Queen Sonja Jewels 2: 2022 -

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I do wonder what occasion the NRF will consider appropriate to bring out the Queen Maud diamond tiara, not seen for 30 years and returned for more than 10 years ago. If it is not debuted for the CP 50 th birthdays (some new official photos maybe) I dont know when we will ever see it.

I think we have not seen Queen Maud's diamond tiara because Queen Sonja has her pool of tiaras and seems not want to expand it and the Crown Princess has also no Interest and stucks to her 2 favorites.

I think the dress works well with the Elephant sash and even the necklace, but the tiara is too much, though I'm not sure what tiara Sonja could've substituted.

I think we have not seen Queen Maud's diamond tiara because Queen Sonja has her pool of tiaras and seems not want to expand it and the Crown Princess has also no Interest and stucks to her 2 favorites.

I think that the Queen Maud's Diamond Tiara was left for Crown princess Mette-Marit to use in a special occasion, I don't know if will be there a 50th birthday joint gala this year...

Sonja is a type of Lady in Green

That's probably one of her favourite and it suits her so well.

Sonja wears the Emerald Parure tonight

Sonja

Sonja wears the Emerald Parure tonight

Sonja

I am a bit perplexed by the too frequent use Queen Sonja does of this parure. She sticks to it too often in my opinion. She has other tiaras we’d like to see sometimes too. She has been using it also for very minor events.
I also think she loves it and find it comfortable to wear.

I am a bit perplexed by the too frequent use Queen Sonja does of this parure. She sticks to it too often in my opinion. She has other tiaras we’d like to see sometimes too. She has been using it also for very minor events.
I also think she loves it and find it comfortable to wear.

That is what i think too. She overuses it in the last years. Around 10 years ago she also used different ones then the Star Wars tiara or the Malteser tiara which she hasn't worn for years. She also doesn't use the Josephine tiara as often anymore.

That is what i think too. She overuses it in the last years. Around 10 years ago she also used different ones then the Star Wars tiara or the Malteser tiara which she hasn't worn for years. She also doesn't use the Josephine tiara as often anymore.

I agree, the Josephine tiara is stunning and she has lovely diamond jewellery to wear with it. I love the pearl and diamond tiara she has too and both that and the Josephine are impressive enough to wear to big events. The emeralds are beautiful but you'd think they were all she had.

She uses it a lot but with her colouring the emerald indeed look the best.

I'm a bit tired of seeing the emerald tiara with all those yellow gowns she owns. And I miss seeing the lovely diamond tiara of Queen Josephine more often. But the emeralds are the most serious tiara in her collection and it is only right that they should be worn at a golden jubilee, especially as they also have a link to the Swedish royal family.

I can see why they like to take the emerald parure to Sweden as it comes from King Haralds maternal grandmother Princess Ingeborg who gave it to her daughter Märtha when she fled with her children to USA during the War.

Princess Ingeborg literally gave the Parure to her daughter at the train station, telling her to sell it if they would run out of money…. Luckily that was never needed

Last edited:
Queen Sonja has warm colouring and that may be why she likes to wear the emeralds.
I like these royal ladies to be discreet. So, it may be nicer if she wore fewer of the emerald pieces at any one time. She plonks them all on.

For the Golden Jubilee through emeralds wherever obvious choice because they came from Sweden. But I wish she it nit do much for other Events like the Storting Dinner etc.

Last edited:
I'm a bit tired of seeing the emerald tiara with all those yellow gowns she owns. And I miss seeing the lovely diamond tiara of Queen Josephine more often. But the emeralds are the most serious tiara in her collection and it is only right that they should be worn at a golden jubilee, especially as they also have a link to the Swedish royal family.

I am very fond of the Queen Josephine tiara as well, but Sonja seems to wear it quite rarely.

After the last gala dinner in Denmark Trond Noren Isaksen made a talley over queen Sonjas tiara use the last ten years on his Facebook page:

At the gala dinner at Amalienborg, Queen Sonja wore the emerald tiara with accompanying jewellery. This is what she always chooses for the biggest events, but also for many other events. In the last ten years, she has worn it eleven times.

The favorite is the reconstruction of the stolen pearl and diamond tiara of Queen Maud, which she has worn seventeen times in the last ten years. Between March 2015 and April 2016, she actually wore it to five gala dinners in a row.

In fact, in the last ten years she has worn only four tiaras. The diamond tiara long mistakenly attributed to Queen Désirée, but which the royal family through my new book has now learned belonged to Empress Joséphine, she has worn three times in the last ten years and the modern gold tiara made by Millie Behrens she has worn once this the period.

The fact that the Queen almost always wears the same jewelery may have contributed to the perception that the Norwegian royal family does not have much jewellery, but that perception is not correct. In the vault are, among other things, the Maltese cross tiara after Queen Alexandra of Great Britain, which has not been worn since 2011, Queen Maud's large diamond tiara, which has not been worn since 1993, and an unknown tiara that no one in the royal family has ever worn in public.

In her old age Queen Sonja seems to like modern jewellery for daytime, instead of the many beautiful and historic brooches that is in the norwegian collection. The beautiful aquamarine brooch after Queen Maud which Mette-Marit now uses she has only ever worn once in her youth.

Last edited:
Sonja wore the replica of Queen Maud's Pearl Tiara at the Stortingsmiddag tonight:

Pic

Last edited:
Sonja's tiara appearance in 2023:

1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 |

Last edited:
Amélie of Leuchtenberg wearing emerald parure

Amélie wearing an emerald parure and the insignia of the Order of the Rose (undated). It was established by Emperor Pedro I to commemorate his marriage to her.

In this Wikipedia article, there is a portrait of Amelie of Leuchtenberg wearing the emerald parure in its modern day setting. Has it always been flexible? I always understood that the earrings were taking from the tiara and the elements replaced with palmettes in more modern times. Yet, in this portrait, Amelie is wearing the large emerald drop earrings and the tiara already has the palmettes in place.

Amélie of Leuchtenberg wearing emerald parure
In this Wikipedia article, there is a portrait of Amelie of Leuchtenberg wearing the emerald parure in its modern day setting. Has it always been flexible? I always understood that the earrings were taking from the tiara and the elements replaced with palmettes in more modern times. Yet, in this portrait, Amelie is wearing the large emerald drop earrings and the tiara already has the palmettes in place.

Its a fake
Trond Noren Isaksen writes about it here
https://www.instagram.com/p/CsyR2GuoWlD/?igsh=MXFhZXBnejM5cDNoNQ==

It was Princess Ingeborg who took out the big stones to make earrings and replaced them with the palmettes

I had suspected it might be a fake. It would have changed our idea on the history of this piece if it wasn't.

Brazilian historia Claudia Thome Witte that studies Empress Amelia life, has talked about her jewels and even went to Sweden and spoke with queen Silvia about the jewels coming from the empress. She found written documents that the empress mother Princess Augusta of Bavaria gave emerald jewels to her daughters when they got married. Empress Amelie parure was comissioned by her mother so the new empress could wear it for her wedding with the Emperor, but it was not finished in time for the wedding. so the painting from the wedding where we can see the parure was made later, but that painting on the post above should be acurate, and also it is thought the emeralds are brazilian. there is a video but its in brazilian portuguese about the jewels :

Brazilian historia Claudia Thome Witte that studies Empress Amelia life, has talked about her jewels and even went to Sweden and spoke with queen Silvia about the jewels coming from the empress. She found written documents that the empress mother Princess Augusta of Bavaria gave emerald jewels to her daughters when they got married. Empress Amelie parure was comissioned by her mother so the new empress could wear it for her wedding with the Emperor, but it was not finished in time for the wedding. so the painting from the wedding where we can see the parure was made later, but that painting on the post above should be acurate, and also it is thought the emeralds are brazilian. there is a video but its in brazilian portuguese about the jewels :

But i is certain that the tiara was changed in the 1920/30 when 2 oval shaped emeralds near the square emerald where removed to make earrings and replaced though the fan motivs.

For the Tanzania state banquet this evening, Queen Sonja wore Queen Maud's pearl tiara in the larger setting, and her usual accompanying pearl necklaces.

Queen Sonja of Norway wore Queen Maud’s Pearl Tiara for the banquet during the state visit from Tanzania at the Royal Palace in Oslo, Norway on 13 February 2024.
Pic

The Queen's jewels all work perfectly together and make a very regal appearance!

The Queen's jewels all work perfectly together and make a very regal appearance!

Indeed, a real classic. It is a pairing of jewellery that has stood the test of time for Queen Sonja.

Back
Top Bottom