Tiaras And Hair

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I also think its different with big tiaras and with small larger tiaras do not need a fuzzy hairdo it need to be simple and with the hair up

Gorgeous but it looks as though it could be a tad uncomfortable. I wouldn't want to get my hair tangled in the base. I am a bit shocked by it.

I have to disagree I like this one... the combination of diamonds in her hair and necklace is great and it matches to tiara too. It makes her look very royal and elegant.

I agree with you mims, it looks great on HM, especially in that gorgeous dark hair of hers. I wish other Queens and Princesses could take a hint from Sylvia, she really knows how to glitter.

I think short and/or helmet hair a la Camilla, Beatrix and Sophia is the worst for wearing tiaras. Having said that the best wearer of tiaras and short hair is Princess Benedikte of Denmark. It certainly helps that her hair is thick, but I think she makes good choices of Tiara and outfit to match!!

50836878.jpg

At Mary and Frederick's wedding.

52115930.jpg

At an earlier reception.

I think the different view on Victoria's hair shows, that she is the best wearer of Baden fringe tiara. She wore it many times and always it looked so perfect! :wub:

I would say that this tiara is just make for her head.:wub:

HMQueenElizabethII said:
In your first photo,Sophie just had short hair,but in the second photo in 2004,Sophie already got much longer and she also puts her hair up like that.
I can give you the picture of the Pre-Wedding and Wedding to see the difference:

Where is the first picture from and what tiara is that??
That is the best she's ever looked!

I think Crwonprincess Victoria of Sweden is one of the most elegant Royals. It's very hard to suit a tiara with a hairdo. The hairdo can be excellent, but not being appropiate for the tiara or vice-versa. In Princess Victoria's case she is able to find almost always, a good hairdoss for her tiara's model. And I think this combination is not always so easy as it seems.

Vanesa.

I agree entirely Vanesa. Crown Princess Victoria does manage to look "put together" in almost every case--even carrying off rather difficult tiaras. I'm especially referring to the cut steel tiara, which she looked absolutely stunning in with her hair partially down and wavy. I think my favourite look of hers, however, is with the Baden fringe tiara and her hair swept back into a chignon. C'est tres chic, in my opinion. The only objectionable look I can recall is when she wears the four button tiara, which I positively detest. It looks so clumsy on her beautiful head!

My dear Prince,

I too detest the four button flop tiara. Who ever heard of taking the buttons off of a dead man's uniform and turning them into a tiara, and a perfectly hideous one at that. Of course the man was Carl XIV Jahan (I hope I got the number right) and it was his dress uniform and the buttons are made of diamonds, but still. They should have taken them all apart and used the diamonds from scratch to build a perfectly lovely tiara. this is frugality gone mad. But then the Swedish collection is a mixed bag of tricks indeed. That Braganca thingie, and then the six button thingie to start off the list. But then they have the Leuchtenberg parure which excuses many, many sins indeed. Cheers.

Sorry to have to disagree Vanesa, Prince, Thomas, et al, re: the Diamond 4-button tiara. If you look through some of these threads as well as ones on other sites, you can see pics of the king's sisters each wearing this tiara in a manner that is more becoming. I believe that it requires a more bouffant style with some hair behind the buttons to make it look appropriate, if not attractive. The same applies to the 6-button. No one, including the queen, has looked good in this other than Princess Lilian, whose hair fulfills the "fullness" requirement. A lot of the awkwardness of tiaras is because of the change in hairstyles throughout time. Personally, I do agree that the tiaras themselves are not quite attractive, but an easy solution would be to make two 5-button tiaras, giving them each a "centerpiece" and would frame the wearer's head better.

As far as taking the buttons apart and frugality, I think that the history behind the buttons and the use of them in a tiara rather than making a bunch of brooches is part of the appeal of the story behind these pieces.

BTW, does anyone know who actually made the decision to use the buttons in a tiara? Who commissioned them and what jeweler did the actual settings?

Mapper

I think the Jeep tiara with the 6 buttos isn't to ugly, but indeed it is wor in a wrong way. Apart from that it needs a more buffant hairstyle (like any of these tiara's with upstanding loose parts e.g. Maxima's stars); I wonder why on earth they seem so fond to show the base of the tiara? Sure, it is made of diamonds and probably nice diamonds to, but the composition looks ghastly. I have the same problem with the way Madelaine is usually wearing her mothers 25th wedding tiara, also with the base very evident. Why can't they hide it somewhere in the hair (Queen Beatrx can learn them a few tris, she seems to make a sport out of it to put as much diamonds as possible UNDER her hairdo).

I think that the use of the buttons as a tiara was a nice, albeit touching, idea...but it just didn't work out so well. At least, not in its present form. I do agree that arranging them in a group of 5. would be the best-looking. But for me, that still wouldn't solve everything. They look so awkward just perched there sans base; if a diamond base were created that could tie them together a little better, they wouldn't look quite as silly. Of course, then the tiara would be quite large...we'd need to borrow Princess Lillian's hair. ;-)

As for the Braganza tiara, it is a beautiful piece of art...but watching the Bernadotte women try to balance it with their hair, or even fit in on their heads, is quite comical. Lucky for Queen Sylvia bigger hairstyles were en vogue two decades ago.

I agree about the Braganca tiara, Prince of Chota. Certainly not wishing it to happen, but if Victoria faced the same situation as her father of ascending to the throne at 27 or even now at 30, I can't imagine her wearing this huge piece of hardware. It's like overkill in the contest for most impressive jewels.

Mapper

Don't get me wrong, though, I really do think that the Braganza tiara is nice. I'd really like to see Victoria's take on it. Maybe she can pull it off, and we'd all be eating our hats.

A comedy of flops

Dear Prince et al,

Without wanting to get into a squabble about such, I cannot agree. They need to take that Braganca thing, the two button things and all those lovely diamonds, silver, platinum and gold and send them over to Cartier or some such and make a couple of really nice tiaras, or possibly one or even two really elegant complete parures. This business of worshipping one's ancestors mistakes has been carried to the point of the ridiculous. this is excess and nothing but excess. The B contraption, unlike the massive Dehli Durbar tiara is not just big or massive, it is just too big and too massive. It just goes to show that Garrard or whomever contrapted the DD tiara knew what they were doing and the contraptors of the big "B" didn't. Cheers.

Well, perhaps I haven't concealed it well enough that I like the Braganza tiara, and I don't think that the SRF is about to scrap it anytime too soon. In fact, Queen Silvia seems quite fond of it. So I doubt that she or Victoria will opt to destroy it. However, I do wonder if there's some way to remove parts of it to create brooches or something--which would make it a little less bulky.

From a strictly practical point of view, it must be much easier to anchor the base of the tiara in a long haired up do than a short do a la Diana or Camilla. I cant figure out what the short haired ladies are securing the base to. Some of these tiaras must be quite heavy. How do they keep the tiara/diadem from moving in the middle of the evening? Perhaps they have hairdressers standing in the wings?

Scooter, they are still attached, most likely via hairpins, like stronger bobby pins. The stylists just hide the pins under other pieces of hair. It is much the same as when ladies like Victoria with long hair wear tiaras with their hair down.

Then again, if the Delhi Durbar is as heavy as it looks, they may have to super-glue it :rolleyes: :D

For real LadyK! The Delhi Durbar is beautiful and it looked great on Camilla, but it does seem awfully heavy. lol

Good heavens, Lady K, can you imagine the comic possibilities? There you are standing in all your royal and imperial glory dripping, positively dripping with diamonds emeralds, pearls, the whole nine yards with the gorgeous silk evening gown to end all evening gowns and lo and behold your tiara slides off and dangles on one side of your head, held on only because it caught in one of your huge chandelier emerald diamond pearl earings. Or worse still, in the middle of 2,500 photographers at the state dinner for the royalty of such and such, medals parures and all the thing falls off your head and lands on the floor.

What on earth do you do?? Bend over and pick it up. Summon the waiting hairdresser, bend the thing back into shape and plop it back on your head? What happens if the transformation (ie wig) slides off with it. And there you stand, bald and tiaraless. It would make international headlines. The Queen would not be amused. Anybody ever heard of such a thing happening.

We have had a wonderful thread about mistakes with royal jewels (ie the Worst Jewels Thread) which has brought much malicious happiness. Would it be possible to do a mishaps with royal jewels thread or would such a thing just not be done. Cheers.

Dear Thomas Parkman, it's always a joy to read your posts. The closest thing that came to a tiara disaster caught on camera which I remember happened to the late Princess Diana & was duly featured in one of those infamously staged TV documentaries about the cozy life of The Wales' in the mid-1980'.
Place: Australia, 1985; time: Arriving back to wherever the Wales' were staying after the good-bye gala dinner; incident:
Gloomy Princess Diana, in a gorgeous blue satin & lace evening gown, wearing her Saudi-Arabian sapphires & diamonds along with the Spencer tiara, has taken off her tiara (you can actually see that there's a rubberband in the back of the base - horror!). Holding the tiara in one hand and grabbing her skirt with both hands, she proceeds to march up some grand flight of stairs on her way to bed - only to realize that the tiara's diamonds have caught up with the lace of her skirt. She marches on, trying to unravel lace & tiara, finally gives up on it, straightens her back and soldiers on upstairs and out of the camera's sight, with the tiara still caught up in her dress and dark clouds appearing on the horizon beyond her rather grim face.
I never got over that rubberband. So much for securing tiaras in short hair.

Back
Top Bottom