The Duchess of Cambridge's Maternity Fashion: December 2012 -

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Haha, or in my mind "age it up". Brooches should be saved for the Queen :p (Correction, it can be done right. But on coats 99% of the time looks elderly)

I don't know anyone my age who wears brooches, and I'm younger than Camilla and older than Catherine. I inherited a couple of beauties from my MIL, but I'll either have them broken down and reset, or wait until I'm a lot older.

The Wedgewood shades of blues I've noticed over the years just suit Kate so perfectly. They really do bring out the best in her and I loved the combination of the coat w/the dress. She looked amazing today and so very happy.

About the brooch debate...Considering this was an engagement where she was going to be around both Children w/Special Needs and also very active little ones, they'd see it, the next thought would be "Oooh!! Sparkly!!" and before anyone could react there'd be a snatch, grab and possible rip of clothing. I'm not saying that is the reason why no brooch, but it could be one reason why we don't see them on Kate that often. She has worn them in the past, but usually at events w/a pretty good majority of the people attending being Adults.

JMO, but also something to keep in mind.

Also...Is it me or does she seem to carrying a bit lower this time around than w/George at the same period? Could be the dress is fooling me, but I'm not sure.

Regardless, Kate looks beautiful and so happy. As should be. :)

Sent from my iPad using The Royals Community mobile app

The Duchess today in Stoke-on-Trent:

Full view ** Upper part ** Side view 1 ** Side view 2

Catherine is wearing the Seraphine Florrie Floral Print Dress
I can understand those that thought a brooch might help this look. The coat is lovely, the shoes are to die for, but something is missing. For me, both the neckline and the dress colours showing at the neck jarred against the very distinctive collar and reveres of her coat. It just didn't look right. Perhaps an on trend scarf may have helped.

I understand that as with her first pregnancy, Catherine has opted to follow current medical advice and forgo using hair colours. Instead of giving her kudos the DM gave her snark!

However, having the DM snarking about Catherine's regrowth didn't have to happen. A half way decent hairdresser could have turned her half ponytail into a sloppy bun and thus obscured any grey. :bang:

Plus, there are products out there that hide grey hair without permanent color. Anyway, I believe in being natural. Let it go grey. Very nit-picky of the paper to point it out, tho.

Last edited:
It's totally sexist. Where is the article showing William's bald spot progression? Harry's thinning top doesn't get a separate article after his next Royal engagement. The only thing some what comparable is the press' weird obsession when a Royal wears a band-aid.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

Love the blue coat....it's very Queen Elizabeth.

Plus, there are products out there that hide grey hair without permanent color. Anyway, I believe in being natural. Let it go grey. Very nit-picky of the paper to point it out, tho.

In this case, 'nit-picky' (imo) equals rude. :sad:

It's totally sexist. Where is the article showing William's bald spot progression? Harry's thinning top doesn't get a separate article after his next Royal engagement. The only thing some what comparable is the press' weird obsession when a Royal wears a band-aid.

Dead-on! Unfortunately. :sad:

I dont think its normal for a 33 year old to have grey hair, unless they are prematurely grey.
I'm in my early twenties and I have grey hair. It's like being bald when you're only 25, it's genetic. And I never see DM making such a fuss about William's baldness.

I'm 34 and I have been getting grey hairs for a few years, it started when my first daughter was born. Nothing strange that the duchess has them too.

I'm 34 and I have been getting grey hairs for a few years, it started when my first daughter was born. Nothing strange that the duchess has them too.
Exactly. Plus, I'm not entirely sure that was gray hair. Most natural hair colours are more gray/dusty looking than coloured so it could just be the coloured hair enhancing the "grayness" of her natural hair.

I starting getting some grey into my late 20's....it's not that uncommon. Women's bodies go thru lots of changes when they start having children, permanent changes. It doesn't mean there's something wrong with them.

LaRae

Frankly, I found the greys interesting in that she continued to avoid the color treatments in her second pregnancy. But the fact that she has greys is pretty ordinary JMO.

It's pure mysoginy really. How often do we find articles about the body or image of men? Never

It is normal and average to being getting some grey hairs in your twenties,especially if you have dark hair, but usually around the front. If you have that kind of grey in the middle of the back, it is usually the last place to go grey.
Of course premature grey hair that is inherited can start to go in the teens.

She could have some un pigmented patches of skin a condition called vitiligo, as I have, and then the hair has no color either, but it is usually more white. Sort of the opposite of freckles.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

I don't think it's sexism at all. There were plenty of articles pointing out William bald spot and hair thinning the first couple years. I think it's just bad journalism and petty. I hated it when I happened to William. I think the need to point out the grays will fade with time. Besides they do it to actors and actresses all the time, MEN and women.

That said. I think a scarf and a brooch would haven't added something a bit more special to the appearance though I love the coat and the dress. That's my only wish for Kate, and I really like her. I wish she would do more with accessories. It would up her fashion game a little.

Last edited:
Another new coat on Kate at the Emma Bridgewater engagement - i was glad she recycled her print dress but why not reuse the coat that went with it (from when it was first used in Jan for Kensington engagements) why another new blue coat??

Another new coat on Kate at the Emma Bridgewater engagement - i was glad she recycled her print dress but why not reuse the coat that went with it (from when it was first used in Jan for Kensington engagements) why another new blue coat??
I knew someone would say that. She reuses shoes, jewelry etc ALL THE TIME (Which is the expensive pieces compared to a coat) and this time even the dress. But shaaaaaame, she bought a coat!

Its not just been this one coat - we.ve been talking new maternity coats/standard coats in bigger sizes for practically very engagement she has been on in the last number of months, and its not as if she does countless engagements

It's a fair question but perhaps she couldn't wear the January coat because of the baby. She's not very big but the fit is affected by the way the mother carries the baby.

Its not just been this one coat - we.ve been talking new maternity coats/standard coats in bigger sizes for practically very engagement she has been on in the last number of months, and its not as if she does countless engagements
I'm glad she hasn't reused. This pregnancy style has been much better than her last. And again, the expensive pieces is reused a lot. Some princesses reuse a coat (which is obviously reused) but have new bags for £5000 instead.

If the recent news is genuine, and Catherine (and William) plan on 'at least' three children, then assembling a maternity wardrobe is reasonable. :flowers: She didn't have much for her first pregnancy, and if I recall from back then, in all my reading, that was a cause for criticism.

If the recent news is genuine, and Catherine (and William) plan on 'at least' three children, then assembling a maternity wardrobe is reasonable. :flowers: She didn't have much for her first pregnancy, and if I recall from back then, in all my reading, that was a cause for criticism.
It was. That + too short coats. This time she almost hasn't done any of that, aaaaand she's being criticized. The story of her life....

When I've been pregnant, buying new clothes has been a wonderful pick-me-up. :flowers: Not everyone can do it, and once one has a wardrobe full, seems reasonable to just re-use, but I do know how nice it feels to have something new. Styles do change, new cloth and cuts. It's fun, so I won't fault her. (P.S. It seems like she's buying for public appearances, and what she's buying may be useable when she's not pregnant. Just a thought.)

I like the colorful floral print that she's wearing today.

On her last few engagements I've thought her face is quite haggard looking for her age and it looks that way here as well. I don't like that dress either but I find most of those Erdem dresses quite ugly and the shoes and bag are just the same ones she's worn a lot recently.

Last edited:
Love the dress- although she does look quite tired.

Love the dress- although she does look quite tired.

The dress looks great and comfortable - always a plus in my book.

Sometimes, I think she looks tired to us when she does not have the big smiley Kate face showing to us. She's walking to the car and appears relaxed, if thinking about what's next in her day. Her Hubby is half a world away in a country that his dad and grandfather have both insulted; much is expected of the hubs. She's pregnant enough that sleeping is no longer a slam dunk. She has an active toddler.

She may be tired. She may just be thinking. She may just not have the little mary sunshine face on. We don't know, do we? JMO.

The dress is nice, but new again. I wonder what is wrong with wearing dresses from the first pregnancy... I usually dislike the flowery print because it ages but this is way better than the awful Seraphine one

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom