Support for the Monarchy in the UK 1: Ending Sep 2022

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
2012 was Las Vegas, right? Or am I mixing things up?

This is very interesting, TBH, 4 years of trending upwards, without any hitch. These last few years have trully made me forget how universally liked Harry was in the UK.
(Also, obvious congratulations to ELF for a job very well done ;))

He wasn't universally liked.....

2012 was Las Vegas, right? Or am I mixing things up?

This is very interesting, TBH, 4 years of trending upwards, without any hitch. These last few years have trully made me forget how universally liked Harry was in the UK.
(Also, obvious congratulations to ELF for a job very well done ;))

Yes, and if I remember correctly, ELF started working for Harry shortly after that.

Nicola Sturgeon (First Minister of Scotland and Leader of the Scottish National Party) did a press interview with Julie Etchingham from ITV on her view/support of the British Monarchy and clarifying the SNP's position. This was published on the 15th December.
Chris Ship @chrisshipitv
Replying to @chrisshipitv
Does Nicola Sturgeon support the Monarchy? Will Prince William be King of Scotland one day?
Questions from @julieetchitv to @NicolaSturgeon in her @itvnews interview.
She answers “these are questions that are ultimately for the people of Scotland to decide.” [Flag of Scotland]​
11:09 PM · Dec 15, 2020·Twitter for iPhone

Very interesting comments from the First Minister.

When asked if the Cambridges were not welcome - “of course they're welcome"

On the perception that the her comments were (just) factual & bald
(ie unwelcoming/unenthusiastic) – "well look yes I'm sorry about that".

"I’m sure people were happy to see them here. The work that they do...…it"s hugely welcome”.

So those naysayers about the visit to Scotland have their response – from the horse’s mouth so to speak.

Although clearly she is a republican. Fair enough. It’s an honourable position to take. She won't state it directly though. At least not until after a yes vote if that's the result of some future referendum.

I know that this video was published on 21st October and the interview/conference itself was conducted on 30th September. I apologise in advance for this late post and going back to politicians' view on the royal family.

Jacob Rees-Mogg (Leader of the House of Commons and Conservative MP for North East Somerset) did an interview with Rabbi Jeremy Lawrence on Zoom. The interview itself was on variety of topics and lasted an hour. Mr. Rees-Mogg was asked on the topic of Privy Council, value of the Monarchy and "qualities of The Queen that he admires"

Role of Leader of the House of Commons (14:38-15:06)
Role of Lord President of the Council (15:07-15:42)
Qualities of The Queen that Mr. Rees-Mogg admire & some interesting history (15:43-17:37)
Value of Monarchy to the country (17:39-18:40)​

This is quite a contrast to Nicola Sturgeon and Vaughan Gething's recent response when asked on the Monarchy. But then again, Mr. Rees-Mogg himself is a staunch monarchist, as evident in a parliamentary debate in 2011
https://www.conservativehome.com/le...reatest-institution-in-our-land.html#comments
https://publications.parliament.uk/pa/cm201011/cmhansrd/cm110630/debtext/110630-0003.htm

See the full results of a YouGov poll of Great Britain adults, taken on March 1-2, regarding the popularity and media coverage of members of the British Royal Family:

https://docs.cdn.yougov.com/yfzsnc3j1v/Royal favourability March.pdf
https://docs.cdn.yougov.com/pdlgendohy/Media treatment of Harry and Meghan.pdf

The YouGov summary concentrates on the uptick in favorable opinions of the Sussexes following the announcements of their American interview and decision not to return as working royals.

https://yougov.co.uk/topics/politic...-and-meghans-popularity-ticks-ahead-oprah-int

About half of the public (53%) now have a positive opinion of Prince Harry, while two fifths (41%) regard him negatively, meaning his net rating is at +12. It is up from +3 (47% positive vs 44% negative) on 18 February – the day before the announcement to the Queen.

A greater proportion of people still view Meghan negatively (53%) rather than positively (39%), with her net rating at -14. Her ratings have seen a small boost of 5 points from 12 February, when 55% of the public had an unfavourable opinion of her while 36% reported the opposite.

[...]

Half of the public (50%) say the press is overly critical of Meghan, while a quarter (25%) say the coverage is balanced, and a small minority (9%) deem it too favourable.

Many similarly think Prince Harry is treated unfairly, with 44% saying the press is overly tough on him. Three in ten people (30%) believe his coverage has been fair, and like with Meghan, only a one-digit figure (9%) say it’s too positive.

[...]

Opinion is split when it comes to Prince Andrew, who resigned from all public duties over his association with convicted paedophile Jeffrey Epstein. Despite this, a fifth of Britons (18%) say the press is overly favourable in their treatment of him, while a similar proportion (17%) believe it is overly critical. Two fifths (39%) say it’s fair and balanced.

Very interesting comments from the First Minister.

When asked if the Cambridges were not welcome - “of course they're welcome"

On the perception that the her comments were (just) factual & bald
(ie unwelcoming/unenthusiastic) – "well look yes I'm sorry about that".

"I’m sure people were happy to see them here. The work that they do...…it"s hugely welcome”.

So those naysayers about the visit to Scotland have their response – from the horse’s mouth so to speak.

Although clearly she is a republican. Fair enough. It’s an honourable position to take. She won't state it directly though. At least not until after a yes vote if that's the result of some future referendum.

In the last referendum, Alex Salmond explicitly promised that an independent Scotland would not only retain the monarchy, but also would remain in personal union with the monarch of England, Wales and Northern Ireland. That was quite surprising considering that the SNP is a left-wing party that has been traditionally republican. Salmond obviously did that, as he also vowed to keep the pound (i.e. remain in a monetary union with the UK), to maximize the chances of a Yes win in the referendum.

I wonder if Sturgeon, assuming she remains the SNP leader during a possible future referendum, will stick to Salmond's promise or will change it to some vague statement that the issue of Scotland's future Head of State is to be decided by a constitutional convention following a Yes vote.

See the full results of a YouGov poll of Great Britain adults, taken on March 1-2, regarding the popularity and media coverage of members of the British Royal Family:

https://docs.cdn.yougov.com/yfzsnc3j1v/Royal favourability March.pdf
https://docs.cdn.yougov.com/pdlgendohy/Media treatment of Harry and Meghan.pdf

The YouGov summary concentrates on the uptick in favorable opinions of the Sussexes following the announcements of their American interview and decision not to return as working royals.

https://yougov.co.uk/topics/politic...-and-meghans-popularity-ticks-ahead-oprah-int

Keeping in mind, however, that this poll was taken before the accusations of bullying against the Duchess of Sussex were made public and before the Oprah interview actually aired.

We also have to see the net favorability ratings n perspective.

QEII: +64
Prince William: +65
Catherine: +57
Princess Anne: +48

Prince Charles: +21
Prince Harry: +12
Prince Edward: +11

Camilla: -5
Meghan: -14

Prince Andrew: -68

In other words, Meghan and Camilla remain in negative territory with the least net favorability ratings excluding Prince Andrew. On the other hand, the Queen and the Cambridges still have much higher net favorability ratings than either the PoW or Harry.

Last edited:
In the last referendum, Alex Salmond explicitly promised that an independent Scotland would not only retain the monarchy, but also would remain in personal union with the monarch of England, Wales and Northern Ireland. That was quite surprising considering that the SNP is a left-wing party that has been traditionally republican. Salmond obviously did that, as he also vowed to keep the pound (i.e. remain in a monetary union with the UK), to maximize the chances of a Yes win in the referendum.

I wonder if Sturgeon, assuming she remains the SNP leader during a possible future referendum, will stick to Salmond's promise or will change it to some vague statement that the issue of Scotland's future Head of State is to be decided by a constitutional convention following a Yes vote.

The SNP's policy at the moment is to retain the monarchy in a Scotland no longer in union with England because they would loose support if they didn't. To be fair some of them will be monarchists wanting a return to the situation that existed between 1603-1707 but many won't.

As the interview makes plain Sturgeon can't answer a straight question about whether she supports the monarchy now because she doesn't. In an independent Scotland republicans like Nicola Sturgeon would be free to speak their minds.

I can't see Scots being happy with their head of state living mostly in England. I can't see them being content with a governor general either. They would want a resident citizen.

Keeping in mind, however, that this poll was taken before the accusations of bullying against the Duchess of Sussex were made public and before the Oprah interview actually aired.

We also have to see the net favorability ratings n perspective.

QEII: +64
Prince William: +65
Catherine: +57
Princess Anne: +48

Prince Charles: +21
Prince Harry: +12
Prince Edward: +11

Camilla: -5
Meghan: -14

Prince Andrew: -68

In other words, Meghan and Camilla remain in negative territory with the least net favorability ratings excluding Prince Andrew. On the other hand, the Queen and the Cambridges still have much higher net favorability ratings than either the PoW or Harry.

Slightly shocked at the Duchess of Cornwall's poll figures ,better news for the Queen, Cambridges & Princess Royal.

I do wish people would get past this negative attitude towards Camilla. She and Prince Charles have been married for nearly 16 years, she hasn't put a foot wrong in all that time, and she does so much work with rape crisis centres, domestic abuse charities, osteoporosis charities, promoting reading, etc etc.

She and Charles are hardly the only people in the world to have cheated on their partners, and it was 30-odd years ago. And apparently it's not held against him, only against her. What a shame.

Last edited:
I do wish people would get past this negative attitude towards Camilla. She and Prince Charles have been married for nearly 16 years, she hasn't put a foot wrong in all that time, and she does so much work with rape crisis centres, domestic abuse charities, osteoporosis charities, promoting reading, etc etc.

She and Charles are hardly the only people in the world to have cheated on their partners, and it was 30-odd years ago. And apparently it's not held against him, only against her. What a shame.

I think it is held against him, his numbers are pretty low compared to William and the Queen's. His approval is a higher than Camilla's but I think that is because his work is more high profile - which apparently, Camilla supports.

There was an Ipsos MORI poll on the popularity of the Royal Family with 1,065 adults aged 18-75 in Great Britain being surveyed. The data were collected online between 3-4 March 2021, but this article did not published until 8th March. There were several questions ask. One of them included whether Britain becoming a republic would be better or worse

Royal Family makes the UK appear traditional and powerful
A new online poll by Ipsos MORI shows how the Royal Family are perceived by Britons.
https://www.ipsos.com/ipsos-mori/en-uk/royal-family-makes-uk-appear-traditional-and-powerful

There was an Ipsos MORI poll on the popularity of the Royal Family with 1,065 adults aged 18-75 in Great Britain being surveyed. The data were collected online between 3-4 March 2021, but this article did not published until 8th March. There were several questions ask. One of them included whether Britain becoming a republic would be better or worse

Royal Family makes the UK appear traditional and powerful
A new online poll by Ipsos MORI shows how the Royal Family are perceived by Britons.
https://www.ipsos.com/ipsos-mori/en-uk/royal-family-makes-uk-appear-traditional-and-powerful

Thank you for sharing this information. I do appreciate that Ipsos-MORI releases their technical information as to how the poll was conducted.

Thank you for sharing this information. I do appreciate that Ipsos-MORI releases their technical information as to how the poll was conducted.

Thank you for sharing this survey. This research is favorable to the monarchy. :flowers:

Let's be honest here, the British Royal Family has survived things that were much worse than the Meghan revelations.

Republic, #AbolishTheMonarchy, and all those other anti-monarchist groups can go on and on about establishing a British Republic, but in the end of the day, they will not succeed, if ever. I honestly think that would take a lot, and I mean A LOT, in order for the British public and the Commonwealth Realm to dump the House of Windsor altogether. I'm talking about the British Royal Family needing to so something so horrifically evil that it would destroy the concept of monarchism indefinitely, which is going to be extremely unlikely to happen in the end of the day.

The Duke and Duchess of Sussex were celebrities in the end of the day, and as such, this will be swept under the rug like every other minor bump in the road.

The only parties that are actively interested in republicanism in the UK are the Green Party of England and Wales (which only has ONE seat in the House of Commons), the pro-separatist Scottish Greens, Scottish Sociality Party, and Plaid Cymru along with the pro-Republic of Ireland Sinn Fein and Social Democratic and Labour Party. Currently, the Conservative and Unionist Party, the Labour Party, the Liberal Democrats, and Reform UK are NOT interested in a British Republic.

Mark my words, this will fade from public memory and support for the royal family will be back in the seventies and low eighties percentage wise in no time.

God Save the Queen and long live the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland, the Dominion of Canada, the Commonwealth of Australia, and the Dominion of New Zealand.

-Frozen Royalist

Support for the BRF hasn't been in the 70s for decades and hasn't been in the 80s since the days of Queen Victoria.

It has been consistently in the high 60s throughout the Queen's reign with the odd branching into the low 70s at events like major royal events.

It will drop to the low 60s over the next few months and may even go into the 50s but I doubt that the BRF will be in any real danger in the UK.

In Australia that isn't necessarily the case as the Republican movement have already indicated that they will use this interview as further evidence that we need to dump the monarchy asap and of course it will further fuel republican demands in some more Caribbean nations, especially when Barbados becomes a republic later this year.

YouGov did multiple surveys on the monarchy and royal family followed by the Oprah's interview. There is also an YouGov article analysing the data. Only British adults were surveyed.

The main summarised findings are
  • Harry and Meghan's popularity falls to the lowest level ever after Oprah interview
  • Dispute has had limited impact on public’s view of senior royals, except for Prince Charles
  • There is still a strong support for Britain continuing to have a monarchy across all age group except the youngest (18-24)

Public opinion of Harry and Meghan falls to new low after Oprah interview
More people than not now have a negative view of Prince Harry, while public opinion of other senior royals largely remains unchanged
https://yougov.co.uk/topics/politic...ticle&utm_campaign=royal_family_favourability

Two surveys were used for the YouGov analysis and each of them have the usual breakdown of percentage. These surveys are in PDF format

Public Opinions on members of the Royal Family
  • Sample Size: 1664 GB Adults
  • Fieldwork: 10th - 11th March 2021
  • Question Asked: Thinking about the royal family, for each of the following please say whether you have a positive or negative opinion of them?
  • Option Answers: Very Positive, Fairly Positive, Fairly Negative, Very Negative & Don't Know [Total Positive & Total Negative]
Public Opinions on the Monarchy

• Sample Size: 1672 GB Adults
  • Fieldwork: 8th - 9th March 2021
  • Question Asked: Do you think Britain should continue to have a monarchy in the future, or should it be replaced with an elected head of state?
  • Option Answers: Should continue to have a monarchy, Should have an elected head of state instead & Don't Know

The numbers are very positive for the queen,duke and duchess of Cambridge, a slight increase for the Duchess of Cornwall but nose dive for the Prince of Wales,Duke and Duchess of Sussex.

Last edited:
Support for monarchy going down from 67% to 63% isn't a huge dive but combined with an increase of 21% to 25% for a preference for a republic is still a considerable effect probably related to Harry and Meghan's attacks on the monarchy.

YouGov did multiple surveys on the monarchy and royal family followed by the Oprah's interview. There is also an YouGov article analysing the data. Only British adults were surveyed.

The main summarised findings are
  • Harry and Meghan's popularity falls to the lowest level ever after Oprah interview
  • Dispute has had limited impact on public’s view of senior royals, except for Prince Charles
  • There is still a strong support for Britain continuing to have a monarchy across all age group except the youngest (18-24)

Public opinion of Harry and Meghan falls to new low after Oprah interview
More people than not now have a negative view of Prince Harry, while public opinion of other senior royals largely remains unchanged
https://yougov.co.uk/topics/politic...ticle&utm_campaign=royal_family_favourability

Two surveys were used for the YouGov analysis and each of them have the usual breakdown of percentage. These surveys are in PDF format

Public Opinions on members of the Royal Family
  • Sample Size: 1664 GB Adults
  • Fieldwork: 10th - 11th March 2021
  • Question Asked: Thinking about the royal family, for each of the following please say whether you have a positive or negative opinion of them?
  • Option Answers: Very Positive, Fairly Positive, Fairly Negative, Very Negative & Don't Know [Total Positive & Total Negative]
Public Opinions on the Monarchy

• Sample Size: 1672 GB Adults
  • Fieldwork: 8th - 9th March 2021
  • Question Asked: Do you think Britain should continue to have a monarchy in the future, or should it be replaced with an elected head of state?
  • Option Answers: Should continue to have a monarchy, Should have an elected head of state instead & Don't Know

I believe it is the first time in the YouGov series that Harry's favorability rating has fallen into negative territory ( - 3 ). Mehgan's rating at -27 , on the other hand, is truly abysmal.

The biggest concern for the RF should the PoW's rating which has also fallen to + 7 only versus + 21 in the previous poll (a sharp drop). [...]

Prince William also dropped from +65 to +60, which is still high though, while Catherine's rating was unchanged at +57.

Last edited by a moderator:
Support for monarchy going down from 67% to 63% isn't a huge dive but combined with an increase of 21% to 25% for a preference for a republic is still a considerable effect probably related to Harry and Meghan's attacks on the monarchy.

To be honest from the tone of some of the coverage you'd expect that a huge majority wanted a referendum on the Monarchy tomorrow and for each of them to beg forgiveness for everything live on TV, which definitely doesn't seem to be the case.

Clearly they will have to work on their image and the new Lord Chamberlain and others do have their work cut out, especially among the 18-24 year olds but it's not as bad as it could be, IMO.

And interesting that Harry and Meghan have actually sunk over all rather than gone up at least a bit.

I believe it is the first time in the YouGov series that Harry's favorability rating has fallen into negative territory ( - 3 ). Mehgan's rating at -27 , on the other hand, is truly abysmal.

The biggest concern for the RF should the PoW's rating which has also fallen to + 7 only versus + 21 in the previous poll (a sharp drop). [...]

Prince William also dropped from +65 to +60, which is still high though, while Catherine's rating was unchanged at +57.

It could also be related to Harry stating that his father no longer took his phone calls (if I understand it correctly, that referred to the period they were in Canada before their bombshell announcement) or how he described that they were 'suddenly' left hanging after Charles quit paying for their upkeep and security.

I guess the drop in support from 67 to 63 % is at the limit of the maximum margin of error, which means that it could still be a sampling error only, but, most likely, indicates some real movement in public opinion, albeit small.

I would be more curious to see the impact the interview had in other Commonwealth realms where support for the republic is stronger than in the UK. We have already seen pro-republic politicians using the interview to attack the monarchy in Australia, Barbados and Jamaica for example.

It could also be related to Harry stating that his father no longer took his phone calls (if I understand it correctly, that referred to the period they were in Canada before their bombshell announcement) or how he described that they were 'suddenly' left hanging after Charles quit paying for their upkeep and security.

I am not British, but, to me, the argument that they were cut off and had their security taken away is the one I would the least sympathize with. The idea that Harry would continue to get paid UK state security while he and his family were living full time as private citizens overseas is obviously unreasonable and the fact that Harry doesn't see that only suggests a sense of entitlement and lack of realism. The Canadians on the other hand apparently provided RCMP security to the Sussexes for almost five months (from November to March ?) until there was the so-called "change of status" after which they no longer qualified under current rules in place in Canada for public protection and Canadian public opinion was apparently opposed to their continuing to get state security paid for by Canada.

I think the jury is still out there on whether bailing out and going to the USA to pursue a private career was always Meghan's plan all along or not, but, to be fair to the Sussexes, what they told in the Oprah interview is that their initial plan was to stick with the role of full-time royals in the UK for life, but that became impossible when Meghan's mental health and even life were at risk. Then, they tried the "half-in, half-out" solution where they claim they genuinely believed they could continue to serve the Crown in some unspecified (and, I would add, unrealistic) role in a country in the Commonwealth (Harry, i think, mentioned New Zealand, Canada, or South Africa, which is not even a realm BTW, in the Oprah interview). When that plan was rejected and they were cut off, they allege they had to run away to California for safety reasons.

Last edited:
In the United Kingdom, there is not even a strong Republican party. The monarchy is secure and stable.

The numbers are very positive for the queen,duke and duchess of Cambridge, a slight increase for the Duchess of Cornwall but nose dive for the Prince of Wales,Duke and Duchess of Suffolk.

It looks like Charles support with younger Britons dropped. Those people probably have more sympathy for Meghan and Harry's complaints about being cut off financially.

spelling

The numbers are very positive for the queen,duke and duchess of Cambridge, a slight increase for the Duchess of Cornwall but nose dive for the Prince of Wales,Duke and Duchess of Sussex.

Sussex. :flowers:

It would be extremely impressive if one of the Dukes of Suffolk had good poll numbers.

I was always partial to Charles Brandon from The Sword and the Rose, albeit the film is a highly Disneyfied version of events. ;)

In the United Kingdom, there is not even a strong Republican party. The monarchy is secure and stable.

One never knows. Like in any monarchy it is a pure guess as no one has actually ever had any say in their country being a monarchy.

The British I know, working and living in the Netherlands, were not too complimentous about their royal family. But maybe the well-educated British expats working in my region are not representative for the general British mood at home.

Also here the Netherlands I seldom see people speaking with approval about the monarchy. No one is simply asked. We assume it is "popular" in the UK, in Sweden, in Belgium, etc. but no one has ever been asked. They simply live in a monarchy and that has always been the status quo. It has never been tested by asking all the milions in the secrecy of the ballot box.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom