State visit from Spain to the Netherlands: 16-18 April, 2024

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
If you scroll back to the videos, one of them, in spanish, gives this information. I think it is a Spanish newspaper

Do all four of the royals speak Spanish to each other in private conversation? I don’t think King Felipe and Queen Leti speak Dutch, but I don’t know how fluent King W-A is in Spanish.

Sad to see that the pain is so much that Letizia has to sit down a la Queen Margrethe at a SV. She has a few more decades to go as Queen and for her work life feet are essential, travels and stands a lot. I hope they find a better solution than sitting down going forward.
I found the official picture a bit unfortunate with the young Queens sitting (for health reasons obviously in L's case) but still the old queen Beatrix standing in the back holding on to Maxima's chair. At least for the official picture Letizia could have stood up as she did later during the banquet. I understand sitting down shaking all those hands but the picture looks very odd.

Sad to see that the pain is so much that Letizia has to sit down a la Queen Margrethe at a SV. She has a few more decades to go as Queen and for her work life feet are essential, travels and stands a lot. I hope they find a better solution than sitting down going forward. I found the official picture a bit unfortunate with the young Queens sitting (for health reasons obviously in L's case) but still the old queen Beatrix standing in the back holding on to Maxima's chair. At least for the official picture Letizia could have stood up as she did later during the banquet. I understand sitting down shaking all those hands but the picture looks very odd.
Don't think the placement in the Group pic was beacuse of Queen Letizia, that is how such pics for State Banquets are done in NL, that was even the case under Queen Juliana.
As for Queen Letizia she wore quiet high shoes in the morning for the Welcome Ceremony, probably this was a bit too much. Would perhaps have been better to wear flatter ones then

Was there a communication from the royal house about this? In a day and age where so much attention is given to medical privacy I am wondering how is this information known? Thanks
The Royal House already reported her problem two years ago. Her main problem is that she cannot stand for a long time. In Spain they have made small adaptations so that she does not suffer problems (on National Day when they greet hundreds of people they make small stops) but in other countries it is more complicated to do so. According to a royal chronicler, after Denmark's dinner she had an outbreak that caused her pain for several days, and yesterday they decided for her to sit down to avoid it.

Duke, I don't think the family photo sitting was due to that, because in the Netherlands they usually do it when the group is large because the room is small. During Juan Carlos and Sofía's visit, the photo was already like this.

King Willem-Alexander and King Felipe attend an event in The Hague for Spanish and Dutch businesses in the cybersecurity and fintech sectors.

Queen Máxima and Queen Letizia visit LAB6

Tenth anniversary celebrations of the Amsterdam Spanish Film Festival at the Royal Theatre Tuschinski cinema.

The official photo looks like they color-coordinated, with the various shades of blue for the ladies. It looked lovely, imho.

The Royal House already reported her problem two years ago. Her main problem is that she cannot stand for a long time. In Spain they have made small adaptations so that she does not suffer problems (on National Day when they greet hundreds of people they make small stops) but in other countries it is more complicated to do so. According to a royal chronicler, after Denmark's dinner she had an outbreak that caused her pain for several days, and yesterday they decided for her to sit down to avoid it.

Duke, I don't think the family photo sitting was due to that, because in the Netherlands they usually do it when the group is large because the room is small. During Juan Carlos and Sofía's visit, the photo was already like this.
Thanks to those pointing out, I was not aware of this custom at SVs.
I still find it unfortunate to have the elderly ladies Beatrix and Margriet standing up, with Beatrix holding on to a chair.

Don't think the placement in the Group pic was beacuse of Queen Letizia, that is how such pics for State Banquets are done in NL, that was even the case under Queen Juliana.
As for Queen Letizia she wore quiet high shoes in the morning for the Welcome Ceremony, probably this was a bit too much. Would perhaps have been better to wear flatter ones then
Letizia has been wearing kitten heels like yesterday for some time now. If the problem is so severe, she will end up wearing flat or even orthopaedic shoes, as kitten heels are very pointy and still put pressure on the foot.

The 2 Queens on Day 2
PPE Agency

The 2 Kings on Day 2 - visit to the European Space Research and Technology Center (ESTEC) in Noordwijk
PPE Agency

Last edited:
The neckline of Amalia's dress obscures her necklace. She might as well not be wearing one.

Obviously,most of you were wrong on the Orders bit..It is not as frumpy as it used to be,but still a grand honour!!Really...come and see 2024!

The order for Letitia is still baffling me - Queen Mary of Denmark when she was still Crown Princess received the highest order in the Netherlands, & currently all Queen Consorts have the highest order so it baffles me the choice for Letizia. Especially as these couples seem close and spend time together

The order for Letitia is still baffling me - Queen Mary of Denmark when she was still Crown Princess received the highest order in the Netherlands, & currently all Queen Consorts have the highest order so it baffles me the choice for Letizia. Especially as these couples seem close and spend time together
I also didn't understand the choice to give him that order. But it may be that when the King and Queen of the Netherlands make their state visit to Spain (which I believe will happen soon) they will give another order.

King Felipe and Queen Letizia will host a return hospitality reception for King Willem-Alexander and Queen Máxima at STRAAT, Amsterdam’s museum for street art and graffiti. The Princess of Orange will also attend the reception.

Photos at STRAAT

Last edited:
I also didn't understand the choice to give him that order. But it may be that when the King and Queen of the Netherlands make their state visit to Spain (which I believe will happen soon) they will give another order.
That will probab;ly happen indeed. Though in some corners of the press it has been interpreted as exceptional in a positive way. The Dutch Lion is handed out on advice of the government while the one Letizia has is more the King's perogative and more personal and rare. So they wondered if the King perhaps personally wanted to stress his appreciation, esp. as the order is not handed out very often. In the light of the other things that were said perhaps as a thanks for any assistance received during Amalia's year there?

That will probab;ly happen indeed. Though in some corners of the press it has been interpreted as exceptional in a positive way. The Dutch Lion is handed out on advice of the government while the one Letizia has is more the King's perogative and more personal and rare. So they wondered if the King perhaps personally wanted to stress his appreciation, esp. as the order is not handed out very often. In the light of the other things that were said perhaps as a thanks for any assistance received during Amalia's year there?
And if she will get the Lion of the Netherlands later she will endlich up with three dutch Orders

I appreciate the updates from Casa Real but shouldn’t they at least call the king “Guillermo-Alejandro”?

Nice to see that whatever else Amalia may be uncertain about, she can curtsey like a champ.

Photos:

King Felipe and Queen Letizia will host a return hospitality reception for King Willem-Alexander and Queen Máxima at STRAAT, Amsterdam’s museum for street art and graffiti. The Princess of Orange will also attend the reception.

Photos at STRAAT

Princess Margriet and prof. mr. Pieter van Vollenhoven (who was absent at the state banquet) were also present.

So nice to see the video of the receiving line and the speeches at the banquet. QM looked so great , perfect posture and poise. Both kings made very good speeches, never heard WA speak before, they both have American accents. Just wish KF would shave off that while aging beard, he is so attractive

What a warm good bye from King Alexander to King Felipe to thank Him and his Country to have allowed Amalia to study in Spain with high protection. (just read it in my newspaper).

Back
Top Bottom