The Royal Family Order (RFO) and other Royal Orders and Decorations 2: Sep 2022-

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Did you mean the Queen Consort, Marengo. It certainly looks shorter, perhaps in preparation to make room for the Kings new RFO.

Yes I did indeed ?

You could be right and that it is in preparation of some changes. The less ribbon/fabric the better IMO.

Did you mean the Queen Consort, Marengo. It certainly looks shorter, perhaps in preparation to make room for the Kings new RFO.

Camilla's title is The Queen. It was changed on the 6th May when she became a crowned and anointed Queen.

Camilla's title is The Queen. It was changed on the 6th May when she became a crowned and anointed Queen.

I was referring to Marengo saying "the Duchess". The Queen, the Queen Consort, Queen Camilla - I use them interchangeably. I personally like the title Queen Consort and was sad to see it dropped. I wish from the very beginning HM was referred to as Queen Camilla the Queen Consort but that's just me.

And me. Queen Camilla the Queen Consort, I like that, however that ship has sailed...

And me. Queen Camilla the Queen Consort, I like that, however that ship has sailed...

Yes and a missed opportunity to introduce a "King x the King Consort" standard for the next Queen Regnant. Keep things a bit more equal and modern. I suppose we'll see how all the future Queen Regnant's on the continent deal with that issue.

I’d rather see current queen consorts demoted to princess consorts than a monstrosity like ”king consort” coming into use.

Or alternatively future prince consorts styled as majesties.

I’d rather see current queen consorts demoted to princess consorts than a monstrosity like ”king consort” coming into use.

Or alternatively future prince consorts styled as majesties.

It is a shame that Spain will most likely go against it's tradition and Leonor's husband will not be King Consort as things stand now.

Further update from Rebecca English regarding the new RFO. Not expected tonight at the Diplomatic Reception but the story is the portrait has been chosen and they are currently being made.

Further update from Rebecca English regarding the new RFO. Not expected tonight at the Diplomatic Reception but the story is the portrait has been chosen and they are currently being made.

Ah !
So much for the moanings about the "loss of a tradition".
KC is the Master of his own agenda and he's obviously taking his time on that subject ...

I’m glad the tradition will continue. I will be curious to see when they debut what women receive them- if it will only be the core working royal women (i.e. The Queen, the Princess of Wales, the Princess Royal and the Duchess of Edinburgh) or if they will be extended to the Duchess of Gloucester, Princess Michael of Kent, etc. and if the King’s nieces will receive them. It will be interesting to hear how it gets done in the modern era (if they are distributed all at once or over time)

I would expect the Duchess of Gloucester to get one as she is still a working member of the RF. Princess Michael isn't and never had the late Queens' RFO.
I hope Princess Alexandra gets one for all her years of service to the RF (yes okay all under Charles' mother but still) so she gets to wear three and we get a pic of her wearing three!

I suspect all the women who were in the coronation pictures to get one - Camilla, Catherine, Anne, Sophie, Brigitte, Alexandra.

Charles may well extend it further in which case I would expect his nieces and Lady Sarah to get one. This I doubt personally but who knows.

Maybe the King will bestow the new RFO on the anniversary of the Coronation in May?

I think the RFO should also be given to Duchess of Kent as she was also a hardworking member of the RF for many years. but then she would have no occasion to wear it

I think the RFO should also be given to Duchess of Kent as she was also a hardworking member of the RF for many years. but then she would have no occasion to wear it

Katherine Kent has not been a working member for some time now, so I cannot really see her get it.

I’m glad the tradition will continue. I will be curious to see when they debut what women receive them- if it will only be the core working royal women (i.e. The Queen, the Princess of Wales, the Princess Royal and the Duchess of Edinburgh) or if they will be extended to the Duchess of Gloucester, Princess Michael of Kent, etc. and if the King’s nieces will receive them. It will be interesting to hear how it gets done in the modern era (if they are distributed all at once or over time)

I would expect the Duchess of Gloucester to get one as she is still a working member of the RF. Princess Michael isn't and never had the late Queens' RFO.
I hope Princess Alexandra gets one for all her years of service to the RF (yes okay all under Charles' mother but still) so she gets to wear three and we get a pic of her wearing three!

I suspect all the women who were in the coronation pictures to get one - Camilla, Catherine, Anne, Sophie, Brigitte, Alexandra.

Charles may well extend it further in which case I would expect his nieces and Lady Sarah to get one. This I doubt personally but who knows.

I think the recipients will be Camilla, Catherine, Anne, Sophie, Brigitte and quite possibly, Alexandra.

QC and the PoW have both now shortened/altered their current RFOs. I'm assuming this is in preparation, and to make room, for the new RFO. A less crowded look.

Pic

ETA: A before pic

Last edited:
QC and the PoW have both now shortened/altered their current RFOs. I'm assuming this is in preparation, and to make room, for the new RFO. A less crowded look.

Pic

Makes sense. I suspect we will not see the royal ladies in gala dresses and sashes etc till the spring state visit now.

Makes sense and I think it will look better with two RFOs on shorter ribbons - they take up so much of the dress otherwise. Excited to see what Charles goes for.

I think the ladies who had the late Queen's will get Charles' even if they will never be seen wearing it. He won't give it to ladies who didn't receive the late Queen's so not Beatrice as we know she wasn't important enough for the late Queen to give it to her and thus presumably nor were Eugenie, Zara or Louise.

In William's generation the late Queen gave it to one married in wife and none to her royal or non-royal granddaughters and I don't see Charles changing that - have to be a working royal for a number of years before getting his and with his 'smaller royal family' idea that will severely limit those getting such recognition going forward. The late Queen initially gave it to married-ins almost as soon as they did so if being a working royal e.g. the Duchess of Kent and the late Princess of Wales but with later married-ins she made them wait about six or seven years so Sarah didn't get it, Sophie, Camilla and Catherine had to wait years for it and non-working royals didn't get it at all.

Yes, I think it should be a 'reward' for the working females of the RF, married-in or born-in. As much as I' would have liked to see the younger granddaughters of QEII in them, i feel they should be 'earned', not just because of an accident of birth.

I've always disagreed with the late Queen's system for awarding the RFO. I wish she was more generous and gave it out to all family members. It makes me sad that Beatrice, Eugenie, Zara, etc don't have it as a lovely memento of the late Queen's reign. The Royal Victorian Order(RVO) is already a personal gift from the monarch for service to the monarchy so I don't see the need to by stingy with the RFO.

Do we know for sure who received QE11 order, we only see them on state occasions, are we sure that Beatrice for example has never received one. Does it appear on the court circular

Do we know for sure who received QE11 order, we only see them on state occasions, are we sure that Beatrice for example has never received one. Does it appear on the court circular

She didn't wear it to the white tie banquet in Jordan so my guess is no.

We know Beatrice didn't have it as she didn't wear it at the Jordanian wedding and Catherine did wear it. Edo had his 'medals' but she had nothing.

We know Beatrice didn't have it as she didn't wear it at the Jordanian wedding and Catherine did wear it. Edo had his 'medals' but she had nothing.
The fact a "married-in" male was able to wear not one, but two, royal commemorative medals to an overseas white tie event while a Princess of The Blood Royal didn't even have a Family Order to wear really, really, looked bad in my opinion. Your mileage may vary.

Totally agree but I don't see it changing any time soon. It is clear that the late Queen didn't value her granddaughters enough to give them her family order (and remember that she had George V's family order and she was only 9 when he died so given it as a little girl and Margaret was even younger). She simply decided that the men could get all the honours and her blood relatives, who were female weren't worthy.

Back
Top Bottom