The Royal Family Order (RFO) and other Royal Orders and Decorations 2: Sep 2022-

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
We do now know that the late Queen did not give her granddaughters her family order - or at least didn't give it to Beatrice. If she had had it she would have worn it to the wedding in Jordan.

That means only Catherine will have her family order in William's generation.

That I will suspect means they won't get Charles' or William's either.

I agree. However, I find it ironic that the men who married in, i.e. Tim, Jack, and Edo, all received the Jubilee and Coronation medals which they can wear to white-tie events (as Edo did in Jordan), while "born princesses" Beatrice and Eugenie have nothing. Even Zara got a personal gong for her riding.

We do now know that the late Queen did not give her granddaughters her family order - or at least didn't give it to Beatrice. If she had had it she would have worn it to the wedding in Jordan.

That means only Catherine will have her family order in William's generation.

That I will suspect means they won't get Charles' or William's either.

I would describe it as almost unfortunate. Yes, sure they aren't working royals but blood princesses don't even get the RFO (and mind you Prince Michael has a GCVO and he was part time, which shows that certain service produces acknowledgement). I just personally question the judgement of that decision. Sure there's a slimming down process occuring but in this transition phase, give to the royal what is 'royal'.

I agree. However, I find it ironic that the men who married in, i.e. Tim, Jack, and Edo, all received the Jubilee and Coronation medals which they can wear to white-tie events (as Edo did in Jordan), while "born princesses" Beatrice and Eugenie have nothing. Even Zara got a personal gong for her riding.

Zara was recognised for her successful equestrian / Olympian career, nothing to do with being the Queens granddaughter. IMO The RFO is nothing to do with being a working member of the family, lets be honest this definition is a relatively new category.

Let's get back to discussing the topic of the thread.

A series of off topic posts have been moved to The Future of the British Monarchy thread. Please continue that discussion there.

Last edited:
When the new RFO will be revealed?

When Charles decides he is ready.

There is no set date by which it has to be revealed.

It is possible that there mightn't even be one. It isn't essential.

It seems it's mostly (or only?) the Scandinavian and British monarchies that have a royal family order worn by the/some female members of the family. The others do fine without it.

Not really sure how it works but I guess she will receive the thistle only after she has the garter.

Most royals seem to have gotten the Garter before the Thistle (though in theory the Thistle ranks behind the Garter so they are being given a lower honour after receiving the highest possible).
Currently outside of the King, Queen and heir only Anne has is a member of the Thistle.

Most royals seem to have gotten the Garter before the Thistle (though in theory the Thistle ranks behind the Garter so they are being given a lower honour after receiving the highest possible).
Currently outside of the King, Queen and heir only Anne has is a member of the Thistle.

The Thistle is the highest in Scotland and the Garter in England so I suppose if you were Scottish you wouldn't see it as ranking lower than the Garter and it would be the one you would rather have. I must say that I love the rich green velvet of the Thistle robes, they are beautiful.

I was hoping to see the Princess of Wales also being appointed ahead of the visit to Scotland.

It is not normal for the consort of the heir to the throne to receive the Thistle at all.

Until Edward VII the spouse of the monarch when female didn't get any of these awards but he made Alexandra a lady of the Garter. George V and George VI followed making their wives Ladies of the Garter shortly after their accession.

George VI decided to give Philip the Garter before he married Elizabeth so he already had that when Elizabeth became Queen but he didn't get the Thistle until AFTER her accession ... in 1953.

Same with Camilla - Garter before Charles' accession and Thistle after.

I also couldn't see Charles giving Catherine the Thistle when he has only given Camilla the Thistle last month and she hasn't yet attended a Thistle ceremony (unlike the Garter the Thistle ceremony is only held every two years).

The late Queen Mother was the FIRST spouse of a sovereign made a Lady of the Thistle and like Camilla it was AFTER the coronation.

Neither Edward VII nor George V made their wives Ladies of the Thistle.

I don't think Charles will rush into giving Catherine either the Garter or the Thistle.

I can see him giving Catherine the Garter in 10 - 15 years time but I think she will have to wait for William to give her the Thistle. (Now watch Charles give her both next year)

Last edited:
There's a State Visit from South Korea towards the end of November ,I wonder if we will see a debut of the RFO of Charles III?

There's a State Visit from South Korea towards the end of November ,I wonder if we will see a debut of the RFO of Charles III?

If we don't see one by then I'll begin to seriously wonder if there is even going to be one. I would be very surprised.

If we don't see one by then I'll begin to seriously wonder if there is even going to be one. I would be very surprised.

The king is a traditionalist so I'd be very surprised if they were abolished!

The Marchioness of Landsdowne and Lady Sarah Keswick wore their coronation medals to the State Opening of Parliament.

The diamond crown brooch above with a C is their ”Queen’s Companion” insignia that was worn at the coronation as well by The Marchioness of Landsdowne and The Queen’s sister Mrs Annabel Elliot.

If the Royal Family Orders are to be discontinued, then i’m very surprised that the royal women wore the order of the late QEII at the South African state visit and at the coronation…. I would have imagined that they would have stopped wearing it immediately if Charles has decided to issue no new order.

But if there is no new RFO or Royal Cypher in any way to be seen on the females at the South Korean State Visit Banquet or the December Diplomatic Reception, it would indeed indicate to me that they are to be discontinued.

Last edited:
I hope they continue the tradition and soon we see an RFO from King Charles III.

I think it is important that this tradition is continued.

I'm really surprised that we have not seen the RFO for Charles III so far!
I think he must have abolished the tradition.... I guess the least date for it to be commissioned was the coronation. That the royal ladies didn´t wear a new RFO at the coronation indicates, that it seems that there will be no longer Family Orders in the british monarchy and makes the scandinavian monarchies the last ones to stick to it, which I find a real pity!

I think he must have abolished the tradition.... I guess the least date for it to be commissioned was the coronation. That the royal ladies didn´t wear a new RFO at the coronation indicates, that it seems that there will be no longer Family Orders in the british monarchy and makes the scandinavian monarchies the last ones to stick to it, which I find a real pity!

I really hope that this is not the case!

I really hope that this is not the case!

I don't think Charles has abolished the RFO's, I suspect he is just taking his time to release them. Existing RFO's continue to be worn, as do all the sashes and other regalia. Abolishing the RFO's achieves nothing really.

Considering how much the King loves tradition and the finer things in life I would be very surprised if he discontinued the RFO. I cannot imagine Charles not wanting to see his wife wearing the RFO of his mother and himself. I just think that perhaps it was a lower priority on the transition list and will show up in due time.

Rather disappointing regarding the CIII Royal Family Order ,not quite sure what to think about its future!

Now that is dissapointing. I guess we have the diplomatic reception coming up for another opportunity but perhaps the RFOs are no more.

Now that is dissapointing. I guess we have the diplomatic reception coming up for another opportunity but perhaps the RFOs are no more.

Its certainly not looking good for the future of the RFO!

Back
Top Bottom