Princess Letizia's Daytime Fashion Part 20: June 2011 - August 2011

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
There would be no outcries if any of the CP's or Catherine showed up at an event looking sloppy. I've yet to see or hear of protestors outside any of the palaces that the CP's live because of how sloppy they looked at an event. There would be more outcries if any of the CP's showed up at every event in brand new outfits (designer or not) as they would be seen as frivolous and out of touch.

There would be no outcries if any of the CP's or Catherine showed up at an event looking sloppy. I've yet to see or hear of protestors outside any of the palaces that the CP's live because of how sloppy they looked at an event. There would be more outcries if any of the CP's showed up at every event in brand new outfits (designer or not) as they would be seen as frivolous and out of touch.

I don't know about outcries but there sure as heck would be comment if Catherine Cambridge showed looking sloppy over a period of time. And why does our discussion have to translate to "protesters outside...palaces"? The fact that we're discussing it means that more the 1 or 2 people notice a trend. The alternative isn't protests it's disinterest and that can be more of a problem than protests. Also and again, no one is saying anything about new clothing. She a many beautiful outfits in her closet; more than likely vast amounts of beautiful dresses and suits from past engagements. Even if she has lost weight, on a woman of her dimunitive frame that translates to not more than 5 or so pounds tops. What she has can be tailored to her smaller frame.

Last edited:
I don't know about outcries but there sure as heck would be comment if Catherine Cambridge showed looking sloppy over a period of time. And why does our discussion have to translate to "protesters outside...palaces"? That face that we're discussing it means that more the 1 or 2 people notice a trend. The alternative isn't protests it's disinterest and that can be more of a problem than protests. Also and again, no one is saying anything about new clothing. She a many beautiful outfits in her closet; more than likely vast amounts of beautiful dresses and suits from past engagements. Even if she has lost weight, on a woman of her dimunitive frame that translates to not more than 5 or so pounds tops. What she has can be tailored to her smaller frame.

Agree with you 100% dbarn67.

Bad choice of words on my part, but I really didn't mean (or think I was saying) that there would be protests. No, there wouldn't be, but there would be a lot of attention and speculation.

No one is asking Letizia to go out and spend, spend, spend. How about making use of the nice clothing she has already?:flowers:

I find that purse so interesting because of its fastening, which is made of a large agate disc, tinted in pink.

I second the theme of extremes. When Letizia's recent poor choice of outfits are criticized, it it WRONG to assume that message is that she should go buy designer gear. The message is "appropriate dress, that respects the occasion, the dignitaries" involved.

It is also not the question of "royalty". It is the question of DIGNITARY. Key test is if she was not royalty and plain "special dignitary" to the occasion - lets say a public official invited as a chief guest- how would she have dressed? Does she fit within this norm?

The obvious answer is NO. For example, the recent visit by President of Panama and his wife. She should have dressed at par with the other ladies, i.e. the queen and the first lady. By at par, I am not talking about designer label or the price. But the style of the dress. She was dressed horribly in those ridiculous pants. Even an attendant lowly official would have not dressed in this manner. It is equivalent to Prince Felipe showing up in jeans. (Letizia did not show up in jeans but you get my drift on "price" versus "dress code/style" with this example).

I am a huge Letizia fan. But she really needs to pay attention to her clothes such that they are occasion appropriate. No one wants her to be a clothes horse. But there is something called respecting one's position, the people who are hosting you, as well as you are hosting.

I second the theme of extremes. When Letizia's recent poor choice of outfits are criticized, it it WRONG to assume that message is that she should go buy designer gear. The message is "appropriate dress, that respects the occasion, the dignitaries" involved.

It is also not the question of "royalty". It is the question of DIGNITARY. Key test is if she was not royalty and plain "special dignitary" to the occasion - lets say a public official invited as a chief guest- how would she have dressed? Does she fit within this norm?

The obvious answer is NO. For example, the recent visit by President of Panama and his wife. She should have dressed at par with the other ladies, i.e. the queen and the first lady. By at par, I am not talking about designer label or the price. But the style of the dress. She was dressed horribly in those ridiculous pants. Even an attendant lowly official would have not dressed in this manner. It is equivalent to Prince Felipe showing up in jeans. (Letizia did not show up in jeans but you get my drift on "price" versus "dress code/style" with this example).

I am a huge Letizia fan. But she really needs to pay attention to her clothes such that they are occasion appropriate. No one wants her to be a clothes horse. But there is something called respecting one's position, the people who are hosting you, as well as you are hosting.

:previous: I could not agree more with your above statements.

Yes, Spain is going through very tough economic times, but most of Europe are too. We're not asking her to buy designer label clothing, but her dress at formal and important events is disgraceful. She was a professional woman in her past life; she knows how professional woman need to look. When the first lady of a country, who isn't particularly from a wealthy nation, dresses better than the host Crown Princess, this sends the wrong message to everyone.

Yes, she could be rebelling or "doesn't feel like dressing up anymore", but you know what? She signed up for this life of being a public person. She knew exactly what she was going to get herself into. If I were her husband, I'd be saying something to her, because at the end of the day, she is representing the Royal family, Spain and the Spanish fashion industry. Look at CP Mary, Princess Marie, CP Victoria. They all wear clothes designed from their respective country-person. Could you imagine them wearing hideous clothing, like what CP Letizia has been, day in and day out? I think not.

Yes, Spain is going through very tough economic times, but most of Europe are too. We're not asking her to buy designer label clothing, but her dress at formal and important events is disgraceful. She was a professional woman in her past life; she knows how professional woman need to look. When the first lady of a country, who isn't particularly from a wealthy nation, dresses better than the host Crown Princess, this sends the wrong message to everyone.

Yes, she could be rebelling or "doesn't feel like dressing up anymore", but you know what? She signed up for this life of being a public person. She knew exactly what she was going to get herself into. If I were her husband, I'd be saying something to her, because at the end of the day, she is representing the Royal family, Spain and the Spanish fashion industry. Look at CP Mary, Princess Marie, CP Victoria. They all wear clothes designed from their respective country-person. Could you imagine them wearing hideous clothing, like what CP Letizia has been, day in and day out? I think not.

Well said :flowers:

Perfectly said! You expressed the whole matter!!
Sometime I hope that she/something from her cabinet, reads all these words!

I'm all for simplicity in fashion, but not simple to the point of casual. I'm old fashioned, but this outfit to a Naval graduation is too casual and out of place. It could be seen as being disrespectful to those being honored at the ceremony in that Letizia didn't feel it was important to dress accordingly for a semi-formal occasion. It's very disappointing.

YES, you are right. I do not understand what she is thinking!

Military parades are very serious event!. I noticed that in Spain, especially in the Pasqua Militar, they dress very very officially.
I remember also, when Letizia gave her first speech alone, in a military occasion, she was wearing black long dress and mantilla!!
And now, with her husband present and in full apparate, she dresses like going out having coffee with friends at the nearest mall!
I do not understand what in her mind! And do not tell me that is question of price! Zara (spanish brand!) has pleinty of adequate outfits.
And at least, she is the future Queen of Spain! We do not expect her to be dressed in rugs!

Last edited by a moderator:

Military parades are very serious event!. I noticed that in Spain, especially in the Pasqua Militar, they dress very very officially.
I remember also, when Letizia gave her first speech alone, in a military occasion, she was wearing black long dress and mantilla!!
And now, with her husband present and in full apparate, she dresses like going out having coffee with friends at the nearest mall!
I do not understand what in her mind! And do not tell me that is question of price! Zara (spanish brand!) has pleinty of adequate outfits.
And at least, she is the future Queen of Spain! We do not expect her to be dressed in rugs!

I'm thinking either she's depressed or just can't be bothered anymore.

nice word ;)

Letizia just misses the mark again! It's as if she's making an editorial opinion that she doesn't care. I just don't get her at all.

Looks like alot of us are all thinking the same!

We can't all be wrong...can we?

I want to be wrong. I want this to be some sign of something happy or nothing at all. But somehow I don't think that's true.

She looks like she is doing her revolution!!!

But against what?

And she was soooo much better before! her eyes were sparkling from hapinness. Now she is "extinguished", like an automate.

I want to be wrong. I want this to be some sign of something happy or nothing at all. But somehow I don't think that's true.

I agree with you both.

She's lost an awful amount of weight since she first became a member of the Royal Family,I prefered her with a bit more weight.I got a fright when looking at photo's of Letizia from 2005/2006.

Her face has become rather gaunt & she often looks unhappy/bored in photos.Other times she looks ice cold or rigid looking.

She rarely wears any jewelery except those star earings & her rings .For a Crown Princess her daytime wardrobe is embarrassing & lets her & Felipe down.

I'd like to see her take more care with what she wears as its being said not just on this forum but many others at how inappropriate she's become at dressing for official acts!

I agree with you both.

She's lost an awful amount of weight since she first became a member of the Royal Family,I prefered her with a bit more weight.I got a fright when looking at photo's of Letizia from 2005/2006.

Her face has become rather gaunt & she often looks unhappy/bored in photos.Other times she looks ice cold or rigid looking.

She rarely wears any jewelery except those star earings & her rings .For a Crown Princess her daytime wardrobe is embarrassing & lets her & Felipe down.

I'd like to see her take more care with what she wears as its being said not just on this forum but many others at how inappropriate she's become at dressing for official acts!

The ONLY moments we can still see the previous Letizia, is only in evening official occasions. With ballgowns, she is still acceptable.

I hope we are not facing a new Masaco case!

Please remember this is a fashion thread and not a thread discussing Princess Letizia's physical appearance, further posts will be deleted.

The ONLY moments we can still see the previous Letizia, is only in evening official occasions. With ballgowns, she is still acceptable.

I hope we are not facing a new Masaco case!

And those have become so rare given the economic climate in Spain.

They are two different types of events. When she wore the black long dress and mantilla, she was the godmother of the unit. Military school graduation is just like most of other royal events, a suit, a jacket with pants/skirt would be fine. This time the suede jacket is a bit informal.

She looks like she is doing her revolution!!!

But against what?

And she was soooo much better before! her eyes were sparkling from hapinness. Now she is "extinguished", like an automate.

I think she has become much more comfortable in her role, even the Spanish press has commented that she has become much more relaxed at the acts now than the very beginning. Sometimes perhaps too relaxed, it shows in her informal clothes. Not wearing jewels has something to do with the current crisis in Spain.
Clothes are the main interest of many of the internet forums, but people in the street including the most critical sector of the press in Spain don't care about the clothes (as long as she is modest) that much. If she were lazy, worked 10 days followed by two months off, then it would be a much more serious problem in Spain.

Last edited:
I am curious if Spaniards care what she wears as much as the members of this forum.

AMEN! I doubt if Felipe would say anything to her though..I think Letizia wears the pants in that marriage...quite literally! :lol:

Perhaps her mother-in-law should say something to her. You certainly would never catch Queen Sofia dressing like some depressed bourgeois hausfrau at a military event. :ohmy:

I personally think the excuse of the financial crisis is an excuse. If Letizia is going to wear jewelry and outfits that already belong to her, then I do not see a problem. I will understand peoples frustration during these times if she went out and brought worth of thousands for 2-3 events.
During the crisis, there have been dinners and visits to Spain, the royals have come out wearing their best jewels, I don't recall anyone commenting on that. Nobody will pin point Letizia for wearing studded diamond earrings (which she has worn a few months ago) or wearing the appropriate outfits to the event. If the Queen, Infanta's and commoners at events can dress accordingly, so can the Crown Princess.

The difference is, that the Queen and Infanta's can be seen in the best designers, couture outfits (lets not forget how many Valentino dresses the Queen has) and I don't recall a debate on the spending. The foreign designers the Queen & Infatans also go for. Is it only Letizia who is banned from reaching out to well know designers and appropriate dressing?

Personally think, If the other ladies can do it and are still doing it, so can Letizia, but the difference is that Letizia doesn't seem too bothered to what she wears, appropriate or inappropriate. To me, She thinks she is fashionable and setting a trend when there is no trend.

We don't know if she still has some of her old clothes.
Regarding the foreign designers' clothes, of course there were double standards in the Spanish tabloids. Both Cristina and Letizia wore white pantsuits from Armani, Letizia had been criticized, nobody said a thing about Cristina. Cristina has been raised by the tax payers' money, receives salary from the state, Letizia had been a private citizen until she became Felipe's wife officially. If someone had the 'right' to wear a foreign designer's clothes at the engagement, it was Letizia since she was still a private citizen.
I haven't see new Valentino gowns from Sofia lately, all of them were relatively old or old designs. Infantas were rarely seen in public, they no longer have a high media profile.
Letizia wore this brown suede jacket many times in the official trips oversea (with skirts or dresses), I don't think she purposedly dressed down, she probably thought she looked nice with her favorite suede jacket and white pants matching the navy uniform. She would look better if she didn't wear the jacket open and tied up her belt like she did other times.

Last edited:
I do not really understand this debate!

Is Letizia criticized wearing expensive clothes OR she avoid wearing expensive clothes in order not to be criticized??

Do not forget that the CP couple receives a global allocation from the KIng and it is up to them to manage it. She can buy 10 Valentino gowns or with the same money buy 1000 Zara outfits, at the end the money will be spent anyway, so why the people is more shouting on Valentino???

And finally, here in TRF we do not criticize the value of what she is wearing, we criticize the style, being inadequate! The military parade outfit was INADEQUATE, but it might be also expensive, who knows?

Last edited:
I think the debate is not if she is wearing expensive clothes but more of her sense of style and if her clothes are appropriate for the have seen Princess Letizia wearing mango and Zara clothes and she looked nice, elegant and suitable for the ocassion, for example that swede jacket must be very expensive but it is just horrible!:cool:

I think the debate is not if she is wearing expensive clothes but more of her sense of style and if her clothes are appropriate for the have seen Princess Letizia wearing mango and Zara clothes and she looked nice, elegant and suitable for the ocassion, for example that swede jacket must be very expensive but it is just horrible!:cool:

Agree!

Plenty of people can dress well & look a lot more professional on a much smaller budget than Letizia's.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom