What is your opinion of Frederik and Mary

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
can someone please tell me that, indeed, mary is as lovestruck as frederik?

Last edited by a moderator:
CasiraghiTrio said:
I agree with you, carlota, but I am easy on royals and celebs who wear furs because I would feel so hypocritical about criticizing them for it when here I am, eating meat and wearing wool myself. I have wanted to give up meat for a long time but somehow always give in, and likewise, I don't wear leather and I am against having leather furniture, but yet I find myself unable to give up wearing wool. I agree it would be best, it is best, and I commend --nay, applaud anyone who makes a stand and gives it all up.
It's very hard, though. Especially in Scandanavia, eastern europe, Russia, and places like that where wool is a very important part of the economy.
It's terrible, but I can't blame Mary when I am guilty myself.

well, i'm a meat eater as well. unfortunately nowadays there is no other way (at least that i know) of having the daily intake of protein that meat gives you from some other synthetic food and meat is something irreplaceable in the food pyramid. i can't blame anyone for eating meat (that's all it needed!). after all, there's no way of replacing it at the moment.

i could even tolerate the use of furs, if the main purpose of killing the animal was to get food from it. however, i'm most certain that the meat of those little sheep and their mum that were criminally killed wasn't used: that coat would have given the industry perhaps 1000000% more money than selling their meat.

about the cold countries you mentioned, i must say that although fur is very warm, the technology in finding new materials made of polyester is improving more and more everyday... and i doubt everyone in any country can afford fur to protect themselves from the cold weather...

:rolleyes:
Henri M. said:
It is a pity that posters feel a Princess should 'transform' with stylistes et al. When you look at pictures of Mathilde, Mette-Marit, Máxima and Letizia, they are very much the same before and after the marriage. Prince Willem-Alexander even publicly stated that he hoped that the Máxima he learned to know and became in love with, would always remain the same Máxima (and not let her unique self be buried).

From all the 'Crown Princesses', let me name it that way, I have never felt a 'click' with Mary. She is the fake one, with her stylistes and her strange cover-photographs which are not at all comme-il-faut for royalty. Diana started with this and caused the Beckhamization of the monarchy. Mary should not let the old and ancient House of Schlesvig-Holstein-Sonderburg-Glücksburg going the same path into the present anglosaxon disease of worshipping of celebrities and kissing every pooh-pooh of the likes of Paris Hilton or Madonna's African baby (the poor, poor thing).

It must be personal. Others praise her all the way up towards cloud nine. But there are always people you like or dislike on first sight. An initial feeling that is. I have that with Mary. For no second I believed in that marriage of her. She is the first who comes in my mind when it is about royal crises of the future.

Don't get misled by fairytale pictures. We all remember the last fairytale pictures of Alexandra and Joachim in between autumn leaves, with filtered light and oh-la-la l'amour. Not long later they announced their separation.

Well said..I don't get a click with Mary and Fred too. Honestly, of all the Crown couple in europe, they are my least favorite esp. Mary.. :rolleyes:

Henri M. said:
Compare this with another Princess:
http://www.koninklijkhuis.nl/dsc?noblob=true&s=obj&c=getsubobject&versionid=6&dsname=minazkh&objectid=4838&subobjectname=63489920.jpg

Not posing against an artificial background. Just in her real daily surroundings. Showing all her freckles and wrinkles. Her hair with roots. The last picture simply appeals more to me. It shows a human being. It shows warmth and it radiates goodwill.

OK, first of all, Mary doesn't have freckles, nor does she dye her hair a contrasting color. She HAS wrinkles and we can see them. What do you want her to do?--Paint freckles on her face and dye her hair blonde so we can see how laid back she is? Honestly, these things don't make a good rating system, IMO, -showing how human and warm a person is by the humane imperfections on the face?
Nonetheless, you're entitled to your own opinions, as we all are.

Henri M. said:
Okay.
Hendes Kongelige Højhed Kronprinsesse Mary af Danmark.
http://www.crownprincecouple.dk/db/images/mary_ny_1.jpg

A breathtakingly perfect (!!!) Crown Princess with ice water running in her veins.
Posing against a cold, artificial background.
Pure beauty.
Vogue or Cosmopolitan, Yves Saint Laurent or Gaultier would immediately have requested her for her astonishing looks.

But.......

http://www.koninklijkhuis.nl/dsc?noblob=true&s=obj&c=getsubobject&versionid=6&dsname=minazkh&objectid=4838&subobjectname=63489920.jpg

Not posing against an artificial background. Just in her real daily surroundings. Showing all her freckles and wrinkles. Her hair with roots. The last picture simply appeals more to me. It shows a human being. It shows warmth and it radiates goodwill.
What's your problem with Mary posing for the camera?
I think , in a way, Royalty stands for Elegance.
Mary IS a very elegant woman and I don't see any problem with it that she poses for the camera in that way.
Would you like Mary more if she would pose in a daily surrounding?
I think it's arranged by the danish Royal Family. I really cannot imagine that Mary herself says:"hey! I want a cool, blue backround that shows how perfect I am. I don't want a daily surrounding!"
Sorry, I cannot understand your opinion at all..
But hey...
we all have another opinion. ;)

Henri M. said:
Okay.

A breathtakingly perfect (!!!) Crown Princess with ice water running in her veins.
Pure beauty.
Vogue or Cosmopolitan, Yves Saint Laurent or Gaultier would immediately have requested her for her astonishing looks.

But.......

Sorry, but I dont see this as a plausable excuse Henri M. You are being really quite spiteful (nothing more), and I can't and dont understand why you or anyone have to compare Mary with Maxima or Maxima with Mary. Its so pointless its beyond amusing (not that you are trying to be of course).

Its not that I care whether you like Mary or not, because I dont. I do like reading the reasons as to why people feel the way they do though, and as of yet I have seen very little that makes me believe your reasons (though yours respectively) are anything but spiteful.

I wont have any interest is discussing your posts any further as I know where you stand and you know where I stand so lets agree to disagree.

I appreciate your response.

Last edited:
kelly9480 said:
No one knows the future, so you can't say for certain that she will be queen. Not to be morose, but it's not in our hands as to whether she outlives her mother-in-law, whether Fred outlives his mother, etc. You can hope that she becomes queen, and you can say that it's unlikely the monarchy will be abolished, but you can't state -- for a fact -- that she will become queen.

Oh I know that no one know's the future, but it was kind of you to point that out may I say...hehe

But, I can state whatever I like kelly9480, just like those who hold an obvious repulsion for the Crown Princess have no restraint in taking their opinions that one step further (IMO), in that they seem to enjoy being offensive within their posts.

There's no doubt in my mind Mary will be Queen and I am of course excluding the possibilities of health issues or freak accidents which surely, all would never wish upon anyone but then again, here, you just never know.

A nice day to you.

Last edited:
klau23 said:
can someone please tell me that, indeed, mary is as lovestruck as frederik?

You would have to ask the Crown Princess that :flowers:

carlota said:
i would also like to point out something i didn't like of mary in her last event.

Carlota, I respect your view very much and I respect the fact that you are against the use of fur :)

Personally, I am not against the use of fur, infact I surely endorse it. It is a splendid 'thing' (I use the word 'thing' loosely) and I myself even enjoy wearing it.

I also take pleasure out of seeing, who I think to be, beautiful women wearing it and Mary is one of those women in my opinion :flowers:

Last edited:
Her_Majesty said:
What's your problem with Mary posing for the camera?
I think , in a way, Royalty stands for Elegance.
Mary IS a very elegant woman and I don't see any problem with it that she poses for the camera in that way.
Would you like Mary more if she would pose in a daily surrounding?
I think it's arranged by the danish Royal Family. I really cannot imagine that Mary herself says:"hey! I want a cool, blue backround that shows how perfect I am. I don't want a daily surrounding!"
Sorry, I cannot understand your opinion at all..
But hey...
we all have another opinion. ;)

perhaps i will get lots of posts saying how wrong i am, but i doubt mary IS elegant. if you see the pre-engagement pics of mary, you would probably say she wasn't elegant at all and not outstanding beauty-wise. we can all agree that her transformation was magnificent and that she is now much more slim and elegant, much more 'fashionable' and much more marketable. it's not too difficult to accomplish though: everyone of us, ladies, would look much more beautiful with money wisely invested on our physical appearance and some fashion and make up advisors. elegance is something innate and doesn't have to do with who has more prada's in her wardrobe.

i think both of the photos are nice, though. i agree that it's more like a court decision rather than a decision taken by mary on how she wanted the photogaph.

Last edited:
carlota said:
perhaps i will get lots of posts saying how wrong i am, but i doubt mary IS elegant. if you see the pre-engagement pics of mary, you would probably say she wasn't elegant at all and not outstanding beauty-wise. we can all agree that her transformation was magnificent and that she is now much more slim and elegant, much more 'fashionable' and much more marketable, which in my opinion isn't too difficult to do. everyone of us, ladies, would look much more beautiful with money wisely invested on our physical appearances and some fashion and make up advisors.

I think elegance represents something different for everyone.

I also think your post to be applicable for the majority of royal women who hold high profiled positions :)

Last edited:
oh, that's absolutely true. i'm sure all the princesses had a little bit of help, but some more than others due to various reasons.

by the way, madame royale, it's a pleasure to discuss something we differ on with people like you. i think the position you are taking is the right one. some others get over excited, in my opinion.

carlota said:
perhaps i will get lots of posts saying how wrong i am, but i doubt mary IS elegant. if you see the pre-engagement pics of mary, you would probably say she wasn't elegant at all and not outstanding beauty-wise. we can all agree that her transformation was magnificent and that she is now much more slim and elegant, much more 'fashionable' and much more marketable. it's not too difficult to accomplish though: everyone of us, ladies, would look much more beautiful with money wisely invested on our physical appearance and some fashion and make up advisors. elegance is something innate and doesn't have to do with who has more prada's in her wardrobe.

i think both of the photos are nice, though. i agree that it's more like a court decision rather than a decision taken by mary on how she wanted the photogaph.
I don't see anything wrong in becoming elegant gradually.

No, Mary and the other princesses we often discuss were not as elegant and refined in their apperance before their marriage as they are now, but I would put that down to resources mainly! Perhaps many of the born princesses wouldn't turn many heads if they had been working girls from ordinary backgrounds with 'ordinary' resources available for their wardrobe and beauty regime.

Re Prada, if that was meant for Mary, I personally like her best in one of her outfits from Malene Birger or Pureheart - but for some reason her fairly often seen clothes from these relatively inexpensive Danish designers do not attract much attention:cool:

The only opinion which does matter on the present spouse of Danmark's Crown Prince is....... the opinion of Danmark's Crown Prince himself.

That is as simple as it is.
If we all accept it in this way, well stop this thread please, as our opinions on the lady in question are of no any relevance.

I can understand the surprise of some posters who might have the opinion that the lady is só poised, só elegant, só sophisticated, só smartly dressed and só amazingly coiffed that she really is Europe's Über-Princess: suddenly they hear murmurs of posters who (o mother of all shocks !) don't share that opinion.

princess olga said:
I completely agree. I've always thought the tonsils-laugh of Maxima seems fake, but my oh my, the Dutch buy it, hook line and sinker. I do think Maxima is a hard worker, but her warm-seeming personality may well differ from the private person, indeed we simply don't know that. The fact that Mary doesn't show her tonsils when she laughs is one of her qualities, I tell you!

Now, now. ;)
I'd bet WA has less of Bernard's shamelessly womanizing genes than he has his more timid and serious father's Claus's genes, but we will see. It seems clear however that whoever he'd commit adultery with, if he ever did, that woman wouldn't live! And he wouldn't either! Maxima would take care of that, she seems the type who's wearing the pants in that relationship!:lol:

LOL - I suppose she would take care of it! ;) And as I said - I wouldn't attribute that to WA just because his granddad did that. It's grossly unfair to judge persons by the acts committed by their family members

Henri M. said:
The only opinion which does matter on the present spouse of Danmark's Crown Prince is....... the opinion of Danmark's Crown Prince himself.

That is as simple as it is.
If we all accept it in this way, well stop this thread please, as our opinions on the lady in question are of no any relevance.

I can understand the surprise of some posters who might have the opinion that the lady is só poised, só elegant, só sophisticated, só smartly dressed and só amazingly coiffed that she really is Europe's Über-Princess: suddenly they hear murmurs of posters who (o mother of all shocks !) don't share that opinion.
What I'm surprised by is the venom by some posters towards Princess Mary such as referring to her as the "spouse of Denmark's Crown Prince." She's always being compared, in an unfavorable light, to other CP's. Well some of us don't exactly care for the favorites of Mary's critics either. In some people's opinion Maxima is frumpy with leathery, old skin and smokers teeth. Letizia is a skeleton of her former self. Mathilde is spacey, vacant and has a fixed "smile" that reminds one of a stepford wife, Mette Marit is awkward and lazy and just not CP material. But that's just my opinion, which I am entitled to.

UserDane said:
I don't see anything wrong in becoming elegant gradually.

No, Mary and the other princesses we often discuss were not as elegant and refined in their apperance before their marriage as they are now, but I would put that down to resources mainly! Perhaps many of the born princesses wouldn't turn many heads if they had been working girls from ordinary backgrounds with 'ordinary' resources available for their wardrobe and beauty regime.

Re Prada, if that was meant for Mary, I personally like her best in one of her outfits from Malene Birger or Pureheart - but for some reason her fairly often seen clothes from these relatively inexpensive Danish designers do not attract much attention:cool:

i actually know heartmade and marlene birger, just to show it actually attracts my attention ;) i'm saying prada just as an example and as it's a widely recognised brand that mary uses. moreover, marlene birger is not that relatively inexpensible or unknown. i saw their corner right next to armani collezioni in a shopping mall where i live.

as i said, all the princesses needed a bit of extra help. but some needed more and some less. look at mathilde: i doubt she had to receive a lot of help, since she was already elegant and refined. at the same time mette marit must have been one of the princesses that most had to learn... and there she is, now she is a perfect princess. as far as letizia and maxima are concerned, they both had to be smartly dressed because of their past jobs as journalist at peak times and economist for the deutsche bank. perhaps that's why i don't see such a huge difference in them before and after. there's nothing wrong in becoming gradually better, as you said. i just have the impression that elegance is innate, as i said before and that you can't 'create' it as such. you can become better in your physical appearance and grace towards the others, but it's actually difficult to gain the quality, just as it's difficult to gain any other quality that you don't have.

carlota said:
i actually know heartmade and marlene birger, just to show it actually attracts my attention ;) i'm saying prada just as an example and as it's a widely recognised brand that mary uses. moreover, marlene birger is not that relatively inexpensible or unknown. i saw their corner right next to armani collezioni in a shopping mall where i live.
My own daughter was confirmed in a skirt by Malene Birger this spring - and believe me - I'm a tough act to get money out of for my teenage daughters ;) so her clothes - at least here in DK - does actually sell at reasonable prices.

carlota said:
as i said, all the princesses needed a bit of extra help. but some needed more and some less. look at mathilde: i doubt she had to receive a lot of help, since she was already elegant and refined. at the same time mette marit must have been one of the princesses that most had to learn... and there she is, now she is a perfect princess. as far as letizia and maxima are concerned, they both had to be smartly dressed because of their past jobs as journalist at peak times and economist for the deutsche bank. perhaps that's why i don't see such a huge difference in them before and after. there's nothing wrong in becoming gradually better, as you said. i just have the impression that elegance is innate, as i said before and that you can't 'create' it as such. you can become better in your physical appearance and grace towards the others, but it's actually difficult to gain the quality, just as it's difficult to gain any other quality that you don't have.
I haven't seen what Maxima wore before - only pics of Letizia and I agree that she looks rather what she looked like as an TV journalist - already in the spotlight. Still, I would think that both ladies have upgraded a bit! Mette Marit seems to be a really nice lady - but I do think that she still often dresses very akwardly even though she seems to have her share of designer clothes as well (isn't she a Prada fan?); Mathilde can as you say be very refined - and the opposite e.g. when she's wearing one of those short jackets that IMO really doesn't suit her body shape. Mary has definitely made some akward choices as well. Still, all of these ladies can IMO be elegant now (perhaps not just all the time ;) ).

Last edited by a moderator:
Henri M. said:
Okay.

Pure beauty.

But.......

I'm a fan of both Maxima and Mary so here's my take on this. It's not like Mary has full control of her official portraits. The Royal Court arranges these and by the way Mary has been photographed in her "daily surroundings" a.k.a. the palace. If all of Mary's photos were of her in the daily surroundings I'd bet people would say she's showing off. While I agree that Mary may not have been the smartest in agreeing to do photo shoots and interviews in the beginnning of her marriage she has not done one recently. It looks like she and the Court have learned their mistakes of letting her loose in the media world. What I also don't understand is why people keep bringing that issue up. It's done and it's been well over a year. It's like bringing Letizia's divorce up now. What's the point? It's done and in the past. Another point that people complain about is Mary's fashion obsession. Mary, Mette-Marit, Maxima, Mathilde, and Letizia have all worn expensive designer clothes that have not been designed from their respective countries. Alexandra has been to fashion shows and no one crticizes her. If Maxima, Mathilde, or Letizia went to a fashion show I don't think there would be as much negative comments about it. What's so bad about fashion? It's an essential part of the economy and Denmark is obviously trying hard to promote it with Designer's Nest among other things. Malene Birger, Marianne Dulong, Georg Jensen, and other designers would not even be known if Mary didn't take part in it. Here's to moving on. You can like or dislike Mary (there are times when I don't approve of the things she does) but if it's the fashion and interviews I really don't get it.

Henri M. said:

This couldn't be farther from the truth.I've been following this couple for years, even before they were married. I can tell you that Mary was never instantly taken to like for example the Duchess of Brabant. For as long as she's been around there has always been a group of posters who never cared for. You can even check the very archives of this forum and see that for yourself.

princess olga said:
You know what I seriously don't understand about that? How come they are so, so very popular?! Is it because all the star-struck Aussie readers of Hello are voting as if their lives depended on it?

Seriously, when I think about what I know about Frederik as a person, it really is not much.

1. Is he smart? Dunno. The one interview with him I read had only one interesting thing to say, which was that he as a child felt distant from his parents. But that was it. Not someone with an interesting vision, imho.

2. Is he good looking? Mwah. He's ok looking but certainly not better looking than the other princes in the poll, Haakon and Felipe of Spain.

3. Mary.
Is she prettier, smarter, nicer or otherwise more special than, say, Letizia of Spain or Maxima of the Netherlands? What are Mary's redeeming qualities? She's not artistic and eccentric like Margarethe, she's not of the exotic beauty of her ex sister in law. Heck, she doesn't even work as hard (ok, not yet) as Alexandra.

I know liking someone (especially having only the media as a source) is in the eye of the beholder, but come on, what on the planet is just so special about this prettyfied girl-next-door over an obivously smart girl like Letizia, or an obviously gregarious and social girl like Maxima?

Why oh why, is really my question, is Mary so lionized? I'm mystified... I take it I must have some perhaps obvious blind spot when it comes to this, in my view, average-on-all-fronts couple.

The only reason I see for liking her is, weirdly, her father: he seems to be a down to earth kind of guy, a bit no nonsense. Maybe she is like him and is down to earth and that's what people like about her?
HRH Crown Princess Mary looks very matured compared to HRH Crown Prince Frederick as though she is his sister.He looks like a university student and cute whereas she is too matured and adult for him like a stepmother.Both of them don't suit at all.

All I have to say : She is damned if she does, damned is she dosen't.

Reasons I think make a bad Crown Princess:

Cheating
Affairs
biting people
being a bad mother
being rude
public outbursts

Now, Mary hasn't committed any of these things so to me, she is a good crown Princess. I can't understand why some people go on as if this woman has done the most horrible thing in the whole world. There must be something else to it. And really, who cares if she does or doesn't look natural, who cares if she turns heads or doesn't. Just remember, this is a fellow human being we are talking about, there is a human being the tiara.
And why compare princesses for?

Like the U2 song goes:
One life With each other Sisters,brthers
One life But we're not the same We get to carry each other :)

Last edited:
Alisa said:
This couldn't be farther from the truth.I've been following this couple for years, even before they were married. I can tell you that Mary was never instantly taken to like for example the Duchess of Brabant. For as long as she's been around there has always been a group of posters who never cared for. You can even check the very archives of this forum and see that for yourself.
You are absolutely right Alisa. It´s not that HenriM. reinvented the wheel.
And these 68 pages are not just containing canticles. One only has to review a view pages of this thread. Time to cool down a bit. That’s old hat.
IMO HenriM. added nothing new to the discussion.

And HenriM. if you think Maxima shines brighter in all her glory when you are sharply criticizing other princesses you might be wrong as well. But of course you are entitled to try it.

johann said:
And HenriM. if you think Maxima shines brighter in all her glory when you are sharply criticizing other princesses you might be wrong as well. But of course you are entitled to try it.

Not at all. Princesss Máxima could very well use some fashion-lessons by Danmark's Crown Princess who has a very refined style. It is just the person, not her -undoubtedly elegant- looks.

Last edited:
I didn´t know if i should post here,because i don´t have an opinion of someone i don´t know,i didn´t even hear her voice. I just have an impression and it´s not good, i see her cold,distant, insipid (don´t know if this word is used for a person)nervous and her artificial poses remind me of Victoria Beckham.I know you won´t like this, esp. the danish, maybe i should follow more the DRF and i would change my mind.

rosana said:
I didn´t know if i should post here,because i don´t have an opinion of someone i don´t know,i didn´t even hear her voice. I just have an impression and it´s not good, i see her cold,distant, insipid (don´t know if this word is used for a person)nervous and her artificial poses remind me of Victoria Beckham.I know you won´t like this, esp. the danish, maybe i should follow more the DRF and i would change my mind.

From what you have stated you do have an opinion, rosana.

Last edited:
As little as i know of her it´s an impression,if i was invited to speak of her to give an opinion i couldn´t possibly do it.

How can you make an impression of someone when you don't know anything about the person?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom