The Duke & Duchess of Sussex and Family, News and Events 5: June-July 2021

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Not necessarily when it comes to the British tabloid's war on Meghan. These papers love to build a fire out of nothing.

The british tabloid's is the absolute worse. They write ANYTHING to cause headlines and troubles. Why people read these tabloid's is beyond me, and using them as quotes here on the forum is just incredible annoying. ?

I am not persuaded by the argument that if an event, such as the alleged teacup incident, occurred, there would have been immediate headlines, as if everything had happened with 50 people as witnesses. It is very common for people to either delay reporting or never report abuse, that is why it is so hard to identify and stop.

If the reports are true and William was the one who dissolved his partnership with Harry, I do not believe for one minute that William reviewed the emails, immediately assumed it was completely true, and then forever marred his relationship with Harry by forcing Harry and Meghan out. He reportedly has a temper but there is also a long provable history of William's love and protectiveness for his brother.

It's possible that William didn't completely listen to the other side before blowing up, but it is equally possible that Harry refused to accept anything he viewed as critical of Meghan. The truth is probably in the middle but I think it is closer to William's side. I base that not on the media reports, but from what I have seen myself. I am also persuaded by reports of events I have not seen but those that have been confirmed by Meghan herself (teargate), as well as reports from their authorized biography.

Granada's post summed up the events well but I would insert the "poor me" African interview. My perception of that is formed by the fact that I've worked in one of places on their itinerary. I cannot imagine meeting with those incredible people, seeing their destitute and often unrelenting circumstances, and then complaining that no one asked if Meghan was okay. I admit that the humility and gratitude I feel when I am in the third world wears off as I adjust back to living in the first world, but there is no way I would have every whined as they did during my stay.

I get the impression that William tried to raise the bullying issue with Harry, which must have been awkward and unpleasant but had to be done because it was too serious to ignore, and that he was quite willing to hear Meghan's version of events. But it sounds as if Harry went mad with him for even acknowledging any suggestions that Meghan had bullied people, and thought he should have just dismissed them out of hand.

It's always difficult when you're working with family members and something like this happens, but it would have been very wrong for William to ignore what people were saying just because the alleged bully was his sister-in-law. But it sounds as if that was what Harry expected.

A tennis racket? I heard it was shoes! Or is HM a serial thrower?:ohmy:
According to the Australian film crew who saw it, it was both. Touchingly, they neither reported nor released film of the newlyweds out of respect. Hard to believe there was a time that "the story" was deemed less important than Elizabeth and Elizabeth having a fight.

The british tabloid's is the absolute worse. They write ANYTHING to cause headlines and troubles. Why people read these tabloid's is beyond me, and using them as quotes here on the forum is just incredible annoying. ?
I have to admit that I don't understand the willingness to swallow these stories hook, and sinker. We have had absolutely no verifiable stories that Charles, William and Harry discussed the situation after Prince Philip's funeral. I believe they put on a happy face for the public but emotions would have been too raw given their relationships with their father and grandfather to entertain the notion that they discussed something else that was really painful. We only have RR's and 'sources' who claimed, dramatically that William and Harry started fighting the moment the door was closed.

The british tabloid's is the absolute worse. They write ANYTHING to cause headlines and troubles. Why people read these tabloid's is beyond me, and using them as quotes here on the forum is just incredible annoying. [emoji849]
Let's just be grateful that this is an English language forum and not German or Spanish because their tabloid press make the British seem like high school papers.

Let's just be grateful that this is an English language forum and not German or Spanish because their tabloid press make the British seem like high school papers.

Yes, but the serious papers in Germany just pick up the stories from the serious papers (Telegraph and Times, ha ha) while the Yellow Press actually invents all their stories (eg that Charles will divorce Camilla etc.)

What do you define as "the yellow press"? That term doesn't even exist in the UK: it's an American term from the time of the Spanish-American War. I have never, ever seen a newspaper say that Charles will divorce Camilla. Yes, there are ridiculous claims about the Royal Family on some websites, but there are also websites which claim that the moon landing was a hoax, and that the Covid vaccines contain microchips. I don't see how these can possibly be equated with actual tabloid newspapers in the UK or any other country.

There have always been crazy royal stories: some people claimed that King Harold escaped the Battle of Hastings, Frederick Barbarossa was living in a cave long after his reported death, and Tsar Alexander I faked his own death and went wandering round Europe dressed as a monk. But things like that don't get reported in the actual newspapers.

Are you able to provide examples of a newspaper saying that Charles will divorce Camilla, incidentally?

I can't get it out of my mind that the Oprah interview, to illustrate the evilness of the UK media, resorted to modificated headlines and headlines from non UK media.

Not saying the UK gossippress is okay (far from it, i've gone back to ignoring all the DM and sun links ?) but apparently Oprah thought they could have been worse?

The doctoring of UK headlines and bringing in others from different countries including from "I saw Elvis" magazines hurt their claim for me. Could they not find enough actual UK headlines that would have the same impact?

Not to say there wasn't any but they didn't help themselves. And social media is a septic tank anyway but a whole different beast.

Scobie also didn't help by essentially confirming all the petty headlines but claiming the Sussexes were 100% in the right to do what they did.

Last edited:
What do you define as "the yellow press"? That term doesn't even exist in the UK: it's an American term from the time of the Spanish-American War. I have never, ever seen a newspaper say that Charles will divorce Camilla. Yes, there are ridiculous claims about the Royal Family on some websites, but there are also websites which claim that the moon landing was a hoax, and that the Covid vaccines contain microchips. I don't see how these can possibly be equated with actual tabloid newspapers in the UK or any other country.

There have always been crazy royal stories: some people claimed that King Harold escaped the Battle of Hastings, Frederick Barbarossa was living in a cave long after his reported death, and Tsar Alexander I faked his own death and went wandering round Europe dressed as a monk. But things like that don't get reported in the actual newspapers.

Are you able to provide examples of a newspaper saying that Charles will divorce Camilla, incidentally?

You did not ask me, but as I live in Germany for deployment right now, I can answer.
A bunch of magazines/yellow in Germany press wrote and repeat C&c getting divorced,
DasNeue, NeuesBlatt,NeuePost, InTouch.....same in Austria and Switzerland. One mag writes it Monday, the next one repeats it another day or next week with brandnew details of course LOL
Yellow press in Germany means a special kind of "Illustrierte" and " Frauenzeitschrift(women's mag" , all have the same size, style, similar prize.... big headline on the frontpage , many pictures, stories about european royals, some puzzles, sort of continuation novel and so in, published weekly, less than 2 E (most of them) and almost all barber shops, doctor's offices offer (for free if course) them for their clients while sitting in the waiting zone, it's even a running gag to say" I got my royal update"- " Been to the barber/doctor..." LOL
only old ladies admit to buy those mags on a regular base the younger (mostly) women say" Got my update..." , and some LGBT mags (as far as I know mostly for gay) print some royal gossip aswell, seems as if these men are interested more than heteros.
Similar only with the german "Bild" (like the Sun in UK), millions are sold every day, but NOBODY buys it ;-)

Last edited:

I have never heard the term yellow press before - but I do know the US tabloid market and the publication that has been piping that particular story is the Globe.

The story of Camilla and Charles getting a divorce appears to be reoccurring for a number of years. They are currently running Prince Charles and his rent boys stories. The British royals seem to appear every issue - the Queen appears to be dying every 4 months, Kate has been pregnant with twins several times and lizard children twice. William stuff is mostly about affairs with a few people. Harry and Meghan are in there too - some favourable (if you can call it so) and most not so.

What does bug me is that you can see other "reputable" tabloids linking to them - like a few Aussie tabloids, the Daily Mail pulling a few of the less outrageous stories and pulling a few from them. They are simply feeding from each other and the stories go round and round.

I think the reason why Oprah never used American tabloids for the show is because people are used to seeing their headlines while they wait at checkout and know the quality of the journalism. Whilst they do not know the level of journalism of the British press that was on the show - they might as well have been seeing the Magna Carta.

Would people have placed into credence in H&M's story if the evidence was on the same cover as such gems as below:

FBI captures Human Bat children
Da vinci code is real - Obama is Christ
I was Kidnapped and Tourured by Elvis's Ghost.

https://www.google.com/search?q=the...VOUMAKHbMwCtAQ_AUoAXoECAEQAw&biw=1920&bih=937

OK, so these stories are appearing in American and German magazines, NOT the British tabloids? That explains why I haven't seen them: I was confused by the suggestion that they were appearing in the British tabloids, which they aren't.

I just Googled "The Globe", out of curiosity, and up came pictures claiming that the Queen, Prince Charles, Barack Obama and Bill Clinton were all on their deathbeds, George W Bush was a cocaine addict, Diana had a secret daughter and Hillary Clinton was about to be jailed for life! None of which is the sort of thing you find in the average British newspaper. I would have had a good laugh about it if the obsession with people being on their deathbeds hadn't been so tasteless!!

Yes, but the serious papers in Germany just pick up the stories from the serious papers (Telegraph and Times, ha ha) while the Yellow Press actually invents all their stories (eg that Charles will divorce Camilla etc.)

In America, the tabloids are horrible, too. Why Meghan and Harry moved to Los Angeles as part of their plan to escape the tabloids makes no sense. That going from the frying pan into the fryer. LA is the land of Harry Levin's TMZ. Also, the press in the US is not as regulated as the press in the UK. Here, if you are a public figure, you are fair game.

Let’s move on from discussing the tabloids, please.

I saw a post here about Tyent Water claiming Meghan was drinking it
and when I googled it found a blog which really surprised me.
The thread concerning the Sussex couple was off limits,
so if the two are reading this sort of stuff (which is still stupid to do)
I am beginning to understand what they might feel like.

Most people just ignore such "trolls" writing bulls... , block them= problem solved.
It's a sort of hype, especially now that many people have more time at home than usual, " nothing "really happened since covid restrictions and lockdown....
doesn't make bullying or lies better BUT

as long as the Sussex need and want to be discussed to make their living
it's at their own risk. Compared to other jobs it's a relatively small risk and easy way to make money. It's their choice.

Harry and Meghan's interview with Oprah was nominated for an Emmy.

:previous: You're kidding me. If this is true, it tells me the quality of network TV has really deteriorated immensely. :eek:

:previous: You're kidding me. If this is true, it tells me the quality of network TV has really deteriorated immensely. :eek:

Agreed. Apparently it doesn’t take much to get nominated for an Emmy these days.

An Emmy for what? For huge ratings? For getting to say whatever they wanted with no fact checking? For revealing private information no one needed to hear to a worldwide audience? Absurd imo.

I haven’t watched the Emmys in years. Clearly….that won’t be changing if this is what passes for quality.

Re Emmy Nomination.

Oprah Winfrey is a major player in the industry and this project got a lot of attention. The relationship of Emmys, Oscars, etc. to merit has been largely missing for decades. Its all about money and promotion and power.

The laughable part will be the Sussexes showing up at the awards ceremony.
Not as producers, not as featured speakers, just useful props for Oprah and her industry friends.

Re Emmy Nomination.

Oprah Winfrey is a major player in the industry and this project got a lot of attention. The relationship of Emmys, Oscars, etc. to merit has been largely missing for decades. Its all about money and promotion and power.

Not as producers, not as featured speakers, just useful props for Oprah and her industry friends.
Oprah may be a major player but I thought it was a dreadful interview not only because of what Harry and Meghan said but because she didn't push back against anything they said, just accepted it as gospel truth. So for that reason I don't think there should be an award. Her interview with Lance Armstrong was a good piece of journalism because she didn't allow him wiggle room.

Re Emmy Nomination.

True. I’ve also noticed they’ve become increasingly about making statements of some kind- political, social, etc. From a certain POV- the Sussex interview fits that IMO. A lot of the winners seem to fit whatever issue Hollywood feels is important to spotlight. (And they may well deserve the awards too. IDK. I don’t watch enough of the shows that are nominated.)

Anyway- it did occur to me that parts of the interview fits the messages/issues Hollywood likes to reward.

And Oprah is a power player in the industry. So- that sure doesn’t hurt.

You've really got to laugh.

Oprah was a horrible interviewer, she barely asked follow up questions and didn't push on inconsistencies and obvious places to ask for clarification - unless it was the OTT "shocked" face.

And that's before Harpo defended the interview saying it was entertainment and "their truth" not factual when the UK press complained about the faked headlines.

Not to mention all the things that have been proven to be factually false.

So this continues until at least September.

True. I’ve also noticed they’ve become increasingly about making statements of some kind- political, social, etc. From a certain POV- the Sussex interview fits that IMO. A lot of the winners seem to fit whatever issue Hollywood feels is important to spotlight. (And they may well deserve the awards too. IDK. I don’t watch enough of the shows that are nominated.)

Anyway- it did occur to me that parts of the interview fits the messages/issues Hollywood likes to reward.

And Oprah is a power player in the industry. So- that sure doesn’t hurt.

Oprah knew what story she wanted to tell with Harry and Meghan. Racism, classism, USA good/UK bad, mental health breakdowns, Princess Diana, with an overall theme of the sort of unexamined victimhood that’s currently trendy.

I guess it’s a stretch that this made it into the nonfiction category, but I’m not surprised at the nomination. Oprah is a big player in the entertainment industry, and she’s being recognized by her peers for making a product that sold well. It’s not like the people involved in the nomination are unaware that the interview itself was poorly done. But in terms of entertainment value and - most important of all - profit, she did well.

I get the impression that William tried to raise the bullying issue with Harry, which must have been awkward and unpleasant but had to be done because it was too serious to ignore, and that he was quite willing to hear Meghan's version of events. But it sounds as if Harry went mad with him for even acknowledging any suggestions that Meghan had bullied people, and thought he should have just dismissed them out of hand.

It's always difficult when you're working with family members and something like this happens, but it would have been very wrong for William to ignore what people were saying just because the alleged bully was his sister-in-law. But it sounds as if that was what Harry expected.

I don't think William cares for Meghan. I don't believe Meghan is a "bully". There were never reports of her being "abusive" before. And the tea cup episode sounds like gossip that takes a life of its own.

It also would be very wrong for William to assume these stories are true about his sister in law

Regarding the Oprah nomination, it is Oprah's award to be won, if she wins, not Harry and Meghan and I very much doubt they will be at the Award's Ceremony.

Last edited:
I agree with posters opinion of the Oprah interview. No fact checking and that's entertainment for some not non fiction.

I don't think William cares for Meghan. I don't believe Meghan is a "bully". There were never reports of her being "abusive" before. And the tea cup episode sounds like gossip that takes a life of its own.

It also would be very wrong for William to assume these stories are true about his sister in law

Regarding the Oprah nomination, it is Oprah's award to be won, if she wins, not Harry and Meghan and I very much doubt they will be at the Award's Ceremony.

I respectfully disagree that William simply assumed that the allegations were true without speaking Jason Knauf and with the staff who made the claims that they or others were bullied. Based upon the recent allegations from Robert Lacey the timeline reflects that William called Harry after receiving the dossier to hear his side of the story. Reportedly Harry hung up on his brother, so William went over to speak to Harry in person about the allegations. I can only assume that once he heard in person from his brother, that he realized that the joint household needed to be split.

From the book

The moment the prince heard the bullying allegations, he related to this friend, he got straight on the phone to talk to Harry — and when Harry flared up in furious defence of his wife, the elder brother persisted. Harry shut off his phone angrily, so William went to speak to him personally. The prince was horrified by what he had just been told about Meghan’s alleged behaviour, and he wanted to hear what Harry had to say.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom