The Royal Forums Coat of Arms


Join The Royal Forums Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
  #281  
Old 08-06-2012, 01:54 PM
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Toronto (ON) & London (UK), Canada
Posts: 5,260
I believe the locals were concerned about damage being done to the park but secured guarantees from the organizers that everything will be put back as it was before the Games. 50,000 people each day and a lot of horses could do a fair bit of damage to the parkland. For eventing the organizers had wanted to cut or trim a couple of trees but that was not allowed. Greenwich is London's oldest royal park so people are very protective of it.
__________________

__________________
Reply With Quote
  #282  
Old 08-06-2012, 01:56 PM
Lumutqueen's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Carlton, York, United Kingdom
Posts: 17,167
Quote:
Originally Posted by EIIR

I agree, Artemisia, the newly 'Royal' borough of Greenwich is a wonderful stage for the equestrian events. The residents in Greenwich were massively opposed to having the equestrian events there, not sure why. Any locals know what the problem was?

The equestrian events in 2008 were actually held in Hong Kong, over 1,000 miles from Beijing, where everything else was happening. The competitors said they felt kind of cut off from the rest of the Games, so London 2012 wanted to rectify that, which I think they have.

Thanks for this picture too, it's now my desktop picture .
This might help, http://www.nogoe2012.com/ :) I was so confused when the commentators this afternoon kept saying they won gold or silver at Hong Kong and I was like when was that Olympics? I had to look it up.
__________________

__________________
We Will Remember Them.
Reply With Quote
  #283  
Old 08-06-2012, 02:03 PM
EIIR's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Somewhere, United Kingdom
Posts: 2,624
Fair enough, I suppose. Thanks for the insight. I hope it doesn't have a long-term detrimental impact on the park. I have to say, as a non-Londoner, the equestrian events have been a real boon for Greenwich, as some of the pictures and backdrops have been really stunning. It makes me want to visit the next time I'm in London, which hadn't really interested me before this.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #284  
Old 08-06-2012, 02:10 PM
FasterB's Avatar
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Copenhagen, Denmark
Posts: 1,097
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post
It's only that because they rounded it down. He did a 9:64 and they altered it.
How and why do they do that?
__________________
Where charity and love are, God is there.
Reply With Quote
  #285  
Old 08-06-2012, 02:18 PM
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Heerlen, Netherlands
Posts: 1,166
Quote:
Originally Posted by FasterB View Post
How and why do they do that?
time correction, this occasionally happens in sports where achievements are measured in time (like track, swimming etc)
so it's not like they alter a time to make it look better or something :-)
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #286  
Old 08-06-2012, 02:32 PM
FasterB's Avatar
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Copenhagen, Denmark
Posts: 1,097
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee-Z View Post
time correction, this occasionally happens in sports where achievements are measured in time (like track, swimming etc)
so it's not like they alter a time to make it look better or something :-)
But it sure looks that way

Just to understand: The clock starts, they run - reach goal, the clock stops.
What can go wrong? That some officials starts the clocks different or?
__________________
Where charity and love are, God is there.
Reply With Quote
  #287  
Old 08-06-2012, 02:39 PM
Lumutqueen's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Carlton, York, United Kingdom
Posts: 17,167
Quote:
Originally Posted by FasterB
But it sure looks that way

Just to understand: The clock starts, they run - reach goal, the clock stops.
What can go wrong? That some officials starts the clocks different or?
If you watch the race, the clock stops at 9:64 but there's a notice about +1.5 something that I don't understand. The race finished at 9:64.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/olympics/18907995
__________________
We Will Remember Them.
Reply With Quote
  #288  
Old 08-06-2012, 02:49 PM
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Heerlen, Netherlands
Posts: 1,166
Quote:
Originally Posted by FasterB View Post
But it sure looks that way

Just to understand: The clock starts, they run - reach goal, the clock stops.
What can go wrong? That some officials starts the clocks different or?
because clocks are never 100% accurate (neither are most other measuring devices for that matter), so often a correction of 0.01 second happens, sometimes even 0.02, more is not very common in todays sports.
i once watched an ice speed skating competition were they very proudly announced a better timing system, which resulted in skaters crossing the line and the clock stopping until 2 entire seconds later :-) And they insisted it was actually better that way :-) Never saw that since, so I guess there was room for improvement after all :-)

maybe an interesting link: "Time measurement in sports not reliable" ~ Sportitch
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #289  
Old 08-06-2012, 03:02 PM
Lumutqueen's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Carlton, York, United Kingdom
Posts: 17,167
So if clocks aren't accurate (which somehow I doubt), why isn't every time altered? Just Bolts.

Alex Schwazer (Italian) who won gold in Beijing for 50km walk tested positive for drugs and admitted the entire thing claiming it was the end of his career.
__________________
We Will Remember Them.
Reply With Quote
  #290  
Old 08-06-2012, 03:14 PM
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Heerlen, Netherlands
Posts: 1,166
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post
So if clocks aren't accurate (which somehow I doubt), why isn't every time altered? Just Bolts.

Alex Schwazer (Italian) who won gold in Beijing for 50km walk tested positive for drugs and admitted the entire thing claiming it was the end of his career.
it wasn't just Bolt, on the past days there have been more times corrected
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #291  
Old 08-06-2012, 03:33 PM
Empress Merel's Avatar
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: -, Netherlands
Posts: 1,259
Quote:
Originally Posted by EIIR View Post
Fair enough, I suppose. Thanks for the insight. I hope it doesn't have a long-term detrimental impact on the park. I have to say, as a non-Londoner, the equestrian events have been a real boon for Greenwich, as some of the pictures and backdrops have been really stunning. It makes me want to visit the next time I'm in London, which hadn't really interested me before this.
They really put London' must-see's on the map these Games. The Beachvolleyball stadium has a stunning location aswell.

And the Dutch hockey ladies beat the British girls. It was a good win for us, but they can do loads better.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #292  
Old 08-06-2012, 03:47 PM
EIIR's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Somewhere, United Kingdom
Posts: 2,624
The beach volleyball is being held at Horse Guards Parade in Whitehall, which is, of course, where the Queen's Birthday Parade is held every year (good old Trooping the Colour).

The weather's actually pretty stormy across the UK at the moment, we've seen some really interesting skies.

This has to be my favourite image from the Games so far, though. The moon becomes a sixth Olympic ring, joining the rings hanging under Tower Bridge in London.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #293  
Old 08-06-2012, 03:52 PM
An Ard Ri's Avatar
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Westmeath, Ireland
Posts: 9,511
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemisia View Post
The Netherlands fought really well and wow to Saudi Arabia.
A beautiful picture of the Greenwich Park, the venue for Equestrian. Really quite stunning.
Wow that's simply an amazing photo Artemisia!
__________________
November 2nd, 1938-Birth of H.M.Queen Sofia of Spain
Reply With Quote
  #294  
Old 08-06-2012, 03:53 PM
LadyFinn's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Southwest, Finland
Posts: 16,038
Fantastic, dominican Felix Sanchez, 34 years, won just men's 400m hurdles. Another olympic gold for him, the first came from Athens.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #295  
Old 08-06-2012, 04:27 PM
Lumutqueen's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Carlton, York, United Kingdom
Posts: 17,167
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyFinn
Fantastic, dominican Felix Sanchez, 34 years, won just men's 400m hurdles. Another olympic gold for him, the first came from Athens.
He's crying his eyes out on the podium. It was so moving!
__________________
We Will Remember Them.
Reply With Quote
  #296  
Old 08-06-2012, 04:36 PM
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Philadelphia, United States
Posts: 2,236
I don't mind the attention given to any of the RF, but I have to admit I'm really sick of the coverage given to Michael Phelps! I know it sounds mean but ....why not give somebody else a chance?
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #297  
Old 08-06-2012, 04:39 PM
FasterB's Avatar
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Copenhagen, Denmark
Posts: 1,097
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post
If you watch the race, the clock stops at 9:64 but there's a notice about +1.5 something that I don't understand. The race finished at 9:64.
BBC Sport - Usain Bolt wins Olympics 100m final at London 2012
I just saw that today on the review in danish television and quite funny they said 9:63 and the time shows 9:64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee-Z View Post
because clocks are never 100% accurate (neither are most other measuring devices for that matter), so often a correction of 0.01 second happens, sometimes even 0.02, more is not very common in todays sports.
i once watched an ice speed skating competition were they very proudly announced a better timing system, which resulted in skaters crossing the line and the clock stopping until 2 entire seconds later :-) And they insisted it was actually better that way :-) Never saw that since, so I guess there was room for improvement after all :-)

maybe an interesting link: "Time measurement in sports not reliable" ~ Sportitch
Thank you for the explanation
__________________
Where charity and love are, God is there.
Reply With Quote
  #298  
Old 08-06-2012, 04:42 PM
RubyPrincess168's Avatar
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Sun Prairie, United States
Posts: 1,619
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirabel View Post
I don't mind the attention given to any of the RF, but I have to admit I'm really sick of the coverage given to Michael Phelps! I know it sounds mean but ....why not give somebody else a chance?
I have to agree. Every USA swimmer I see interviewed gets asked about MP, or he's mentioned at least 2 or 3 times. There are other people on the team you know!
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #299  
Old 08-06-2012, 04:49 PM
Lumutqueen's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Carlton, York, United Kingdom
Posts: 17,167
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirabel
I don't mind the attention given to any of the RF, but I have to admit I'm really sick of the coverage given to Michael Phelps! I know it sounds mean but ....why not give somebody else a chance?
Quote:
Originally Posted by RubyPrincess168

I have to agree. Every USA swimmer I see interviewed gets asked about MP, or he's mentioned at least 2 or 3 times. There are other people on the team you know!
You know what most amuses me about MP he's currently appearing on an anti dandruff advert in the UK (not sure if you get it in the USA) and he talks about how he needs music and no dandruff to win a race. I just have to laugh!
__________________
We Will Remember Them.
Reply With Quote
  #300  
Old 08-06-2012, 04:53 PM
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: New Orleans, United States
Posts: 1,088
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirabel
I don't mind the attention given to any of the RF, but I have to admit I'm really sick of the coverage given to Michael Phelps! I know it sounds mean but ....why not give somebody else a chance?
He is one of the greatest athletes ever seen on the international stage, and has been for the past eight years. It's a big deal!

I understand that others don't get as much attention, but then again others haven't won 21 medals.
__________________

__________________
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





Popular Tags
abdication belgium birth brussels carl philip charlene chris o'neill crown prince frederik crown prince haakon crown princess mary crown princess mette-marit crown princess victoria current events engagement fashion genealogy grand duchess maria teresa grand duke henri hohenzollern infanta leonor infanta sofia jewellery jordan king carl xvi gustav king felipe king felipe vi king harald king juan carlos king philippe king willem-alexander luxembourg nobility official visit olympics ottoman pieter van vollenhoven president komorowski prince albert prince albert ii prince carl philip prince constantijn prince floris prince pieter-christiaan princess aimee princess anita princess beatrix princess charlene princess claire princess laurentien princess mabel princess margriet princess mary princess mary fashion queen letizia queen mathilde queen maxima queen rania queen silvia queen sofia royal royal fashion russia sofia hellqvist spain state visit sweden the hague visit wedding winter olympics 2014



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:37 PM.

Social Knowledge Networks

eXTReMe Tracker
Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2014
Jelsoft Enterprises

Royal News Delivered to your Email!

You can get the latest Royal News right in your inbox.

unsusbcribe at anytime with one click

Close [X]