his competitors is amazing.

I loved seeing Mo Farrah win gold again. His first win is one of my favorite moments this Olympics.

I am also very happy that Tom Daley got the bronze, especially after being taunted on twitter about losing earlier. Still stunned that USA's David Boudia got gold! These are pretty significant medals for both countries diving-wise.

I must admit to not enjoying the Synchronised Swimming but having a student who does that at a reasonably high competitive level I can assure you it is a sport - the amount of physical training, not just swimming, is immense. This girl used to do gymnastics but fell and broke her leg and was advised to swim to help it get stronger and while swimming came across a group doing synchronised swimming so asked to join them - in her words the swimming is far harder because there is so much time spent under water - she believes that most people who don't think of it as a sport do so because they don't understand it but she does more training for SS than she needed to do to reach state level in gymnastics and she is at the same level in SS now so can make a reasonable comparison between the two disciplines.

2016 Summer Olympics will be in Rio (Brazil)
2014 Winter Olympics will be in Sochi (Russia)

Last edited:
One of my favourite songs and Team GB's heroes - what could be better?
LOVE that video; it's hilarious! :D

Now that all the medals have been awarded, here is the final Teams' Standing:
1. USA: 46 Gold - 29 Silver - 29 Bronze = 104 Total
2. China: 38 Gold - 27 Silver - 22 Bronze = 87 Total
3. United Kingdom: 29 Gold - 17 Silver - 19 Bronze = 65 Total
4. Russia: 24 Gold - 25 Silver - 33 Bronze = 82 Total
5. South Korea: 13 Gold - 8 Silver - 7 Bronze = 28 Total

- Compared to the Beijing Olympics, the United States improved their gold medals count (46 vs. 36), but earned 6 medals less (104 vs. 110).
- Compared to the Beijing Olympics, China showed weaker results, earning only 38 gold medals (vs. 51) and 87 medals in total (vs. 100).
- Great Britain showed their best result in over a century. They earned 29 gold medals (vs. 19) and a total of 65 (vs. 47), as well as the third overall spot.
- Despite coming 4th, Russia actually improved compared to Beijing as well. They earned 24 gold medals (vs. 23) and a total of 82 (vs. 73).
- South Korea is slightly behind their Beijing record, earning the same number of gold medals (13) but with lesser overall medal count (28 vs. 31).

In the first pages of this thread, some asked whether athletes from British Overseas territories could compete for the Team GB. The answer is yes. Apart from the Home Nations (England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland), athletes from the Crown Dependencies (Isle of Man, Guernsey and Jersey), as well as all but three of the British Overseas Territories could take part (the three exceptions are the Cayman Islands, British Virgin Islands and Bermuda, who all have their Olympic Committees). This year, athletes from outside the Home Nations included Mark Cavendish and Peter Kennaugh (Isle of Man), Georgina Cassar (Gibraltar), Heather Watson and Carl Hester (Guernsey), and Shara Proctor (Anguilla).
Carl Hester
from Guernsey won gold in Team Dressage, while Peter Kennaugh from Isle of Man took gold in Team Pursuit (cycling).

Last edited:
I might make some angry with this, but I am going by the ranking of overall medals, not amount of gold medals. If Russia 66 vs Gbs 65 I would give #3 to the later. But 82 vs 65, which is almost 20 ahead! I have to give agree with NBC and give #3 to Russia. I guess thats just me being an American again.

Why should anyone be angry with you politely expressing your opinion? :)
Ranking by gold is more accepting, but some do rank by overall medal count, so it's basically down to personal preference.

Our greatest Games: The record-breaking fortnight for Team GB that saw the men and women clinch 29 Olympic gold medals
Britain's athletes at the Olympics did not just exceed expectations, they smashed them, and in doing so a series of previously little-known athletes became household names. The total of 65 medals, including 29 golds, is the best tally recorded by Britain at any Olympics since 1908 - and 18 more than won in Beijing four years ago.

Last edited by a moderator:
Third place in the medal table is actually quite remarkable for GB. We had a really great Games in Beijing, and a lot of people (me included) worried that we'd peaked 4 years too soon and that we'd struggle to match, let alone beat the Beijing result.

It's all the more remarkable when I think of all the GB athletes who were considered almost certainties for gold and yet got no medal at all - Mark Cavendish, Philips Idowu, Kerri-Anne Payne, Helen Jenkins etc. I hope Mark Cavendish makes a return to the track for Rio 2016, as he deserves a gold medal and is really the only top-class British cyclist not to have one.

Congratulations to the US, the athletes and the coaches. 104 medals, definitely something to be proud of.

XeniaCasaraghi said:
I might make some angry with this, but I am going by the ranking of overall medals, not amount of gold medals. If Russia 66 vs Gbs 65 I would give #3 to the later. But 82 vs 65, which is almost 20 ahead! I have to give agree with NBC and give #3 to Russia. I guess thats just me being an American again.

I am with you on this. I've gone with total # of medals vs how many gold and I think that's how CTV here in Canada does it (I think!). 66 medals is more than 65 medals irregardless of how many golds either team have. Nevertheless, both are great acheivements!

A Belorussian shot putter has had her gold medal taken away because she failed her drug test. I guess she took her presidents message to heart when he told the Belorus Olympic team that winning was the only thing that counts.
Her gold medal now goes to NZ.
Drug test samples are retained for 8 years and will continue to be retested as testing methods improve.

A Belorussian shot putter has had her gold medal taken away because she failed her drug test. I guess she took her presidents message to heart when he told the Belorus Olympic team that winning was the only thing that counts.
Her gold medal now goes to NZ.
Drug test samples are retained for 8 years and will continue to be retested as testing methods improve.

Now this wasn't a surprise...
Belarus shot putter Nadzeya Ostapchuk stripped of Olympic gold for doping - CBS News

Back
Top Bottom