The Duchess of Cambridge Current Events 1: April 29, 2011-January 2012

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
As for pictures from Balmoral, I have a feeling we are not going to get any. They're on a holiday, so there's no reason for any photo calls (though there were a few throughout the years). I guess we'll see what happens.

Bearing in mind the HUGE interest in Catherine, and also taking into account that there are some whispers arising about the fact that the Waleses have shown themselves to the people in Canada and the 'Hollywood Royalty' in the USA but have been less visible in this country since their wedding [they did attend a couple of 'closed' events here such as Arpad Busson's party] I would not be surprised if BP come to some sort of arrangement whereby the couple pose for photographs at the start of their break ON THE UNDERSTANDING that they are then left alone. This practice is known as 'a Facility', but the way that the tabloid hacks pronounce it is quite funny ' FERCILITY'. I can remember being behind the pony lines when Prince Charles was playing polo and Diana [then at the height of her popularity] was with him and I heard a couple of journalists, one was Arthur Edwards, approach the Royal Aides and say 'Can we have a fercility?' and I just could not work out what they meant until someone explained it to me - I had always thought until then that such an event was called 'a photo-opportunity'. But I was mistaken.........

Alex

Bearing in mind the HUGE interest in Catherine, and also taking into account that there are some whispers arising about the fact that the Waleses have shown themselves to the people in Canada and the 'Hollywood Royalty' in the USA but have been less visible in this country since their wedding [they did attend a couple of 'closed' events here such as Arpad Busson's party] I would not be surprised if BP come to some sort of arrangement whereby the couple pose for photographs at the start of their break ON THE UNDERSTANDING that they are then left alone. This practice is known as 'a Facility', but the way that the tabloid hacks pronounce it is quite funny ' FERCILITY'. I can remember being behind the pony lines when Prince Charles was playing polo and Diana [then at the height of her popularity] was with him and I heard a couple of journalists, one was Arthur Edwards, approach the Royal Aides and say 'Can we have a fercility?' and I just could not work out what they meant until someone explained it to me - I had always thought until then that such an event was called 'a photo-opportunity'. But I was mistaken.........

Alex

Thank you for the explanation, Alex.

It makes a good deal of sense.

I'm thinking that if the place was unoccupied for a while, it may have a musky smell to it. Or she just wants to stock up. I do that sometimes with items I use more frequently than others.

I think its a little of both. At least according to the article the cottage has an old musty smell. In addition, when I find a particular fragrance that I like (and its on sale) I also purchase a lot of it. My house smelled like Fresh Linen for months!

Or perhaps the English custom of living off beans and toast makes it nescesarry :ROFLMAO:

pffftttt...my husband had to have baked beans with EVERY homecooked meal. Fondue and baked beans, pork pie and baked...eggs and baked beans...you name it, there was a Heinz tin in the wastecan!!! However, I don't think I spent $1500 or anywhere near that in 6 years!!!

Someone needs to find out where she purchased the air fresheners...BPS100 a pop???

I prefer to go with "musty."

Anyway, there are professionals who can take care of musty smells. It just makes our dear Kate seem like a spendthrift. Hate those articles.

Last edited:
Anyway, there are professionals who can take care of musty smells. It just makes our dear Kate seem like a spendthrift. Hate those articles.

Is it really true that she spent that much?

This whole Royal Wedding and my subsequent obsession have caused me to question EVERYTHING I read ANYWHERE good or bad. Most of this stuff is just pulled out of thin air. What are we supposed to believe?

Kitty: I am going with "musty" as well!! Cuz I cannot imagine anyone needing that much air freshener!!!

I really question that a palace source would give out that kind of information. The purchase maybe, but not the cost amount. IF she did indeed spend that much I'm thinking someone in the business where she bought them must have snitched. Not a nice thing to do, IMO.

Typical example of Daily Mail journalism at its finest. Lots of publications like to make sly little digs at Camilla or just tend to ignore her Royal existence altogether. I lol'd every time I saw news outlets claiming Kate was "the first commoner in xx years to marry a heir to the throne."

Well.....she is. She's the first woman of a non-royal, non-aristocratic background to marry a future King in over 300 years. Camilla's mother was The Honourable Rosalind Cubitt, the daughter of the 3rd Baron Ashecombe, and his wife Sonia Keppel. Sonia Keppel was the daughter of The Honourable George Keppel and his wife Alice, the former mistress of Edward VII. There is no such aristocratic background in Catherine's family. While Camilla may not have had a royal or aristocratic title from birth as Charles's first wife did, she came from an aristocratic family.

So that was not an error on the Daily Mail's part, nor on any other journalist who prints as such.

Well.....she is. She's the first woman of a non-royal, non-aristocratic background to marry a future King in over 300 years. Camilla's mother was The Honourable Rosalind Cubitt, the daughter of the 3rd Baron Ashecombe, and his wife Sonia Keppel. Sonia Keppel was the daughter of The Honourable George Keppel and his wife Alice, the former mistress of Edward VII. There is no such aristocratic background in Catherine's family. While Camilla may not have had a royal or aristocratic title from birth as Charles's first wife did, she came from an aristocratic family.

So that was not an error on the Daily Mail's part, nor on any other journalist who prints as such.
I was actually commenting on the DM's confusing statement that Catherine would take precedence over Camilla at Balmoral (I think more of the discussion was moved into the Order of Precedence thread) and then kind of weirdly segued into how some journalists tended to skip over the fact that Camilla was a commoner marrying an heir too. Sorry for the confusion, it's nice to know about The Duchess of Cornwall's ancestry though!

I do believe it's an enormous difference if you are just a guest at Balmoral (like top politicians) or if you are family.The queen's cousin Margaret Rhodes wrote only lovely things about her stays at Balmoral, how she has been pampered by staff and enjoyed herself enormously when being together with the Queen and her family. If Catherine has any questions there is William to answer them. She can always turn to him when she is tired or bored or want to do something else and nobody will mind if William says: Dear family, Kate and I need a bit of time together, maybe even get some rest before dinner.... On the contrary, I rather think the queen will be delighted then... :flowers:

I agree that Catherine and William will only spend a long weekend or two in Balmoral. William is a search-and-rescue pilot and so technically would not have enough leave to enjoy an extended break at Balmoral [the Queen stays there each year until early October]. It was different in the case of Charles and Diana; Charles did not have a working life outside his duties as Prince of Wales by the time he married Diana; his naval career had ceased several years previously.

Hope this helps

Alex

Last edited:
I really question that a palace source would give out that kind of information. The purchase maybe, but not the cost amount. IF she did indeed spend that much I'm thinking someone in the business where she bought them must have snitched. Not a nice thing to do, IMO.

According to the British papers, the scented candles etc came from the firm of interior designer Kelly Hoppen, who has also been commissioned to take care of the interior decoration at the couple's new house. Catherine apparently is opting for a more minamalist style. Traditional 'Royal' interior decoration is what people sometimes call 'English Country House style' -chintzes, [think 'Colefax and Fowler'] lots of small tables [naturally with table cloths] covered in photographs in silver frames, knick-knacks etc, ancestral portraits on the walls etc etc,

Kelly Hoppen [who is sometimes described as the step-mother of Sienna Miller] works to a more contemporary sleek style. As many people loathe her 'look' as love it - occasionally 'crusty old colonel' types announce that the Hoppen signature style appeals to brash City bankers whose backgrounds have not furnished them with the necessary social background to provide ancestral portraits etc.

I have seen gigantic Kelly Hoppen scented candles for £90, and as the papers are claiming that Catherine has ordered 6 months' supply, I daresay it all mounts up.

I must say that when I have visited Kensington Palace [to look round at the exhibitions etc] the public parts I have seen always make it seem the gloomiest of London's Royal Palaces. Maybe Catherine and William's first home seems similarly gloomy.

I think it's the candles that put it over the top in price and who knows what candle holders etc are involved. The headline about air fresheners is just an attention grabber.

Anyway, there are professionals who can take care of musty smells. .
Musty smells come from aspargilus niger - on inhaling it can trigger all sorts of allergies.
Aromacandles, airfresheners etc. don't help- on the contrary, they can lead to even more danger of acquiring allergies, especially when kids are concerned. So I hope they found an appartment they want to move in permanently and have that renovated according to modern health standards. For that doesn't sound good to me at all.

According to the British papers, the scented candles etc came from the firm of interior designer Kelly Hoppen, who has also been commissioned to take care of the interior decoration at the couple's new house. Catherine apparently is opting for a more minamalist style. Traditional 'Royal' interior decoration is what people sometimes call 'English Country House style' -chintzes, [think 'Colefax and Fowler'] lots of small tables [naturally with table cloths] covered in photographs in silver frames, knick-knacks etc, ancestral portraits on the walls etc etc,

Kelly Hoppen [who is sometimes described as the step-mother of Sienna Miller] works to a more contemporary sleek style. As many people loathe her 'look' as love it - occasionally 'crusty old colonel' types announce that the Hoppen signature style appeals to brash City bankers whose backgrounds have not furnished them with the necessary social background to provide ancestral portraits etc.

I have seen gigantic Kelly Hoppen scented candles for £90, and as the papers are claiming that Catherine has ordered 6 months' supply, I daresay it all mounts up.

I must say that when I have visited Kensington Palace [to look round at the exhibitions etc] the public parts I have seen always make it seem the gloomiest of London's Royal Palaces. Maybe Catherine and William's first home seems similarly gloomy.
Thats funny because it was said that they moved into KP because St. James Palace was really gloomy!:ohmy:
I think eventually they will make their way to Pr. Margaret's former digs.
You can see the photo's I posted of apt 1A in the Royal Residences section under KP.

Last edited:
Catherine apparently is opting for a more minamalist style. Traditional 'Royal' interior decoration is what people sometimes call 'English Country House style' -chintzes, [think 'Colefax and Fowler'] lots of small tables [naturally with table cloths] covered in photographs in silver frames, knick-knacks etc, ancestral portraits on the walls etc etc,

I hate minimalist, modern decor! And love English Country. But to each her own; Kate has her own taste, it will be interesting to see what she opts for.

Please note that specualtive posts about Catherine conceiving (or having problems conceiving) have been deleted.

I hate minimalist, modern decor! And love English Country.

Me too! Minimalist decor is so cold and impersonal. I would have to fill a space like that with hundreds of knicknacks to feel comfortable in it.

(I do love scented candles, though, so I agree with Kate on that.)

I hate minimalist, modern decor! And love English Country. But to each her own; Kate has her own taste, it will be interesting to see what she opts for.

I have to agree. Minimalist decor has it's place in sleek modern homes and rooms, however in old homes with history and charactor, it doesn't work well IMO. With all the wonderful antiques at their disposal, I am sure they could incorprate modern with traditional to pay homage to history with an updated feel. Not like Diana's former home decor, but something more updated and less fussy and cluttered.

I have to agree. Minimalist decor has it's place in sleek modern homes and rooms, however in old homes with history and charactor, it doesn't work well IMO. With all the wonderful antiques at their disposal, I am sure they could incorprate modern with traditional to pay homage to history with an updated feel. Not like Diana's former home decor, but something more updated and less fussy and cluttered.

To be honest, I have no idea where my thoughts on this came from and its just a "feeling" I have about the decor of their London base. By "minimalistic" I think perhaps they are going for "serviceable". As in not decorating their place with a lot of priceless antiques, paintings and doo-dads that are often seen in residences of royals. I can see a nice comfy Lazy Boy for Wills in front of the TV that's big enough for two. :D They seem more the kind of folks right now that would want a couch or bed or a toaster because they need one more so than having museum quality items.

The grand estate/home will come for the both of them in time when they have decided where they want their roots to be raising their family.

There is no way of knowing how long they will be in the cottage either, it may be that it is merely stopgap and they don't want to do a lot of decorating. If some rumors turn out to be true it may be that they will be moving yet again into the apartment used by the late Princess Margaret. At this point the only thing they really need is a place to stay when in London and for their own privacy.

What they need at the moment is a "no fuss"-home that can be easily cleaned and kept tidy. I don't see them spending too much time there - they go to London for a purpose, their real home is on Anglesey. I can eg imagine that Catherine keeps her more formal dresses in a room at Clarence House and shares Camilla's dresser while William does the same on using his father's valet's services occassionally.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom