State Visit from the Netherlands to Belgium: June 20 - 22, 2023

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The banquets have been at Laeken for a long, long time now.

Both Queens brought the bling bling. I'm delighted! If only we could have seen Elisabeth wearing her tiara...

I love the gowns worn by both Queens. For a minute I thought we would have to endure some Natan-athon fashion. Not bad at all!

I am looking forward King Willem Alexander Speech and how is he is speaking french?

Is king Philippe always so stiff? He seemed to have a lot of trouble walking.

He broke a rib not so long ago.

Is king Philippe always so stiff? He seemed to have a lot of trouble walking.

He had an accident recently while attempting to “ wingsurf”. King Willem-Alexander mentioned it in his speech.

BTW, the speeches by both kings were a bit odd, perhaps reflecting the peculiar intertwined history of Belgium and the Netherlands. King Willem-Alexander in particular was a bit undiplomatic in my opinion, but Kkng Philippe also teased the Dutch and mocked Dutch pride at times. Quite weird if you ask me.

He had an accident recently while attempting to “ wingsurf”. King Willem-Alexander mentioned it in his speech.

BTW, the speeches by both kings were a bit odd, perhaps reflecting the peculiar intertwined history of Belgium and the Netherlands. King Willem-Alexander in particular was a bit undiplomatic in my opinion, but Kkng Philippe also teased the Dutch and mocked Dutch pride at times. Quite weird if you ask me.

What was undiplomatic in your opinion? Imho Willem-Alexander was mostly self-deprecating in his speech - explaining how the Netherlands had not sufficiently valued the contribution of what was then the Southern part of the country; he clearly knows his history (he graduated in history, so he should) and incorporated both the past and various aspects of the visit in his speech.

Last edited:
What's happened with the Royal Palace? Is it under renovation? Why the banquet is at Laeken?

Yes the royal Palace is under renovation. One could see scaffolding at a Part of the outsede. Apparently this also the reason is not open this summer as usual.

But i think that has nothing to with the location of the State Banquet as the usually take place at Laken. Perhaps there they have better fitting rooms for it.

What a great speech. Humourous and self-reflecting and at the same time it is filled with warmth and affection.
Is King Philips speech also online?

It seems that Edoard Vermeulen (Natan) also attended the state banquet.

The Queens seem to have coordinated the wardrobe. On the first day the Dutch one wore a Belgian designer (Natan) and the Belgian one wore a designer who is located in the Netherlands (Iversen). The colours they wore were simular to the 2006 state visit: Mathilde in red and Máxima in beige. And today both ladies are in a floral print. They seem to know each other well.

Nice that they are spending the day in Wallonia. The King has been in Waterloo nearly 10 years ago to commemorate the battle.

I assume the next Belgo-Dutch state visit can only be held in quite some time. Though protocol around this issue may be relaxed in the future when deemed practical.

135 guests , the guests I saw were Dutch ,Queen Maxima welcomed them warmly what Queen Mathilde cannot do . They were complaints that it was awfully hot inside Laeken Castle?

Baron Vermeulen did attend . The first guests were Dutch as Queen Maxima knew them..

It seems that Edoard Vermeulen (Natan) also attended the state banquet.

The Queens seem to have coordinated the wardrobe. On the first day the Dutch one wore a Belgian designer (Natan) and the Belgian one wore a designer who is located in the Netherlands (Iversen). The colours they wore were simular to the 2006 state visit: Mathilde in red and Máxima in beige. And today both ladies are in a floral print. They seem to know each other well.

Nice that they are spending the day in Wallonia. The King has been in Waterloo nearly 10 years ago to commemorate the battle.

I assume the next Belgo-Dutch state visit can only be held in quite some time. Though protocol around this issue may be relaxed in the future when deemed practical.

Last edited by a moderator:
:previous:

Robbert Dijkgraaf, the minister of Education and Science I recognised. Earlier this week he was in a tv show and praised Belgian innovation etc. In 2013 -before he was minister- he was one of the heralds at the inauguration of King Willem-Alexander.

-
Tonight there will be a concert by the Amsterdam orchestra. In his speech the Dutch king joked that he thought it better not to organise an opera in Brussels (the Belgian independance from the Netherlands started after an opera).

What a great speech. Humourous and self-reflecting and at the same time it is filled with warmth and affection.
Is King Philips speech also online?

Yes. In French and in Dutch .

EDIT: The German version has been posted too.

Ah we got again to see some pics from an afterwards reception in the Greenhouses. We usually don't get to see pics from that. They only time remember it was the last dutch SV in 2006.

The Greenhouses are perfect for the after-dinner reception. The Royal Domain of Laeken is really impressive.

Last edited:
What was undiplomatic in your opinion? Imho Willem-Alexander was mostly self-deprecating in his speech - explaining how the Netherlands had not sufficiently valued the contribution of what was then the Southern part of the country; he clearly knows his history (he graduated in history, so he should) and incorporated both the past and various aspects of the visit in his speech.

And he,WA,did so very well indeed...and very funny referring to the Sinfonietta tonight as opposed to an opera,as he found that a tad tricky..hahaha...
but then one has to know what that was about.

Love this,plus the speechess,and how they get along,the girls couldn´t stop talking...Haha..

Astrid and Lorenz will attend the banquet, but Laurent and Claire will not. They were invited but they will not be present.

Another question: Elisabeth's exams were concluded?

Very disappointing that neither Laurent or Claire were present and especially having been invited.
More of the same I guess!

And he,WA,did so very well indeed...and very funny referring to the Sinfonietta tonight as opposed to an opera,as he found that a tad tricky..hahaha...
but then one has to know what that was about.

Love this,plus the speechess,and how they get along,the girls couldn´t stop talking...Haha..

(..)

Why are both national anthems played at the beginning of the banquet rather than playing each of them in alternate order after each Head of State's speech as they do in the UK? It seems that the British way makes much more sense.

Love the floral theme coordination on both queens and even lovelier they are given a bouquet that matches their dresses respectively.

Why are both national anthems played at the beginning of the banquet rather than playing each of them in alternate order after each Head of State's speech as they do in the UK? It seems that the British way makes much more sense.

Just a different practice. If you ask me I think to play the anthems at the beginning is much more sensible though.

Just a different practice. If you ask me I think to play the anthems at the beginning is much more sensible though.

Indeed,it is,to have them performed by a choir is just sublime.Loved it,all did I think.

Indeed,it is,to have them performed by a choir is just sublime.Loved it,all did I think.

I agree! The choir was indeed a nice touch and a great improvement from the earliest State Visit Philippe and Mathilde hosten in Laeken when they simply had a recording of the anthems played through the speakers.

Overall I really enjoyed watching the two Queens chatting together every time they had a chance, as you can see here

Who was sitting next to Queen Mathilde and who was sittting next to Queen Maxima ??

They could sing the Brabançonne in our two languages

The Opera was "La Muette de Portici " from Auber.
Robbert Dijkgraaf, the minister of Education and Science I recognised. Earlier this week he was in a tv show and praised Belgian innovation etc. In 2013 -before he was minister- he was one of the heralds at the inauguration of King Willem-Alexander.

-
Marengo said:
Tonight there will be a concert by the Amsterdam orchestra. In his speech the Dutch king joked that he thought it better not to organise an opera in Brussels (the Belgian independance from the Netherlands started after an opera).

Back
Top Bottom