The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 05-07-2007, 07:17 PM
Nobility

I just saw them on FOX News posing for pictures before the dinner. Laura looks beautiful!! I love her dress. The Queen looks fantastic as well. I lvoe being able to see royals on TV!!

Old 05-07-2007, 09:11 PM
Aristocracy

We also know what Her Majesty carries in her purse.....her glasses and her speech. LOL

I think that The Queen looks fantastic in her outfit. I think that they were all made for that State Visit. I though that the State Dinner Speechs would aired on CNN but they weren't. Kinda sad. Anyways, I hope that The Queen has a wonderful time during these two final days of her State Visit.

I hope that the next time she crosses the Atlantic is to comme to Canada. :)

Old 05-07-2007, 09:13 PM
Heir Presumptive

Her clothes on this trip have been quite stylish. I enjoyed the 'Lilly Pulitzer'-ish colors on her at the Derby and the black lace overlay outfit today at the white house.
Old 05-07-2007, 10:13 PM
Nobility

The Queen looks great in her tiara and dress. The British will throw a dinner Tuesday. I wonder if that is white tie too.
Old 05-07-2007, 10:16 PM
Royal Highness

I'll check if I can find pictures...
She did bring her tiara's and the whole stone collection, she looks great!
Bush nearly places Queen Elizabeth in 18th century
(Reuters) Updated: 2007-05-08 09:38
...You've helped our nation celebrate its bicentennial in 17 -- in 1976," Bush said. Bush looked at the queen sheepishly. She peered back at him from beneath her black and white hat. "She gave me a look that only a mother could give a child," Bush said as the crowd burst into laughter...
Old 05-07-2007, 10:31 PM
Heir Apparent

As an American with great respect for the Queen and the democratic process, I have no clue how the president managed to turn a welcome speech into a "let's go war" speech, but I am not in the least bit surprised (insert sigh here). I must say though, I particularly liked HMs response to that one.

Nevertheless, while unfortunate the president has managed to embarass himself in front of the international press once again. I really think that he should practice his speeches first.

On another note, if anyone could point me in the direction of pictures from this evenings event, I would be grateful!
Old 05-07-2007, 10:41 PM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Month Coordinator

One thing I do like about the Bush administration (I won't go into politics any further) is Laura Bush, and her ability to be an excellent First Lady, and always look the part. She is stylish, and well put together, especcially for a woman her age.

Old 05-07-2007, 10:57 PM
Heir Apparent

I answered one of my own questions at least partially, which is where the pictures might be. Here is one, and I believe HM is wearing the girls of Great Britian and Ireland Tiara.

LadyK you are quite right about not turning this into politics. However HMs response and look at Bush was priceless. See here, last photo, at least until Fox changes photos. Otherwise it is available on AP.
Old 05-07-2007, 11:18 PM
Imperial Majesty

She looks as though she's about to give him a good handbagging! Between that Look she gave Cheney the other day and now this, it seems as though she isn't having exactly the best time of her life this week.
Old 05-07-2007, 11:40 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elspeth
She looks as though she's about to give him a good handbagging!

This, the smiley thingy above, is the mental image that I had reading that, Elspeth.

Quote:
that Look she gave Cheney the other day and now this,
Can one of those photos be the Picture of the Month? Forget the rest, the Cheney photo was priceless!
Old 05-08-2007, 12:18 AM
Royal Highness

I just finished viewing the toasts on CSPAN, and I have to say that the Queen really gave a wonderfully supportive speech and even touched on the importance of freedom for all, necessities for war, and rebuilding countries. I enjoyed it (and the jewels!)

"We make a living by what we do; we make a life by what we give" Winston Churchill
Old 05-08-2007, 02:06 AM
Royal Highness

The First Lady was very elegantly dressed. Very feminine and wonderful details on her excellently fitting and cut dress.

Unfortunately I can not say the same for the absolutely fantasy-less choice of gown and jewels by Her Brittanic Majesty.
Old 05-08-2007, 02:23 AM
Imperial Majesty

I think these days Her Britannic Majesty deals in reality, not fantasy.
Old 05-08-2007, 03:39 AM
Courtier

What would you have preferred, Henri? I don't exactly understand what you mean...are you saying it was a boring look to you?

...perhaps she was being courteous to Mrs. Bush, who can't exactly out-glitz the queen in a tiara and Q. Mary's gems. LOL.
Old 05-08-2007, 04:12 AM
Imperial Majesty

I have to disagree about Laura Bush, her dress was a little too fitted for a woman of her age and figure. The JLo effect should be the preserve of younger women!

HM's frock was unexciting, but when you are in her position, you are free to go out of your way not to overwhelm your hosts.
Old 05-08-2007, 05:58 AM

Laura Bush was stunning IMO. Everything a First Lady should be. Stylish, elegant and courteous. The Queen, simple and understated dress-wise but the gems made up for it. The speech at the dinner was the main thing I paid attention to and personally I found it quite interesting. I agreed with some of the sentiment but there was, for me anyway, a slight hint of "administrations and governments may go but I'm the Queen and I'm here till I croak" about it.
Old 05-08-2007, 06:49 AM
Nobility

CSPAN covered the State Dinner. The network aired the event again, and it included the Queen's speeches from other State Dinners, guests entering, and a former advisor to the First Lady. According to this article (White House welcomes British queen - Britain's Royal Family - MSNBC.com), Laura Bush wore an aqua creation by Oscar de la Renta with silver beading and rhinestones and a bolero jacket. I think she needed a necklace and the outfit would be an A. Without one, I give the First Lady a C. I was happy to see Nancy R. who was a true treat as a First Lady (which is a great thing to say, since I would never vote for the party).

In the same article, I was shocked to read this sentence:
Laura Bush insisted that the president was enthusiastic about wearing white tie and tails — though admittedly after being persuaded by his wife and secretary of state, Condoleezza Rice, to elevate the dinner to that exalted level in the first place.

I am so glad Bush changed his mind because the Queen deserves the best.
Old 05-08-2007, 06:55 AM
Heir Presumptive

video antena3 of the gala:

mms://a953.v59721.c5972.g.vm.akamaistream.net/7/953/5974/3c99fd9f/wms.antena3tv.com:81/a3noticias/1/7/omnkp76145.wmv
Old 05-08-2007, 07:02 AM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Month Coordinator

wow- I'm watching Good Morning America (Robin Roberts was invited to the dinner) That tiara was absolutely stunning- stunning (in video). It just glittered. Which tiara was it?

They're showing her entering, and now presenting her toast- gosh, she is just stunning, and absolutely glittering- the tiara and necklace are just majestic.
Her dress also seems to have some glitter. That's all I can say about her- she is just majestic. What sash is she wearing? Is that the American order?

Peyton Manning (American Football star) was there too? huh. Interesting guest list.

Old 05-08-2007, 07:11 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyK
wow- I'm watching Good Morning America (Robin Roberts was invited to the dinner)
That tiara was absolutely stunning- stunning (in video). It just glittered.

Which tiara was it?
It is the Girls of Great Britain and Ireland tiara, and the brooch on her sash was Queen Mary's lovers' knot bow.

God save Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II

Tags
duke of edinburgh, elizabeth ii, president bush, prince philip, queen elizabeth ii, state visit, united states