The Duke and Duchess of Sussex with Oprah I - Pre-interview, Feb-March 2021

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Now, you will also have Meghan and Harry complaining about life in the US and how it should be reformed....

Actually it is a right of any American to complain about life in the US and talk about how it should be reformed. As it is, to be fair, also a right of Brits to do so in the UK. They don't live in 1930s Germany or in the old Soviet Union, so they can disagree with the way their country is run and advocate reform.

Having said that, the likes of Meghan, I think, have been now considerably calmed down after the "fascist President" (to use another poster's words) has left office and now that the Democrats are in control of both houses of Congress. There is still a lingering battle for the so-called "Progressives" within the Democratic Party to get an upper-hand over the more moderate or even conservative President Joe Biden, but I don't expect Meghan to be quite vocal or overly woke in her Oprah interview as she was during the election campaign. If anything, she may talk about "what a great opportunity we have now" to make some "fundamental changes in this country".

Last edited:
For all that talk about how Meghan is a strong and brave woman, she is certainly very thin-skinned. Her treatment from the press isn't any worse from the previous married-ins, and at least the press didn't give her an insulting moniker like "Waity Katie" or "The Duchess of Pork".

This always reminds me of that old saying about "a lion never has to tell anyone it's a lion" and I must say that it certainly rings true. If you have to tell everyone that you're strong and brave and independent and all of those sorts of things, chances are that you're really anything but.

This always reminds me of that old saying about "a lion never has to tell anyone it's a lion" and I must say that it certainly rings true. If you have to tell everyone that you're strong and brave and independent and all of those sorts of things, chances are that you're really anything but.
Well its a bit like poor Diana saying she was a strong woman.. when she was clealry anything but... but with Meghan it veers between "Im a strong powerful woman" and "Im a delicate sensitive soul.. please ask me how I am doing..."

Oprah with Meghan and Harry

Actually it is a right of any American to complain about life in the US and talk about how it should be reformed. As it is, to be fair, also a right of Brits to do so in the UK. They don't live in 1930s Germany or in the old Soviet Union, so they can disagree with the way their country is run and advocate reform.

Having said that, the likes of Meghan, I think, have been now considerably calmed down after the "fascist President" (to use another poster's words) has left office and now that the Democrats are in control of both houses of Congress. There is still a lingering battle for the so-called "Progressives" within the Democratic Party to get an upper-hand over the more moderate or even conservative President Joe Biden, but I don't expect Meghan to be quite vocal or overly woke in her Oprah interview as she was during the election campaign. If anything, she may talk about "what a great opportunity we have now" to make some "fundamental changes in this country".

Unlike some Meghan’s critics, I don’t believe in the rumours and speculation that she would run for office in the White House or other political roles in the Democrat Party. Politics is very “cut-throat”, short-lived and “often end in failures”. There is definitely more scrutiny and intrusion in politics than Royal Family.

Meghan will probably continue to be a Democrat supporter like other celebrities and campaign for progressive causes on the US. She could theoretically mention this without actually being party political in the Oprah’s interview. But this will give the current British Government (under the Conservative) the ammunition to dislike the Sussexes even more (mainly because of opposing viewpoints). And they are most likely to not defend the couple if any negative reactions/stories come out (Well, they have better things to do in parliament to start with). It would not surprise me if they stand on The Queen & Royal Family side.

Let’s not forget the parliamentary letter written from female House of Commons MP to Meghan in mid-late 2019 (as a solidarity for the “racial and misogynistic abuse), most of them were from Labour followed by Lib Dem. There were less than 10 Conservative MPs (probably because most of them were focusing on Brexit). And that was when the Sussexes were still in the Firm

Last edited:
And on that note let's end this political intermezzo and return to the topic of this thread, which is the duke and duchess of Sussex and their schedueled interview with the American media personality Oprah Winfrey. New posts about US politics or about the American culture war will be deleted.

Last edited:
The Government does not "like" or "dislike" Harry and Meghan. The Government is trying to deal with the worst crisis since the Second World War. Politicians of all parties have far more important things to worry about than Harry and Meghan, and who says what on a TV talk show. The same applies to American politicians of all parties. These are difficult times. This interview will undoubtedly attract a lot of attention, but it's not a political matter, and people in both the UK and the US have got other things to worry about.

Last edited:
. As I recall, Oprah DID interview the Duchess of York some years ago and I remember watching the O network and seeing the Duchess on her own reality show. So Harry and Meghan were not the first. Supposedly she wanted to interview Diana but nothing came of it.

. As I recall, Oprah DID interview the Duchess of York some years ago and I remember watching the O network and seeing the Duchess on her own reality show. So Harry and Meghan were not the first. Supposedly she wanted to interview Diana but nothing came of it.

Here's a clip from the interview in 1996.

Well no more royal Duty. but keeping the title. Wonder if this was the plan all along? Harry is a born Prince Ok. But Maghan is a married in one, I think for her it should be the same as for Sarah.

Well no more royal Duty. but keeping the title. Wonder if this was the plan all along? Harry is a born Prince Ok. But Maghan is a married in one, I think for her it should be the same as for Sarah.

Women get their titles from their husbands in English common law. Sarah was divorced and that is why she ceased to be an HRH. As long as Harry is a prince and a duke and Meghan is married to him, she will have the right to use his titles too.

It certainly isn't surprising that Americans and British people view the BRF through different lenses. However, there are plenty of Britons who also regard the Royal Family as rather irrelevant figures who add nothing to their lives and very little to the national picture, including an increasing number of the young.

And considering how Mike Graham and TalkRadio talking heads as well as the tabloid media, 'Royal experts' and commentators make a great deal of noise and money talking about the Sussexes in negative terms they had all better hope that the couple don't disappear into obscurity in the near future!

Talk Radio would thrive whether the Sussexes were current or not but yes I agree that the tabloid media see the couple as a cash cow as I've mentioned on TRF before. At the same time there are those who support them who also profit from the their high profile.

The irony is that my (unscientific) instinct is that a lot of people in Britain are weary of hearing about them & want the media to just stop. There was a lot of disbelief that there was a question on the Sussexes on BBC Question Time last night. Incredulity that such a trivial topic would come up on what is supposed to be a serious flag ship programme.

Last edited:
We'll see what they say. I'm not interested enough to watch the long interview but I'll read what everyone thinks here.

People claim to not be interested in the Sussexes but clearly that is not true. People I have no interest in I ignore. I couldn't tell you what is a Jonas Brother is doing on a daily basis because I don't care. Lol.

That is the same for the press. I someone ask if they would continue covering Harry and Meghan since they were officially no longer working royals and basically they said nothing had changed. They were still members of the royal family and therefore will be covered.

It is not hard to ignore things that disinterest you. But there is a line line.... and that is what grabs and sells.

People claim to not be interested in the Sussexes but clearly that is not true. People I have no interest in I ignore. I couldn't tell you what is a Jonas Brother is doing on a daily basis because I don't care. Lol.

That is the same for the press. I someone ask if they would continue covering Harry and Meghan since they were officially no longer working royals and basically they said nothing had changed. They were still members of the royal family and therefore will be covered.

It is not hard to ignore things that disinterest you. But there is a line line.... and that is what grabs and sells.

I didn't say I wasn't interested the Sussexes. I said I didn't like Oprah and don't care to watch one of her interviews.

Oprah was proven to be a Weinstein enabler.

However, this could go very bad because if they say anything that harms the institution, this could force them to remove their titles and body language is important here.

Sarah did get to keep the Duchess of York title. Had she remarried she would have lost that title.

I didn't say I wasn't interested the Sussexes. I said I didn't like Oprah and don't care to watch one of her interviews.

I didn't mean you in particular but in a broad sense.

As for the titles -- never say never but I would be surprised to see them stripped of them when others still have it. I just don't see the royals wanting to open that can of worms.

I had read at the time that in preparation for the interview, Oprah was demanding that Sarah wear her tiara for the interview. Sarah refused point-blank, to her credit.

The promos at the time, the little teasers leading up to the interview had Oprah leading into a question with, (very loud) "You are living with The Queen in the castle!"

It makes me wonder if Oprah will again get into those trappings of royalty when interviewing Meghan. This is going to be a long interview, with a whole hour before Harry joins them. I expect tiara-talk, and palace-talk.

Sarah did get to keep the Duchess of York title. Had she remarried she would have lost that title.

She didn't quit the family, she divorced and her/Andrew are still on good terms the problem with the Sussex's is they quit the family and have given leaks to Omid during this time.

The difference is that those were documentaries that they claim they didn't participate in. You can make a documentary about anyone without their permission.

Your comments appear to be a misreading of what I was talking about in response to another poster emphasizing the 'celebrity' aspect of H&M's lives. As I pointed out previously, Meghan was born and grew up in L.A., and she was familiar with television show production due to her Dad working on a couple of prominent television series. Meghan also had a background in theater and performing in school productions from a young age.

However, even after she hit it big on the successful show, Suits, Meghan was not a well-known, high profile celebrity. She was a successful, professional working actress, and she used her success to give back, always with a focus on humanitarian causes and advocacy for women and girls. She's always had depth and substance to her character. She's not a lightweight, frivolous person, regardless of how critics view her.

The main point is that Meghan was not catapulted to worldwide fame and high interest A-list celebrity until she met, dated, and married Prince Harry. And even then, as Meghan said in the SA documentary, she was not familiar with non-stop tabloid treatment, particularly not of the abusive kind that is prevalent in the U.K. As Meghan said, she expected royal life to be difficult, but she also thought media coverage would at least be fair and based on reality and truth, not on lies and fiction.

In regard to Prince Harry and other royals, they are born into royalty. And in the modern world, no matter who thinks differently, royalty in and of itself equates to celebrity. Whether or not prominent royals agree to or seek out attention, the attention will always be there, particularly when they have charismatic appeal -- that goes for members of royalty around the world. But of course, it's the British royals who are the most high profile, historically. Again, it's not about whether the royals agree to interviews or documentary coverage. They all do at different times for different reasons. But surely none of them enjoy errant and abusive tabloid treatment

They did do interviews the one that sticks out in my mind is the one with Matt Lauer... As I see it the problem with this interview is that it is being made out to be an ax to grind type interview about the royal family. Gail didn't help matters by announcing it was going to be a no holds barred interview.

My guess is that it's just going to be a generic interview about their charities with pictures of Archie...

I don't think they want to sever all their ties with the royals with an interview telling nasty bits of gossip about them. Harry is slated to go to the UK to see them all again.

Yes, that was an interesting interview the brothers had with Lauer back in the day. There has always been a huge amount of interest in the U.S. in William and Harry because they are Diana's sons, and Diana was beloved around the world.

In regard to the Oprah interview, the CBS announcement states that it will be an intimate, wide-ranging interview. I don't know exactly what Gayle King said, but if she referenced 'no-holds barred,' that is the same way the show is being promoted by the production company and by CBS. However, it is pure speculation coming from U.K. media and some observers that 'no-holds barred' somehow equates to the Sussexes 'having an ax to grind.' Or that it somehow means they will 'tell nasty bits of gossip.'

Such speculative characterizations are in the minds of those who are framing the upcoming interview that way. But to the contrary, that is not how the interview is being promoted, and it's not how the Sussexes have characterized it. Their critics can believe what they will, frame it as they will, and whine about it endlessly as they will, because apparently this is how the U.K. media and certain other observers wish to view M&H, no matter what M&H do or say.

It was recently reported on social media that one U.K. publication posted 22 articles about Meghan and Harry in one day!!!! Meghan and Harry have done nothing to invite or encourage such ridiculous excess! In fact, I believe the Oprah interview came about recently as an effort by M&H to be done with this over-the-top frivolous clickbait and constantly negative U.K. tabloid excess for once and for all.

See Chris Ship's revelations in my below post, which only confirm my suspicions that M&H are reacting to the constant U.K. media clickbait about them by deciding to speak with Oprah. It seems to me M&H wish to shut down the OTT negativity and pointless clickbait articles about them, as much as they can.

Last edited:
... I expect tiara-talk, and palace-talk.

No matter anyone's expectations, it's all assumption and speculation regarding the content and impact of the upcoming interview. I would also say that no matter what Meghan and Harry actually say during the interview, it will be spun according to the preconceived notions by those who obviously continue to believe and to perpetuate in print the worst perceptions existing in their heads about the Sussexes for whatever reason.

On the most recent Royal Rota broadcast taped yesterday (the M&H news that broke today is not covered), Chris Ship and Lizzie Robinson discussed the Sussexes' pregnancy news, and they also spoke at length about the Oprah interview.

I don't know if this has been discussed elsewhere, but Ship revealed that ITV knew about the interview deal being worked out between the Sussexes and Oprah (before the pregnancy announcement was released). Ship did not say how ITV came into possession of the Oprah interview news. But he said ITV contacted the Sussexes to let them know ITV was going to broadcast and publish the information. Ship contends that's the reason why M&H decided to send out the pregnancy announcement when they did. According to Ship, the announcement was not originally planned to be released on Valentine's Day. As well, Ship says that the interview contract with Oprah was subsequently 'hurried' to completion and CBS broke the news to avoid ITV scooping it before them.

Last edited:
... I agree that the tabloid media see the couple as a cash cow as I've mentioned on TRF before. At the same time there are those who support them who also profit from the their high profile.

The irony is that my (unscientific) instinct is that a lot of people in Britain are weary of hearing about them & want the media to just stop. There was a lot of disbelief that there was a question on the Sussexes on BBC Question Time last night. Incredulity that such a trivial topic would come up on what is supposed to be a serious flag ship programme.

Wow, re that last about a 'serious U.K. flagship programme' going on about the Sussexes who stepped back a year ago. Everything M&H have done since then, with establishing their foundation, buying a Montecito home, and inking lucrative production deals tells me, and is quite clear in my estimation, that they never had any intention of revisiting the reported option of 'returning to the royal fold.'

Plus, as I've already noted, and it's confirmed by Ship's revelations, the Sussexes are mainly speaking to Oprah in an effort to shut down the excessive noise about them constantly printed in the U.K. media, so much of it apparently made up, negative and off-base.

And yes, I agree that M&H are seen as 'a cash cow' by many in the U.K. media. That would be one reason why there have been so many articles framed around some royal reporters wanting Harry to come back. Once Harry made the decision he made for himself and his core family, there was never any chance that he was ever coming back as a senior royal. He will return when it's possible to visit his family, as a private citizen. And he will continue to be supportive to the groups, friends and organizations he's always loved and desired to lift up.

One U.K. journalist blatantly said the other day: “If Meghan and Harry came back and did lovely shots for the press with their babies, I think the press could be very favorable."

Wow, that really tells us all we need to know. For one thing, that's not going to happen. But honestly, it's always been for many in the media about having access to and making money off of writing about and taking pictures of M&H, without any regard to accuracy and fairness, or to M&H's humanity, or to their need for less intrusiveness into their private lives as a young family.

Last edited:
No matter anyone's expectations, it's all assumption and speculation regarding the content and impact of the upcoming interview. I would also say that no matter what Meghan and Harry actually say during the interview, it will be spun according to the preconceived notions by those who obviously continue to believe and to perpetuate in print the worst perceptions existing in their heads about the Sussexes for whatever reason.

I have no idea how the Sussexes will answer any questions put to them. I wish Meghan good luck. Ninety minutes! That's as long as a feature film.

I do know that this will be a relatively rare television event which people will tune into on the night it is first broadcast. CBS has a nice opportunity for advertising revenue. DeBeers, anyone?

See, if Oprah knows anything, it is her core audience. She knew them back when she interviewed Sarah York and entreatied her to wear her tiara on air, and she knows them now. I guarantee there will be questions about jewels, royal homes, horse-drawn coaches and anything remotely princessy.

Anyone who has watched an Oprah interview of a royal or royal connect, knows she is not going to ask them to wear a tiara. Or major dirt on the queen.

Yes she made a dumb joke 'did you get to keep the tiara' to Sarah.

But if you watch her interviews with Sarah, or with Charles Spencer even, she never asks for 'dirt'. She doesn't want the 'inside scoop'. The only royal related questions are about how they impacted the person she is interviewing. Like speaking to Sarah about her apartments in Buckingham and how different it was trying to settle into palace life. On a personal level.

Its ridiculous how many articles come out daily about Harry and Meghan. Both in the UK and else where. With all types of rubbish left and right.

I dont blame them for wanting to try and set some of the BS straight. And with someone that they trust to tell the story they want to tell.

... I guarantee there will be questions about jewels, royal homes, horse-drawn coaches and anything remotely princessy.

LOL! Indeed, many of us likely still hold some 'fantasy princessy' notions, because to be quite honest, it's a part of Western culture. It just is. For me personally, the aftermath of the Diana saga is what began to inform me that the myths and imaginings about fairytales and living happily ever after as a princess in a palace were definitely not everything such myths and fairytales have forever been portrayed as being!

With how I've seen the Sussexes story play out to date regarding their time as senior royals, I am even more enlightened about the 'fantasy fairytale' of 'princessy tiaras' and the overly high price of believing in and tying everything you hold significant to such empty luxuries. Life in the gilded cage is not worth selling your soul for, or settling for due to some outdated notions of duty, held by others.

I don't know exactly what 'princessy' notions Meghan may have held, particularly as a child, who did not escape growing up in Western culture any more than any of us. The difference with Meghan, as I have come to learn, is that she is confident, self-made, and self-actualized. She doesn't shy away from reality and brass tacks. She's savvy about people and she knows how to realize her dreams by the sweat of her brow and her own initiative. She's used to accepting personal responsibility and to being able to speak up for herself and for others in need. Therefore, at some point in her life, she probably let go of any 'princessy' or god forbid, 'knight in shining armor' fantasies she may have held as a child. She's been all about facing reality, learning lessons, living in the moment, being grateful for her blessings, and giving back, after first taking care of her own life.

As Meghan told us in the Vanity Fair interview in September 2017: "I'm not defined by my relationships." This declaration tells me so much about Meghan's down-to-earth strength of character. Sure she enjoys fashion, she loves shoes, she has an affinity for enjoying a comfortable, high style life. But she's also deeply committed to using her success as a platform to help others thrive too.

IMO, Meghan does not seem tiffed or overly affected by access to or non-access to tiaras and ballgowns. She's about being real and about communicating on a human level and about getting things done that she sets for herself to achieve. She 'ticked off' the successful acting career box in style. Even before she met Harry, she was on a trajectory beyond Suits. In mid-2016, just before meeting Harry, she was in the process of preparing for a more involved career in philanthropy, while also setting her sights on creative projects, including a possible cooking show or cookbook. That's why the Hubb Community's Together cookbook was a wonderful project which aligned with the person Meghan already was before she met and married Harry.

Another relevant quote by Meghan which is very resonant and indicative of who she is, I once read on her Tig website or in an article she wrote, or possibly on her former Instagram. She was speaking about her friendship with Serena Williams and why they bonded with each other so quickly:

"Serena and I are alike in that we are both endlessly ambitious, and we always desire to exceed other people's expectations."

That's straight-up honest and sincere, in my view. It tells me a lot about Meghan, with no need to twist, misread, or mischaracterize.

Last edited:
his behaviour was appalling and he's rightly retired from royal duties.. But Harry's behavior while nothing like as bad.. is going ot go on and on. He will be still in the US in later years and probably there will still be a tension between him and Wiliam... but probably feelings will cool over time and they'll just shrug him off and ignore him....

As we all have siblings, I'm sure we know that it's impossible to always get along, despite loving each other. At some point, you might disagree with, or not like or not share interests in common with a sibling. For those who always have great relations with your siblings, you're lucky!

I'll be interested to see whether any reference is made in the Oprah interview regarding personal relationships Harry has with immediate members of the royal family. I think Harry probably has more issues with the U.K. tabloids and with some of the royal courtiers. Harry may feel he's already said enough about his relationship with his brother, and he may defer elaborating if asked by Oprah. The interview will likely be more about looking forward and moving forward. As M&H said on their first Archewell Audio podcast, "Love Wins!"

It's all over the news this morning that Kim Kardashian is divorcing Kanye West. I'm sorry that things haven't worked out for them, but does this actually need to be mentioned in the news headlines, especially when so much else is going on? I'm not particularly comparing them to Harry and Meghan, but the point is that celeb news is always big news. Maybe it shouldn't be, but it is.

It's all over the news this morning that Kim Kardashian is divorcing Kanye West. I'm sorry that things haven't worked out for them, but does this actually need to be mentioned in the news headlines, especially when so much else is going on? I'm not particularly comparing them to Harry and Meghan, but the point is that celeb news is always big news. Maybe it shouldn't be, but it is.

I think you raise a good point about celebrities and how the stories comes and goes like a conveyor belt.

Speaking of celebrity, Simon McCoy (BBC TV News presenter) tweeted recently that Harry & Meghan will probably be covered by Showbiz Correspondents and the Entertainment media industry. Yes Sarah, Duchess of York and The (9th) Earl Spencer have appeared on the Oprah interview, but the TV program itself would always being classified in the entertainment category. Perhaps Oprah might ask Meghan about celebrity lifestyles before joining the Royal Family and after leaving as senior royals.
Simon McCoy @BBCSimonMcCoy
The test will come when stories about Harry and Meghan are covered by Showbiz Correspondents rather than Royal Correspondents #HarryandMeghan
11:18 PM · Feb 19, 2021·Twitter for iPhone​

Even Andrew Neil (former BBC journalist and broadcaster) was not keen on Harry & Meghan, especially when they announced that their appearance on Oprah. Andrew Neil himself is very busy launching GB News and reporting The Spectator's (of whom he is the Chairman of) involvement with the Alex Salmond's inquiry. He even started his tweet "It’s hardly a huge issue but", when he quoted Neil Henderson's tweet on the Daily Mail's front cover.
Andrew Neil @afneil
It’s hardly a huge issue but do we now need to refer to them as duke and duchess. Surely Mr and Ms would be more appropriate and they’d want that too.
8:40 AM · Feb 20, 2021·Twitter for iPad​

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom