Queen Elizabeth and the Duke of Edinburgh Current Events 11: July-October 2006

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Queen Elizabeth Officially Opens Scotland's Restored Art Gallery

Queen Elizabeth II arrived in Glasgow today to officially mark the opening of the city's new and improved Kelvingrove Art Gallery. She was joined by her son, Prince Charles, at the event and was met by Lord Provost Liz Cameron, council leader Steven Purcell and Bridget McConnell when she arrived.

Skydragon said:
Proud tots' letter from The Queen

PEOPLE might be surprised to know that some of the most passionate Royalists in the city enjoy colouring with crayons and making papier maché.

http://www.peterboroughnow.co.uk/ViewArticle2.aspx?SectionID=845&ArticleID=1769464

awww, thats too cute, it was very nice of the palace to respond. i specially likes the little kid that said that the queen must be important because she's on stamps and even his mum doesnt have that. too, too cute!

Last edited:
That story is the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard. They make advertisements for staff seem like they're a huge thing. They advertise for the same positions alot because each member of the Royal Family has one or two. For example, Princess Alexandra has two footmen. If one leaves, the Queen advertises for a new one and they get posted to Alexandra's household so it's nothing to do with the Queen's staff. This is an excuse to make a big point of the Romanian and Bulgarian influx we're expecting next year and to highlight the last influx which was from Poland.

Avalon said:
Queen Elizabeth Looking To Employ Non-British Staff To Solve Royal Crisis

Queen Elizabeth is in desperate need of staffing at the royal palace. But the queen is especially desperate to hire Eastern European workers to solve a royal recruitment crisis.

I can certainly understand why, if this story is true. Very few Brits want to work in service, they seem more interested in shouting about their rights than in doing any work. A lot of 'youngsters' are too busy getting a degree in phsychology or my favourite, Madonna. The nicer ones tend to want to be high fliers in the city, civil servants, teachers, nice clean work.

Are the PC brigade happy now they've rubbished Prince Philip and made him feel that he has to hide away?

Poor Philip, however this is also based on Paxmans' book and we all know how accurate he has been so far! I also take exception to the BBC headline. Philip does not fear anything IMO and from the actual article which says "The Duke of Edinburgh has revealed he retreated from the media spotlight so he would not "be an embarrassment", we can all see that fear is not mentioned at all! :rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, I'm not keen on the idea and I think the Queen's been forced into the decision but there we are.

Personally I think it is a considerate action on an employer who has Muslim staff and a hostess who has Muslim at .
times.

This shows that the Queen, IMHO, is in touch with the changing nature of her country and is recognising that the Islamic community form an increasingly large percentage of her people within Britain itself.

Last edited:
The percentage is a minute one. There are more Jews than Muslims. Is the Queen going to erect a synagogue in Windsor Great Park?

BeatrixFan said:
Well, I'm not keen on the idea and I think the Queen's been forced into the decision but there we are.
Yes,I agree with you.Since The Queen has approved for a room to be converted to be a Muslim prayer room then The Queen should set up a Hindu temple for the Hindu staffs (if there are),a Buddhist temple for Buddhist staffs' (if there are),a synagogue for Jew staffs',a Baha'i center for Baha'i staffs' (if there are) and a Jain temple for Jain staffs' (if there are) at Windsor Castle.

I used to lend out my office to muslim co-workers so they had somewhere to pray. I think the article over blew things a bit. She likely was just given an empty office to use. The Queen might not even know about it since this girl works at the gift shop. I know the women who used my office didn't need anything 'set-up' they just brought everything with them.

I agree. If you provide for one, you've got to provide for the rest and it becomes pathetic political correctness.

chrissy57 said:
Personally I think it is a considerate action on an employer who has Muslim staff and a hostess who has Muslim at times.

As it is only for the fasting month of Ramadan, I too think she is just being considerate.

Will Her Majesty let her Jewish live-in employees have a special room for a Passover meal?

BeatrixFan said:
I agree. If you provide for one, you've got to provide for the rest and it becomes pathetic political correctness.

That's how I feel. And if the Queen makes a habit of it, are all employers going to be pressured to do the same thing?

I really dont understand what is the problem with the queen beeing kind enough to allow an employee space to pray. If the queen wants to allow it, its her castle shes allowed to do it and theres plenty of space at windsor castle. Im sure that if a jewish person were to go and and ask for space to pray she'd allow that too. After all the queen as head of state should promote tolerance, and this is a good way to promote tolerance. My university is a catholic institution and space is provided for prayers for both muslims and jews. I dont think that she was forced into this and given the fact that theres more than enough room at windsor castle its no sacrifice on her part,. the space is probably just a small office or something , like an earlier poster said, dont blow this out of proportion, its not like shes building synagogues or mosques at winsor castle!

Elise, it isn't a problem exactly. There is a slight issue with just who made the decision. In Britain at the moment, there's alot of political correctness and alot of rules relating to that coming into the workplace. This raises the question, if the Queen is allowing muslims a space to pray at Windsor Castle then is every other employer going to be expected to do the same and is this strictly a policy that benefits muslims or will she be doing it for every faith represented in her staff? You see, it brings up all kinds of issues that are pretty much best left alone and at a time when born-Britons are finding it a little tricky to cope with the sudden voice the muslim community have found (I'm not condemning that by the way) ,this action isn't really a very sensible thing.

So Beatrixfan, for clarification, you're saying that the problem is that the queen made the decision????and its an issue of political relevance so it should have been left untouched by her????

No, no not at all. It's unclear who made the decision. But at this present time, the climate is a little tetchy to be doing this sort of thing if it is as exclusive as it appears to be. I'd like to see the Queen involve herself in politics when it's beneficial to British people - but in the current situation, any world leader is pretty wise to leave faith issues well alone unless they really have to and in Britain, certainly amongst the people I've spoken to, this move hasn't been at all popular. In saying that, the reports we have might be twisted or incorrect.

iceflower said:
An extremely cute pic of the Queen :) well, I hope it's okay to call it cute ;)
"Queen Elizabeth II takes an early morning ride with a groom in Balmoral, UK on August 31, 2006."
While it is indeed a lovely photo, I really wish HM would wear a proper saftey helmet with harness when she rides,not only for her own safety,but as an example to others. I am a competition show jumper and there is not a show in the world that every rider on the grounds is not required to wear one at all times.

Last edited by a moderator:
At 80, I don't think HM will change her habits now and I'm sure that being a true country girl, she'd know how to cope with a temperamental horse. And if you can't lose the helmet at 80, when can you lose it? I know what you mean though.

BeatrixFan said:
At 80, I don't think HM will change her habits now and I'm sure that being a true country girl, she'd know how to cope with a temperamental horse. And if you can't lose the helmet at 80, when can you lose it? I know what you mean though.
I absolutely agree that the Queen is an extremely accomplished equestrian. But, would it not be a tragedy to loose her because her horse put a foot down a rabbit hole?

It would be a tragedy to lose Her Majesty under any circumstance. I love my Queen and I can't imagine a Britain without her.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom