State visit from Spain to the Netherlands: 16-18 April, 2024

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
In the media and on social media yes, but behind it a lot of valuable works is done: diplomatic meetings between the two countries, politicians talking to each other, business & trade contacts and subsequent contracts, universities & scientific meetings ...

In the past State Visits were focused on the Monarch or on the President.
Now is goes about the fashion and jewels of their Consorts . Sad !
There are separate threads for all of those topics and you can discuss the actual State Visit here.

Last edited:
I imagine they will stay in Amsterdam? It will be handier as they will be travelling with a large party.

The return event will be in a former warehouse in Amsterdam Noord, now a museum about grafiti [street] art. Not the most predictable venue perhaps. I wonder if we will see long dresses, even cocktail dresses seem too formal for the museum.

Last edited:
I imagine they will stay in Amsterdam? It will be handier as they will be travelling with a large party.

The return event will be in a former warehouse in Amsterdam Noord, now a museum about grafiti [street] art. Not the most predictable venue perhaps. I wonder if we will see long dresses, even cocktail dresses seem to formal for the museum.
According to the Spanish press, they will be staying in the Royal Palace of Amsterdam.
I don't think we'll see long dresses in the museum, it would be very atypical for Spaniards. Etiquette will depend on the time of the event.

King Felipe and Queen Letizia arrive to Schiphol

King Felipe VI of Spain and Queen Letizia of Spain attend a reception to Spanish community at the NH Collection Amsterdam Barbizon Palace Hotel

The flag of Spain is already flying at the Royal Palace of Amsterdam, residence of King Felipe and Queen Letizia on their state visit.

Last edited:
King Felipe VI and Queen Letizia land in Amsterdam and begin their State Visit to the Netherlands.

King Felipe VI and Queen Letizia receive the Spanish community residing in the Netherlands upon their arrival in Amsterdam.

Speech from the King Felipe VI to the Spanish community in the Netherlands.

You can watch the State Banquet in honor of the King and Queen of Spain live from 8:15 pm (Spanish time).

Last edited:
The Dutch royal standard is also flying so they must be staying there too instead of in The Hague.

It's a bit of a weird state visit. Spain seems to treat it as a 3-day visit, while the Netherlands treats it as a 2-day visit. Today Felipe and Letizia met with the Spanish community before they even officially met their hosts.

Is that normal that the visiting guests are already staying at the official guest residence before the official start of the State Visit?
Don't think this is the case in the UK

It's a bit of a weird state visit. Spain seems to treat it as a 3-day visit, while the Netherlands treats it as a 2-day visit. Today Felipe and Letizia met with the Spanish community before they even officially met their hosts.
That is very odd.

Welcome ceremony

Live

King Felipe and Queen Letizia lay a wreath at the National Monument in Dam Square.

Last edited:
Watching the livestream and...OMG, Queen Maxima looks ravishing.

Such a pity that -unlike in Belgium- they decided against a proper cleaning of the Palace walls. It always looks gloomy and dirty.
The weather does seem to cooporate.

Such a pity that -unlike in Belgium- they decided against a proper cleaning of the Palace walls. It always looks gloomy and dirty.
The weather does seem to cooporate.
The Amsterdam Palace/Dam Square is not the nicest choice for a State ceremonial welcome ,there are far nicer venues.
I understand the logistics of the venue.

Welcome Ceremony

Last edited:
King Felipe VI and Queen Letizia went to the National Monument in Dam Square, where a Floral Offering was held in which two soldiers placed a wreath in front of the monument, before the mandatory bugle call and minute of silence.

I was checking the genealogy websites for Matt at his YouTube channel a month ago and in a mention, he stated the House of Orange and the Trastamaras, from whom Felipe is a direct descendant, did mix up centuries ago via the female line. So, King Felipe and King William are cousins as far as before our modern two nations existed.

Just imagine visiting your cousin's home in 2024 whose family branched out half a millennia ago.

Maxima looks great with the hat, but I don't like the one Letizia picked up. It's like she stop by a bakery on her way to the event and put an oversized croissant on her head.

Maxima looks great with the hat, but I don't like the one Letizia picked up. It's like she stop by a bakery on her way to the event and put an oversized croissant on her head.

Melted croissant?

Back
Top Bottom