UN Climate Change Conference (COP15) in Copenhagen: December 7-18, 2009

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I was under the impression you were referring to the language used by the Scandinavian 'family' (Denmark, Sweden & Norway) when they are together. Hence my response...;):)

I'm not aware of what happened at the Nobel Prize as I didn't watch the live streaming.

I didn't find it odd. Probably to do with the lighting from above which when standing underneath, can blind a person from seeing little more than a few feet or so in front of them.

Mary did stumble a little more than I would have anticipated. To me, it seems as though she still gets a little nervous. Endearing on one hand, not an overlly great habit to allow oneself to form when you are a public figure.

I did. I supposed it was intended to be an icebreaker but didn't work at all. It sounded rather desperate than natural. In general the whole speech was far from natural. I cannot judge Mary in Danish but I was disappointed what she produced in English, her native language. The wording was pretty overblown, she obviously wants to get rid of her aussie accent (which is natural and I like) in favour of "stiff upper lip" British English, not to mention that she stumbled through the speech. To not get "sustainable" right is ok, but there were at least three or four more occasions where I thought, well, somebody wrote it for Mary and because it's in her native language = a no brainer, she didn't bother much to practise or read through it properly before the event. Not well prepared at all but I do like her voice.

How long is Cp Victoria and CP Haakon staying in Copenhagen or have they already returned home? if they are staying or did stay overnight would they have stayed with CP Frederik and CP Mary.

It was a bit embarrassing for the interviewer to call Haakon, Crown Princess, although as we are not all perfect we can all have a bad day I guess.

It sounded rather desperate than natural.

Can't say that was my interpretation. Light hearted, yes. Desperate? that makes little sense to me.

In general the whole speech was far from natural. I cannot judge Mary in Danish but I was disappointed what she produced in English, her native language. The wording was pretty overblown, she obviously wants to get rid of her aussie accent (which is natural and I like) in favour of "stiff upper lip" British English, not to mention that she stumbled through the speech. To not get "sustainable" right is ok, but there were at least three or four more occasions where I thought, well, somebody wrote it for Mary and because it's in her native language = a no brainer, she didn't bother much to practise or read through it properly before the event. Not well prepared at all but I do like her voice.

She obviously wants to get rid of her Australian accent? As is your opinion of course ;)

To me the Crown Princess sounds quite naturally Australian when she speaks, if not accompanied by a slight Danish lilt. Her english accent doesn't appear to have altered very much (to me) these past four or so years.

I acknowledge she attempts to articulate each letter in every word, and in the process seems to stumble on occasion. I can't say I've noticed anything that coulde be considered a "stiff upper lip", in either her demeanor or when she talks. She has quite the charming voice. Delicate even.

I agree with the likeliness of the speech having been written for Mary. To me, that too was quite evident. I personally percieve her to get a little nervous when reading aloud infront of such an audience, though it's also entirely possible she didn't revise over it like she should have given it was written in her native tongue. I can't say, but I certainly noticed the errors and only hope she betters her public speaking as I'm hopefull she shall.

Denmark Crown Prince, Haakon of Norway and Crown Princess Victoria of Sweden at a climate event i Forum, Copenhagen, Denmark.

PPE Gallery

How long is Cp Victoria and CP Haakon staying in Copenhagen or have they already returned home? if they are staying or did stay overnight would they have stayed with CP Frederik and CP Mary.

It was a bit embarrassing for the interviewer to call Haakon, Crown Princess, although as we are not all perfect we can all have a bad day I guess.

Victoria is attending the conference from the 12th-15th. I couldn't find dates for Haakon. I presume they would stay with Frederik and Mary. :)

The wording was pretty overblown, she obviously wants to get rid of her aussie accent (which is natural and I like) in favour of "stiff upper lip" British English, not to mention that she stumbled through the speech.

She certainly doesn't have a stiff upper lip accent, she sounds more relaxed, natural, more aussie than danish yes, but not english.
I imagine she'd try for a danish accent not a british one. :)

Can't say that was my interpretation. Light hearted, yes. Desperate? that makes little sense to me.

She obviously wants to get rid of her Australian accent? As is your opinion of course ;)

To me the Crown Princess sounds quite naturally Australian when she speaks, if not accompanied by a slight Danish lilt. Her english accent doesn't appear to have altered very much (to me) these past four or so years.

I acknowledge she attempts to articulate each letter in every word, and in the process seems to stumble on occasion. I can't say I've noticed anything that coulde be considered a "stiff upper lip", in either her demeanor or when she talks. She has quite the charming voice. Delicate even.

I agree with the likeliness of the speech having been written for Mary. To me, that too was quite evident. I personally percieve her to get a little nervous when reading aloud infront of such an audience, though it's also entirely possible she didn't revise over it like she should have given it was written in her native tongue. I can't say, but I certainly noticed the errors and only hope she betters her public speaking as I'm hopefull she shall.

Well, I think is natural, that even though, english is her native tongue she hasn't been in an english enviroment in a long time, ergo she lost "practice" of Australian english. I have seen this happen before, for instance a relative of my husband was born mexican lived her all his life but moved to the US about 20 years ago, and now he speaks funny. When he comes visit it takes him a few days to get used to our accent and eventhough there is something odd about the way he talks. I'm guessing this is what happened to Mary, cause for what she has said, she mostly talks in Danish almost all day even with her kids.

About the stumbling, it could happen to all of us in any presentation!. I think you are more suceptible to it in your native tongue cause you don't have to be so aware of the words as you do in a foreign language, actually I think you even use different parts of the brain. My guess here too is that she got a bit nervous when she first stumbled or didn't listen to herself doing well and got nervous.

Not a good day for Mary with the much discussed outfit and the stumbling, but is wonderful to have videos of her

They look very happy together. :flowers: Always nice to see them together.

I saw the video of the interview and I couldn't believe the way the interviewer kept committing gaffes. I think the best course of action would have been to either apologize quickly after the "crown princess" gaffe or continue on with the interview as if nothing had happened. To make senseless jokes after the first one, IMO only compounded the situation for him. I kept thinking "somebody stop him before he puts his foot in his mouth yet again."

It is indeed to Haakon's credit that he remained cool and calm throughout and even laughed at those absurd jokes.

Well,another present! This are the moments when I really envy Royals:p

Prince Frederik and his electric car called Karma by Henrik Fisker - he has chosen this car as his official car during COP15.
PPE Agency

Last edited:
Britain's Prince Charles speaks at the opening session of the high-level
segment of the UN Climate Change Conference 2009 and talks to
delegates in Copenhagen December 15, 2009.

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** Pic 3 ** Pic 4 **

Prince Charles really looks in his element here. :flowers:

Are there any pictures of Joachim and Marie attending this conference?

Meanwhile in Copenhagen,they should really do their very best not have a result of "Floppenhagen" instead.There's no guarantee for a deal at all.A missed change as so much could have been reached in the past few days.The Chair of the conference has stepped down overnight,totally incapable of pulling anything through she is now replaced by Danish PM Rasmussen.Things are not going smoothly there,not in the conference,and not in the streets.But the latter was expected with such a high profile event.

BBC News - Protesters march on Copenhagen summit

Last edited:

You also have to keep in mind that Copenhagen has "Christiania",a huge and once beautifull complex that was squatted decades ago and since a home for ardent protesters for the sake of protesting and they have their global counterparts with them who travelled to Copenhagen,emitting CO2 in the process and heck knows what else,to demonstrate along.No really,the Christiania squatters crowd is well known for it's ultra left and violent past.They lead most of the demo's during the day and smoke themselves silly with pot overnight till they see cross eyed.Yeah,well,though luck,you're bound to be banged over the head and get arrested for going totally out of controle and trying to seize the conference center.

Obviously this was bound to happen at the conference, but I want to know what the politicians can give the protestors to shut them up?
They are trying, they keep trying, but yet they still get heckled, this events still happen.

This conference will not solve Global warming over night, thats impossible. :)

You also have to keep in mind that Copenhagen has "Christiania",a huge and once beautifull complex that was squatted decades ago and since a home for ardent protesters for the sake of protesting and they have their global counterparts with them who travelled to Copenhagen,emitting CO2 in the process and heck knows what else,to demonstrate along.No really,the Christiania squatters crowd is well known for it's ultra left and violent past.They lead most of the demo's during the day and smoke themselves silly with pot overnight till they see cross eyed.Yeah,well,though luck,you're bound to be banged over the head and get arrested for going totally out of controle and trying to seize the conference center.
I love your post lucien, always! I wonder,,, did Prince Charles the ardent enviromentalist use that darn private super jet again...to get to Denmark?;)

I love your post lucien, always! I wonder,,, did Prince Charles the ardent enviromentalist use that darn private super jet again...to get to Denmark?;)

I didn't know he had a super jet, the royal family don't have a private plane like Air Force one, he probs flew first class on a normal flight to denmark. :)

Wow, this must be a really cold evening in Copenhagen :flowers:
I like how Marie is dressed.

Its snowing. :flowers:
All the family looks beautiful.

The ladies looked lovely. A few poppies came out to play too. Looks wonderfully cold!

Charles has already returned to England so he'll be a 'no show' for the Banquet this evening. A shame really, as he seldomely participates with any royal related function on the continent (takes after his mother in that respect). In saying this, he was invited only to talk at the conference it would appear.

One thing I've come to notice though, is that when the BRF are invited to the continent by their 'cousins', they send a substitute replacement of lesser, though still royal, precedence. When the BRF invite the 'continent' across the channel, namely the most senior royals attend (either a King, Queen, Crown Prince or Crown Princess).

When the BRF invite the 'continent' across the channel, namely the most senior royals attend (either a King, Queen, Crown Prince or Crown Princess).

I think this may be out of respect for Queen Elizabeth II being the longest reigning monarch in Europe.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom