The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Royal Highlights > Royal House of Fashion > Archives

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 06-11-2011, 03:44 PM
Aristocracy

Not that I don't like the clothes that she has been wearing, but I think she needs to be more adventurous with color, everthing has been black, white, cream, etc. You can wear color without having it be like saying "look at me"! I think Kate looks good in colors like blue, green, and purple. I just hope she adds more variation color-wise to her wardrobe, even more so if she attends ascot.

Old 06-11-2011, 03:53 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mia_mae View Post
Kate is stunning, this dress flatters her perfect figure, and I like her allure. As for her sister like the color and the baggy cut of her coat.

That's funny how now some medias mention first Pippa, and Kate as her sister, still don't understand what they find on her, sorry but Kate is 1000x more beautiful and she's anyway the star :~)

Old 06-11-2011, 04:13 PM
Royal Highness

I like outfit from Trooping the Color, cut of the coat is amazing. Black&white is always good combination.
Wedding outfit is not that interesting. For me this dress is not enough festive for such a occasion. Black accessories are doing nothing to make whole look more eye-catching. Overall safe but boring.
But I'm waiting for tomorrow.
Old 06-11-2011, 04:21 PM
Heir Presumptive

I like the Trooping of the Colour outfit. Classic and understated. Kate doesn't need "color" to stand out, she does that already by being the new addition in the firm. The McQueen jacket is amazing. Hope to see it more often when fall/winter arrive.
Old 06-11-2011, 04:29 PM
Majesty

I think Catherine looked rather well for Trooping the Colour. I'm not a hat person, but I'm rather partial to the one she had on today. It went with the rest of the outfit.

I'm not obsessed with royalty...I just think intensely about it.
Old 06-11-2011, 04:29 PM
Nobility

Kate has such strong coloring that neutrals are very good, and classy, on her. Bold colors will fight for attention. She's so amazingly attractive that she can be understated and still command plenty of notice. It was wise of her to be understated when she's with the rest of the royals...
Old 06-11-2011, 04:37 PM
Courtier

It's interesting reading through all of the comments on Catherine's style, and I find I'm often reminded of the feelings I have when I'm reading the CP Victoria threads. The same comments are made over and over time and again. With CP Victoria, everyone is "tired of the ponytail," and wish for something different. With Catherine, it's constantly the same things, more color, different hair, less eyeliner.

Personally I think both women look great, and considering the amount of time they spend "on display" for the public, they need to feel comfortable. They're under immense pressure from the public to present themselves in a very specific light, one misstep and their names are in the papers for weeks... If creams and neutrals are what Catherine feels comfortable with, as she transitions into her new role, then who are we to criticize? She has years to make a splash and to make mistakes, but if it were me, these early days, when the interest is far more intense (because lets face it, she's the new sparkly diamond of the BRF), then it's smart to play it safe and stay in what's left of her comfort zone.

Both outfits from to day were a smash in my book. The Trooping jacket is gorgeous, I may need to go on the hunt...
Old 06-11-2011, 04:55 PM
Administrator

Well said Britters.

Its about what Catherine feels comfortable with. Maybe at some point she will be comfortable and adventureous and start to experiment with her clothing....and than maybe not.

Her job is to be comfortable, do her royal engagements, support William and the BRF and provide heirs. And not in any particular order.

Maybe its just me...but I don't want her to be a Mabel or an old Eugenie (Wearing clothes that are so adventureous that she looks ridiculous). Her look might be boring to us but if her husband (and more importantly ) Kate enjoys her wardrobe who are we to say differently.

Kate is classic and understated and she pretty much always dress appropriate for the occassion and maybe thats enough for right now.

Again.....bows on a wedding dress people....bows on a wedding dress.

Old 06-11-2011, 06:20 PM
Aristocracy

I LOVE the white McQueen coat with its interesting skirt detailing. However, I owned something rather similar back in the late 80's, by an LA designer, except that it was in red. I would like to see her in more color, though I'm a blonde who can't wear a lot of white well, whereas the Duchess, with her dark hair and slightly olive complexion, can pull it off.

The hat is fun, and it works nicely with the simple black and white dress, too.

Pippa doesn't quite have her sister's sense of style or her height and build. She looked terrific in her bridesmaid's dress, but she's got some distance to go in terms of choosing clothes in general, and because her physique is different, she's never going to make the same impact as the Duchess does. She needs to work on finding clothes that flatter her more.
Old 06-11-2011, 06:56 PM
Serene Highness

I have gone trough a opinion change. I woke up early to catch the very beginning of the event, and as soon as I saw Catherine I couldn't helped but feel disappointed. I, much like other, wanted her to wear something colorful. So the cream did not go well inicialy. We could only see the upper part of the coat , and it didn't look like anything special.
Until the first pictures of her standing in the other balcony with Camilla. The bottom of this coat-dress is what makes the difference. Also it was clearly a close design to her wedding dress (which I loooove). So I took it back .
However I'm still looking for some great red/yellow/emerald-green attires.
I really believe the Duchess will be more bold, color-wise, during her Canadian tour. fingers cross. It's not like she doesn't like wearing them, there is a picture of her in a beautiful red dress , just check Catherine Middleton' pictures thread. So there is hope , people aka Lumutgreen :P
There's not much of a difference between a stadium full of cheering fans and an angry crowd screaming abuse at you. They're both just making a lot of noise. How you take it is up to you. Convince yourself they're cheering for you. You do that, and someday, they will - Sue S.
Old 06-11-2011, 07:19 PM
Serene Highness - Picture of the Month Representative - Britain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zonk View Post
Again.....bows on a wedding dress people....bows on a wedding dress.
Oh, my. I just saw a photo of Mabel's dress. It's um...interesting. Although I wish Kate were more adventurous with her hair, I do think you and Britters made some very good points.

Both of today's outfits were good. I absolutely love the coat. As others have said, it's reminiscent of her wedding dress.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessofEurope View Post
I am convinced that Kate's outfit that she wore at Sam's wedding is a repeat dress of hers from summer 2007 (during her split from william)

Update - yes it was worn with a different belt on a night out with Pippa
Google Image Result for http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-j-foxc-NMIU/TbR2HmQ7XgI/AAAAAAAAClg/rclGS9GWugY/s1600/01-kate-middleton-clubbing-01.jpg
Good catch.

Kate Middleton: Duchess of Cambridge is surprise guest at wedding of her 'royal matchmaker' | Mail Online
Old 06-11-2011, 08:05 PM
Aristocracy

Is it possible that the dress she wore to the wedding today was actually on under the McQueen coat and she just took off the coat, since she wore the same hat to both events.
Old 06-11-2011, 09:26 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sephora View Post
Kate is stunning, but I don't like the color and the baggy cut of the coat of her sister.

That's funny how now some medias mention first Pippa, and Kate as her sister, still don't understand what they find on her, sorry but Kate is 1000x more beautiful and she's anyway the star :~)
I agree with you 100%. I don't find this young lady nearly as attractive or interesting as the press tries to make her seem.

Pippa appears to really LOVE all the attention, though.
Old 06-11-2011, 09:36 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zonk View Post

Kate is classic and understated and she pretty much always dress appropriate for the occassion and maybe thats enough for right now.

I think it is.

I really believe Kate will do well NOT to get inveigled down that fashion icon path that lured Diana.
Yes, it's tempting.
Yes, she should promote British fashion.

BUT- that is a slippery slope, and she may start to believe her own publicity. She'll do much better if she doesn't go there, doesn't always feel the need to dazzle and impress.
Much better for her to just fit in. JMO.
Old 06-11-2011, 09:49 PM
Gentry

I loved her McQueen coat for Trooping the Colour. The bottom reminded me of an opening flower - like her wedding dress! I think it was quite fashionable. Though I like to see what Kate is wearing, I really don't care too much as long as the look is appropriate. That's my approach to fashion - if it is appropriate for the occasion (even if it's boring, the same-old-same-old, or even *gasp* kind of ugly) it's okay in my book. Judging by my thoughts, people can probably tell that I am an boring dresser. Guess that's why I kind of like Kate's style - it's similar to mine!
Old 06-11-2011, 11:39 PM
Heir Apparent

Loved both outfits from today!
Old 06-11-2011, 11:49 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by free2rhyme
Is it possible that the dress she wore to the wedding today was actually on under the McQueen coat and she just took off the coat, since she wore the same hat to both events.
Could be, I guess since we didn't really see the bottom of outfit to see if dress was hanging out but she changed her earrings though so that caused me to assume she changed outfits.....
Old 06-12-2011, 12:44 AM
Aristocracy

I simply loved both of Kate's choices of today; she looked flawless at Trooping the Colour and at the wedding. Incidentally, I didn't read all of today's posts, so I don't know if anyone mentioned that her dress choice for the wedding is a frock she wore before, in 2007, I believe. Good for the Duchess to show such confidence in her taste and for proving that a new outfit is not necessary for every occasion. I think she really does take the state of the economy into consideration and cares very much to not behave like a woman who just won the proverbial marital lottery. (I don't believe she sees her marriage like that at all - just clarifying for those who might misunderstand me.)

I think we are all going to enjoy her fashion choices as time rolls on. I believe most of us prefer understated and elegant to the "Essex girl" style, which even Diana was accused of a few times. The line between the two is not as wide as one would think if we let the media judge for us. She lacks Diana's "cheekiness" in dress, but that's only natural, considering the difference in background. Kate's fashion sense seems to reveal a very centred and consistent personality and that only bodes well for the future of the BRF; I believe she will "stay the course".

On a side note, her sister, Pippa, looked horrible today! It's hard to believe this was the same young lady who attended the Duchess' train on April 29th and had Facebook pages dedicated to her before the wedding was even over! I keep seeing people claim that Pippa is the more lovely of the sisters, but I just don't see that, although Pippa is decidedly beautiful in her own right. BUT, they BOTH need to lose the heavy dark eye-liner, I agree with almost everyone else about that!
Old 06-12-2011, 12:55 AM
Heir Presumptive

Yes, more Alexander McQueen! I am liking Catherine more and more and more
Old 06-12-2011, 03:11 AM
Super Moderator
Blog Editor
Royal Blogger
Picture of the Month Assistant Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mia_mae View Post
What a boring look for a wedding, btw it's summer, therefore color would've been a great choice. She honestly looks like she is dressed for a funeral.

Closed Thread