The Duke and Duchess of Sussex and Family, News and Events 8: April - August 2023

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Currently, she is working as an immigration lawyer and associate at Fragomen in San Francisco, so I presume she lives there. 5 or 6 hours drive from Montecito.

I just checked and it's about 5 hours and 45 if she were to take the 101 which is far more scenic than the 5 south.

do we expect Harry to be in Scotland for the Service of the King/Queen next week

I very much doubt it. I don't believe we'll see the wider RF there never mind Harry jetting in from America for it. The Wales' are confirmed to attend, Anne is Edinburgh at that time but with engagements on that day but may well squeeze in attending but other royals have engagements elsewhere that day.

Harry has consistently failed to support his father and his late grandmother for many years now. They have only attended the biggest events and then in mostly a "family" capacity which puts them on par with the rest of the cousins, which they hate. Even if no other cousins were there I can't see him wanting to attend an event where it's clear William outranks him.

They haven't accepted an invitation to Scotland since they married and he was in and out of the coronation extremely fast. I doubt it will happen.

I just checked and it's about 5 hours and 45 if she were to take the 101 which is far more scenic than the 5 south.

And while she might have grown up in southern California, now that she's living in NORTHERN California, Ashley would get the side-eye from anyone if she put "the" in front of 101 or 5 south (which is correctly called I-5 by everyone who lives north of the Grapevine ;).

Also, I seriously doubt that estimate of 5 hours & 45 minutes from SF to Santa Barbara. I would pad on at least 30-45 minutes just for traffic, especially down the Peninsula.

Harry has consistently failed to support his father and his late grandmother for many years now. They have only attended the biggest events and then in mostly a "family" capacity which puts them on par with the rest of the cousins, which they hate. Even if no other cousins were there I can't see him wanting to attend an event where it's clear William outranks him.

William will always outrank him. He has always known this. He or someone else should have explained precedence to Meghan Markle.

And while she might have grown up in southern California, now that she's living in NORTHERN California, Ashley would get the side-eye from anyone if she put "the" in front of 101 or 5 south (which is correctly called I-5 by everyone who lives north of the Grapevine ;).

Also, I seriously doubt that estimate of 5 hours & 45 minutes from SF to Santa Barbara. I would pad on at least 30-45 minutes just for traffic, especially down the Peninsula.

:lol: SoCal born and raised.

William will always outrank him. He has always known this. He or someone else should have explained precedence to Meghan Markle.

Sure, William will always outrank him but he doesn't appear to have actually, truly realised this until relatively recently. Or at least understood what it meant. In fact it's become pretty clear that Harry did and does not have the slightest clue about anything beyond his own orbit in the BRF. As in things a new poster to TRF could find the first time they came here almost.

Which IMHO is why he's now complaining about hilariously petty, bitter stuff like William allegedly getting an extra sausage at breakfast years ago.

I don't think he prepped Meghan well at all and probably thought his popularity meant they could do anything (which is also a Hollywood POV) but she also had a responsibility to herself to research everything she could about this, which she has said she didn't do. She was a mid 30's divorced career woman who was on national TV, who knew how to network. That is her own fault as well.

Anyway, I don't think we'll be seeing him outside of the Biggest Events in the future, but who knows?

I wonder what the next event Harry attends would be? Maybe if Peter Phillips gets remarried?

I wonder what the next event Harry attends would be? Maybe if Peter Phillips gets remarried?

I doubt it. If you look at the video of the cousins walking into the Abbey at the Coronation /- Peter, Zara, and Mike hardly looked at Harry.

Sure, William will always outrank him but he doesn't appear to have actually, truly realised this until relatively recently. Or at least understood what it meant. In fact it's become pretty clear that Harry did and does not have the slightest clue about anything beyond his own orbit in the BRF. As in things a new poster to TRF could find the first time they came here almost.

When he was a genial third wheel and/or respected representative of the late monarch, he had bachelor housing and was not costly. When men in his position marry, the precedence, income, staff requirements and limitations have to be delineated in some way to the spouse. Tina Brown wrote that the late Queen offered not only Samantha Cohen but Lady Susan Hussey to help Meghan with her new role. Samantha was put on the team, but Lady Susan was rejected. Meghan said, "I have Harry."
Which IMHO is why he's now complaining about hilariously petty, bitter stuff like William allegedly getting an extra sausage at breakfast years ago.

I don't think he prepped Meghan well at all and probably thought his popularity meant they could do anything (which is also a Hollywood POV) but she also had a responsibility to herself to research everything she could about this, which she has said she didn't do. She was a mid 30's divorced career woman who was on national TV, who knew how to network. That is her own fault as well.

Anyway, I don't think we'll be seeing him outside of the Biggest Events in the future, but who knows?

I don't think he was equipped to prep Meghan for Royal life, even a somewhat unconventional royal life. She could have had more of a Tim Laurence role. Supportive, a strong and sturdy presence while attending to military obligations (in Meghan's case, charitable female-oriented interests) while being there for her Royal spouse at the big ceremonies. Harry knew full well that the late Queen's Ladies in Waiting knew every little thing about court life.

If he wanted his wife to be a big part of the family, he would have acted differently.

I wouldn't be surprised if the main/only contact in the coming years is presents being sent to Archie and Lili for their birthdays and Christmas.

Anything else will require H and M to contact courtiers who will act as a buffer between them and the BRF.

I think Archie and Lili will grow up knowing that the BRF is part of their family background, but not a big part of their own lives. To me it seems like a good thing that the children of the King’s second son know from the start they won’t ever have any sort of official role representing the institution. That sort of clarity is better than the children growing up with uncertainty about what options they may or may not have.

It would be nice for archie and Lili if they could be like Zara and Peter Philips, who always knew they wouldn’t have official roles in the BRF, but who grew up as loved and valued members of the private family. The best of both worlds, really. They’re currently a long way off from that scenario, though.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think Archie and Lili will grow up knowing that the BRF is part of their family background, but not a big part of their own lives. To me it seems like a good thing that the children of the King’s second son know from the start they won’t ever have any sort of official role representing the institution. That sort of clarity is better than the children growing up with uncertainty about what options they may or may not have.

It would be nice for archie and Lili if they could be like Zara and Peter Philips, who always knew they wouldn’t have official roles in the BRF, but who grew up as loved and valued members of the private family. The best of both worlds, really. They’re currently a long way off from that scenario, though.

With all due respect, I don't see how on earth they could be like Zara and Peter Phillips. The Montecito couple have made a cottage industry of trashing the royal family.

The Phillips family were brought up to respect the institution and the family members. The Montecito couple have already violated that on so many levels there isn't enough space on this site to list them all!

Sorry ... not buying that at all. JMHO

TRH Prince Archie and Princess Lilibet of Sussex will be fine. Their parents have several friends with children of their own that will grow to feel like family to them. Sure, it might be sad that they won't be as close to their cousins across the pond, but sometimes your closest family members are the ones you're not blood-related to. Plus, we don't what will happen in the next 5, 10 years. Hell, the entire BRF may be actually closer personally than anybody even realizes.

TRH Prince Archie and Princess Lilibet of Sussex will be fine. Their parents have several friends with children of their own that will grow to feel like family to them. Sure, it might be sad that they won't be as close to their cousins across the pond, but sometimes your closest family members are the ones you're not blood-related to.…

But we all know that Montecito relationships are not necessarily long term. A case in point being the Mulroney family, who figured so prominently in the Sussex’s Windsor wedding and then …

But we all know that Montecito relationships are not necessarily long term. A case in point being the Mulroney family, who figured so prominently in the Sussex’s Windsor wedding and then …

IMO William has been raised to establish true friends that he could trust. It is sad to think that he will not really know the American children and allow them to establish close relationships that he could trust.

It's not only the Windsor dynamics that the young Sussex children will be curious about. Meghan's distance from the extended Markle and Ragland families will also have them wondering.

Different doesn't mean bad.

Yes, TRH Prince Archie and Princess Lilibet of Sussex will probably not grow up surrounded by first and second cousins. Yes, their royal cousins will develop closer ties with those that are in closer proximity to them, but the same goes with the Sussex siblings themselves. They will find their own friends, their own communities, and overall, they'll have each other and their parents. Even if TRH The Prince of Wales and The Duke of Sussex were thick as thieves, as soon as the latter decided that his family would thrive better outside of Great Britain, it was already known that the children wouldn't be close.

Many people see this distant relationship as a tragedy, but I see it as just different. Many people are close to their distant family, some are not. Many people are close to their blood family, some people see their unrelated friends more as family. For some people, family is stressful up close but warm from afar, some people are the reverse.

HM The King's five grandchildren are all under ten and will more than likely live for another 85-100 years. Anything can happen in that time. If it ends up just being a hi during family events or a birthday text or a congratulations and they go on to their own happy and independent lives, then it is what it is.

That's just the relationship you have with distant relatives. There's nothing sad about it.

Their lives are so far apart that they only way i see them coming together is for Harry to return to the family which i don't see happening any time soon. Meghan will never let them go bc that would mean all the media attention will be on her children and not her.

Nevertheless I find it strange that Archie and Lilibet live as Prince and Princess in the US, grandchildren of Princess Diana and the British King (who is the most well known one in the World in contrast to f.i. Sweden) and have to admit they don' t know their grandfather nor their uncle (future king). In this case it would be better for them to be Mister or Miss IMO. Wonder whether Charles will ever (again) meet them by visiting them in the US.
Has there ever been an example like this in any other royal family?
And IMO family ties should be handeled carefully. I had no relationship to my brothers and have seen them last time 25 years ago. In 2018 my younger brother commited suicide...
It might be a result of our Times but I find it sad though.

Some of you have ignored our opening disclaimer and now have started to explore a way around our guidelines about unreliable sources. This happens by not naming a source at all and just refer to ‘reports’.

The rules in the opening post intend to get rid of the more far fetched and crazy rumors that are published in the notoriously unreliable British gossip press. By going around that post you are undermining mod. efforts to keep some sanity in this thread.

While this thread was closed the following points were adressed:

1. Posts trying to sideline the mod. team have been removed. Sadly, that means that responses to these posts have also been removed. Some posters have been contacted.

2. A post making a comparison between the Sussex couple and the Gestapo has been removed. If you feel the need to insert WWII, the holocaust or genocide into this discussion perhaps you would be best adviced to log out and go for a walk.

3. A reminder that one of the rules on the first page of the thread is:
Opinion articles, columns and videos can not be posted at all.
This holds true even if the essay or opinion piece is from a source that is usually considered reliable, and a large number of similar pieces have been removed in the past. We're all capable of making up our own minds at this point.

4. Finally: when signing up to this forum you agreed to follow TRF terms of service. For nearly 20 years these Rules and FAQ do not allow speculative posts. We understand it may be tempting to speculate. But to create a parallel universe about future relationships in the BRF is not something we can encourage. Please move on.

This thread is now re-opened.

Last edited:
https://www.forbes.com/sites/maryro...n=forbes&utm_term=se-breaking&sh=67ade5d74c8f

Prince Harry’s ‘Spare’ and self-help books dominate 2023 non fiction best seller list according to Forbes.

‘Prince Harry owns the No. 1 bestselling nonfiction title so far this year, with more than 1 million print copies of his 400-page memoir Spare sold in the U.S.‘

The list of 2023 bestsellers as of June 17 was provided to Forbes by Circana BookScan, which monitors U.S. sales.
Harry’s book is at No. 1.

Last edited:
The legal claim against the Mirror Group is coming to a close.

https://archive.is/42qAw

In addition to the link member Ghost posted to the Telegraph here is an article from The Times concerning the closing arguments in the Mirror court case:

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/...-just-500-over-phone-hacking-claims-bb2pncjpk

More from this trials:

Hacking trial: Prince Harry claims £440,000 in damages from Mirror Group Newspapers

(...)

Amounts being claimed were released on the final day of the trial examining allegations of phone hacking.

(...)

The duke's lawyers initially suggested he could be awarded up to £320,000 if his case is successful in relation to the 33 stories.

In a document released later, they said he is also seeking further damages of about £120,000. This relates to allegations of unlawful information gathering by MGN publications, including over the targeting of his late mother, Diana Princess of Wales.

(...)

In the final hours of the trial the defendant's barrister Andrew Green KC argued there was no objective evidence Prince Harry's phone had been hacked.

He questioned whether his opponents had proved any of the claims they had made.

Prince Harry's barrister David Sherborne criticised Mr Green for repeatedly describing private investigators who had been convicted of criminal offences as "rotters".

Mr Sherborne said he had become "something out of a Beano comic, by describing a few rotters who did a few naughty things. That exemplifies the truly dismissive nature of the defendant's attitude to the thousands of victims".

(...)

I admit I know nothing about UK legal system, but in civil lawsuit like this, can one sue on behalf of someone's else? Considering the lawsuit is filled by Harry but it seems like some of the hacking/tapping (if it's true) being mentioned in this lawsuit was done to Chelsey and Diana.

I wonder will Harry accept the money if he ends up winning this case since he sort of insinuating that it's wrong for William to accept "Murdoch's money" when he settled :ermm:

The argument between two lawyers on last quoted part above refers to this:

Convicted phone hacker is 'embedded' in Duke of Sussex’s team, says Mirror’s barrister

Archive

Last edited:
I would think he'd accept the money but donate it to charity.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom