The Duke and Duchess of Sussex with Oprah I - Pre-interview, Feb-March 2021

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree to an extent but Oprah also knows the professional victim mentality. If there’s backlash from the interview, this couple will give a few more interview blaming Oprah— which is what Oprah won’t want. She’s already in enough trouble for not being supportive enough of her fellow blacks
Interesting and yes Oprah certainly is savvy enough to ensure via editing etc..that she come out looking good as well. She's worked too long and too hard to let anyone damage her image and influence.

If HMQ or the PoW had come out publicly against Harry and Meghan's marriage they wouid have been branded as racists around the world. The condemnation would have been immediate and unforgiving. The entire BRF would have been "cancelled" on Social Media.

I am 100% convinced of this. And I say it as a WOC.:ermm:

The die was cast the day that TV starlet (I forget her name) introduced Harry to Meghan. There was no turning back.

100 % agree on the cancel culture but look at it now. People are still implying the reason they left is because of racism. If you look up Prince William and Kate racism there's so many comments online without any proof.

Clearly though they should have approved it. No one knew what would happen but let's say Meghan had ulterior motive no one would know.

Last edited by a moderator:
Her presence was very fake I thought as was the presence of a lot of other celebs. I read that Harry really wanted to attend Lady Gabriella Windsor's wedding because he and William had been close to her and her brother growing up yet LG, among others in the family, was not invited to H's wedding while people like Oprah were. I definitely saw Meghan's hand in that and I also believe she never intended to stay in the UK after the wedding. I think the UK press played straight into her hands with criticising her a lot as it gave her the perfect excuse to go.

I found the Clooneys presence at the Sussex wedding equally "fake". I find George charming and his wife elegant beyond belief. But why did they make it a point to be there for Harry/Meghan nuptials but turned down their invitations for Jack/Eugenie a few months later?

Jack after all is George's employee...a brand ambassador for Casamigos tequila, founded by none other than Clooney himself. It would have made perfect sense for him to be there.

But then again...Eugenie and Jack are not as high profile as Harry and Meghan...nor was their wedding quite the "happening" that the Sussexes was.:whistling:

I truly loathe celebrity culture.?:

I found the Clooneys presence at the Sussex wedding equally "fake". I find George charming and his wife elegant beyond belief. But why did they make it a point to be there for Harry/Meghan nuptials but turned down their invitations for Jack/Eugenie a few months later?

Jack after all is George's employee...a brand ambassador for Casamigos tequila, founded by none other than Clooney himself. It would have made perfect sense for him to be there.

But then again...Eugenie and Jack are not as high profile as Harry and Meghan...nor was their wedding quite the "happening" that the Sussexes was.:whistling:

Jack isn't George Clooney's employee anymore. George Clooney, Rande Gerber and Mike Meldman sold Casamigos already in 2017 to Diageo.
George Clooney’s Tequila Company Sold for Up to $1 Billion - The New York Times

If I married into the Royal family, I would never want my husband to leave what he has always known. His family, his town, his duties, patronages and more. I would opt out if I had a problem but I would never move him away. But that's just me. It seems like Harry left everything behind and Meghan hasn't.

I am sure Chelsy and Cressida loved Harry but they didn't want to be in the institution and didn't want him to leave so they chose to move on.

I think he wanted to leave. Harry may be stubborn and if she tried to encourage him to stay he would not listen. I think Chelsy loved Harry and considers him a friend now. He may have confided in her about how he felt--she'll never tell. He apparently was very fond of her family in South Africa and they were a support group to him. Meghan and Harry are both in a New World for them. I truly hope they do well in charity work.

No one knew who Meghan Markle was, the series of Suits wasn't that great, or it would not be cancelled. I watched about 30 min. of it and lost interest. The engagement and marriage to Harry gave her the fame she so craved. She was a so so actress not really noticed by anyone, she wanted to be an A Lister what ever that means in their field. For me an A Lister is way something else, but prancing around in super low cut dresses and making stupid Statements?. Harry to me is a disappointment, I believe Diana would not be happy with him either. Putting all his problems and the blame on his mothers death for it won't cut it anymore. Meghan wanted fame she got it this way, she was not happy in the UK, so blame it on her being biracial, any excuse is better then admitting that all she wanted is fame and money she could not get it any other way. If the RF is such a disappointment to her ditch the HRH and the Dss, since she was not born with it anyway, but NO she wants that. I really hate to say this, but all the negativity which is said by her sister and father about her has a ring of trues to it??. For Oprah, she Meghan is a money maker and Harry is a side product like a little puppy being let by the nose. As long as Oprah's show was about the audience being the main factor the show was good, but when she became the VIP and everything was about HER it lost a lot. It seems EGO and GREED is not a good combination. I said it before she would have no problem with the RF as long as Harry would be in Williams place and she would be the next Queen this would be the cherry on the top. This may sound harsh to some , please connect the dots. Harry is in 6th place, he has about as much chance to be King as I have to be an Astronaut. If this sounds harsh to you so be it. I am a Realist and am able to put two plus two together and get four not 5.

There's a long history of women being blamed for their husbands' decisions. Henrietta Maria. Marie Antoinette. Alexandra Feodorovna. Yoko Ono got blamed for The Beatles splitting up. Victoria Beckham got blamed for David leaving United. I'm not a fan of Meghan, but Harry is a grown man in his mid 30s. Interesting point that the possibility of Harry leaving the Royal Family to marry Chelsy never seems to have come up, though. They could have moved to somewhere in southern Africa, which would have been much more Harry's thing than California (no offence to California).

And I don't think the Queen could have stopped the marriage even if she'd wanted to. Harry would have walked out and married Meghan anyway. Anyone who raises doubts about a relative or friend's choice of partner will find that they usually choose the partner over everyone else.

Real Countess, 1000000 % every word you said lol. She would not have had any problem staying if Harry was the director and she'd be in Kate's shows (AKA Queen) one day.

Here's how I get suspicious: Meghan claimed she didn't know anything about the Royal Family but she blogged about Kate Middleton. She shut down the blog after she married Harry and people found out about this. She even had a photo outside the Buckingham Palace but claimed she didn't know anything about them (Oh girl come on!)

She could easily say I will no longer be called Duchess of Sussex because I o not want to be Royal. Why are they so hell bent on using the title? Harry should remain HRH Prince Harry but she shouldn't use her title since she chose to leave the UK and go to California. But she loves that darn Duchess of Sussex and she will be eager to have it forever.

I don't think it will be controversial. Just have a feeling.

I really hope it isn’t controversial, I might be naive but I can’t see what the Royal family did wrong any way,!?...... From what I saw it was the press and her family stirring all the time , am I missing something?

I don't think Harry had any negative reaction to William's higher profile. For one thing it will be years yet before Harry is King and Harry always knew that Wiliam would be the one to be King. I think Harry accepted this long ago. I think though there are some frustrations of "spares". Princess Margaret complained she was not given a better education as she grew up and so forth. With the Oprah interview, I don't think it will be a Dimbleby/Bashir sort of interview. I hope they talk about their charities. I would like to see them talk about their causes. Harry needs to speak up for veterans for instance and continue to be an advocate for them.

I remember reading an article shortly after George or Charlotte was born, which stated that Harry said he only have a few years left before William's kids stole the spotlight from him. I always thought that statement was a bit odd and almost sound passive-aggressive, especially coming from a guy who was supposedly friendly to all children. But then again, we haven't seen pictures of Harry interacting with the Cambridge kids, so Harry might not be as close to the Cambridges as we would like to think.

Randy DRX, Andrew said more or less the same thing, saying now that Charles and Diana had their children there would be less pressure on him and he apparently didn't want to be King and the attention would be on the Wales children. It did turn out that Harry and william got more attention than he did. Harry's interactions with the Cambridge children had been kept quiet and not photographed. Harry talked about going to visit them and play with the children. I imagine they wanted some privacy for these times. Similarly there are no pictures of Pippa playing with the Cambridge children and no doubt she's a doting aunt.

Last edited:
Many people don't know where Liechtenstein is, let alone their royal family.

I certainly know. And I knew of the Princely Family of Liechtenstein long before Angela Brown married in.

I agree with the poster who said Princess Angela is a class act. Among European Royal prlncesses..she is second to none imo.BTW...you don't want to know some of the things said and written about that elegant and accomplished NON White woman when she married her Prince.

It wasn't pretty.:ohmy:

Oprah is well versed in these sort of big interviews. For various reasons over lockdown I've ended up watching quite a few of her interviews with big stars and there is a clear pattern to them that many others here have picked up on.

She asks quite pointed questions but always allows the interviewee to get away with quite bland answers. However, the question and the look on their face before they answer are always teased ahead, in reality most of the answers are an anti-climax but still it builds tension throughout when they keep going to break with a "...still to come..." moment. I think H&M will have chosen a few key things to say that aren't actually that horrendous but which will cause hurt - a bit like the "no one has asked me if I'm okay" and "we are on different paths", its not direct criticism of the RF and can be walked back - "I never said the RF were mean I meant the staff never asked if I was okay, the media never checked what they were doing was okay..." for example. It will be enough for Oprah and her team to make it seam a huge deal but H&M know which side their bread is buttered enough not to say "The Queen is a mean old racist who wouldn't give us what we want..."

H&M have much more to lose than Oprah in this - she can say it is her job to ask tough questions or can say "they've already been through enough" if she is said to be too tough / too easy. Charles has already turned down requests for interviews from her in the past and the likelyhood of her interviewing another other member of of the RF is slim to nothing. This is a bit of a swan song and she won't care how H&M look so long as its a ratings hit.

Last edited:
100 % agree on the cancel culture but look at it now. People are still implying the reason they left is because of racism. If you look up Prince William and Kate racism there's so many comments online without any proof. .

According to all polls, William and Kate are among the most popular members of the RF in the UK after only the Queen. Most of the online negativity about them seems to come from Americans who are not citizens of the UK or any other Commonwealth realm (Australia, Canada, etc.) where Elizabeth II is queen. I don't see any reason for concern then.

Prince William has also spoken extensively and in an official capacity against racism in Britain and elsewhere.

Last edited:
I remember reading an article shortly after George or Charlotte was born, which stated that Harry said he only have a few years left before William's kids stole the spotlight from him. I always thought that statement was a bit odd and almost sound passive-aggressive, especially coming from a guy who was supposedly friendly to all children. But then again, we haven't seen pictures of Harry interacting with the Cambridge kids, so Harry might not be as close to the Cambridges as we would like to think.

Interesting and I'd forgotten about that comment which I also find a bit sad. I wonder if Oprah will ask Prince Harry about his feelings about what would have been his possible role for the remainder of QEII's reign and the future reigns for Charles and William? What were his thoughts about the future as his nephews and niece would eventually be the focus of attention like he and his brother were before?

I've read that it was reported that Prince Harry didn't care for the most recent four generations photos taken in 2020. It was done for the Royal Legion Christmas Pudding campaign with the Queen, PoW and Duke of Cambridge doing their best to not be splattered by Prince George's enthusiastic stirring. :D

Now that wasn't the first four generations photo taken as there was the one taken at George's baptism and another when he was about 2 or 3. He was standing on some books as I recall. If what was reported about the 2019 photo true, then I have to wonder if George's uncle had some concerns about those photos too?:sad: 2016 https://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2...british-rulers-mark-new-decade-rare-portrait/

Last edited:

Ooh I forgot about this comment. We haven't seen him with Charlotte, Louis or Prince George. It's crazy to think that. I really feel bad that the Cambridge kids won't get to know Archie. He may be the forgotten child growing up as Eugenie, Beatrice, William, Zara and Peter's kids all grow up together. Quite sad.

15 years or so from now it's George's wedding day. Will Archie get an invite? Meghan? Harry? He'll have no relationship with his cousin.

I think George is too young for dynasty pictures. He needs to be a child and enjoy himself. William I recall had his first dynasty photo when he was a teen. That said, I think Harry does love the Cambridge children and he was making an observation which is true. The Cambridge children will get a lot of attention especially perhaps when they become teenagers.

Ooh I forgot about this comment. We haven't seen him with Charlotte, Louis or Prince George. It's crazy to think that. I really feel bad that the Cambridge kids won't get to know Archie. He may be the forgotten child growing up as Eugenie, Beatrice, William, Zara and Peter's kids all grow up together. Quite sad.

15 years or so from now it's George's wedding day. Will Archie get an invite? Meghan? Harry? He'll have no relationship with his cousin.

Yes I find it a bit sad that Archie isn't enjoying time with the younger Phillips, Tindall, and Cambridge kids as at least two of them are very close in age to Archie. Just at the right age to start enjoying a little parallel play and later more fun together. Archie's future sibling would also have two other cousins just the same age as him/her.

As to future wedding invitations from the Wessexes and later the Phillps, Tindalls, Cambridges, Brooksbanks, etc..., I do believe that they'll be issued but we'll have to see if they're accepted.

I think George is too young for dynasty pictures. He needs to be a child and enjoy himself. William I recall had his first dynasty photo when he was a teen. That said, I think Harry does love the Cambridge children and he was making an observation which is true. The Cambridge children will get a lot of attention especially perhaps when they become teenagers.

It's not unheard of among the European royals for three or even four generations to pose together even when the youngest is a baby or toddler.

Here's Denmark's QMI, CP Frederik and Prince Christian together when Christian is a baby.

https://www.google.com/search?q=roy...OFTQIHa1RDjwQ9QF6BAgNEAE#imgrc=bS4VegcCmeznuM

Here's Norway's three generations photo with Ingrid Alexandra as a toddler/preschooler.

https://www.google.com/search?q=roy...zJDQIHZrzB_kQ9QF6BAgKEAE#imgrc=NK7H-re1e80-LM

Perhaps that recent photo will be discussed with Prince Harry during the interview.

Last edited:
That picture was an awesome photo because you don't know if they'd ever have the chance for it. It's historic.

How old was the future king Edward VIII in the famous four generations picture with Queen Victoria and the future kings Edward VII and George V?

It's not unheard of among the European royals for three or even four generations to pose together even when the youngest is a baby or toddler.

Here's Denmark's QMI, CP Frederik and Prince Christian together when Christian is a baby.

https://www.google.com/search?q=roy...OFTQIHa1RDjwQ9QF6BAgNEAE#imgrc=bS4VegcCmeznuM

Here's Norway's three generations photo with Ingrid Alexandra as a toddler/preschooler.

https://www.google.com/search?q=roy...zJDQIHZrzB_kQ9QF6BAgKEAE#imgrc=NK7H-re1e80-LM

Perhaps that recent photo will be discussed with Prince Harry during the interview.

Irony aside, I doubt Oprah's average audience knows a lot about Norway or Denmark, let alone that they have a royal family.

Last edited:

They are historical photographs. A Queen who we hope will see her Platinum Jubilee with the next 3 in the succession. Secondly what family would not have photographs of the 4 generations.
I acknowledge what you are saying about William being in his teens but George is the 4th Generation , so waiting until he is a teen might not be such a good idea if you want the historical photograph.
William has always said his role is to ensure George and all his children have a happy safe and secure childhood. He has tried to find a balance that we have an opportunity to see the children or at least photographs but they are not often out in public.

Are we to take it then that Harry was unhappy when William had photographs taken with Charles and the Queen for historical purposes. I am not sure if it was a birthday or a jubilee but there is at least one photograph of the three of them. Maybe Harry has been harbouring these feelings of resentment for some time. It has been said that his mother tried to ensure he was never left out because she knew the focus would be on William as the heir.

How old was the future king Edward VIII in the famous four generations picture with Queen Victoria and the future kings Edward VII and George V?

Irony aside, I doubt Oprah's average audience knows a lot about Norway or Denmark, let alone that they have a royal family.

The photo was taken in 1899 so he's about 4-5 years old in that photo. Thank you for sharing it as the only four generation: Victoria, Edward VII, George V, Edward VIII photo that I'd seen before was at David's christening.

I do have to wonder if Oprah is going to go with a line of questioning for Prince Harry regarding his feelings on what would have been his future role(s) for possible three reigns: father, brother nephew?

Last edited:
What I find amazing is that this thread had dropped to the level of every little thing the BRF, the cousins, the guests at the wedding and the street vendors in Windsor time have done over time. Its centralizing on relationships within the BRF and statements and events that have really been played up in the press ad nauseum thinking this'll all affect the upcoming interview. Maybe if the interviewer was Piers Morgan or Dan Wooten, I'd think there was some merit.

This is CBS. This isn't even Oprah's channel or Oprah's show. Along with all the negative things being said about Oprah, the woman is not only a successful and prominent interviewer here in the States, she is also well known for being a humanitarian. This is a woman that is astute enough and intelligent enough to know the difference between getting information and setting off publicity bombs. Oprah and Harry and Meghan, I do not believe, would have been given a 90 minute spot on prime time TV to do harm. The purpose is to highlight Harry and Meghan, themselves. They are not going to want to be represented as has beens with sour grapes on their breath. Any "complaint" aired would be ones that legitimately (to them) that detracted from the work they wanted to do, how they wanted to work and how they were represented in the UK press (that alone could fill a half hour). In other words, what went wrong in their public roles. They won't touch on the family being racist nor that Kate made Meghan cry or that they were sent to the boonies at Frogmore.

I see them touching on their family life with Archie and the impeding birth of their second child. I see them touching on Archewell and what they hope to accomplish with it. I expect them to touch on how Covid has affected them and those around them (perhaps even including that they've not seen Harry's family in over a year). I expect them to touch on a lot of things without trashing *anybody* personally. I expect Harry to touch on the Invictus Games and how it's been cancelled but talk about how its going to go forward. There's so much to touch on that they don't *need* to use this interview to lash out and try and turn this interview into a tabloid style "tell all".

JMO of course.

Even if Archie Harrison was living at Frogmore, I’d doubt he’d see his cousins outside of public photo opportunities.

TBH, even if Archie spent every day this year with his cousins, when he was older, he wouldn't remember them. How much do any of us remember from when we were under 5 years old? :D

Last edited:
I agree with Osipi's last post. Nobody, and I emphasise nobody, knows what is in the forthcoming interview except Harry, Meghan, Oprah Winfrey and her production crew.

The British media don't know either, none of them, though several journalists and commentators have indulged in huge amounts of guesswork over the last three days for sure.
It might be good to remember in every such assertion that Meghan is going to accuse this Royal or or another, that the British media has a very big axe to grind with the Sussexes because of Meghan's victory in her privacy case. They have a vested interest in raising the emotional atmosphere surrounding this interview, as it serves their own ends.

To hear some commentators one would imagine that Meghan will almost certainly attack the Queen, Prince Charles, William and Kate in some venom filled attack for 90 minutes, with Harry coming in to throw some more fuel over the fire in the end. When have either of them personally attacked any member of the Royal Family in anything we've heard it from their own lips?

Also, picking out incidents, photographs and remarks from four or five years ago and guessing from them some supposed lingering feelings of a person or persons none of us know personally, and averring therefore this and that is going to come out in this interview is not really helpful, is it?

It is going to be interesting to see what is said here and elsewhere after the interview is aired if the Sussexes concentrate when speaking to Oprah on their family life, how they've settled down in the US, Archewell, their new home, future charity endeavours and their hopes for the coming years.

Meghan may touch on her difficulties with Palace officials when joining the RF. I don't know. However she is not likely to name names even then, and one thing I am absolutely certain of is that she will not be insulting any of her husband's family, even if she wanted to, and I don't believe she does. Why? Because she knows he loves them and they love him.

This article references Harry’s remarks about having a small window to have a positive impact before William’s children take over https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news...rry-says-no-one-royal-family-wants-king-queen, rather sad reading now, when he made those remarks he was hopeful about his future role w/in the family. So much water under the bridge and so much vitriol directed at his now wife since those halcyon days.
Harry and William are very different personalities. William is pragmatic, a bit OCD, cautious, staid almost, some would consider him cold and aloof. It took him what, a decade to settle on Kate. Harry is passionate, emotional, and leads with his heart, he ‘knew’ Meghan was the right one almost immediately.
The William type personalities seem to do better w/ the role a royal must play. Life in the RF of this century has not been easy for the Harry types. Look at David & Princess Margaret - emotional types ruled by their hearts and I believe both lead somewhat unhappy lives.
No matter what is said in the Oprah interview, those wanting to spin it negatively will do so, irrespective of the meaning of the actual words uttered, they’ll misinterpret or misconstrue things to feed their pre-existing biases. I suspect the Sussexes know they won’t alter that group of haters, perhaps their goal is to find common cause with a new audience, one that will enable them to make a positive difference, to paraphrase Harry from that long ago interview. I’m not sure it will work, celebrities pushing charitable causes are a dime a dozen here in the states, so it’ll be interesting to see if their message resonates w/ the unbiased (for or against) among the audience.

Last edited:
This is so far-fetched. Are you honestly suggesting that Harry, a grown man, wanted to Gabriella there but Meghan told him no? :lol:

There were what? 600 people at their wedding? Including extended family members you've never seen Harry interact with publicly (such as Lady Alexandra Knatchbull – whose wedding Harry, in return, did not attend) and his brother's in-laws. If it meant a lot to him to have Gabriella there, he would've invited her.
Who are the brothers in law?

I don't believe I referenced any brothers in law? :cool:

I have the feeling, she thought she and Harry would be as grand in housing an money and everything else as William & Cathrine ...

None of what you say in your post is true regarding Meghan, although there are probably tabloids trying to push that narrative.

In fact, Harry & Meghan rented a converted barn in the Cotswolds until someone leaked the whereabouts to paps and tabloids, and the property was harmfully intruded upon. Meghan & Harry never had any interest in an overly grand royal lifestyle with a huge staff. Where the Sussexes live now is a wonderful property, but it's more west coast Garden of Eden, than it is snooty, palatial and frosty upper class. The original owners who built the Montecito property love Italian and French architecture, so they designed the home with those preferences in mind. They raised a happy family there. But the tabloids have only abounded with off-putting tales of the later Russian owner who barely, if ever, lived there and who spent years trying to unload it as an investment property.

In California, H&M have a very comfortable, wealthy lifestyle, but it's not overly grand. It's laid-back and down-to-earth. Meghan is a California girl who loves to work hard, and she also loves giving back to others and lifting up those less privileged than she has worked to become. Her head isn't turned by tiaras and ballgowns. She has a lot more substance and character than some people seem willing or able to acknowledge.

There is an interesting article in The Spectator (Australia), which observed:
"The royals, and those who surround them, still can’t see what they have jettisoned. It will be on display when Meghan and Harry’s interview with Oprah is broadcast."

https://www.spectator.com.au/2021/02/the-monarchy-failed-harry-and-meghan/

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom