The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and Family

Join The Royal Forums Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
  #281  
Old 05-13-2009, 11:39 AM
Courtier
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: -, Ireland
Posts: 629
Can't really see the big deal personally, unless he starts taking about Kate and William while doing interviews he is simply taking all the attention he can get to promote his business. He's not the first person who got publicity because of who he knows and won't be the last.

Quote:
It's the usual cheap self promotion this family has come up with and not for the first time, as Little_star said
Besides James's article in Tatler about his business what else has there been?
__________________

__________________
Reply With Quote
  #282  
Old 05-13-2009, 12:00 PM
Duke of Marmalade's Avatar
Majesty
TRF Author
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Frankfurt am Main, Germany
Posts: 8,864
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amelia View Post
Can't really see the big deal personally, unless he starts taking about Kate and William while doing interviews he is simply taking all the attention he can get to promote his business. He's not the first person who got publicity because of who he knows and won't be the last.
Using his sister's tabloid fame to promote the own bakery business is not exactly "discreet", something that the Middletons are often praised for.

Quote:
Besides James's article in Tatler about his business what else has there been?
Pippa appeared in Hello! several times promote her image as "socialite" and lateron regarding her working for a catering service and I am not even getting into the Party Pieces topic.
__________________

__________________
Reply With Quote
  #283  
Old 05-13-2009, 12:28 PM
Courtier
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: -, Ireland
Posts: 629

I disagree, as I said I don't see it as a big deal as long as he is talking about cakes and not Kate or William in his interview.

I didn't know Pippa was interviewed by Hello! but as I said about James as long as she doesn't talk about her sister or her relationship then I really don't care.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #284  
Old 05-13-2009, 02:49 PM
Wisteria's Avatar
Courtier
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Maidenhead, United Kingdom
Posts: 632
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amelia View Post

I disagree, as I said I don't see it as a big deal as long as he is talking about cakes and not Kate or William in his interview.

I didn't know Pippa was interviewed by Hello! but as I said about James as long as she doesn't talk about her sister or her relationship then I really don't care.
He isn´t out to promote his sister, he wants to sell his cakes. The other people mention his sister and he just smiles, as the old cliché goes "all the way to the bank".
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #285  
Old 05-13-2009, 04:00 PM
Idriel's Avatar
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: around, France
Posts: 1,130
I find it incredibly naive to believe that he isn't exploiting his sister's private life.

Hello has obviously been nurturing a loving relationship with the Middletons and it has paid off: Kate has posed exclusively for them, both James and Pippa have given them exclusive interviews and they even get the occasional scoop.
In return, the Middletons get fawning reports and free publicity for their commercial ventures.
All the while, they still come off smelling like roses with members of this board getting over themselves to defend them.

Win/win all around!
__________________

Reply With Quote
  #286  
Old 05-13-2009, 04:38 PM
Courtier
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: -, Ireland
Posts: 629
Hello give one type of report and that's fawning. Everything is good, everyone is so beautiful,happy and so very in love. That is what Hello is about and everyone who buys it know this.

As for James he sells or makes or does whatever with cakes. Hello asked him to bake some cakes. Would they have asked if he wasn't Kate's brother? Probably not, but he is her brother so they asked him and he, having the sense not to turn down the free publicity, accepted. As long as he doesn't start talking about his sister and her relationship then he can bake as many cakes for all the magazines in the UK as he likes as far as I'm concerned. I don't care what he does, I don't care what Pippa does and I don't care what their parents do because they are not in a relationship with William, Kate is.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #287  
Old 05-13-2009, 04:57 PM
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: ***, United States
Posts: 16,896
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke of Marmalade View Post
Kate's brother James landed a major promo-story for his bakery business in this week's Hello! by doing 21 cakes with Hello! front cover stories from the last 21 years.

Of course when asked whether he would produce the wedding cake for his sister and Prince William he just smiled ... and yes, now everybody knows that James can do fancy cakes. Should be worth something in credit crunch times.

HELLO! - The place for daily celebrity news - hellomagazine.com
Having looked at his website, I seriously doubt he's up to doing royal wedding cakes. He sells cake decorating kits, not decorated wedding cakes, and he isn't a master baker or anywhere near. What a bloody stupid question to ask him.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #288  
Old 05-13-2009, 05:06 PM
Wisteria's Avatar
Courtier
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Maidenhead, United Kingdom
Posts: 632

This would be perfectly true if it were an ordinary relationship, but we are talking about the heir to the UK throne and his perhaps future family-in-law and that surely makes a difference. Of course if his sister´s dating the future king and that sells his cakes and he makes a lot of money then I suppose he is very happy about it. If it weren´t for his sister he would be a nobody and probably people wouldn´t even like the taste of his cakes.
He is profitting from the fame of his sister but I suppose, even though I disapprove, I can understand it.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #289  
Old 05-13-2009, 05:18 PM
Commoner
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Richmond, United States
Posts: 20
I am confused why anyone would be upset because Hello ask James Middleton to bake cakes and he did. So what? A lot of you folks only trash this family because you guys hate the fact that Kate is dating William . As Amelia said he is not talking about the royal family he is not talking about Kate relationship with William . He is talking about his business .So what if he gets free publicity ,who on this website would not accept free publicity for there business . God knows this family get trashed enough because of who his sister date , so why and enjoy free publicity for his business because of who is sister dates.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #290  
Old 05-13-2009, 05:34 PM
Roslyn's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Tintenbar, Australia
Posts: 2,790
I agree with Amelia and Annette on this. With the proviso he does not talk about the Royals or the relationship, I see no reason why he should not take advantage of the fact people are intersted in him because of Kate. It's free publicity for his business, and I think he'd be silly not to take advantage of these opportunities.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #291  
Old 05-13-2009, 05:46 PM
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: ***, United States
Posts: 16,896
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roslyn View Post
I agree with Amelia and Annette on this. With the proviso he does not talk about the Royals or the relationship, I see no reason why he should not take advantage of the fact people are intersted in him because of Kate. It's free publicity for his business, and I think he'd be silly not to take advantage of these opportunities.
I dunno...I mean, I'm sure he knows he wouldn't be getting these opportunities if not for his sister's connection with the royal family, and that Hello isn't interested in him for his own sweet sake, but where the royals are concerned there's something to be said for a gracious "thanks but no thanks." When her family are seen to be cashing in like this it increases the feelings that the whole lot of them are taking advantage and it tends to rebound unfavourably on Kate. With so many people already queuing up to throw rocks at Kate for being a tasteless vulgar common or garden gold-digger, this sort of thing isn't helpful to her.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #292  
Old 05-13-2009, 06:25 PM
Ella Kay's Avatar
Courtier
Royal Blogger
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Anywhere, United States
Posts: 952
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elspeth View Post
I dunno...I mean, I'm sure he knows he wouldn't be getting these opportunities if not for his sister's connection with the royal family, and that Hello isn't interested in him for his own sweet sake, but where the royals are concerned there's something to be said for a gracious "thanks but no thanks." When her family are seen to be cashing in like this it increases the feelings that the whole lot of them are taking advantage and it tends to rebound unfavourably on Kate. With so many people already queuing up to throw rocks at Kate for being a tasteless vulgar common or garden gold-digger, this sort of thing isn't helpful to her.
I tend to agree, Elspeth. I'm sure it would be difficult to turn down what is essentially free publicity for a budding new business, but the more the family appears in the press, the more criticism Kate gets.

It would do well for all of them to follow her example and shun the spotlight until the situation is resolved, either with an engagement (as I expect there will be eventually) or with the end of the relationship.
__________________

"I have to be seen to be believed."
HM The Queen
Reply With Quote
  #293  
Old 05-13-2009, 06:37 PM
Roslyn's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Tintenbar, Australia
Posts: 2,790
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elspeth View Post
I dunno...I mean, I'm sure he knows he wouldn't be getting these opportunities if not for his sister's connection with the royal family, and that Hello isn't interested in him for his own sweet sake, but where the royals are concerned there's something to be said for a gracious "thanks but no thanks." When her family are seen to be cashing in like this it increases the feelings that the whole lot of them are taking advantage and it tends to rebound unfavourably on Kate. With so many people already queuing up to throw rocks at Kate for being a tasteless vulgar common or garden gold-digger, this sort of thing isn't helpful to her.
You make very good points.

It would be nice to be able to take the high ground and say, "no comment", but if you are starting a business it would be hard to say no to free publicity. The Middletons don't seek publicity, they are hunted out by the press, and I don't think it's fair for Kate to be penalised and her relationship with William jeopardised because her family members don't tell the vultures to naff off.

I wonder what she really thinks about it, and whether they consult her about it.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #294  
Old 05-13-2009, 07:58 PM
Mermaid1962's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: NearTheCoast, Canada
Posts: 5,272
Not naive, no. And I'm not falling all over myself to defend him. James doesn't impress me much based on his previous behaviour.

I agree with what Elspeth says, he should be more careful. OTOH I don't think that it's immoral for him to appear in HELLO.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Idriel View Post
I find it incredibly naive to believe that he isn't exploiting his sister's private life.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #295  
Old 05-14-2009, 02:38 AM
Wisteria's Avatar
Courtier
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Maidenhead, United Kingdom
Posts: 632
I think it would be a terrible shame if Kate´s family spoil such a long standing romance, which hopefully will end in marriage, by their seemingly money and spotlight grabbing behaviour. The only really discreet person in the family seems to be the father and since the criticism her mother received after her appearance at Sandhurst, she seems to have definitely tried to keep in the background, except for that very foolish statement she made about probably no marriage would take place. Of course, we don´t know if she really said this or not.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #296  
Old 05-14-2009, 03:58 AM
muriel's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: London / Guildford, United Kingdom
Posts: 5,284
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idriel View Post
Hello has obviously been nurturing a loving relationship with the Middletons and it has paid off: Kate has posed exclusively for them, both James and Pippa have given them exclusive interviews and they even get the occasional scoop.
Maybe I missed this one. When did Kate pose exclusively for Hello?
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #297  
Old 05-14-2009, 04:37 AM
Duke of Marmalade's Avatar
Majesty
TRF Author
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Frankfurt am Main, Germany
Posts: 8,864
Quote:
Originally Posted by muriel View Post
Maybe I missed this one. When did Kate pose exclusively for Hello?
Kate did an exclusive when participating in the sisterhood project, incl cover. It backfired big time because she was shown carefully styled with full make up on the boat in her position as a cox, like a warrior princess in the middle ages, directing the rowing girls who were covered in sweat and looked nothing but exhausted. Only days after the publication Kate left the project probably due to the resulting polemic.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #298  
Old 05-14-2009, 04:48 AM
Courtier
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 802
Hello magazine sponsored the female boat in the dragon boat race that Kate agreed to be part of the crew. Part of the deal with Hello was exclusive pictures of the crew and an interview, not done by Kate but the other crew members. Kate was in full makeup, hardly styled, her hair was in a ponytail, the other crew members were also made up, not sweaty and exhausted. She didn't leave days after the photos and article came out, it was later as the publicity was reaching fever pitch with her and there was concern over the amount of photographer boats who would follow the dragon boat on the open sea. Dragon boats aren't stable and a large amount of boats and their wake could cause them to capsize. Kate pulled out over safety issues, the mass media didn't bother to follow the race afterwards, although Hello magazine did and came through and published photos of the race and crews ( there was a male members boat as competition, they won) The Hello sponsorship went towards the money the Sisterhood team raised which went to the charity Birthright. Raising money for this charity was the reason this dragon boat race across the channel was created.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #299  
Old 05-14-2009, 05:15 AM
Duke of Marmalade's Avatar
Majesty
TRF Author
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Frankfurt am Main, Germany
Posts: 8,864

well of course everybody is entitled to an own interpretation about why the sisterhood project went wrong for kate.

the only reason why hello was interested in the story is because kate became a team member, ready to do exclusive pictures - to answer muriel's question.

obviously the middleton family likes hello's courting what is not helpful in the big picture - see elspeth's post.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #300  
Old 05-14-2009, 06:11 AM
Courtier
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 802
It's not my interpretation as to why the sisterhood project didn't work out, but rather the interview that the organiser of the sisterhood boat gave. She was the one who explained about the safety concerns, initially they had planned on having an exclusion zone around the dragon boat on the open sea but there was no real way to enforce that.
Yes Hello only became interested once Kate joined the team, but then that's why she was asked to participate ( information from interview of team leader) in the first place. She would bring publicity and sponsorship that in turn would highlight the charity that was the beneficiary as well as more money which was the reason for doing the race, it was a fundraiser. It was a case of harnessing press interest in Kate for a good cause, or in James Middleton's case, interest in his family to promote his business. ( Win, win each use each other)
Hello magazine writes fluffy pieces on everyone, the Middletons are no different. It's not a magazine that does hard hitting, critical journalism, that's how too they get the exclusives they do, their subjects know it won't be a hatchet job. The first issue of Hello magazine Princess Anne was the cover girl and there was an interview with her inside. ( All posed and styled!)
__________________

__________________
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
duchess of cambridge, kate, kate middleton, middleton family, prince william, wealth


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





Popular Tags
belgium brussels carl philip charlene chris o'neill crown prince frederik crown princess mary crown princess mette-marit crown princess victoria current events engagement fashion genealogy germany grand duke henri hohenzollern infanta sofia jordan king carl xvi gustav king felipe king felipe vi king harald king juan carlos king philippe king willem-alexander letizia luxembourg nobility official visit olympics ottoman pieter van vollenhoven poland president hollande president komorowski prince albert prince albert ii prince carl philip prince constantijn prince daniel prince floris prince pieter-christiaan princess aimee princess alexia (2005 -) princess anita princess beatrix princess charlene princess laurentien princess madeleine princess margriet princess marilene princess mary princess mary fashion queen fabiola queen letizia queen mathilde queen maxima queen rania queen silvia queen sofia royal royal fashion russia sofia hellqvist spain state visit sweden the hague wedding winter olympics 2014



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:04 PM.

Social Knowledge Networks

eXTReMe Tracker
Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2014
Jelsoft Enterprises

Royal News Delivered to your Email!

You can get the latest Royal News right in your inbox.

unsusbcribe at anytime with one click

Close [X]